• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's hyperbole and circle-jerking of GTA5 is pretty embarassing

antitrop

This is how IGN has operated for a long time. Is what it is. Only thing that gets on my nerves at this point is that people rush to hate on a place like Polygon, which is willing to make unpopular statements and write unpopular reviews outside of the general consensus, however right or wrong they may be, and people just kind of accept(or even embrace) IGN because at least their favorite AAA game will always get a good score.
I defended Polygon when that website first went up, but they have proven themselves less trustworthy than IGN and their reviews section is probably the worst of any major gaming site.

Too bad, I wanted Polygon to be cool.

Jonboy

My heart fluttered in response to such an averse reaction to the subject at hand, from the original source of the conversation, no less! I settled my hand against my forehead, momentarily breaking from my routine to give thought to the powerful and oppositional statement.

Alas, after finally attaining a true grip on the words in question, a formulation of my own statement had occurred, and in all of its glory, here it shall be posted:

"It was pure Hollywood. A random, breathtaking moment of awesome directly stemming from a post the OP made. A purely emergent, back-and-forth dance more exciting than every pre-constructed and predictable GTA thread I've ever half-heartedly F5'ed my way through.

Make no mistake; NeoGAF is made of moments just like this.

And it feels incredible."
7890f6112c0b7925960efaa915a58a56-dropmic3.gif

Dawg

Why does something's worth en masse even matter?

I think Deadly Premonition is one of the best games this generation, a narrative masterpiece. But I'm not going to feel betrayed or blind sided when the critical reception is lukewarm at best.

Oh, I'm not saying it's all that matters but TLOU is a game that is generally accepted as a very good game. I have yet to find many haters and pretty much everyone likes it.

Now, compare it with GTA IV. The one GTA game where people either love it or hate it. There's actually a pretty big group that dislikes the game. So yeah, the many 10/10s felt weird.

Well, I did enjoy Saint's Row 3 and Red Dead Redemption more than GTA IV...

Although Red Dead is straight up my #2 pick for GOTG after TLoU, so that's a hard bargain.
I hear you. Sleepy Dogs was quite good as well. My point is, even in its genre GTAIV wasn't even at the top.

That said I have an incredible amount of optimism for GTA V, but previews like this just remind me of what happened with GTA IV and my hackles get raised a bit.

Famassu

Because GAF doesn't want to enjoy anything. Or let others enjoy anything.
Again, problem is not enjoying game. Problem is their descriptions being even worse than any official PR could ever hope to achieve (seriously, 5 pages for a masturbatory preview when a lot of games deserving of such a thorough REVIEW hardly get more than 1 page at the site) IN ADDITION to how IGN wrote about GTAIV as if it's some flawless masterpiece that has even triumphed most of Hollywood when it comes to storytelling, even though the story was flawed beyond belief and gameplay had fucktons of issues.

I started reading their initial "exclusive coverage" and promptly stopped once I realized it was going to read like a 13 year old's journal entry.

Toparaman

Banned
Everyday I go on YouTube and look at the trailers only to be amazed once again like a child experiencing ice cream for the first time or when a grown man finally gets fellatio. Looking at the landscape and seeing the Downtown towers in the horizon that is brimming with life that Rockstar North have carefully detailed. Characters that are not only for the first time 3-Dimensional but also as a allegory for today's society. As an 18 year old male I find myself relating to these characters in way that I could not even think. You thought The Last of Us had meaning? True it did, but this has 3x the meaning.

(bolding is mine) ROFL. Come on dude.

I need to remember this thread for a few months from now.

iammeiam

I imagine games played this way--in carefully selected chunks, before everyone knows everything, in carefully controlled environments--are the most fun, most enjoyable, best games. The bad parts of a game can be hidden entirely, nothing has time to get old and boring, and everything is shiny and new.

So hyperbolic previews may be entirely representative of the true feelings of the previewed, but they're also relatively useless for anything more than very broad impressions along the lines of "Is the game horribly broken?" It's reviewing a movie based on the trailer, letting your brain fill in all the best bits that must surely be in the final product.

Prerelease hype of things as BEST EVER at this point just makes me tired. I like previews that highlight warts, because it's easier to believe they represent the real final product.

antitrop

I imagine games played this way--in carefully selected chunks, before everyone knows everything, in carefully controlled environments--are the most fun, most enjoyable, best games. The bad parts of a game can be hidden entirely, nothing has time to get old and boring, and everything is shiny and new.
I bet nobody knew how fucking annoying the cell phone would turn out to be in GTA IV from those preview "slices"...

NeoUltima

Yeah, I closed their preview article after the first paragraph. It made me laugh though, so I give them credit for that.

imfinnegan

Neo Member
The praise goes even beyond hyperbole because the way they are writing the articles it written as if it's a novel and some blessed human is allowed to take a stroll through heaven and these are his experiences.

God forbid a person who is paid to write tries to write his pieces well.

bj00rn_

Banned
How dare people being excited over a game!!!

Cynicism >>>>>>>>>>>>> Having fun

Hells yeah!

..Oh wait, too excited over cynicism, I take it back.. :|

My heart fluttered in response to such an averse reaction to the subject at hand, from the original source of the conversation, no less! I settled my hand against my forehead, momentarily breaking from my routine to give thought to the powerful and oppositional statement.

Alas, after finally attaining a true grip on the words in question, a formulation of my own statement had occurred, and in all of its glory, here it shall be posted:

"It was pure Hollywood. A random, breathtaking moment of awesome directly stemming from a post the OP made. A purely emergent, back-and-forth dance more exciting than every pre-constructed and predictable GTA thread I've ever half-heartedly F5'ed my way through.

Make no mistake; NeoGAF is made of moments just like this.

And it feels incredible."

This is beautiful.

The 4 words I learnt from GAF

1.hyperbole
2.Strawman
3.tar baby

I started using them in my everyday life and everyone's like WTF are you saying?

Gaf needs new obscure words no one uses in the real world.

GAFlish.

wat

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
IGN catches hate from GAF when it criticizes big games (Battlefield 4), or when it hypes up big games (this thread).

UrbanRats

We were talking about GTA IV :p

The initial post seemed to be embarrassed by GTAV receiving all 10s, like GTAIV before it:
Is this game gonna get 10/10s from everybody like GTA IV? Pretty embarrassing.
I don't think there's anything embarrassing in that, since it looks like it could be a 10/10 game (depending on your metric of course, but using the one that gave TLoU a 10).
--
I still think the writing in these previews is shameless and embarrassing, just to be clear.

Horns

Was the hyperbole over the top in the last two IGN articles? Sure. They survive on mostly ad revenue so they play it up when they get one of year's best exclusives.

But at the same time I read a lot of hyperbole at GAF. "OMGz GTA IV was no fun" "It was sooo boring I quit after only 30 hours"

You have to extract what you want from it.

Alrus

Honestly, it's understandable that they love the game and it's not really an issue.

What I find embarrassing is the over written messes that IGN tries to pass as review. The examples in the OP are exactly that, it's almost cringeworthy...

antitrop

IGN catches hate from GAF when it criticizes big games (Battlefield 4), or when it hypes up big games (this thread).
It certainly couldn't be about the specific content found within the articles, instead of your silly generalization, could it?

I thought lots of publications wrote articles to promote things every now and then. I don't see anything wrong the IGN articles apart from the childish writing style.

Dawg

The initial post seemed to be embarrassed by GTAV receiving all 10s, like GTAIV before it:

I don't think there's anything embarrassing in that, since it looks like it could be a 10/10 game (depending on your metric of course, but using the one that gave TLoU a 10).
--
I still think the writing in these previews is shameless and embarrassing, just to be clear.

I do too. Even if this game turns out to be really really good. It's the sort of text people look back at with shame months after the game got released.

AkuMifune

Banned
Oh, has the GTAV hate started already? I thought it would at least come as the reviews come out.

It began when V was announced. It makes some people so pissed that GTA is still the best thing in gaming despite all their efforts to diminish what makes the series so great, especially since IV...ludonarrative warts and all.

You mean the expression of opinions?

I think the basis for the thread was how poorly written and presented these opinions are.

Well, what is their audience? Does IGN cater to 45 year old academics or more of the sitcom crowd?

Was it a little over the top? A bit. But it was used to convey how much the writer enjoyed the little time he got with the game. I honestly don't see a problem with this. It's like the second somebody really enjoys something (not just likes, but we're talking really enjoys) it's all moneyhats, conspiracies, and catering to 12 year olds (which isn't inherently wrong).

I mean, were you expecting citations and thesis submissions? I've read a variety of things on their site and with a game like GTA, it's going to be teenagers playing it. So I would say they are just targeting their core market.

I don't think 30 year old college educated heavily-entrenched into the gaming scene market is much of a thing outside of GAF.

Withnail

Everybody here should know what to expect from an IGN exclusive preview. Publishers certainly do.

Just don't read it.

Top Bottom