• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's hyperbole and circle-jerking of GTA5 is pretty embarassing

Chinner

Banned
it's a pretty pointless exercise. at this point everyone knows that gta5 will be good. this review isn't to actually sell the game, because most are already convinced, this is just fanboy drivel for people to wank while monitoring the metercritic percentage.

Oh, I'm not saying it's all that matters but TLOU is a game that is generally accepted as a very good game. I have yet to find many haters and pretty much everyone likes it.

Now, compare it with GTA IV. The one GTA game where people either love it or hate it. There's actually a pretty big group that dislikes the game. So yeah, the many 10/10s felt weird.

GAF has blinded you.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Exclusive previews should be taken with a large grain of salt regardless of the game, and It does seem like IGN went a bit overboard with it. It fairly logical people are question this but we'll see how much of it accurate to the majority of "gamers" once it comes out

MJLord

I actually liked the style of writing. I also enjoyed it when PCGamer did a similar piece on Minecraft too. It was in the style or a diary If I remember right and it really made me want to give it a go.

Adding a bit of hype into the preview is a perfectly reasonable thing imo, the people who write these pieces are no different than you and are probably just as excited for its release.

Baleoce

ryan.jpg

out of context... but still so great.

Hah, now this takes me back.

There ill always be a segment of the population that will refuse to believe a reviewer just has a different opinion. If it's felt that they enjoyed a game to much, it's moneyhats, fanboyism, sucking up to a publishers, etc. If they didn't like a game enough (especially a niche game) it's that they sucked at the game, didn't understand it, was biased against it, wasn't moneyhatted enough, etc.

None of which is really constructive.

As for this, it's enthusiast press covering a big title enthusiastically. Personally I don't like the narrative style the writer has been using, while it gives off the ecstatic impressions of the writer it also makes it harder to pull out the actual details of what they're talking about. Also the some of the descriptive language is a bit messy. But I don't sense a false enthusiasm in the writing at all.

I may not end up enjoying the game as much as the IGN writer does, but they're also playing it in advance in an ideal environment with the developers. Anytime I see that I take some of the excitement with a grain of salt and glean what information I consider relevant to my interests.

And that's a great outlook. My argument is with belittling the write because it doesn't cater to 'your' needs as a consumer.

I also have a feeling that with these previews, there is a lot of "BEST CONCERT EVER!" going on. Which is completely understandable. I mean, I couldn't imagine being able to try GTA V with the developers in the room and playing against them. I'd probably be gushing too. And my writings would reflect that. I just think the which-hunt for conspiracies and moneyhats is a little over the top and all I read in that preview was somebody genuinely excited about what they experienced and they wanted to convey that in a more descriptive way than a bullet point checklist.

gazele

Banned
There's that word again... hyperbole.

Is this now the official word of NeoGAF?

This is officially the worst post in the whole world wide web.

This is literally the most hyperbolically sarcastic response in the history of mankind

b0bbyJ03

eh, i don't see anything wrong with them loving a game and especially one as popular as the GTA series. the masses love these type of games.

Alienous

It is an entirely non-critical hands-on preview that was a waste of time to write, or read. It gives you an insight into how some of these games get huge scores, solely because the writer of the review feels like he's some part of an exclusive club.

I'm skimming through it, and all I could think was "... really?". How about addressing some of the issues, or even the general gameplay. "The controls were tight, but just loose enough to allow me to target the general vicinity of an enemy", "The driving is much improved from GTA IV; cars feel like they have more traction, and turns feel more deliberate", "The soundtrack is impressive. It ramps up as you encounter more enemies, vehicles and other obstacles".

I dunno, just something of use. The excessive prose used in the preview ... blegh, "I could feel the sensation rip through my hands as they shake. Flashes accompanied the sound of death, steering directly into the hearts of my foes. Each bullet was accompanied by the calming 'ping' of the bullet casing hitting the ground, almost Newtonian in execution. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, and when that action is death, corpses quickly litter the streets. 30 bullets, many dead. My hands are still shaking". Oh, really, you shot a fucking gun? Can you not just say that?

I love how the OP is incapable of expressing his opinion without resorting to personal attacks, embarrassingly bitter projecting, and extreme hyperbole.

Sad & salty bro. :(

While I agree they're hyping a lot in some of their other coverage of the game, I'm not opposed to sharing stories from gameplay since, for me at least, the GTA series has arguably been more about those 'holy cow did you see that' moments than the story since the jump to 3D. In GTA IV I was sitting near a date location, parked by the curb after having stolen a vehicle type that the woman liked. I didn't want to get my new ride messed up and there were only a few minutes to wait, so I figured I'd just sit near the house for the pick-up arrow to appear.

After a minute or so, there was a commotion in the intersection behind me, then a vehicle slammed into the back of mine at full speed. I was stunned, my new car was ruined and the date was about to happen - but then it got really weird. The driver of the other vehicle jumped out of his smoking car and pulled me out of my own.

With a cop car arriving on the scene I was left without a clue what to do. I couldn't steal the car back without attracting police attention, and I didn't know if I could shake them in time for the date. Shaking my head, I let the guy speed off in my car with the cops in hot pursuit - leaving an intersection full of mayhem in their wake.

Then my date icon popped, so I triggered it. She walked out and the first words out of her mouth were the "What, you didn't bring a car? Are we supposed to walk?" line, so I shot her.

I shared that in my review of the game...because that kind of thing is awesome. I'm excited there looks to be way more of that random stuff this time around.

"And it feels incredible"

Amir0x

Banned
What really annoyed me about this 'experience' piece was that he was often describing events that in no way make GTA special at all - it's just what would be in any open world game, like that introduction - and then trying to make it seem like "WOW GTAV IS AMAZING BECAUSE IT LETS STUFF LIKE THIS HAPPEN"

It's really a painful piece and of extremely limited use to me as a consumer, so yeah. I'm super hyped for GTAV, but I now know to immediately disregard any opinions from the media once again. I know how this song and dance will go. Trusted NeoGAFers will be the opinions I listen to.

Im not interested in GTA after this shit. I wait for the first user reviews because they are more important than bought hyperbole previews and reviews.

BillyBats

Banned
This is going to be hard for me to convey my thoughts in writing, but here it goes: Why have modern gamers created this lofty set of goals that games have to meet? What are "you" (gamers) comparing a game like GTA 5 to? Basically, what is the Citizen Kane or Godfather that a game like GTA 5 must live up to?

I see theads like this all the time on GAF. "Bioshock Infinite....what could have been, or why it sucked etc." "Skyrim, why it is horrible part 4." "Mass Effect 3, you are a dickhead if you liked this game." I don't care about the debate part, I wonder if some people can actually enjoy anything. I LOVE the fact that people can still get excited about games. I would hate to live in a world where a game like GTA 5 ISN'T met with goofy anticipation. A new GTA release is like the Superbowl times 100 for gamers. Sometimes things are just fun, especially when it comes to video games.

Gaz_RB

Think tomorrow they might talk with Rockstar and ease our worries on how the game will run technically? Supposedly they are going to be talk to Rockstar about how they did all this with current gen tech.

Pain

Banned
I'm not even reading the previews. I'm already buying the game no matter what just like all my friends.

Fixed1979

What really annoyed me about this 'experience' piece was that he was often describing events that in no way make GTA special at all - it's just what would be in any open world game, like that introduction - and then trying to make it seem like "WOW GTAV IS AMAZING BECAUSE IT LETS STUFF LIKE THIS HAPPEN"

It's really a painful piece and of extremely limited use to me as a consumer, so yeah. I'm super hyped for GTAV, but I now know to immediately disregard any opinions from the media once again. I know how this song and dance will go. Trusted NeoGAFers will be the opinions I listen to.

It's because "articles" like this aren't based on any actual content. The most important thing is the language used to describe, not what's actually being described. It's standard low brow gaming press stuff, complete drivel applying itself to the lowest denominator. Serving only to try to create excitement based on excitement. It may have worked on me if I was 12 years old, but it's just tiring now.

GunBR

So, according to this thread TLOU get a 10 because it was incredible and GTA V it's gonna get a 10 just because R* paid everyone, that's it?

It is an entirely non-critical hands-on preview that was a waste of time to write, or read. It gives you an insight into how some of these games get huge scores, solely because the writer of the review feels like he's some part of an exclusive club.

I'm skimming through it, and all I could think was "... really?". How about addressing some of the issues, or even the general gameplay. "The controls were tight, but just loose enough to allow me to target the general vicinity of an enemy", "The driving is much improved from GTA IV; cars feel like they have more traction, and turns feel more deliberate", "The soundtrack is impressive. It ramps up as you encounter more enemies, vehicles and other obstacles".

I dunno, just something of use. The excessive prose used in the preview ... blegh, "I could feel the sensation rip through my hands as they shake. Flashes accompanied the sound of death, steering directly into the hearts of my foes. Each bullet was accompanied by the calming 'ping' of the bullet casing hitting the ground, almost Newtonian in execution. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, and when that action is death, corpses quickly litter the streets. 30 bullets, many dead. My hands are still shaking". Oh, really, you shot a fucking gun? Can you not just say that?

Dat last quote. LMFAO

Marleyman

Banned
So, according to this thread TLOU get a 10 because it was incredible and GTA V it's gonna get a 10 just because R* paid everyone, that's it?

TLOU and ND didn't pay anyone; they earned it and Rockstar, who has worked for 5 years on what is sounding like the biggest title ever had to resort to paying off IGN because they were afraid that people wouldn't enjoy it.

You think gaf is the one place that dislikes gta iv?

Or do you mean it is the one place where people really like TLOU?

GTA 4 is still one of the most played games on Live, 5.5 years later. Sure I didn't think it was good as SA, and I'm sure plenty of people were disappointed, but the perceived "hate" for this game that all the internet people think it has is WAY overblown, and the internet who is a very small vocal minority does not represent the overall feeling of a game, when the majority of them don't even know wtf a game forum is.

I completely agree. I've had amazing, "Hollywood-style" moments happen in everything from Saints Row to Sleeping Dogs. One of the most random and memorable events I experienced was in Saints Row 1, when just before I get killed by a gangster, a car that exploded moments before comes careening out of nowhere from the top of the screen and crushes the fellow.

I have GTAV preordered, and I am most definitely excited, but all these articles do is inflate the hype to ridiculous levels, which ends up backfiring.

lil smoke

Banned
People aren't allowed to be excited as hell for GTAIV except gaffers? what?

Some of you guys are crying over everything, don't buy the fuckin game and move on then.

antitrop

People aren't allowed to be excited as hell for GTAIV except gaffers? what?

Some of you guys are crying over everything, don't buy the fuckin game and move on then.
... What the hell are you talking about? Even if I recognize the typo and realize that you mean GTA V, I still don't know what you're trying to say.

Who is criticizing the game? It's the writing that is being criticized.

It's a writing about a game. If you haven't played it, how do you know the wording the author used is inappropriate or, in this case, "hyperbole"? You don't have any experience about the game but you're calling people out because he has played and praised it?

That was hilarious.

Oxymoron

The hyperbole is really bad, but that's not the worst part of that preview.

"I gingerly thread my way into the traffic bustling down the freeway towards the city."

Somebody got paid money to write that sentence, and then their editor got paid to leave it in.

2San

As in payola?
Nah more to do with who gets exclusives and who can publish a review and restrictions on the actual playing the game for the review. They also demand minimum scores and add pages for exclusives. It has the same effect in the end though.

MYeager

The preview described a few ways it's different. Aside from switching on the fly between three players, they also talked about random encounters that crop up (like they did in RDR, or even Skyrim for that matter) which makes can provide unique experiences for different players, etc.

For me one of the biggest things they've talked about is how the game world has locations that feel distinct and are handcrafted. Volition stopped doing this after Saint's Row 2, and I find the soulless copy/paste building design to be a problem with most open world games. I've been playing San Andreas again this last week and I'm still noticing details that I never noticed the first time I played.

Top Bottom