• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oopa forgot to check the next week sales last night, and it actually has one of my missing heroes (Probius) so yay

Upcoming Hero Sales
Probius — Sale Price: 375 Gems
Sylvanas — Sale Price: 312 Gems

The following Skins and Mounts will enter the Featured Item Rotation, and will be unlockable using Gems until next week's Collection Update:

Upcoming Featured Skins
Ascendant Probius Prime
Indigo Li-Ming
Real Dream Azmodunk
Fervent Love Goddess Tyrande
Nightmare Shan’do Illidan
Molten Druid of the Flame Malfurion

Upcoming Featured Mounts
Azure Nimbus Cloud
Armored War Steed

scoobs

Another teaser's up on twitter, looks like a Death Knight skin for Sonya to go along w/ the Crypt Queen one for Zag.

oh damn that is what that is huh? I just thought it was random scourge dude. Dank. Ok its 150% KelThuzad now & I approve of this skin bundle.

Another teaser's up on twitter, looks like a Death Knight skin for Sonya to go along w/ the Crypt Queen one for Zag.

The character holding Shadowmourne threw me off, but yeah it totally has to be Sonya. Looks like a WoW Icecrown type of event. I'd be very surprised if Kel'Thuzad isn't the hero now.

Alur

Kel'Thuzad seeming a certainty...hype is reaching peak levels. The skins seem awesome. Will we get some kind of representation of Mr. Bigglesworth?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Heroes of the Storm‏Verified account @BlizzHeroes 1h1 hour ago
More
Even the mightiest of the Nexus couldn't resist the powers this darkness promised...

DHhpwbMUQAExASW.jpg

yup it's a Sonya skin alright. Interesting part is, this image and the first one look like its from some sort of cartoon, I wonder if there will be a short to go along with this event?

Alavard

The theory seems to be that they're previewing skins themed with the various wings of Naxxramas, of which Kel'Thuzad rules.

The Zagara skin we've seen would be the Arachnid Quarter, and this Sonya skin would be the Military Quarter. The other two are the Construct Quarter and the Plague Quarter.

Death Knights are not associated with KT or Naxxaramas, BTW

Sonya is holding an armor post Naxxaramas

Zag Skin being spider theme makes no sense since she already have a nexus one on the opposite faction

Alavard

The Military quarter of Naxxramas is literally 'A wing of Death Knights, their students, and their steeds'.

(Also, Arthas is a Death Knight...)

The Death Knight player class in WoW is not 'associated' with KTZ and Naxx in the sense that they no longer serve them. They're rebels that have free will. But there's tons of Death Knights on the Naxx side. But you might be right that the armor she's in is from the 'rebel' side.

Zackat

who's gonna get the Thaddius skin then? Stukov has the polarities :p

Loatheb.... I don't even know. They could just give someone a Heigan getup.

That's assuming that they are doing this in the first place, that is.

Alavard

I'd like to see a Plague Quarter themed skin for Alarak. For Construct Quarter, maybe Rexxar, like a stitched-up Frankenstein monster/Thaddius style Rexxar and Misha.

Alur

What if we got an updated Arthas skin with this package? That + Kel'Thuzad are two of the most requested things for years now.

I dig what they are doing. Sonya skin and Zag skins needed, for sure, but I would have loved to see the Hearthstone skins as well.

Maledict

Sonya is holding an armor post Naxxaramas

Zag Skin being spider theme makes no sense since she already have a nexus one on the opposite faction

Re max, as others have said Naxx was very heavily associated with deathknights. In fact, the most famous fight in the raid was entirely death knights (the dreaded four horsemen). Regarding Sonya having Shadowmourne, that's just them taking liberties and using cool models associated with the scourge.

Not sure what you mean re the Zagara skin - her Luxoria skin isn't opposite to the spiders at all. She's the queen of the Scorpio swarm, which luxoria tassadar / kharazim are opposed too. There's no link or reference between the spider queen and the Scorpio queen at all.

Really looking forward to this set of skins. Definitely buying Zagara's and Kel'Thuzad at the bare minimum. Hope it comes with a huge meta changing patch as well.

kirblar

What if we got an updated Arthas skin with this package? That + Kel'Thuzad are two of the most requested things for years now.

I dig what they are doing. Sonya skin and Zag skins needed, for sure, but I would have loved to see the Hearthstone skins as well.
Updated Arthas was in one of the rumors that's floated around I think.

Alur

They don't need to update the model for anyone anymore unless things just get super egregious. Just release the new model in a skin with the OG tints, and then if the people like it they can eventually integrate it totally and phase the old one to where it's only on the old base.

It is annoying how he's a community leader and teaches all the wrong things with blind picks ALL THE TIME

Yeah, but i'm ok with him in general. He tries to show people the viability of off-meta characters. There's value in that. I just... don't like it as my first pick haha

edit: In other news: It's only fitting that I had to beat trik to get into masters for the season. First time too, Always gatekeeped around diamond 1 in the past

Heroes_of_the_Storm_08.20.2017_-_00.08.19.05.png

scoobs

oh my god Garrosh is fun as hell, also grats on masters. I wonder if i played rank as much as i play QM how far i'd climb. My QM mmr is up to 3200, gotta figure i'd get around diamond 1-2. I just don't find the ranked modes fun at all, too much bullshit

Rhaknar

played 2 matches yesterday with prelude and altairre.

This videogame continues to be fun.

Stukov is also fun.

Alur

oh my god Garrosh is fun as hell, also grats on masters. I wonder if i played rank as much as i play QM how far i'd climb. My QM mmr is up to 3200, gotta figure i'd get around diamond 1-2. I just don't find the ranked modes fun at all, too much bullshit

That MMR in HL would have you in masters easy. Then it's just about grinding. I've seen people say that even 2800-2900 can be pushed into GM if you grind enough games.

It's really hard to tell anything with the hotdoggies MMR anymore, though. The resets of every mode on the site with each new season makes the numbers suceptible to swings you never used to be able to get in other modes without a new account. One dude we all used to play with went from just barely scraping into low diamond/high plat around 2300ish to nearly 2900 after one reset because hotdogs resets QM and everything else too so you get that new uncertainty there as well. He hit a good run with a hero that was strong on release and bam he had the same MMR as the rest of us.

Skab

First tease was a crypt lord skin for Zagara, second one is a Death Knight skin for Sonya, third is a (dreadlord?) skin for Jaina.

It's a Scourge/Naxx themed event.

Kel'Thuzad incoming.

Rhaknar

"You all thought Jaina was a Dreadlord in WoW, fine, here it is!"

Prelude.

Jaina has a really diverse talent tree. Probably the only hero as old as she is that has no problems with her talent tree.
She needs some changes, she gets memed on by pretty much any of the currently popular comps. A lot of the older heroes could use a trait rework.

scoobs

She needs some changes, she gets memed on by pretty much any of the currently popular comps. A lot of the older heroes could use a trait rework.

I guess I just disagree. She has multiple viable builds and actual decisions at many of her talent levels, where most heroes have 1 obvious choice. Also her trait is good so idk what you want to change about that. A passive slow is a powerful trait.

Maledict

The issue isn't really with Janina's talent trees, it's that like every mage her power lies in skill shots and the current top tier of assassins dodge the hell out of skill shots. Combine that with a support and tank meta that makes it unlikely you'll be able to blow up a vulnerable back liner, and the majority of mages are sitting twiddling their thumbs.

Like I said, we need to have a big meta shifting patch as well fairly soo .

Alur

Was listening to ITN and Jeff Cannata was talking about his own personal theory of HOTS (and MOBA) players having circles of awareness that they progress through as they get better at the game and I couldn't have agreed more. It's not always a 1 for 1 comparison, but it's often a good gauge or starting point of determining of where a player is overall in the actual game progression.

Like starting out, this is what I'd consider a rough sketch of the steps of learning about the game and what's going on around you:

1st circle of awareness: yourself and what's immediately around you
2nd circle of awareness: your teammates and what they do/their heroes do
3rd circle of awareness: the maps themselves and what each objective does and when it spawns
4th circle of awareness: the enemy and what they do/their heroes do
5th circle of awareness: the map and where your teammates are on the map and what that means for your team
6th circle of awareness: the map and where your enemies are OR might be and what that means for your team

and so on and so forth.

His complaint was that he feels like he has progressed beyond awareness of himself, made account of his teammates, and can even take into account his enemies, but he is continually trapped in Silver (hero league wise) because of the rampant don't-give-a-fuck-edness that occurs. Like he says he commonly has people in draft say "it doesn't matter what we do we're in silver, bro". We've had a million discussions on here about MMR hell and whether it exists with many different opinions, but outside of that specific label one thing I've championed for a long, long time is that the lower down the totem pole you go, the more likely you are to run into simple general mischief or apathy that costs you a game instead of just a bad draft or bad play. So in essence you have more variables that can negatively impact you in any given game than a player in Platinum or Diamond or Master.

I often wonder how people in those levels continue to play regularly and don't absolutely hate the mode. Orochinagis pipes in every now and then with some of the stuff he sees in Bronze and I'm just like, "fuck, man." Like you legit deserve an award for putting up with some of that shit just to get a good game every 4th or 5th game where the bar for good game is "no one d/c'd, threw, or quit in the first 10 minutes".

I find the whole circle of awareness thing fascinating. It's not foilproof; god knows when we all played together we had some people who were Masters level MMR but played the game like a bull in a china shop, and played with others who were booty tier MMR but were able to synergize with our level of play. For the most part, you can look at most players in a certain range and find them only so far up the pyramid in awareness. In some ways it sort of ties back into closer's concerns about the lack of game knowledge in the community, only this aspect of it is something I feel is more fundamental to success.

Altairre

Alright I got Greymane to 10 and here are a few observations I've made:

As expected he's very difficult to play in a way that I feel like I'm getting the most out of him. Managing to keep his W up in the right moments, using cocktail to hit the largest amount of people possible, learning to stutter step with the increased attack speed (especially in worgen form when chasing people) and of course knowing when to engage. You really do need to keep track of the ult and ability cds of the enemy team to make sure you don't get immediately fucked since you have to wait 4 seconds for your escape.

I was playing a game on Tomb earlier and they had Jaina + Malf which are tasty targets especially at low health but I got instantly deleted twice because of the RoF/Twilight Dream combo. That was just poor play by me and I simply have to learn not to do that. I definitely think picking him makes me a better player (albeit slowly) since he doesn't have any form of self sustain, self shielding or damage mitigation (apart from his worgen armor) and you get punished so hard for your mistakes. Have certainly taken scoobs advice to heart and could probably be poking a bit more now but I'll get the hang of it eventually.

Overall the mix between ranged and melee makes him incredibly fun to play, he's great in lane, great at taking camps and fantastic at deleting squishies. Going to take him to 15 and hope that I'll continue to improve.

Was listening to ITN and Jeff Cannata was talking about his own personal theory of HOTS (and MOBA) players having circles of awareness that they progress through as they get better at the game and I couldn't have agreed more.

That makes a lot of sense to me. Jeff Cannata is awesome, I listen to pretty much every one of his podcasts. Don't always agree with him but he's very passionate about the stuff he talks about, be it games, movies or whatever and usually makes good points. One of my favorite people to listen to.

Prelude.

I hope junkrats wont end as boring as Zarya Q.
Well, can't be more or less boring than what he has in OW, they're just using the same abilities for everyone. The only new thing is the second ult.
But since Junkrat is short of one ability maybe they'll put his OW primary fire on a button and the basic attack is something else? If his passive is the same we'll have another amazing Tyrael trait.

Edit: Actually, they might also pull a D.Va and the riptire becomes an ability, with two new ults. That'd be cool.

kirblar

Junkrat just got reworked in OW, much like Lucio did around the time he came out in HOTS.

There's a good chance that his primary fire is Q and his autoattack is a melee.

Riptire is the unspoken answer to the "Why didn't you put Iron Star as an ult on Garrosh" Q btw.

Top Bottom