• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Story Spoilers and Speculations

no bullets hans

Neo Member
I'm really curious now to see what the third Traviss book will be like, knowing how how well Silentium really tied in with Halo 4.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the events in the upcoming book end up developing Halo 5 stuff.

(hoping for a return of the Arbiter)

georgc

Just finished silentium. Great read wish it was longer I feel so bad about the didact and the librarian. Where would be the best place to talk about it? This thread doesn't seem to be moving too much and I hate sifting through the OT?

Just finished silentium. Great read wish it was longer I feel so bad about the didact and the librarian. Where would be the best place to talk about it? This thread doesn't seem to be moving too much and I hate sifting through the OT?
Yeah, I agree but was directed to this thread too. Would imagine making a new thread in the OT just for the book may be okay?

To those who have read Silentium;

The summary above mentions that some of the Precursors survive. Is this true? Is it possible there are still Precursors out there besides the Flood?

exYle

To those who have read Silentium;

The summary above mentions that some of the Precursors survive. Is this true? Is it possible there are still Precursors out there besides the Flood?

Does it? From the ending, it seems like that pretty much everyone is dead. The Librarian, the newly appointed Lifeshaper, the IsoDidact... the monitors are alive, but that seems about it. Moreover, from my understanding, no actual Precursors survived after the IsoDidact killed the last one, but their essence lives on in a mutated form as the Flood, and their memory lives on in the Graveminds. The Flood were using Precursor technologies, such as the star roads (which I still don't quite understand).

Does it? From the ending, it seems like that pretty much everyone is dead. The Librarian, the newly appointed Lifeshaper, the IsoDidact... the monitors are alive, but that seems about it. Moreover, from my understanding, no actual Precursors survived after the IsoDidact killed the last one, but their essence lives on in a mutated form as the Flood, and their memory lives on in the Graveminds. The Flood were using Precursor technologies, such as the star roads (which I still don't quite understand).

Silentium
Yeah, I'd love to know a little more about the Star Roads. I'm pretty sure all the Precursors are dead as well. One thing I'm not too sure on is the fate of the primitive Forerunner settlement in the Tarantula Nebula. I know there was a Halo pointed at it but I'm not sure that one ever fired.

Silentium
Yeah, I'd love to know a little more about the Star Roads. I'm pretty sure all the Precursors are dead as well. One thing I'm not too sure on is the fate of the primitive Forerunner settlement in the Tarantula Nebula. I know there was a Halo pointed at it but I'm not sure that one ever fired.
Star Roads are the means by which the Precursors travel and also used as a weapon. They are kind of a bizarre thing. I can't even imagine what they appear like.

exYle

Star Roads are the means by which the Precursors travel and also used as a weapon. They are kind of a bizarre thing. I can't even imagine what they appear like.

But what ARE they? Metaphysical? Physical? The Forerunners mentioned something about space-time debt, and that the star roads were hogging it.

But what ARE they? Metaphysical? Physical? The Forerunners mentioned something about space-time debt, and that the star roads were hogging it.
From what I understand, they appear as long metal roads that appear through space. I think the novel says they look like strands or whatever. They might be a physical formation of Slipspace. I dunno because I don't think they really ever explain it. It's some incredibly bizarre form of Neural Physics technology the Precursors use. Maybe someone else here could explain better.

Too bad we can't have a thread devoted to Silentium.

no bullets hans

Neo Member
One of the great/terrible things about Greg Bear is that he comes up with these really insane ideas and then explains them very simply...almost too simply so that you can't really picture it in your head. The Star Roads are an example of this.

Anyone who's read Eon knows what I'm talking about.

That said, I think the Star Roads were basically tethers, right? So like the Forerunners had hard light, the Precursors had some kind of wacky physical construction capabilities that expand beyond not only the capability but also the understanding of the beings that followed after them.

I think the Precursors were capable of literally willing things into being. The star roads were destroyed when the halos fired, as well as the ruins on Charum Hakkor (or however its spelled). Halos destroyed lifeforms that had achieved a base level of sentience so its safe to assume the precursor artifacts and ruins either were sentient of constructed in a way that linked their physical being to sentience. I think Star Roads were made out of the physical manifestation of pure thought. Like, if I said, "hey, there is a desk here" and then suddenly there is a desk here. But with the Precursors being not human and our minds not working in the same way, that sounds ridiculous and nonsensical.

But for a race of beings who could traverse time and space, who could manipulate existence and bend the fabric of the universe...if they wanted to tether their planets together or something, why not?

One of the great/terrible things about Greg Bear is that he comes up with these really insane ideas and then explains them very simply...almost too simply so that you can't really picture it in your head. The Star Roads are an example of this.

Anyone who's read Eon knows what I'm talking about.

That said, I think the Star Roads were basically tethers, right? So like the Forerunners had hard light, the Precursors had some kind of wacky physical construction capabilities that expand beyond not only the capability but also the understanding of the beings that followed after them.

I think the Precursors were capable of literally willing things into being. The star roads were destroyed when the halos fired, as well as the ruins on Charum Hakkor (or however its spelled). Halos destroyed lifeforms that had achieved a base level of sentience so its safe to assume the precursor artifacts and ruins either were sentient of constructed in a way that linked their physical being to sentience. I think Star Roads were made out of the physical manifestation of pure thought. Like, if I said, "hey, there is a desk here" and then suddenly there is a desk here. But with the Precursors being not human and our minds not working in the same way, that sounds ridiculous and nonsensical.

But for a race of beings who could traverse time and space, who could manipulate existence and bend the fabric of the universe...if they wanted to tether their planets together or something, why not?
Pretty much. The Precursors had what was called Neural Physics which not much is known about except it did use sentience. The Precursors of Halo see the universe itself as a living being and may not be so wrong as they apparently existed before the universe as we know it, hence being extradimensional entities. They're pretty much the Continium/Xeelee/Celestials/Etc of the Halo universe.

Doodis

So I just finished Silentium. Not sure if anyone will be watching this thread, but I have some questions:

1. So the flood aren't actually precursors, but a last-ditch weapon created by the precursors to rid the galaxy of the forerunners?

2. Were all the remaining forerunners (Librarian, IsoDidact, and the newly appointed Librarian) killed by the final firing of the Halos, or did some of them supposedly survive somewhere (other than UrDidact in his cryptum, obviously)?

3. What was the organon thing? This great treasure of the precursors and part of the domain? Was it just another word for the domain? It seemed like the book alluded to the fact that firing the Halos would wipe out the domain, but it still exists in Halo 4, right? Isn't that where Cortana goes to in the end of the game?
I'm still so confused!

So I just finished Silentium. Not sure if anyone will be watching this thread, but I have some questions:

1. So the flood aren't actually precursors, but a last-ditch weapon created by the precursors to rid the galaxy of the forerunners?

2. Were all the remaining forerunners (Librarian, IsoDidact, and the newly appointed Librarian) killed by the final firing of the Halos, or did some of them supposedly survive somewhere (other than UrDidact in his cryptum, ob viously)?

3. What was the organon thing? This great treasure of the precursors and part of the domain? Was it just another word for the domain? It seemed like the book alluded to the fact that firing the Halos would wipe out the domain, but it still exists in Halo 4, right? Isn't that where Cortana goes to in the end of the game?
I'm still so confused!
I cannot answer all your questions. But maybe this video can help some of them:

Halo: Rebirth Narrative

2. Were all the remaining forerunners (Librarian, IsoDidact, and the newly appointed Librarian) killed by the final firing of the Halos, or did some of them supposedly survive somewhere (other than UrDidact in his cryptum, obviously)?

I'm still so confused!
1. The Flood are a new form of the Precursors. They are, for the most part, Precursors.

2. It is believed there might be some Forerunners still alive in another galaxy. During the time of the games take place in, it's really unknown.

3. The Organon is the Domain. Why the Domain still exists in the Halo games is another yet to be explained phenomenon but theory is maybe parts of it survived somehow.

So, except for your first question there's still a lot of unknowns.

Top Bottom