• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Story Spoilers and Speculations

How in the world would that work? Does he have a wi-fi antenna in his butt that broadcasts his vital signs across the entire galaxy?

343's Halo is pretty dumb, but I don't think it's that bad. I suspect. Hell, I don't know. Fuck, that's a real possibility, isn't it?

Think about what you are saying?

That the didact can;t communicate over long distances in a universe where manipulating space is common.... look at the slipspace drives and dyson sphere from the books.

LOL

monome

what is 343² doing?
I think it's pretty clear it was looking for the Librarian, and from the perspective of Halo 4 events, it seems it boarded a ship while humanity was in conflict with Storm already.

Can we expect it to appear next week as the mystery around the Librarian will be (probably partially) revealed?

Deadly

A key to every single forerunner tech holy shit. Based on where Halsey was hit she should be ok?

Sarah is fucking annoying, I hate how her vendetta against Halsey is so dumb. I hope she dies and the Majestic guy replaces her.

A key to every single forerunner tech holy shit. Based on where Halsey was hit she should be ok?

Sarah is fucking annoying, I hate how her vendetta against Halsey is so dumb. I hope she dies and the Majestic guy replaces her.
Yeah Halsey will be okay. The Keys ability act as an Interstellar Map locating Forerunner Technology is highly insane... but cool at the same time.

The whole vendetta against Halsey sickens me seeing her harmed like that...

I'd understand if it were the enemy but to throw the UNSC/ONI into eliminating their own doing has surely upset fans alike. I blame Karen Travis for this poor writing.

Deadly

Yeah Halsey will be okay. The Keys ability act as an Interstellar Map locating Forerunner Technology is highly insane... but cool at the same time.

I'd understand if it were the enemy but to throw the UNSC/ONI into eliminating their own doing has surely upset fans alike. I blame Karen Travis for this poor writing.
While I hear the recent books haven't been so great, she can't be entirely to blame. I mean 343 probably gave her an outline of their ideas or whatever to follow.

Flipyap

Think about what you are saying?

That the didact can;t communicate over long distances
in a universe where manipulating space is common.... look at the slipspace drives and dyson sphere from the books.

LOL
...after death.

You're not making a particularly convincing case about your ability to read.

"LOL" indeed.

Fuchsdh

I hope the key gets destroyed. That kind of tech is simply too powerful and too big a game changer. It'd wreck a whole lot of dramatic potential--finding the other Halos, etc. Reminds me of the Forerunner AI from "Helljumper"--something incredibly powerful the ODSTs were forced to destroy lest it fall in the wrong hands.

I hope the key gets destroyed. That kind of tech is simply too powerful and too big a game changer. It'd wreck a whole lot of dramatic potential--finding the other Halos, etc. Reminds me of the Forerunner AI from "Helljumper"--something incredibly powerful the ODSTs were forced to destroy lest it fall in the wrong hands.
I'm pretty positive Halsey knows each sector and solar systems to pinpoint within our Galaxy of Forerunner Tech. in the time the Librarian shortly activated the key.

Professor Anders immediately saw Arcadia System within seconds of the Relics Activation on Harvest.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Say whaaaaa? I doubt Halsey as war criminal is Traviss' idea entirely anyway, but I think it makes sense in the universe. Even though WE know her heart was (mostly) in the right place and we understand her motivations, to everyone else she kidnapped and abused kids as well as caused dozens of families to believe their children had died. I think the plot about Naomi's dad makes a lot of sense in Thursday War. And even though she is a really great character, Halsey is also a selfish dick - it just so happens that her goals sometimes dovetail with humanity's.

While I hear the recent books haven't been so great, she can't be entirely to blame. I mean 343 probably gave her an outline of their ideas or whatever to follow.

IMO the two Traviss books have been really really good stuff, I'd say they were better in terms of character than Nylund's stuff, and it's miles better than Bear's stuff which is rather excruciating and confusing.

IMO the two Traviss books have been really really good stuff, I'd say they were better in terms of character than Nylund's stuff, and it's miles better than Bear's stuff which is rather excruciating and confusing.
Yeah, they are enjoyable. The character development is good, and just an aside, the narration is excellent on the audiobooks. The narrator gives each character a unique voice so it really feels like you're listening to a play. It's awesome.

I just finished Thursday War, and I'm only now realizing that they are probably going to try (potential 3rd Travis novel spoilers)
exploiting Naomi's relationship with her father to get an in to acquiring the Pious Inquisitor!

Say whaaaaa? I doubt Halsey as war criminal is Traviss' idea entirely anyway, but I think it makes sense in the universe. Even though WE know her heart was (mostly) in the right place and we understand her motivations, to everyone else she kidnapped and abused kids as well as caused dozens of families to believe their children had died. I think the plot about Naomi's dad makes a lot of sense in Thursday War. And even though she is a really great character, Halsey is also a selfish dick - it just so happens that her goals sometimes dovetail with humanity's.
Halsey acts as a selfish dick if others interfere with her work. Being a dick to her (Palmer) and/or chooses being ignorant.

What gains has she ever collected for herself only over humanity? Even labeled a "War Criminal" her fascination & drive over Forerunner knowledge has always been to help Humanity's next evolutionary step. As she has put it "Our Destiny As A Species".
Its not completely the label that is given to her which bothers me, its the Hate & Confusion that reflects humanity (UNSC/ONI) that follows along with it onto her.

Introducing the Mark of Shame, almost. Once she has acquired a larger purpose to keep her in saving humanity's ass (yet again) then that label will be removed and changed.

Who's next to follow up on the hate train? Master Chief, John? Yup. Captain Del Rio was a Huge success... Not. This Dramatization is poor writing.

My SpOps Theories:

Eventually Majestic/Crimson needs to save Halsey from Jul M'dama and take the 2nd piece of the Janus Key from him then make their way towards the "Absolute Record" in Spartan Ops Episode 10.

Janus Key is the Map and the Absolute Record is the Ship? Gateway/Portal?
---
Taken from Halopedia:
Librarian: "This is the Janus Key. It offers the real-time location of every piece of Forerunner technology in the galaxy. Halsey: "Every piece?"

The Librarian connects the two pieces together. Holograms ofstarsystemsburst from it andsurround the two women. Halsey examines them in fascination.

Librarian: "We did not create so much without a means tocatalog it all. This was meantfor my husband to help you people...when his meditation was complete."

The Librarian separates the pieces, and the holograms disappear. She holds out the pieces to Halsey.

Librarian: "Take this key to the Absolute Record. Use what you find to propel humankind." Halsey: "Why give this to me?" Librarian: "Requiem's time is at an end. The key and what it details must not be lost."

Halsey tentatively takes the pieces from her. With a flash, Jul 'Mdama pulls her out the artifact, Halsey still clutching the keys. 'Mdama notices a piece and takes it from her.

Jul 'Mdama: "(Sangheili) This is the Librarian's gift?"

'Mdama drops Halsey and examines the half-key, unaware that Halsey has the other.

Jul 'Mdama: "(Sangheili) This is what we came for? Full of the Forerunner's secrets?"

'Mdama's guard screams and is thrown in the arm. Thorne uncloaks and pulls out his assaultrifle.

Halsey: "Thorne!!"

'Mdama grabs Halsey and holds her in front of him.

Jul 'Mdama: "(Sangheili) Blasphemy! Kill the intruder!"

The other guard swings its sword. Thorne ducks, hits its head, then fires an assaultrifle burstintoits chest.

Halsey: "Thorne, take the key!"

Halsey tosses her half of the Janus Key to him. Thorne catches it, and examines it.He looksupupon hearing a gunshot, and sees an Elite about to attack him fall dead from Palmer's sudden rescue.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Rather shocking this thread hasn't seen a reply since the season conclusion. Dat Halsey ain't too happy about her arm....

Deadly

The end was super lame. I was expecting something big since it's the end of the season and I assume we'll have to pay for future episodes.

i completely forgot new chapters went up after the break

didnt bother playing them but saw all the movies. pretty crazy ending, i feel like the next halo game is gonna have chief finding out what happened to halsey and him going on a solo mission trying to get to her, making enemies out of the UNSC as well as everything else trying to kill him.

overall the potential is there for spartan ops but it was so fucking boring i dont think i would ever pay money for them. you can just watch the cinematics online, which were by far the best thing to come out of this.

i also thought it was fucking hilarious the base where mdama was chillin was the level you played like 50 times already. all you had to do was blast a bunch of fucking doors open. nobody inside ever heard any of the shit going on outside either! geez.

also, fuck palmer. terrible character

Darkmakaimura

Damn, this game must be doing awful at least with GAF. The season finale comes up, Kate gets an entire arm blown off and barely a peep out of this thread. Is Halo 4 doing this bad across the globe or is it isolated to this forum?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
overall the potential is there for spartan ops but it was so fucking boring i dont think i would ever pay money for them. you can just watch the cinematics online, which were by far the best thing to come out of this.
Play the second half of Season 1. It got a lot better. Still not great, but better.

Overdoziz

Banned
Damn, this game must be doing awful at least with GAF. The season finale comes up, Kate gets an entire arm blown off and barely a peep out of this thread. Is Halo 4 doing this bad across the globe or is it isolated to this forum?
We're on OT15 right now, there's enough to bitch about.

Simzyy

I really liked Halo 4 :(

For 343i first game it was a great effort but far from perfect, can only get better in my opinion though. Same for Spartan Ops, season 1 was very meh gameplay wise but I think a second season would let them address the problems of the first.

My solution would be to make the gameplay much more similar to Firefight, with increasingly harder enemies, a scoring system and a set number of lives. Next would be to make more episodes like the one aboard the infinity. That was essentially like a campaign mission. Each week have new enviroments, not every chapter of each episode. This will make Spartan Ops much more like a campaign expansion. Lastly the narrative. Make Majestic team interact with Crimson and other characters. Just make me care about pushing buttons by making it mean something.

Also, the term "egghead" must never be said again

The end was super lame. I was expecting something big since it's the end of the season and I assume we'll have to pay for future episodes.

How is Halsey siding with the covenant not "something big" sure it probably wasn't completely surprising but, C'MON MAN.]

Imagine what'll happen when chief gets word of this, he's liable to go full rouge to save her alone, let alone on the basis to save her so she can fix Cortana.

Deadly

How is Halsey siding with the covenant not "something big" sure it probably wasn't completely surprising but, C'MON MAN.]

Imagine what'll happen when chief gets word of this, he's liable to go full rouge to save her alone, let alone on the basis to save her so she can fix Cortana.
I think I would have been ok with that if it was the last episode showed.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Having just finished Halo 4, and looking thru the terminals via way point, I must say I'm truly impressed by the job 343 did. Fucking superb job. Can't wait for Halo 5.

danwarb

The main story was fine though not well presented, and with far too much sad-brow from Cortana. Dialogue in these Spartan Ops videos is infinitely better.

I'd like this game much more if weapons and equipment didn't disappear so quickly. That, is not very Halo.

exYle

The main story was fine though not well presented, and with far too much sad-brow from Cortana. Dialogue in these Spartan Ops videos is infinitely better.

I'd like this game much more if weapons and equipment didn't disappear so quickly. That, is not very Halo.

You egghead.

Silentium Spoilers:
There is more than one composer out there.
So far, Librarian is telling about a time when she went to the Tarantula Nebula, which is where they think the flood and Precursors came from.
Didact woke up in the center of a few hundred light years of flood infected systems.

Darkmakaimura

Silentium Spoilers:
There is more than one composer out there.
So far, Librarian is telling about a time when she went to the Tarantula Nebula, which is where they think the flood and Precursors came from.
Didact woke up in the center of a few hundred light years of flood infected systems.
Haven't read the book myself (would buy it if not broke) but wow, there's some epic things in those pages.

Major spoiler:
Precursors predating the existence of the universe itself and pretty much take different forms throughout history, their current one being the Flood. Also Precursors being god-like and more powerful than anyone thought.

Damn, I'd love to read this.

Fuchsdh

Jesus christ, £20 for the hardback? Yeah I'll wait.
It's only $16 here for the hardback, which is a steal considering the digital version is $13.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend it. I'd say its the finest Halo novel written thus far. If the entire franchise ended with this book, I would have been happy.

no bullets hans

Neo Member
I second that. It's the best Halo novel they've released so far.

Cryptum was orientation. Lots of talk about Forerunner and rates and classes and how they handled their business. It was...conceptually interesting with not a lot of action.

Primordium was training. Getting into some of the story meat, some real deep back history, while exploring familiar Halo territory.

Silentium is like a rock concert where every song is based on Rocky IV. Its non-stop awesome.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
It's only $16 here for the hardback, which is a steal considering the digital version is $13.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend it. I'd say its the finest Halo novel written thus far. If the entire franchise ended with this book, I would have been happy.

I just got it for 14 on amazon.

So...um...yeah, Halo was supposed to be (reasonable) Military Science Fiction...

So why in god's name have
we've gotten to Stephen Braxton level of Overpowered absurdity? The Precursors are effing ridiculous

Deadly

So...um...yeah, Halo was supposed to be (reasonable) Military Science Fiction...

we've gotten to Stephen Braxton level of Overpowered absurdity? The Precursors are effing ridiculous
Well everything UNSC-related was fairly reasonable but outside of that I'd say it's always been kinda crazy.

Fuchsdh

Well, most if not all of their awesome tech was wiped out, so it's not like you have to worry about that in the games or the "present" (26th century.)

Dyson rings, antigrav, FTL and the Halo Array's effects have always been pretty out there in terms of technical feasibility.

Darkmakaimura

Yeah I see them
getting compared a lot to sci-fi races like the Xeelee and The Culture. I know little about either one except Xeelee are ridiculously powerful to the point they can manipulate space and time which is pretty close to what the Precursors can do. At this point the story can't really go into defeating the Precursors since they're Eldritch Horrors from the time beyond time. Going to be interesting to see where the games head.

Fuchsdh

Just finished Silentium.

Well damn. Any ideas on where we're going with Halo 5?

We talk about it, a little :)

FUDcast Ep. 11 - "Where We're Going, We Don't Need Star Roads"

On this episode of the Forward Unto Dawn podcast, we talk Halo: Silentium, plot hooks for the future, and 343i's approach to storytelling. If you haven't read the books, the first 15 minutes or so are spoiler-free basic impressions. You'll be able to tell when we veer into plot details.

Go listen!
Feedburner
iTunes

no bullets hans

Neo Member
We talk about it, a little :)

FUDcast Ep. 11 - "Where We're Going, We Don't Need Star Roads"

On this episode of the Forward Unto Dawn podcast, we talk Halo: Silentium, plot hooks for the future, and 343i's approach to storytelling. If you haven't read the books, the first 15 minutes or so are spoiler-free basic impressions. You'll be able to tell when we veer into plot details.

Go listen!
Feedburner
iTunes

Hey, you referenced my post (2689) at like 8:30. Nice.

Just finished Silentium last night.

Fuck Awesome.

To 343 :-

Why in the name of hell was this delayed until after Halo 4?

I'd have loved to have my 1st playthrough of Halo 4 AFTER reading Silentium, it improves the story and especially the Didact tenfold!

It ties so many things together and it blew my mind page after page.

Easily my favourite Halo novel so far.

Just finished Silentium last night.

Fuck Awesome.

To 343 :-

Why in the name of hell was this delayed until after Halo 4?

I'd have loved to have my 1st playthrough of Halo 4 AFTER reading Silentium, it improves the story and especially the Didact tenfold!

It ties so many things together and it blew my mind page after page.

Easily my favourite Halo novel so far.

This, it explains so much.

Jofamo

Anybody fancy doing a recap of Silentium for us who haven't read the book?

I love the Halo lore but barely have time to read nowadays.

Top Bottom