• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Story Spoilers and Speculations

When you out it that way, it reminds me of Lost, with everything that's ever happened just being the result of a grudge match between two ancient space/island assholes.
It's sort of like the old Tv series called, "Babylon 5".
Humanity and other alien races are in a Galactic Alliance to save the Galaxy from two different ancient alien races caught in between a fued of their continues war.

The Galactic Alliance refuses to take any part between their fued and took responsibility from the two (Precursors) ancients positions as the NEW Guardians of the Universe.

Halo is a culmination of many inspirations and yet manages to expand its universe. Attract fans into the lore with the original trilogys Mythic Atmosphere and this New Trilogy to unveil that mystery but not completely while becoming something much more evolutionary.
Ex. Halo 4 Terminals. Provides a lot of back story about Forerunner Society and Military, Didact & Librarian, abit for Ancient Humanity, yet still keeps Fans intrigued for more.

Flipyap

Communicated anonymously. Scientific curiosity.

A thought: Prometheans under the Didact's control are orange, Prometheans under the Librarian's control are blue. The Librarian is 'alive' in one way or another, potentially in the form of an AI. A common trope is that when a bad guy dies in films, everything that is enchanted, magic, or else-wise under their control automatically becomes neutral, or is released, etc. Think Narnia, where statues unfreeze. If the Didact is dead, his Prometheans would likely not serve him, and they would lose their color, or revert to blue, under the influence of the Librarian.

Another thought, regarding Episode 5 and the memories from New Phoenix: I am curious as to how they were transported, whether it be via the slipspace portal the Didact created, via the domain, via... Cortana?
How in the world would that work? Does he have a wi-fi antenna in his butt that broadcasts his vital signs across the entire galaxy?

343's Halo is pretty dumb, but I don't think it's that bad. I suspect. Hell, I don't know. Fuck, that's a real possibility, isn't it?

aries_71

In the last Spartan Ops episode, I noticed that Dr. Glassman, the scientist captured by Jul, is wearing some kind of vest. Is it my imagination or its some kind of suicide vest with several plasma grenades attached to it? In such case, I'm already foreseeing things...

spootime

In the last Spartan Ops episode, I noticed that Dr. Glassman, the scientist captured by Jul, is wearing some kind of vest. Is it my imagination or its some kind of suicide vest with several plasma grenades attached to it? In such case, I'm already foreseeing things...

Most likely because when mdama was imprisoned by the UNSC they put a similar vest on him.

How in the world would that work? Does he have a wi-fi antenna in his butt that broadcasts his vital signs across the entire galaxy?

Forerunner technology is still mostly unexplained, I was thinking along the lines of the Domain, but I see your point.

Explosive vest. Similar to how the Jiralhanae strapped explosives to Huragok.

Mindwipe

So... I was wondering if anyone can explain something to me. Or if I've missed something.

Because in Spartan Ops, what the hell are the UNSC and Covenant fleets doing around Requiem? The history of UNSC/Covenant engagements is that, actually, ground operations don't matter very much, despite the games. Things tend to be decided in orbit in fleet battles, and without winning them it's hard to win on the ground. And fleet battles are quick.

But clearly, forces from the UNSC are able to come and go through Requiem's portal at will. So are the Covernant fleet also outside? And if so, why don't they appear to be shooting at each other? Are we supposed to believe they're at stalemate and just keeping at arms length? But if so why don't either side shoot at the others while they're entering or existing Requiem's portal? I find it hard to believe that the Infinity would ignore a carrier entering there, without so much as a few Mac rounds.

If such a stalemate occoured, how? And why did the Spartan teams dive in so quickly in Episode 1 if it wouldn't be required?

The best explanation I've been able to come up with is completely headcannon: that the Infinity won. Super won, and the Covenant forces were forced to retreat to inside Requiem with their remaining ships. The Infinity for obvious reasons doesn't want to go inside as it presents them as a single target for all the Covenant with no manuverability, so they're sending in ships, and ultimately while the Covenant forces inside Requiem are quite significant, they're cut off.

This would still lead a problem of why the Covenant isn't watching the door, and shooting anything that comes through, but you could write that away in several ways. Maybe the initial insertion lead to UNSC forces capturing key defenses around the portal, and they can then use shields and weapons in those to protect anything going through the portal, and scare the Covenant ships away from the door.

And I'd like to have seen that, because it would be interesting, rather than me having to make it up. It could have actually made quite a good mission even.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

So... I was wondering if anyone can explain something to me. Or if I've missed something.

Because in Spartan Ops, what the hell are the UNSC and Covenant fleets doing around Requiem? The history of UNSC/Covenant engagements is that, actually, ground operations don't matter very much, despite the games. Things tend to be decided in orbit in fleet battles, and without winning them it's hard to win on the ground. And fleet battles are quick.

But clearly, forces from the UNSC are able to come and go through Requiem's portal at will. So are the Covernant fleet also outside? And if so, why don't they appear to be shooting at each other? Are we supposed to believe they're at stalemate and just keeping at arms length? But if so why don't either side shoot at the others while they're entering or existing Requiem's portal? I find it hard to believe that the Infinity would ignore a carrier entering there, without so much as a few Mac rounds.

If such a stalemate occoured, how? And why did the Spartan teams dive in so quickly in Episode 1 if it wouldn't be required?

The best explanation I've been able to come up with is completely headcannon: that the Infinity won. Super won, and the Covenant forces were forced to retreat to inside Requiem with their remaining ships. The Infinity for obvious reasons doesn't want to go inside as it presents them as a single target for all the Covenant with no manuverability, so they're sending in ships, and ultimately while the Covenant forces inside Requiem are quite significant, they're cut off.

This would still lead a problem of why the Covenant isn't watching the door, and shooting anything that comes through, but you could write that away in several ways. Maybe the initial insertion lead to UNSC forces capturing key defenses around the portal, and they can then use shields and weapons in those to protect anything going through the portal, and scare the Covenant ships away from the door.

And I'd like to have seen that, because it would be interesting, rather than me having to make it up. It could have actually made quite a good mission even.

Anyone have any other thoughts?
I don't believe Super Won is to be exact. They may have destroyed the shit out of all Carriers outside of Requiem, but there's still a hand full of them Inside the planet (if im not mistakend). Juls could be in there as well.

Lets not forget that Infinity would be in a load of trouble if they're unable to Slipspace jump when another Raiding Party enters Requiems space to bring supplies.

Doodis

I don't believe Super Won is to be exact. They may have destroyed the shit out of all Carriers outside of Requiem, but there's still a hand full of them Inside the planet (if im not mistakend). Juls could be in there as well.

Lets not forget that Infinity would be in a load of trouble if they're unable to Slipspace jump when another Raiding Party enters Requiems space to bring supplies.

Yes, keep in mind that Infinity was gone from Requiem for several months - giving Jul and the gang plenty of time to regroup and set up shop within Requiem. So even if Infinity laid waste to the fleet outside, the covenant is still likely hunkered down all over Requiem.

i-Lo

So I just finished the game and am quite confused about the following:

• Did Didact really die or was he injured when he fell into what looked like a portal? Any guesses whether he went through a portal or was rather destroying in the ensuing nuke blast?
  • How did Cortana manage to save MC when the origin of the blast started between his two hands?
  • When Cortana says, "Most of me is down there", I assume she's talking about the remnants of the ship that was just nuked. Is there a chance that she is still salvageable?
  • If the Didact is dead then does it mean it'll be covenants vs humans all over again?

Now, a question with rather substantial ramification:

Does Halo take place in our universe or is it an alternate universe with different origin story for life and its evolution?

343i didn't make her the war criminal, bungie did. under their reign did someone come up with her abducting children to create super soldiers.
it doesn't matter whether or not those children went on to save mankind (foremost because it wasn't threatened yet) and it doesn't matter whether or not Halsey was "told" to do so by FR genetic programming (as long as the UNSC doesn't know) etc. - all emotions aside the facts are simple:
Halsey had a leading role in the abduction of children for military training and action. that alone is a despicable act, but Halsey topped it off with highly experimental medical procedures, that killed and crippled many of the subjects.

she isn't the only one to blame but the other actors simply aren't important for the new trilogy's story (and i'd rather have them explore details like that later on, rather than "waste" time now, as the core of the reclaimer saga is still evolving.
also, i'm sure that Halsey had the best intentions, but the road to hell is paved with those.
by definition, she is a war criminal but that does not make her an evil person and neither does it mean that one isn't allowed to like and/or admire her anymore, because she is more than just that, especially from an "almost-all-knowing" Reader/Player's POV.

i like this twist and how it shows that halo is not so black and white anymore.

TL,DR: war criminal =/= evil person

One thing I always wondered is why 500 years into the future was abducting children necessary for the program when they should have had the evolution of a current technology called In vitro fertilization and place it in an artificial womb. Given parentage doesn't matter or is of little consequence, accessing a gene pool for customised human would be easier to achieve from a large, viable and willing donor base (sperm banks and in future egg banks). Farscape provided a great example for conscription and indoctrination through, "Peace keepers".

Sorry, bro. That's not how it works. Saving your entire species pretty much trumps any so called amoral acts imo. So long as the fact remains that the Spartans saved Humanity, Halsey's actions will always be justified. Had the Covenant not attacked Harvest, you'd have a point, but as it stands, ONI has no legal or moral ground to stand on.

Nope. There is such a thing as cognitive dissonance where two opposing truths or facts are very much capable of existing without any form of reconciliation. Dr. Halsey in some ways is a caricature of Josef Mengele. Her actions can not be justified because 1. Covenant's arrival was a coincidence and that's what not the Spartans were created for and 2. Under accepted human cultural and social norms her actions can in no way be justifiable regardless of the ultimate outcome.

exYle

So I just finished the game and am quite confused about the following:

• Did Didact really die or was he injured when he fell into what looked like a portal? Any guesses whether he went through a portal or was rather destroying in the ensuing nuke blast?
  • How did Cortana manage to save MC when the origin of the blast started between his two hands?
  • When Cortana says, "Most of me is down there", I assume she's talking about the remnants of the ship that was just nuked. Is there a chance that she is still salvageable?
  • If the Didact is dead then does it mean it'll be covenants vs humans all over again?

Now, a question with rather substantial ramification:

Does Halo take place in our universe or is it an alternate universe with different origin story for life and its evolution?

- Didact fell into a slipspace portal for sure. Whether he died or not is up in the air, but given the amount of effort 343 has put into this character, I highly doubt he's dead.
- The general consensus is that at the end, you could see Cortana manipulating the hardlight bridge. We presume that before the nuke went off, Cortana created a hardlight pod for the Chief. This also explains how she was able to physically touch him, as she created a hardlight construct for herself.
- Yes. Maybe. I theorized that 343 are setting her up to be a villain.
- No, the Flood is still a viable threat.

I'm pretty sure that Halo is supposed to be our future. One of the episodes in Halo: Legends shows a brief history of human technological advancement, and I specifically remember seeing NASA spacecraft and the ISS.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
All fiction takes place in an "alternate universe". Besides that, and believe it or not, there's some people out there who believe there might have been ancient humans who had very advanced technology and then de-evolved (or whatever) for some reason or another. For that matter, there's even one other video game series that deals with that matter in a slightly different way.

i-Lo

- Didact fell into a slipspace portal for sure. Whether he died or not is up in the air, but given the amount of effort 343 has put into this character, I highly doubt he's dead.
- The general consensus is that at the end, you could see Cortana manipulating the hardlight bridge. We presume that before the nuke went off, Cortana created a hardlight pod for the Chief. This also explains how she was able to physically touch him, as she created a hardlight construct for herself.
- Yes. Maybe. I theorized that 343 are setting her up to be a villain.
- No, the Flood is still a viable threat.

Ah, thank you so much for that.

I'm pretty sure that Halo is supposed to be our future. One of the episodes in Halo: Legends shows a brief history of human technological advancement, and I specifically remember seeing NASA spacecraft and the ISS.

All fiction takes place in an "alternate universe". Besides that, and believe it or not, there's some people out there who believe there might have been ancient humans who had very advanced technology and then de-evolved (or whatever) for some reason or another. For that matter, there's even one other video game series that deals with that matter in a slightly different way.

From the story in the game and through unlocked videos on waypoint, I gathered these details:

• Halo ringes simultaneously fired 100,000 years (from the of the first game in 2552).
  • Halo is supposed to wipe out all sentient life above certain BMI at which point the infection and infestation is unrealistic.
  • The Index is supposed to be a replica of all major sentient and conscious species in the galaxy who are devoid of any technological know-how of their natural forebears and are supposed to be transported to habitable planet from the Ark after a certain amount of time had passed after the firing of Halo.
  • The librarian also mentions that "things will crawl out of the sea once more".

If those observations are correct then while it may provide an explanation for the fictitious regression of fictitious advanced humans it doesn't explain the following:

• Why didn't the Forerunners,esp. Librarian, create their own replicas from gene database?
  • Theory of evolution portrays the timespan that allowed creatures from sea to develop into land based creatures took millions of years not thousands. So no complex creature above a certain size (comparable to that of a human as base) could exist even in 2552.

exYle

If those observations are correct then while it may provide an explanation for the fictitious regression of fictitious advanced humans it doesn't explain the following:

• Why didn't the Forerunners,esp. Librarian, create their own replicas from gene database?
  • Theory of evolution portrays the timespan that allowed creatures from sea to develop into land based creatures took millions of years not thousands. So no complex creature above a certain size (comparable to that of a human as base) could exist even in 2552.

- Honestly, it seems kind of dumb to me, but the Librarian consistently states that the humans are next to uphold the Mantle. So, in her mind, if the Forerunners were to be revived, eventually the cycle would repeat itself.
- The only really good answer to this is "lol videogames". The humans and San'Shyuum (and presumably all races of the Covenant) were indexed and re-released on their home worlds, and maybe they co-exist with these sea creatures?

Forerunners mostly viewed themselves as honorable "mantle" living creatures. I'd imagine that when they realized that they were going to activate the halos, they decided to go down with them. They wanted the mantle to pass on to humans with no interference from them.

And the forerunners took a bunch of samples of alot of species, and then programmed AIs to redistribute said samples to planets to repopulate.

Darkmakaimura

From the story in the game and through unlocked videos on waypoint, I gathered these details:

• Halo ringes simultaneously fired 100,000 years (from the of the first game in 2552).
  • Halo is supposed to wipe out all sentient life above certain BMI at which point the infection and infestation is unrealistic.
  • The Index is supposed to be a replica of all major sentient and conscious species in the galaxy who are devoid of any technological know-how of their natural forebears and are supposed to be transported to habitable planet from the Ark after a certain amount of time had passed after the firing of Halo.
  • The librarian also mentions that "things will crawl out of the sea once more".

Ugh, I'm not going to do a good job at this but my guess is that we did evolve from sea creatures/apes and whatnot. From that came the ancient humans. They evolved and finally got to the point of a spacefaring race. Blah, blah, blah, the Forerunners got pissed off and exiled all the humans back to Earth. They de-evolved them, but not back into fish or monkeys but back to primitive humans. More or less they stripped them of their memories, technology, etc and maybe de-evolved them physically just a bit but not back to the "starting point". Said primitive humans started over again and here we are. That's the way I understood it.

So, we still did evolve from primates but it was prior to the ancient humans, who were never de-evolved into those things.

Something, something, yeah, yeah, yeah....

i-Lo

- Honestly, it seems kind of dumb to me, but the Librarian consistently states that the humans are next to uphold the Mantle. So, in her mind, if the Forerunners were to be revived, eventually the cycle would repeat itself.
- The only really good answer to this is "lol videogames". The humans and San'Shyuum (and presumably all races of the Covenant) were indexed and re-released on their home worlds, and maybe they co-exist with these sea creatures?

Forerunners mostly viewed themselves as honorable "mantle" living creatures. I'd imagine that when they realized that they were going to activate the halos, they decided to go down with them. They wanted the mantle to pass on to humans with no interference from them.

And the forerunners took a bunch of samples of alot of species, and then programmed AIs to redistribute said samples to planets to repopulate.

Once again, thanks both of you. And FUBAR, your point does make sense if they indeed catalogued every creature from every planet that would have been affected around 100,000 years ago and then reintroduced back.

A few things that bugged me about Halo 4 pertaining story elements that felt uninspired, contrived and unoriginal:
  • The concept of Husband and Wife, monogamy in alien species and duality of gender.
  • Master Chief's ability to grasp the mechanism for operating and RELOADING weapons of a prehistoric and advanced species without any aid of even Cortana.
  • Unlike Covenant weapons, Promethean weapons apparently following the same classification as human weapons. Reskinned more like it.

Were there other elements that stuck like sore thumbs for you guys?

EDIT: And did anyone else get the vibe that:

• The Composer is based right off of The Reapers

Once again, thanks both of you. And FUBAR, your point does make sense if they indeed catalogued every creature from every planet that would have been affected around 100,000 years ago and then reintroduced back.

A few things that bugged me about Halo 4 pertaining story elements that felt uninspired, contrived and unoriginal:
  • The concept of Husband and Wife, monogamy in alien species and duality of gender.
  • Master Chief's ability to grasp the mechanism for operating and RELOADING weapons of a prehistoric and advanced species without any aid of even Cortana.
  • Unlike Covenant weapons, Promethean weapons apparently following the same classification as human weapons. Reskinned more like it.

Were there other elements that stuck like sore thumbs for you guys?

EDIT: And did anyone else get the vibe that:

• The Composer is based right off of The Reapers?

For the husband and wife thing, it didn't really come off well in the game, but from what I've gathered from the books so far, husband wife was a bit different. First, the Didact and Librarian did not speak with each other for something like 100 years at some point, if I remember right. They don't really act lovey-dovey or anything, and from other families seen, it seems like they aren't very personal relationships. Mostly they are put together to breed the next generation and just become good friends/know each other well. Not so much they love each other and die for each other.

Probably did not get that across as well as I could, but you probably get the gist.

And as for Chief figuring out Forerunner weapons so fast, I'd guess 343's explanation(and one that makes the most sense), is that the Librarian programmed it into him. She explained to him in that cutscene that she engineered him and basically programmed everything in his life to be the chosen human or whatever.

There were some other elements that stuck out when I played through, but I can't remember them now. When I replay at some point I can come back and post mine. Good questions man.

SPOILER: The Mantle is meaningless drivel. She probably would learn and understand that part, too.

I know its not literal I just mean Cortana has a deeper understanding for life and the universe as a whole. So in saying she's not doing it for mankind, she's doing it for...Life in general. Or something else in general. Just doing it for John is basically the same thing as doing it for humanity since his only goal and entire existence revolves around protecting humanity.

i-Lo

For the husband and wife thing, it didn't really come off well in the game, but from what I've gathered from the books so far, husband wife was a bit different. First, the Didact and Librarian did not speak with each other for something like 100 years at some point, if I remember right. They don't really act lovey-dovey or anything, and from other families seen, it seems like they aren't very personal relationships. Mostly they are put together to breed the next generation and just become good friends/know each other well. Not so much they love each other and die for each other.

Probably did not get that across as well as I could, but you probably get the gist.

And as for Chief figuring out Forerunner weapons so fast, I'd guess 343's explanation(and one that makes the most sense), is that the Librarian programmed it into him. She explained to him in that cutscene that she engineered him and basically programmed everything in his life to be the chosen human or whatever.

There were some other elements that stuck out when I played through, but I can't remember them now. When I replay at some point I can come back and post mine. Good questions man.

By husband and wife, I meant that why do alien species have to have the same custom as humans? Feels highly uninspired.

Pertaining to the Librarian, MC started handling Promethean weapons long before that cutscene.

And get this: When I was playing the game, I NEVER saw that cutscene. I just went to youtube to see what you were talking about. When I was playing, all I saw MC enter the beam and then be covered all around with blue body hugging pulses!

What the f*CK!? That was an incredibly important info dump....

The whereabouts of the Didact? Last we saw him fell into the slipspace portal beneath his ship.

Episode 5 of Spartan Ops featured Dr. Halsey tampering with a small artifact that's the "Soul" of a Promethean Knight taken on Requiem. With unexpected further observation from the outburst of the Souls Mechanism started displaying images within all of the laboratory monitors. These Images were memories of the victims in New Pheonix from 6 months ago by the Composers Beam (Lets not forget the victims in the Ivanhoff Station near Installation 03) and NOT from Ancient Humans. The beams source is generated within the Didacts ship and through the slipspace portal beneath it.

Didact must be floating somewhere near Requiem or somewhere completely further from it. He didn't fell directly through the center of it but near the edge of the portal. Portal travel is tricky. Depends on Interfaces with both sides of the portal, or the source of the portal itself. An object could appear through it at anytime. That means years could go by if the travel is abnormal and a normal travel could be seconds, minutes, hours, days, or months perhaps.

There's not much point for him to be floating near a Halo unless there's a real purpose for it. Another shield world I'd be interested to see this how 343 will involve them more into the trilogy as potential massive weapons like Primordium mentioned them to be. Maybe the Greater Ark? I wonder.

Fuchsdh

The whereabouts of the Didact? Last we saw him fell into the slipspace portal beneath his ship.

Episode 5 of Spartan Ops featured Dr. Halsey tampering with a small artifact that's the "Soul" of a Promethean Knight taken on Requiem. With unexpected further observation from the outburst of the Souls Mechanism started displaying images within all of the laboratory monitors. These Images were memories of the victims in New Pheonix from 6 months ago by the Composers Beam (Lets not forget the victims in the Ivanhoff Station near Installation 03) and NOT from Ancient Humans. The beams source is generated within the Didacts ship and through the slipspace portal beneath it.

Didact must be floating somewhere near Requiem or somewhere completely further from it. He didn't fell directly through the center of it but near the edge of the portal. Portal travel is tricky. Depends on Interfaces with both sides of the portal, or the source of the portal itself. An object could appear through it at anytime. That means years could go by if the travel is abnormal and a normal travel could be seconds, minutes, hours, days, or months perhaps.

There's not much point for him to be floating near a Halo unless there's a real purpose for it. Another shield world I'd be interested to see this how 343 will involve them more into the trilogy as potential massive weapons like Primordium mentioned them to be. Maybe the Greater Ark? I wonder.

I think 343i did a good job on the Didact's "death" in that it's entirely plausible for him to have survived or to have been killed. Always good to have storytelling options.

Buddermilk

Neo Member

I don't think their honor played into their extinction.
Primordium Spoiler
When they fired the rings, the flood was at their front door, and the AI assigned to their defenses had become corrupt, and was destroying them with their own fleet. The Forerunner's didn't lock themselves away because there wasn't time. They had not anticipated The Precursor corrupting Mendicant Bias, and having 2/3 of their fleet fighting against them.

Idealy they would have held up in the shield worlds until the flood was eliminated, return to their planet, and watch over the repopulated planets - continuing to uphold The Mantle.

exYle

I don't think their honor played into their extinction.
Primordium Spoiler
redacted

Idealy they would have held up in the shield worlds until the flood was eliminated, return to their planet, and watch over the repopulated planets - continuing to uphold The Mantle.

I guess you're new to this forum but to hide your text behind a spoiler, you need to write [spoiler ] [/spoiler ] (without the spaces, of course), and your text will look like
this

After rewatching the Librarian scene multiple times there's nothing that immediately states she is an Ancilla.

The Only thing that clearly hints to her possibility of being an ancilla was when Didact states her meddling continues even after her own death.

So whichever GAFfer that stated she immediately states herself of being Ancilla. You're incorrect.

After rewatching the Librarian scene multiple times there's nothing that immediately states she is an Ancilla.

The Only thing that clearly hints to her possibility of being an ancilla was when Didact states her meddling continues even after her own death.

So whichever GAFfer that stated she immediately states herself of being Ancilla. You're incorrect.
The Didact refers to her as an "essence", for what its worth.

We already know that the Forerunners were able to capture and store their "souls" digitally. They were experimenting with it as a way to defeat the Flood but said their experiments failed when trying to implement them back into physical forms. I assume there are tons of Forerunners stored digitally and this will play into Halo 5 and 6. I'm still not convinced that The Didact is the only living Forerunner either. Of all the Forerunners, the only one they manage to shield from the Halos is him? Someone that the Librarian and I'm sure many others thought to be insane? I don't buy that.

exYle

"Who are you?"
"I am what remains of the Forerunner once known as the Librarian."

She doesn't straight up say AI or ancilla, but really, there's not a lot of room for interpretation.

Flipyap

"Who are you?"

She doesn't straight up say AI or ancilla, but really, there's not a lot of room for interpretation.
She could be a zombie! Or the Ghost of Christmas Future Past!

Darkmakaimura

She could be a zombie! Or the Ghost of Christmas Future Past!
She's a ghost and a Librarian.

SpOo8.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
"Who are you?"

Doesn't Cortana refer to her as an AI from then forward?

If Cortana had time to merge with her/learn from her, pretty sure that'd be basic information shed know for sure.

Darkmakaimura

Doesn't Cortana refer to her as an AI from then forward?

If Cortana had time to merge with her/learn from her, pretty sure that'd be basic information shed know for sure.
It's mentioned in Spartan Ops Episode 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd5P3AYcpaw (1:55)

"Looking for the Librarian AI Master Chief encountered?"

Later in the same video, Glassman asks if there's an 'actual living Forerunner' in the device, referring to the Librarian. So, the one MC encountered was probably an AI and that cylindrical device may actually contain the Librarian's consciousness.

exYle

It's mentioned in Spartan Ops Episode 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd5P3AYcpaw (1:55)

"Looking for the Librarian AI Master Chief encountered?"

Later in the same video, Glassman asks if there's an 'actual living Forerunner' in the device, referring to the Librarian. So, the one MC encountered was probably an AI and that cylindrical device may actually contain the Librarian's consciousness.

What makes you think the cylinder and the being that MC encountered are different?

Darkmakaimura

What makes you think the cylinder and the being that MC encountered are different?
I'm just going by what is said. Lasky could very well be wrong when he said "AI" or the Sangheili are wrong thinking the actual living Librarian is in that device. That, or they're two separate things. Hopefully we find out whenever Episode 6 starts up next year.

Darkmakaimura

This thread is quiet.

So, I just read about some the technology and abilities of the Forerunners and was quite surprised at how powerful they really were. I don't have too much knowledge of the books but didn't realize things like they had traveled to other dimensions, not counting Slipspace, for instance. Cripes, they were on a level that was pretty much god-like and that's just them, the Forerunners. I can't imagine how powerful the Precursors are/were!

How many Humans (Ancient/Descendant) or Forerunners does it take to Compose in creating a soul of a Promethean A.I.?

Promethean Knight's Soul size is relatively larger than a Monitor's Spherical Vessel when judging by the latest SpOps episode before Halsey unlocked its mechanism.
---
Also: The VGA's SpOps trailer showed maps consisting of an opened level docking bay with levitating mountains, to a large desert battle with a Huge Scarab/Precursor looking being or vehicle/Ultra Unit opening and closing its lower jaw, and what appears to be Infinity being invaded by Storm Covenant through the Forerunner Teleporting Device.

Darkmakaimura

How many Humans (Ancient/Descendant) or Forerunners does it take to Compose in creating a soul of a Promethean A.I.?

Promethean Knight's Soul size is relatively larger than a Monitor's Spherical Vessel when judging by the latest SpOps episode before Halsey unlocked its mechanism.
---
Also: The VGA's SpOps trailer showed maps consisting of an opened level docking bay with levitating mountains, to a large desert battle with a Huge Scarab/Precursor looking being or vehicle/Ultra Unit opening and closing its lower jaw, and what appears to be Infinity being invaded by Storm Covenant through the Forerunner Teleporting Device.
Ah man, I never saw this trailer until now. That does kind of look like the Primordial or it's some kind of craft we have yet to see or hear about but it looks organic.

For those who haven't seen the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttrm7IGr70Y

Wow, this looks to be awesome without doubt.

Edit: It's a craft, quite possibly a Scarab after I looked again but it does look very organic.

Fuchsdh

343's Halo is pretty dumb, but I don't think it's that bad. I suspect. Hell, I don't know. Fuck, that's a real possibility, isn't it?

I think the reason that the Prometheans were blue and now they're still orange doesn't have anything to do with whether the Librarian or Didact are alive (which they most likely are) but more whose last instructions the Prometheans were following. No one has shown up to subvert the Didact's wishes, so the Promies are still doing what they were before.

Darkmakaimura

What the fuck is up with that Harvester in Episode 6? That doesn't look like Covenant or Forerunner technology! It looks a bit organic and in some ways, almost a bit like a Reaper from Mass Effect. I wonder if we'll find out more about that thing?

exYle

What the fuck is up with that Harvester in Episode 6? That doesn't look like Covenant or Forerunner technology! It looks a bit organic and in some ways, almost a bit like a Reaper from Mass Effect. I wonder if we'll find out more about that thing?

I don't think its origins are going to get explored. The Lich was revealed first, and it just showed up out of nowhere as well.
Also, it seems that the only competent Spartan teams are Crimson and Majestic

I don't think its origins are going to get explored. The Lich was revealed first, and it just showed up out of nowhere as well.
Also, it seems that the only competent Spartan teams are Crimson and Majestic

Crimson are the ultimate fighting force. After all, they have infinite lives.

Tzeentch

I doubt it has more than a sentence giving it a supposed in-universe job (what does it even "Harvest" at an archaeological dig site?). As I noted in the Halo OT, I would not be surprised if this wasn't some old Flood concept they recycled. It sort of looks like the Flood transport 'vehicle' from The Art of Halo 3.

Like the Lich, it's just something 343i threw in so they weren't recycling all the Covenant vehicles. It has no lore, no purpose, and will only show up when they inevitably recycle that level ("The Covenant are repairing the Harvester! Crimson! Blow up the same consoles you did last time to prevent this!")

Fuchsdh

Forward Unto Dawn Fiction and Campaign Co-Op Night Continues 01/22/13

HaloFudSpoilers.jpg

What?
With the end of winter holidays and the beginning of a new season of Spartan Ops, Forward Unto Dawn continues its co-op playthrough of the game's campaign, and all are welcome! This week is the penultimate mission (and my personal favorite,) "Composer". We're not going to be setting any speedruns--rather, the playthrough is an opportunity to discuss Halo's fiction, explore the levels, and experience the story to the fullest.
When?
Tonight, 01/22/13, at 8pm EST (UTC-5). Expect it to last an hour or a bit longer--we take the scenic route.
How?
Let me know you're interested in playing by sending my XBL account a message (the GT is Pixelfox). I'll start sending out invites five minutes before 8pm, and we should be on our way within ten minutes.
If you have any questions let me know here or shoot me a message! Hope to see you there.

Darkmakaimura

The Lich still looked like Covenant technology so there was no need to explain it. It was just kind of a new Covenant vehicle. The Harvester on the other hand looks way out of place. It looks like some kind of Flood creature or possibly an ancient Precursor. Just very weird stuff there.

Spartan Ops Theories:

Dr. Halsey: After obtaining a "Key", the Librarian imprints seeds (genes) of herself on Catherine. Returns back on earth to meet with john: Prologue Scene

Sarah Palmer: Leaves the Infinity to carry out orders to eliminate Halsey on Requiem and in doing so either kills Jul M'dama or fights him until he becomes unconscious.

Captain Thomas Laskey: Sends a Rescue Party for Majestic and to obtain Halsey. Ignores Orders to Eliminate her.

Spartan Thorne: Kills more Elites. Saves Glassman. Again. Debriefing on Infinity and gives Camouflage Module Tech. to Eggheads.

Dr. Glassman: Debriefs on Infinity, duplicates Camo Module. Or Eventually Dies.

The Librarian: After imprinting seeds on Halsey, she hands her a Fragment of Cortana and/or provides a solution to reverse the composer's effects on Prometheans.

Jul M'dama: Either dies or captured for interrogation within the Infinity.

UNSC: INFINITY: Escapes Requiem. Returns to Earth.

The STORM Covenant: More Raiding Parties Arrive. Attacks Infinity. Invades Earth. Again. (Battle of New Pheonix?).

exYle

Spartan Ops Theories:

Some of these are fun, but some seem a bit ridiculous.

Dr. Halsey: After obtaining a "Key", the Librarian imprints seeds (genes) of herself on Catherine. Returns back on earth to meet with john: Prologue Scene

How would she get back to Earth?

Sarah Palmer: Leaves the Infinity to carry out orders to eliminate Halsey on Requiem and in doing so either kills Jul M'dama or fights him until he becomes unconscious.

Captain Thomas Laskey: Sends a Rescue Party for Majestic and to obtain Halsey. Ignores Orders to Eliminate her.

Spartan Thorne: Kills more Elites. Saves Glassman. Again. Debriefing on Infinity and gives Camouflage Module Tech. to Eggheads.

Dr. Glassman: Debriefs on Infinity, duplicates Camo Module. Or Eventually Dies.

Jul M'dama: Either dies or captured for interrogation within the Infinity.

UNSC: INFINITY: Escapes Requiem. Returns to Earth.

These are pretty cool. Some of them seem like they're bound to happen.
I don't think Glassman is going to die, though, pretty sure he's back safe on Infinity.

The Librarian: After imprinting seeds on Halsey, she hands her a Fragment of Cortana and/or provides a solution to reverse the composer's effects on Prometheans.

The STORM Covenant: More Raiding Parties Arrive. Attacks Infinity. Invades Earth. Again. (Battle of New Pheonix?).

These are kind of ridiculous. A re-invasion of Earth with a severely depleted military is foolish (and it's also boring to do that again). Any surprises with The Librarian will either come completely out of left field or deal with the Didact (or both), but I wouldn't expect anything on Cortana until next game.

Some of these are fun, but some seem a bit ridiculous.

How would she get back to Earth?

These are pretty cool. Some of them seem like they're bound to happen.
I don't think Glassman is going to die, though, pretty sure he's back safe on Infinity.

These are kind of ridiculous. A re-invasion of Earth with a severely depleted military is foolish (and it's also boring to do that again). Any surprises with The Librarian will either come completely out of left field or deal with the Didact (or both), but I wouldn't expect anything on Cortana until next game.
A GAFfer questioned my theory of Halsey escaping her custody within the Infinity after Laskey and Palmer discovered her PDA. I replied saying she'll leave using a teleporting device.

But to answer your question, it could simply be that she leaves with Infinity. Hopefully Laskey allows Catherine aboard the ship knowing whatever the Librarian gaved her is obviously very important and it would be a contradiction making Laskey a villain IF he followed his orders unless he deceives ONI into thinking she's actually died or mia.
---
It does sound ridiculous, but haven't we been suprised to be introduced to that theme with Reach & 4's plot finding out Cortana had another fragment beneath of Swordbase with Halsey. Or seeing Cortana say Goodbye?

Also another Raiding party is possible. But so is another Invasion. War doesn't wait for anyone. Plus it'll give a reason for John to get involved again (at least shortly > Prologue Scene).

Top Bottom