• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Affordable Nintendo Switch Accessories From Nyko: Dock, Controller, etc.

Chinbo37

Wish I hadn't spent $70 on a pro controller and $80 on joycons. Would have bought some cheap accessories and been done with it since I'm only going to use them once in a while. That dock is pretty slick though and at half the price.

Just sell them? I'm sure you can recoup a lot of the costs

I glanced the thread title as "Affordable Switch Space Adventures" for some reason, then read it and was disappointed.

Edit:

I'm curious how Nyko is getting the price of the three items (dock, USB-C PD charger, and HDMI cable) down to under $50 when I cant find comparably priced items from Anker or Monoprice, but the at least the prototype works according to reporting from Ars Technica.

I would still wait until it sees a post release review before buying given Nyko's reputation, but it may well be an option. Good on Nyko if it works.

Woah, is Nyko throwing in a 39W AC Adapter and HDMI cable with their dock? Amazing price if true.

J@hranimo

Banned
Looking good! That dock will definitely be the one I get as long as the final version does indeed come with two USB ports built in.

Looking good! That dock will definitely be the one I get as long as the final version does indeed come with two USB ports built in.

It won't. It's just HDMI and power. Small price to pay IMO for that price point. I'm sure it'll open the doors for other replacement docks that will have USB ports though.

moeman

That pro controller looks great for 30 dollars. Will have to see how it compares to the 8bitdo controller before making a decision on which to buy.

J@hranimo

Banned
It won't. It's just HDMI and power. Small price to pay IMO for that price point. I'm sure it'll open the doors for other replacement docks that will have USB ports though.

Actually...

After this article went live, a Nyko representative contacted Ars via e-mail to indicate that two USB ports will be added to the PDK by the time it launches, and possibly more.

Hopefully the form factor remains pretty small.

I'm gonna wait and see if third-party docks will force Nintendo's hand in reducing the price for the official one.
Has this ever been the case with any third party offering VS first party? Does the fact that you can get a $20-30 PS4 or XBO controller force Sony or Microsoft to drop the prices of their $60 controllers? Are there 3rd party PS Cameras that dropped the price of the first party camera?

I'm doubtful of your theory but I'm genuinely asking too cause I eventually want a PSVR headset and I'll need the damned camera but it's so expensive on top of the already expensive helmet ;__;

I'll never understand why the Switch even need a Dock to display on TV when many portable devices come with mini HDMI port that'll allow you to connect and play.

I'll never understand why the Switch even need a Dock to display on TV when many portable devices come with mini HDMI port that'll allow you to connect and play.

Easier for casual families that couldn't set the time on their vcr to stop flashing. Their cousin sets up the Dock and then they just drop it in.

This website is fucking awful with their ads and it's slowing down my computer. So I made a list of the accessories.

9SMAuBO.png

Core Controller
Wired Pro Controller knockoff. $29.99

Dyu6utR.png

Clip Grip Power
$24.99

6CZXy2E.png

Portable Dock
$49.99

rH9GeTO.png

Charge Block
$19.99

QIslaHs.png

PowerPak
$39.99

tgVqDiZ.png

PowerShell Case
$39.99

Thanks for the pics.

Finally; a Switch without scratches =D

Maybe they thought the mini HDMI port is redundant when USB-C does a great job transmitting HDMI signals to the TV?

I'm still amazed we're paying so much for a dock

Likely driven by how expensive the USB-C ports are (DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THE WIRES...not aimed at you, but people on NeoGAF seem to confuse ports for wires). I'd argue HDMI too but I'm not confident in that.

I used it at E3.

Its so slick. If you want an accurate size comparison just open your current switch dock.

Its basically the exact same size as the small hardware block inside the switch. I placed it over one and it lined up perfectly. I would link to the video I did for it but its on facebook.

h4y04F0.jpg

2nVroPK.jpg

So the only thing holding the Switch to this dock is the USB-C female connector? That seems like a disaster waiting to happen...

Would definitely love a better docking solution though than the standard Nintendo Dock...

So the only thing holding the Switch to this dock is the USB-C female connector? That seems like a disaster waiting to happen...

Would definitely love a better docking solution though than the standard Nintendo Dock...
There's a backing that slides out and attaches to give it support.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

my only problem with this dock. I'd like those little "bulges" that the switch dock also got. a little bit more security.

Just a heads up to anyone that was following these accessories, I randomly woke up to a notification that my Power Pak would be delivered today without any notice beforehand that it was preparing for shipment lmao. Trying it out right now, and the kickstand included is a lot sturdier than the standard one on the system, but it feels like it doesn't really lock into place when you aren't using it even if it is. The pak adds some heft of course, but it isn't unbearable or anything. The power button is a little annoying to access as well, but it isn't awful. Also, the thing still fits when I put it inside my Sheikah Slate case.

Does anyone know if that dock will still work with a relatively thick case? Would be nice to be able to dock my switch without taking the case off.

In for the dock. I'll just put a sticker over the Nyko logo

I can't believe how bad the one Nintendo designed is

How is Nintendo's dock "badly designed"? I have a Switch and the doc works great (and contrary to Internet rumors, the dock does not scratch the Switch).

LaneDS

Would prefer the official one, but the price is outrageous, so ordering a couple of these. Hope they work out okay!

Steiner

Banned
I just got my hands on the Power Pak (external battery case) and the Joy-Con and Pro Controller chargers. Will be reviewing them soon. The Power Pak looks and feels good. Will be getting in on my Switch as soon as I get home. I'll post a couple of pictures.

Coxy100

Banned
How is Nintendo's dock "badly designed"? I have a Switch and the doc works great (and contrary to Internet rumors, the dock does not scratch the Switch).
Internet rumours? It's a bit more than that mate - don't downplay it just because you're not affected.

There's a massive thread on here where people posted pictures showing how their Switch was getting scratched. It's from the dock being bent.

jts

...hate me...
Was a fan of the original USB-less ultracompact design. This will do, but ideally they would reintroduce that design as well. Otherwise I’m in for the more compact chinese docks.

My 20,000mAh USB power bank which I bought for Switch and can also use for phones etc. was $19.99.

I would strongly recommend this setup instead of overpriced Nyko battery accessories.

Controller and dock seems OK though.

Top Bottom