• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

jrcbandit

Same areas. I guess it's possible that social screen psvr capture looks worse than what you see in a headset but i doubt it's that much different. I see huge downgrade in all areas: lack of character + most of environment shadows, mesh quality, lighting, flat ground and environment textures, shaders :(

Fuckin Jaguar...

Was hoping Pro support would make it more comparable to the PC release, guess not...

So far in the sale, I picked up The Assembly and Mervils Adventure. I tend to like shorter experiences that you can finish for VR as I didn't find myself constantly going back to more long term games like Rigs. Still tempted by Battlezone.

Grinchy

Banned
Ancient Amuletor is pretty cool. The multiplayer is great, except you can't invite people you know. Also, you can only play levels you unlocked in single player... kind of a weird choice but it sure washes the horrible taste of Arizona Sunshine out of your mouth.

Darknight

Damn was hyped for Arizona Sunshine.

How the fuck did the developers drop the ball so hard? It just shows how the Farpoint dudes put in the effort into their game.

Im so sad! I was really to drop Zombies with the aim control and have 99% steady aim, no wobble shit. Sucks about the first impressions.

Played the demo for that Ancient Amuletor or whatever and enjoyed it, but the bow and arrow stuff seemed super janky. Is that an issue with the game or was I just having a weird issue? I am interested in getting it, especially since it is on sale right now, but I don't know if I can deal with the moves losing track like it was in the little bit I played.

Grinchy

Banned
Played the demo for that Ancient Amuletor or whatever and enjoyed it, but the bow and arrow stuff seemed super janky. Is that an issue with the game or was I just having a weird issue? I am interested in getting it, especially since it is on sale right now, but I don't know if I can deal with the moves losing track like it was in the little bit I played.

I thought it was janky too when I played it sitting down. When I went to standing with some space between me and the camera, it felt great. The bow is actually my favorite way to play so far.

dmix90

Playing Pool in Sports Bar VR in coop with a friend becomes a daily ritual. Amazing experience even if there are some minor tracking issues.

Some kind of Table Tennis with online support is baaadly needed.
It's time to greenlight Sports Champions 3 as well, Sony!

I thought it was janky too when I played it sitting down. When I went to standing with some space between me and the camera, it felt great. The bow is actually my favorite way to play so far.

Alright, thanks.I will go ahead and purchase it, probably. Seems like it should be fun and worth the 16 bucks.

Disappointed Arizona Sunshine turned out so bad. Was hoping to be playing that, but I will wait to see if they fix that stuff later. IF they can fix it.

Burglekutt

Instead of getting Arizona Sunshine Ive decided to use that money on the games on sale this week. Any opinions of Unearthing Mars and Hustle Kings VR? are they worth the sale price?

Just looked something up... Should have done this sooner. There was never any hope lol.

Arizona Sunshine was made on Unity engine.
Pack it up folks.

Unity's great for VR and that really doesn't have much of anything to do with the problems being described.

dmix90

Unity's great for VR and that really doesn't have much of anything to do with the problems being described.
Isn't almost every Unity game performs like shit on consoles? That was even for 2d indie games. Here we are talking about pretty big VR game that poor Jag must run at constant 60 or 90fps. I am not talking about tracking issues, only about presentation downgrade.

ty_hot

Watching youtube videos from VR it feels like games are coming from the PS3 era (gfx). I havent had the oportunity to try one yet, but I would guess this isnt the reality. Is it? What is the best gfx available for PSVR (on a normal ps4)?

Watching youtube videos from VR it feels like games are coming from the PS3 era (gfx). I havent had the oportunity to try one yet, but I would guess this isnt the reality. Is it? What is the best gfx available for PSVR (on a normal ps4)?

You aren't going to get AAA blockbuster graphics rendered twice and refreshing at 60hz. You barely get a AAA flat game that can run at 60, so yes there is a graphical downgrade.

That downgrade is almost nullified when you have a Vr headset on though, even bad looking games look pretty neat in VR, can't really explain why, but they do.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Any opinions on Dying Reborn, Mervils and Unearthing Mars?

And I repeat my recommendation for Time Machine VR, which is currently on sale. Not terribly "deep", but more engaging than I expected.

sniffy

Neo Member
Arizona Sunshine tracking is disappointing. Both the DS4 and Aim are not great, and from what I have seen on streams, the Moves fare no better. If they fix that it'll be worth the money, but it's just too frustrating at the moment. I'm going to hold off on a refund in the hope they fix it.

What's frustrating is seeing how well it plays on PCVR. There is potential.

majik13

There are a good amount of games that look really good in VR. From what I have played, the majority of the time has been on Pro, but main difference is usually IQ, and /or resolution between the two. Mind I haven't played nearly everything.

I'd say the best looking games are, in no particular order...
Batman
Robinson
RE7
Farpoint
Some stuff in Playroom VR and VR Wolrds look great too.

But a lot of games look good for what they are, like UD:RoB, Rigs, etc.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Isn't almost every Unity game performs like shit on consoles? That was even for 2d indie games. Here we are talking about pretty big VR game that poor Jag must run at constant 60 or 90fps. I am not talking about tracking issues, only about presentation downgrade.

Are there any graphically intensive PSVR games on Unity?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Trying to find out as it's almost bedtime for me; is Dualshock mode in Arizona Sunshine the same as Aim mode? Rifles and such?

Fuck no. Stay away from this game.

I feel like the only reason it got any positive hype from PC players is because maybe it was out during a time when quality games weren't around. It is so far behind the quality of PSVR games that it's laughable.

It was one of the first VR games on PC with higher production values and a decent sized single player campaign that wasn't in early access so that definitely got it a lot of attention. Sounds like a lot of the issues with the PSVR version are tracking (which aren't an issue on PC) and some graphics/glitch stuff that sound more like porting issues.

That said, I was never super huge on the game on Vive. Shooting felt pretty decent there but I didn't like the way they handled teleporting and I stopped playing before they patched in artificial locomotion. I can definitely see how post-Farpoint it would lose a lot of luster on PSVR the same way Arkham VR wasn't quite as interesting once it finally hit PC.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, trying to solve this viewpoint shake issue is driving me crazy. It's very subtle, and is very noticeable if I'm looking at objects close up. A good test is any game where you can put your face against a corner. If I'm right by the wall, the edge where the corner starts shakes in and out by about and inch even if my head is perfectly still. I've noticed this in RE7, Here they Lie, and in Farpoint.

Putting the camera 3 feet in front of me somewhat reduced the shake and jitter, but it still occurs but only moved around about a half inch.

Is this just how it is for everyone? Is there any solve? I've cleaned by camera lenses, calibrated the HMD lights in the control panel, turned by ps4 completely off, unplugged the breakout box and rebooted everything... nothing has gotten rid of this shaking. I've also turned off all the lights so it is pitch black in the room, turned on a desklight to give some illumination, turned all the lights on. There are no mirrors or windows in view of the camera. None of that got rid of it.

gpn

I'll add not to buy the VR Time Machine "Game"

While not really a game, I've enjoyed my time with Time Machine VR. Zipping around in the time sphere on both land and underwater is a very effective VR experience IMO. I have a great interest in aquatic dinosaurs, so that may be coloring my experience, though.

darkwing

Ok, trying to solve this viewpoint shake issue is driving me crazy. It's very subtle, and is very noticeable if I'm looking at objects close up. A good test is any game where you can put your face against a corner. If I'm right by the wall, the edge where the corner starts shakes in and out by about and inch even if my head is perfectly still. I've noticed this in RE7, Here they Lie, and in Farpoint.

Putting the camera 3 feet in front of me somewhat reduced the shake and jitter, but it still occurs but only moved around about a half inch.

Is this just how it is for everyone? Is there any solve? I've cleaned by camera lenses, calibrated the HMD lights in the control panel, turned by ps4 completely off, unplugged the breakout box and rebooted everything... nothing has gotten rid of this shaking. I've also turned off all the lights so it is pitch black in the room, turned on a desklight to give some illumination, turned all the lights on. There are no mirrors or windows in view of the camera. None of that got rid of it.

does it occur all the time?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

You can minimize that jitter by shutting down PS4 completely, then restarting it. They have a bug in the OS where this jitter error accumulates if you keep playing. It keep accumulating even when you go to from one game to another, and in and out of rest mode. Total shutdown/restart is the only cure. Even then, the jitter is not completely eliminated, but I find that after a fresh restart it's so minimal that I can barely notice it, unless I really look for it.

consoul

Man, Arizona Sunshine is really disappointing in its current state. Trying to go ironsights messes up the tracking and the Aim controller is not well suited to the other interactions like opening car trunks or eating.

I think I'm gonna put this game down for a while and wait for the patch.

Really highlights how right Farpoint got it. Its new free DLC will keep me busy for now.

MattAces

Hey all,
Vertigo Games and Jaywalkers Interactive here. First of all, we would like to thank you for supporting our game and for sharing your feedback. Today has been quite overwhelming as we've heard a lot of good things, and things that can be improved as well.
Our team is currently investigating what feedback we can address to improve the experience on PS VR. We will need time to make sure that suggested implementations work with the game's free-roaming gameplay and room-scale roots. Some of the things we are looking into are:
• Improving aiming down the sights with the PS VR aim controller
• Solutions to prevent ‘floating' due to lost PS VR tracking
• Adding a sprinting option for the PS Moves
• Adding an option to increase the turning speed
• Height calibration issues
In the mean time, a first patch is already with Sony for approval and we are expecting this to launch soon. Some of the things addressed by this first patch are:
• Frame-rate drops
• Zombies-floating-in-mid-air bug (non-English players only)
• Horde mode improvements
• Matchmaking bug fixes
We will share an update once it is live and once we have more info about the next patch.
Thanks again for playing our game!
Vertigo Games & Jaywalkers Interactive
https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/6jtwyg/arizona_sunshine_official_discussion_thread/djheqvc/

I would say avoid it until they actually fix this. That's a lot of shit to fix.

Burglekutt

While not really a game, I've enjoyed my time with Time Machine VR. Zipping around in the time sphere on both land and underwater is a very effective VR experience IMO. I have a great interest in aquatic dinosaurs, so that may be coloring my experience, though.

Fair enough. For people thinking about a purchase I would say that its more of a slightly interactive model viewer. Around 5 underwater environments with about 15 prehistoric creatures (many of which look extremely similar)for the entire game. Im not saying nobody would enjoy it but I do believe most people would be disappointed with the experience.

MattAces

Well at least they're trying.

Part of me still really wants to buy it anyway, since some complaints are saying the game is boring, tracking wouldn't fix anything. I really like the looks of the game.

Yeah maybe ill wait for a sale, and we will see where there are at fixing these issues. Though still tempted to try it.

Exactly! Really want to just say screw it and try it. I've been seeing a lot of positive reviews/feedback popping up since the discount was up. Although, Brookhaven update is dropping in a day.

Also Farpoint latest maps are really cool. Too bad they are WAY too insanely hard for single player. It is absolutely impossible. You need to kill every single enemy under a time limit to progress.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I really have to know what the hell is going on with this game.
http://www.passthecontroller.co.uk/reviews/arizona-sunshine-ps-vr
8/10

Seriously every reviews are 8/10. Minor problems are the same, the shaky gun. Aside from the few youtubers saying it is just purely not fun and boring of course, every major reviewers are liking it a lot.
We know the tracking is the main problem now, but apparently it's a fun game...?

Seems like it, I mean the PC impressions were positive as well.

I am pretty relaxed about the whole issue though, the game seems to be solid and they are openly communicating the reported issues. I am relatively confident they'll work it out.

MattAces

Seems like it, I mean the PC impressions were positive as well.

I am pretty relaxed about the whole issue though, the game seems to be solid and they are openly communicating the reported issues. I am relatively confident they'll work it out.

Gah now I'm considering getting it again.

Toma

Gah now I'm considering getting it again.

Just wait for the next sale after this one. :p You probably still have enough Farpoint/whateverothershootygame trophies left to hunt in the meantime anyway.

Grinchy

Banned
I wonder if the more positive Arizona impressions are coming from people who only played single player. The game does work a little bit better that way.

I only bought it for co-op, and the co-op stuff is completely awful.

Joystick

Fusion Wars is coming to PlayStation VR.

FUSION WARS will take you into the cockpit of a combat ship, transporting you to futuristic arenas where to prove your skills avoiding perils and enemies. Fight on your own, or coordinate with your team mates to merge your ships and reach fusion, enabling co-op action and special powers.

Lead your team to victory in unique, immersive and frantic battles.

This MULTIPLAYER COMPETITIVE MODE of FUSION WARS feature a gorgeous eSports style looking battle arena, where up to 8 players will be able to fight co-operatively in 2 teams.

Final version of the game is planned for release for the Oculus Rift and Samsung Gear VR after the CLOSED BETA, but ESTUDIOFUTURE is now also starting development efforts to bring the game to HTC VIVE and PlayStation VR, as well as a non-VR version for Steam, which shall offer a unique cross-play experience among some of these platforms.

http://fusionwars.com/
https://youtu.be/EfznT2UybTA
https://youtu.be/DxwKqJFYChM
http://www.einnews.com/pr_news/388521687/fusion-wars-competitive-beta-for-oculus-rift-announced

Pretty much. The higher budget PSVR games range from latter gen PS3 and mid tier PS4 games visually. Those running on custom engines and Unreal are the better looking. However it is very different playing the games than watching on a screen that is hard to describe, the mix of scale and depth perception significantly changes things.

There is a lot of adjustment for developers when it comes to VR (I was going to say learning but they already have the skills). Things such as animation and sound design become far more important than how many polys on screen or how nicely lit the scene is. Changes in environment design to suit scale as most game development traditionally do not use a real world scale and focus on what works better on screen. Certain tricks that work in standard gaming such as simplified immediate surroundings with long draw distances and fancy sky boxes to build onscreen complexity don't work anywhere near as well. It is hard to gauge the quality of a VR game by looking at a flat image as often many of the elements that make a quality VR experience doesn't translate well to making a pretty 16:9 image (or 4:3 if looking at social screen) as that isn't the restrictions VR is working with and shouldn't be designed around it.

Top Bottom