• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Victor Lucas is in a league of his own when it comes to game interviews

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Vic, as a Canadian, I loved your work growing up, and I'm happy to keep supporting you now. I learned so much about having a critical eye for video games from your reviews and interviews, and your passion kept me passionate.

And years later, I work in video games, and I do think that's in part to your work in my formative years!

I'm more than happy to support your new Youtube work. I watch a lot of YT these days, so I'm always up for finding new channels to follow.

Good luck in everything you do.

(as an aside, do you just never age? I look older than you now. How does that work?)

squall23

Vic, I've been watching your shows for years on CityTV, and sporadically watching your website and youtube stuff after that and will continue to do so.

Keep up the great work.

I watched EP all the time. I believe it was on city t.v. My wife used to serve Vic coffee at a Starbucks in Vancouver and she had no idea who he was until she watched the show with me early in our relationship.

Anyways I miss EP and will definitely be checking out his stuff on YouTube, I had no idea he was still doing his thing.

daTRUballin

I'm surprised he's still around. Is Tommy Tallarico still in the gaming industry? They don't work with each other anymore, right?

Zekes!

Victor Lucas is the man. I loved EP growing up. I remembered being surprised it was still on when I was older, but always watched it when I saw it was. Definitely gonna have to check out his YouTube channel and other work

Toad.T

Banned
Vic, I've been watching your shows for years on CityTV...

Tangentially related, I swear there was another VG show on City that was double billed with EP/ROTR. I think it was called GameNation? They padded out time by showing cutscenes in between competitions. Does anyone else remember this, or is it just something only I watched?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
300x300.jpg

Tina Wood is also in a executive position in Microsoft for Xbox unless that's changed.

Huh, interesting. Learn something new every day.

Not even the trippiest star Vic launched with EP.

JoyousPreciousDartfrog.gif

Who dat?

Thank you and all the best!

- Vic

Hey, Vic. Long time fan. Just wanted to say that you're good people. Liked you on your days at EP. Though, I wasn't really a fan of your buddy, Tommy Tallarico. No offense.

Glad to see you're still doing thangs!

Victor Lucas is a gem in the industry. I have nothing but the highest amount of respect for him. Electric Playground is STILL amazing to this day. Victor, you have my full support on your channels.

Is that Evangeline Lily?

Yes.

Of course Victor Lucas would be Batwing on GAF. Perfect.

Electronic Playground was a big part of my late teens and twenties. It absolutely changed the way I look at video games. I am forever appreciative of all the work you have done..

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
One of the best things about the Electric Playground back catalog episodes that Vic is uploading is that they include the commercials. What a trip.

Shin

Banned
Don't know or heard of that channel before, but the reviews conducted are top-notch.
They seem to click very well with the person they are interviewing, asking the right questions, knowing their background, etc etc. Just plain understanding the other person, very humane like.

EP and ROTR were a big part of my childhood. Good to see Vic doing the same great work he's dedicated himself to for so long. Subscribed to his channel.

zelas

Good to see Vic is still putting in the same quality work that still sets him apart from most modern efforts. Just finished watching the Monster Hunter video and loved that he pointed out what not enough people are focusing on, the level of immersion gained now that the series has broken free from handhelds.

Gonna check out the "Why Fortnite Took so Long to Develop" video next because that game has been a confusing mess to me.

Very nice voice and good questions. It's a skill to angle a question in a way that doesn't feel forced. Cory often looks disinterested in interviews, but he seemed interested here.

Flavius

It is a wonderful feeling to read these comments about my/our work. I can tell you that EP was never created without any other intention than honouring the videogame industry and the passion that we all share for it. I created the show expressly because I honestly LOVE video games and I have since I first picked up an Atari 2600 in the early 80's. I thought games were neglected on television and I wanted to change that.

I also want to clarify that EP and ROTR were never cancelled. We had a deal with a Canadian broadcaster that wasn't renewed in 2016 but it was my decision to not proceed with the risk of producing a television series again at the end of 2015 (there were partner stations that wanted us to continue under a split advertising model). I own EP and ROTR and all of the programming created under the EPN banner. The expense to go forward with more TV production and a big team was just too great and I didn't want to spend all of my time worrying about advertising. I make content. So instead I chose to finance the production of content for our YouTube/Facebook/Twitch/DailyMotion channels and to start to understand the new opportunities of delivering video content through these platforms.

In 2016 I did start to have conversations with potential TV and VOD distribution partners but very few people in the television industry right now are focused on this kind of content and I grew tired of waiting for answers, so at the beginning of 2017 I made the decision to just proceed with what we are building now and to solicit some partnerships to help us grow where we are. I've decided not to spend money on marketing and PR at this stage and instead we just focus on building fun content and continue to accumulate viewers through word of mouth. I've also partnered with Johnny Millennium from the Happy Console Gamer on a new movie review channel (in the vein of Reviews on the Run) called Film Fury.

Now things are starting to grow and get interesting with our current distribution base and you'll start to see EP content in lots of cool new places; Like the Arms interview we did at Nintendo that's been playing before movies this month in Cineplex theatres across Canada.

BUT

What we need more than anything if you like our type of content--which isn't created out a need for clickbait or to cultivate needless controversy--is for you to support us by viewing lots of our videos, commenting, giving us thumbs up for the stuff that you like (and thumbs down and comments on stuff we can do better) and hitting that subscribe button so you can check us out regularly. We post new stuff every day. We also post a ton of our classic stuff (you can watch season 1 & 2 of EP on our channel right now!) and I'm trying to develop a cool gameplan around getting you ALL of our previous material. We need viewers to grow all of that though. So please WATCH, COMMENT, SHARE and SUB.

I can assure you that EP was built for the right reasons. We created 25 seasons of television programming and kept full creative control and now I want to show folks that there is a richer, deeper, more inclusionary way to talk about everything cool every single day with our internet-based programming. I love this industry and what we've built too much to stop now. :)

YouTube.com/EPNtv
YouTube.com/FilmFury

- Vic

Can and will do! Happy to see you are still making great content. I didn't get to play XBL with you guys as much as the other G4 forum regulars, but I do recall playing some really fun cat and mouse matches in Midtown Madness 3 with you and Tommy back in the day.

All the best to you!

antitrop

I used to love watching EP. Funny I don't remember Geoff or Jade from that show, yet they are the biggest names to come out of it.

Canada has a long history in the VG biz. A ton of talent has come from here.
Geoff and Jade were on EP around the time G4 merged with TechTV, 2004-ish.

Raitaro

Even though I've been late to the party with regards to your (also great) game related stuff (as I only discovered them because of the crossovers with Johnny I admit), I've really been loving Film Fury with Johnny, Vic.

The one on Transformers had me in tears multiple times without exaggeration. You guys are really getting better at breaking down the "politeness wall" between yourselves and between you and the movies you watch and this is resulting in very snappy, down to earth and funny skits where you are playing off of each other increasingly more effectively. As such, it's quickly become my go to movie review channel (above Chris Stuckmann and Jeremy Jahns even), so do keep it up!

ike_

That's great. I remember wrestling with my parent's TV antenna as a kid trying to watch episodes of EP way back when. Vic & Tommy were such a great Yin-Yang combo.

Looks like I need to catch up on what Vic has been doing.

UberTag

I've been following Vic since the early days of the Electric Playground and Reviews on the Run, still regularly check out his material on YouTube, have attended a number of his FanExpo panels and have chatted him up one-on-one about games. Dude is an absolute credit to his profession and I love that he's been engaged with the business for so long without getting jaded. He's the Roger Ebert of his field and one hell of an interviewer.

He's also pretty enthused about ARMS. Here's his review from a couple weeks back.

catabarez

Tommy needs to guest star in another episode of RotR. I think the last thing they reviewed together was some Bomberman clone for the Wii U.

BBboy20

It is a wonderful feeling to read these comments about my/our work. I can tell you that EP was never created without any other intention than honouring the videogame industry and the passion that we all share for it. I created the show expressly because I honestly LOVE video games and I have since I first picked up an Atari 2600 in the early 80's. I thought games were neglected on television and I wanted to change that.

I also want to clarify that EP and ROTR were never cancelled. We had a deal with a Canadian broadcaster that wasn't renewed in 2016 but it was my decision to not proceed with the risk of producing a television series again at the end of 2015 (there were partner stations that wanted us to continue under a split advertising model). I own EP and ROTR and all of the programming created under the EPN banner. The expense to go forward with more TV production and a big team was just too great and I didn't want to spend all of my time worrying about advertising. I make content. So instead I chose to finance the production of content for our YouTube/Facebook/Twitch/DailyMotion channels and to start to understand the new opportunities of delivering video content through these platforms.

In 2016 I did start to have conversations with potential TV and VOD distribution partners but very few people in the television industry right now are focused on this kind of content and I grew tired of waiting for answers, so at the beginning of 2017 I made the decision to just proceed with what we are building now and to solicit some partnerships to help us grow where we are. I've decided not to spend money on marketing and PR at this stage and instead we just focus on building fun content and continue to accumulate viewers through word of mouth. I've also partnered with Johnny Millennium from the Happy Console Gamer on a new movie review channel (in the vein of Reviews on the Run) called Film Fury.

Now things are starting to grow and get interesting with our current distribution base and you'll start to see EP content in lots of cool new places; Like the Arms interview we did at Nintendo that's been playing before movies this month in Cineplex theatres across Canada.

BUT

What we need more than anything if you like our type of content--which isn't created out a need for clickbait or to cultivate needless controversy--is for you to support us by viewing lots of our videos, commenting, giving us thumbs up for the stuff that you like (and thumbs down and comments on stuff we can do better) and hitting that subscribe button so you can check us out regularly. We post new stuff every day. We also post a ton of our classic stuff (you can watch season 1 & 2 of EP on our channel right now!) and I'm trying to develop a cool gameplan around getting you ALL of our previous material. We need viewers to grow all of that though. So please WATCH, COMMENT, SHARE and SUB.

I can assure you that EP was built for the right reasons. We created 25 seasons of television programming and kept full creative control and now I want to show folks that there is a richer, deeper, more inclusionary way to talk about everything cool every single day with our internet-based programming. I love this industry and what we've built too much to stop now. :)

YouTube.com/EPNtv
YouTube.com/FilmFury

- Vic
GnsJcpn.gif

tfw you get a shoutout in a video O_O
tenor.gif

Batwing

Neo Member
Hey NeoGAF,

Can you help me spread the word? I've got the release of our classic seasons of content tied to specific milestones.

We released season one of Electric Playground (1997) at 10K subs on our YouTube channel, two (1998) at 20K and now we're set to do that again with season three (1999) when we hit 30K.

We're not that far from reaching that goal and I can promise you that the classic stuff is a blast to watch--we shot a lot of really cool, exclusive stuff every season. So if you can help me let people know, I'll be very grateful! Our channel is:

YouTube.com/EPNtv

Thank you and thanks again for all the very sweet comments about our current work!

-Vic

Arttemis

Hey NeoGAF,

Can you help me spread the word? I've got the release of our classic seasons of content tied to specific milestones.

We released season one of Electric Playground (1997) at 10K subs on our YouTube channel, two (1998) at 20K and now we're set to do that again with season three (1999) when we hit 30K.

We're not that far from reaching that goal and I can promise you that the classic stuff is a blast to watch--we shot a lot of really cool, exclusive stuff every season. So if you can help me let people know, I'll be very grateful! Our channel is:

YouTube.com/EPNtv

Thank you and thanks again for all the very sweet comments about our current work!

-Vic
Subbed. Didn't know you were back in action until this thread. Fantastic memories of your past work, and fantastic material in your new channel!

Luigi87

Hey NeoGAF,

YouTube.com/EPNtv

-Vic

An easy sub from me!
Hope more people share this among their social networks.

HeeHo

Used to love Electric Playground because of Victor and Tommy. I liked how they obviously had different tastes in games but always tried to meet somewhere in the middle.

Anyway, I didn't even know Victor was still doing this stuff. I'm gonna give these a watch.

Top Bottom