• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Victor Lucas is in a league of his own when it comes to game interviews

I've always had a hard time watching Victor Lucas stuff. Maybe because the cheese factor in EP seemed so high? I don't know why... shrug. He does good work though.

TechOne

Hey NeoGAF,

Can you help me spread the word? I've got the release of our classic seasons of content tied to specific milestones.

We released season one of Electric Playground (1997) at 10K subs on our YouTube channel, two (1998) at 20K and now we're set to do that again with season three (1999) when we hit 30K.

We're not that far from reaching that goal and I can promise you that the classic stuff is a blast to watch--we shot a lot of really cool, exclusive stuff every season. So if you can help me let people know, I'll be very grateful! Our channel is:

YouTube.com/EPNtv

Thank you and thanks again for all the very sweet comments about our current work!

-Vic
Subscribed. 👌👌

gabbo

Totally in to help Vic spread the old EP word online. I didn't realize he had moved to the web to continue EP, and the other shows that spun off from it. Once he was mainly on Omni and the other local channels it became really difficult to find new episodes airing and Space was garbage to get new episodes for a long time. This will help.

I love seeing people who just learned that Jade, Evangeline, Geoff were parts of this show before becoming names in their own right. I still remember being unhappy the day Reviews on the Run was split into its own show instead of being the last segment of EP. I was so confused and kind of disliked the split, since RoTR was my favourite part, and it felt like a good release at the end of an episode since EP was mainly previews and less indepth on the industry at the time.

All I ask is that you get Tommy to come back, just to see if his worst game of 2017 is still High Heat Baseball 2003.

Erevador

Hey NeoGAF,

Can you help me spread the word? I've got the release of our classic seasons of content tied to specific milestones.

We released season one of Electric Playground (1997) at 10K subs on our YouTube channel, two (1998) at 20K and now we're set to do that again with season three (1999) when we hit 30K.

We're not that far from reaching that goal and I can promise you that the classic stuff is a blast to watch--we shot a lot of really cool, exclusive stuff every season. So if you can help me let people know, I'll be very grateful! Our channel is:

YouTube.com/EPNtv

Thank you and thanks again for all the very sweet comments about our current work!

-Vic
This stuff is an absolute treasure trove of gaming history. The new content you're up to has been great too, it was great seeing you spend an hour or so laying out in great detail your disappointment with Mass Effect Andromeda.

Grateful for the lifelong commitment to celebrating video games.

Love Electric Playground I remember getting up on Saturday mornings in the late 90s to watch it every Saturday love the show then and love it now.

Deadly

EP and Reviews on the Run was the bomb. I could never remember when it was on when I was younger though so I'd always miss some episodes :( It would play at such odd hours sometimes.

Victor Lucas....that's a name I haven't heard in a while. As a canadian I watched all his shit all the time. I even think he was behind Tsilon wasn't he? That was good times for a while.

Nice to see him posting here. Kind of sad to see that the channel is still on the low end of views but that's a decent amount of subs. Deserves so much more though.

Qwyjibo

Never forget the joy of Tommy and Vic's legendary negative review of High Heat Baseball 2003.
I'm always a little disappointed that this is pretty much High Heat's legacy. The console versions probably sucked but the PC versions of High Heat 2000-2003 were excellent baseball sims. They had a solid online community too.

Vic is awesome though. EP was seemingly the only video game show in Canada that lasted for any longer stretch of time. Scott Jones and his surly personality was a good counterpoint to Vic in the later years of the show.

Victor Lucas....that's a name I haven't heard in a while. As a canadian I watched all his shit all the time. I even think he was behind Tsilon wasn't he? That was good times for a while.

Nice to see him posting here. Kind of sad to see that the channel is still on the low end of views but that's a decent amount of subs. Deserves so much more though.

Born and raised in Toronto I had no idea Electric Playground was Canadian, I just thought it was some American show we got. Some good memories.

99Luffy

Banned
Zoe flower was also a great host, she had the same style as victor too.

I vaguely remember one interview at a convention where a developer was so damn patronizing, he said something like 'oooh you dont wanna hear about that..' and she said something along the lines of 'try me.'

Edit: theres like no record of her on the internet.

Daingurse

Hey NeoGAF,

YouTube.com/EPNtv

-Vic

Already subbed to ya man, but I'm definitely interested in more old school content. I also checked out the Film Fury channel. Pretty enertaining, I like the format. Pretty much Reviews on the Run for movies! Subbed.

Ryukori

I love Victor Lucas! I remember watching The Electric Playground and Reviews on the Run every Saturday. My favourite game host and reviewer of all time! :)

i-Jest

For a lot of us Canadians growing up in the late 90's and early 2000's, Electric Playground was a STAPLE for Videogame news and reviews on television. I don't know anyone who doesn't look back on the Shows earlier days with warmth, affection, and admiration.

He hasn't lost his touch, not one bit. You can clearly see that in his sit down with the Rerez guys, during a talk they had about Switch: https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLzx_ak-EKl1yB8gUjpPCTfCOhPnu-zr0f&v=Gb13c91u1gw

I can guarantee you, if Tommy and Victor sat down to discuss the industry, reviews, and E3 or PAX people would take time out of their lives to watch that. I damn sure would.

Now I'm just missing the early G4 days.

Me too, I use to watch G4 24/7 back in the early 2000's

Same (US based myself), loved a ton of the programs it had. Hardly had a reason to change the channel.

Glad I discovered this youtube channel because of threads like this, though I'm truly surprised at how few subs it has. Is EP also on TV somewhere? Or do they have a Patreon? Because I can't see how a channel like this can subsist on such a small sub count, let alone doing daily videos.

EDIT: Saw that Vic replied in the thread, helped me get some answers.

Matticers

I love me some Victor Lucas. Hopefully he gets a lot more subscribers because his reviews/interviews/content in general deserves the attention.

Some stuff with Tommy again in the future would be amazing. I loved Reviews on the Run/Judgment Day. It's cool to see his recent movie reviews are somewhat similar in style to that.

Coen

Subbed. I haven't seen any of the TV stuff people keep mentioning (I'm European), but his interviews are great. Definitely worth the annoying YouTube notifications.

Monocle

Subscribed based on that God of War interview with Cory Barlog. I appreciate interviewers that ask insightful questions.

Darknight

Hey NeoGAF,

YouTube.com/EPNtv

-Vic

Vic you are a legend and a scholar! Thank you for making tons and tons of content that you have over the years. Its a pleasure always watching these old school videos.

Please keep doing what you do. Not only do you get a kick out of it, fans like us enjoy watching your shows. Much love!!

Erevador

Subscribed based on that God of War interview with Cory Barlog. I appreciate interviewers that ask insightful questions.
Agreed, that was a great interview. Interesting hearing from Barlog how his time with George Miller shaped his narrative ambitions.

The Spiderman interview was even better in my opinion. Very reassuring for fans of the character.

Blueblur1

I remember old game magazines (probably EGM) mentioning Electric Playground a lot in the 2000s but I never got to watch it since we never had G4 in my home. Really wish I had seen it during its hay day.

Azriell

I had no idea Vic was still active in the industry. Thanks for making this thread, OP, and thanks to Vic for the great stuff you made back in the day. I've just subbed on YT, and am really looking forward to sitting down and running through these vids.

Mysterio

Neo Member
I used to watch EP daily all the time when it was on Citytv. Vic's reviews and takes on video games/movies are very insightful, and definately worth the watch.

Monocle

Agreed, that was a great interview. Interesting hearing from Barlog how his time with George Miller shaped his narrative ambitions.

The Spiderman interview was even better in my opinion. Very reassuring for fans of the character.
Good to hear. I'll check it out!

Hesh

I'm not Canadian but I have fond memories of watching EP and JD as a kid when my family first got digital cable. Subscribed as soon as I saw Victor & his crew were still around making cool content on the industry.

jwhit28

I subscribed to the youtube channel when they put up the 1990's E3 videos. The volume of videos they put out is pretty amazing for the quality that they are.

Erevador

Bringing this thread back because this is really a top notch interview with AC: Origins game director Ashraf Ismail.

Some of the deepest, most informative stuff I've heard on the process behind the game. Vic seems to have the trust and respect of developers, and so its fun to see him really able to draw them out and go deep.

It's a crime this video has under 2k views!

Erevador

Holy crap, I had no idea. Subscribed and will be watching.
Yeah, I feel like everyone knows Vic from way back when his show was on G4 in the US, but it hasn't been fully promoted that he has all this great content on YouTube.

He should probably do more outreach (like going on popular gaming podcasts with people well known in the online space) so people actually know the channel exists.

Yeah, I feel like everyone knows Vic from way back when his show was on G4 in the US, but it hasn't been fully promoted that he has all this great content on YouTube.

He should probably do more outreach (like going on popular gaming podcasts with people well known in the online space) so people actually know the channel exists.

Yeah he's still fantastic, I agree that I think a lot of people who were fans of his don't know he's got this channel.

Erevador

Yeah he's still fantastic, I agree that I think a lot of people who were fans of his don't know he's got this channel.
I think it's a bit hard for people who come from an old media mindset to seamlessly transition to the digital world. The production quality on the channel is INSANELY beyond YouTube standards, but I think he'd do well to do more long and talky videos like his NES Classic review. I feel like Youtube is much more based around personality and intimacy than production value, and YouTube audiences seems to like long videos that provide a deep dive into hot topics.

Top Bottom