• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would YOU like to see in a Smash Switch

Unless the next game is a port of smash 4, expect cuts and lots of them. Anyone who expects every character back in a brand new smash is delusional

Raptomex

Every stage from every Smash game. Every character from every Smash game. I did like the Amiibo aspect of Smash 4 and how it trains. I would love to see that return albeit with an option to not need a physical Amiibo.

Voidwolf

Straight port of 4 with all Wii U and 3DS content.

Snake and Wolf. Impa with Hyrule Warriors design.

Gray Fox.

Actual alternate skins instead of palette swaps. Give me all the Links, Zeldas, Foxes, and others. Allow us to swap Snake/Old Snake/Big Boss/MGS2 Raiden. Different power armors for Samus.

I'll buy a switch if they do this.
I'm buying one anyway but I'm holding off for a major hardware revision.

I just want a few simple things, many of which have already been said:

* Inkling added as playable character (girl better be default)
* Ashley (warioware) added as as a playable character
* female Corrin to be the default Corrin
* No more stages with walk-offs
* No more stages with gimmicks that ruin the stage (e.g. yellow devil)
* Items brought back in line with previous entries in the series (4's items just seem a bit too OP by comparison)

Oh and my own special request:
* remove the favourite character of anyone who posted here asking for Corrin to be removed. It's the only thing they deserve :p

Corrin is my favourite character in the entirety of smash. Every time I remember she's even in the game I feel the urge to play it. No other member of the cast to date has given me that feeling so I hope she stays around forever :3

Duderino

I'm sorry, are you talking about what you want them to do, or what you expect them to do? You keep flip-flopping between the two and I don't know if it's out of disingenuity, genuine confusion, or what.

That and the hilarious strawman aside, yes, that's what I both expect and want them to do. Why would I want them to actively remove perfectly good content? Why would they need to take "risks" when the core gameplay is rock solid and the theme is perfectly defined? How does the "lower recognition and sentimental value" argument hold water when they added Pac-Man, Cloud and Megaman to the latest entry, and they can tap into the massive current popularity of Splattoon for the next one? Again, it just seems like you want a different game than what Smash is, and that is fine: there already are different games, just buy one of them.

I'm talking about what I expect them to do given the series history of change and the diminishing value with continuing to stick to the exact same development strategy as Smash 4.

With every new installment they rebuild each character from the ground up. It may be the same fighter, but it's still new content the devs are creating, tweaking, and balencing. The notion that droping characters is "removing" content does not line up with the actual work the team pours months, and now possibly even years into re-creating for your enjoyment.

You see, Smash 4's roster size will be a major strain on development with the next game if they wish to keep expanding the perceived content. Say they aim for 60 characters with a true Smash 5, the schedule will afford them even less time to deviate from the last instalment, hence less risks taken.

Historicaly, the series has introduced a twist to the core formula with each installment, though that did diminish a bit with the last game. Me expecting the series to continue changing is perfectly in line with what the franchise has done since it's inception. And yes, I do believe a reboot of sorts is necessarily for the team to make that happen and avoid Smash 5 becoming too derivative of the last game.

Expecting more of the same (as in more Smash 4), because you think it's already perfect, now that's being oblivious to how change is a defining factor of the series. There's nothing inherently wrong with wanting a direct follow-up for the sake of growing the roster, like a Smash equivalent to a Street Fighter numbered installment special edition, but up until this point that really hasn't been characteristic of the franchise.

(Btw, I already covered squid kids in the first post you replied too, go re-read that if you want my thoughts there)

Bring back tripping!

God no. Brawl was a complete mess from a competitive standpoint. Tripping was annoying in casual play too, I don't see why anyone would seriously want the mechanic back.

Personally, I hope we just get a Smash 4 port with all DLC characters/stages included and 3 newcomers (K Rool, Inkling, random 3rd party character).

tsab

• more quest characters like Mr Video, Shovel Knight, Meatboy, Shantae, Rayman, Rabbids etc
  • keep and expand the 8 player mode
  • decent single player story
  • dont give more slots to pokemon and fire emblem

mas8705

Honestly, the best thing I can say for a Smash for Switch release is even more characters if at all possible. There are too many to list out, so I'll leave that be. Honestly, I liked the idea of Transformation getting removed; it was the only good thing that came out of the 3DS inclusion since it allowed more characters to shine more rather than giving them the ability that they won't use since they like one character more than the other.

Otherwise, it would be nice if there was a wider variety in terms of stage selections and collections in music. Also make the option available so that you can either set up FD, Battlefield, or the removal of stage hazards on all stages.

Simple requests really. No reason to over complicate it.

deleted

I'm fine with Smash 4 Switch.

They just have to fix and add a few things.
The stages need a hazard toggle
The missing items should return
The offline tournament mode should return

Otherwise I'd love for more Smash and Melee stages to make a return.
And of course I'd love for Bomberman and King K. Rool to enter the battle.

I'm talking about what I expect them to do given the series history of change and the diminishing value with continuing to stick to the exact same development strategy as Smash 4.

With every new installment they rebuild each character from the ground up. It may be the same fighter, but it's still new content the devs are creating, tweaking, and balencing. The notion that droping characters is "removing" content does not line up with the actual work the team pours months, and now possibly even years into re-creating for your enjoyment.

You see, Smash 4's roster size will be a major strain on development with the next game if they wish to keep expanding the perceived content. Say they aim for 60 characters with a true Smash 5, the schedule will afford them even less time to deviate from the last instalment, hence less risks taken.

Historicaly, the series has introduced a twist to the core formula with each installment, though that did diminish a bit with the last game. Me expecting the series to continue changing is perfectly in line with what the franchise has done since it's inception. And yes, I do believe a reboot of sorts is necessarily for the team to make that happen and avoid Smash 5 becoming too derivative of the last game.

Expecting more of the same (as in more Smash 4), because you think it's already perfect, now that's being oblivious to how change is a defining factor of the series. There's nothing inherently wrong with wanting a direct follow-up for the sake of growing the roster, like a Smash equivalent to a Street Fighter numbered installment special edition, but up until this point that really hasn't been characteristic of the franchise.

(Btw, I already covered squid kids in the first post you replied too, go re-read that if you want my thoughts there)

So you expect them to do the "same they've been doing until now", by doing the exact opposite of what they've done until now. Absolutelly brilliant.

Justifying this argument with "hey, it's change, right? the game has changed until now so this makes sense!" is such a perfect, ridiculously tinfoil-hat-y cherry on top that, sorry, I'm going to ignore you from now on. I would be annoyed that I wasted so much time if it wasn't for all the laughs.

Yeah, I was forgetting that for non-wiimote controls the other face buttons are used for jump though, but maybe B,Y, & B+Y for the variations would cover it.
And of course you could leave in character specific control selection so everyone's happy just using whichever attack on B if they want.

That would work, and now I'm sad we're probably never going to see this. :/

Yukinari

A definitive version of Smash 4 with all the content just like everybody else wants.

If the next Smash game gets rid of the incredible roster and stages we got on Wii U/3DS then why even bother with it.

Not saying Smash 5 would be Marvel Infinite tier but it would be instantly inferior.

I keep my Wii U plugged in solely for Smash.

L Thammy

I'm a pretty simple guy. I just want ST Falcon.

story_bl4bv8.gif

Also Takamaru, Mach Rider, Aeron, and Zael would be good. And Ivan from Devil's Third. And Ryu Hayabusa.

Also more Smash Run stages. And an adventure mode based on Smash Run. And more manageable Smash Tour.

Duderino

So you expect them to do the "same they've been doing until now", by doing the exact opposite of what they've done until now. Absolutelly brilliant.

Justifying this argument with "hey, it's change, right? the game has changed until now so this makes sense!" is such a perfect, ridiculously tinfoil-hat-y cherry on top that, sorry, I'm going to ignore you from now on. I would be annoyed that I wasted so much time if it wasn't for all the laughs.

Smash 5 will have less of a chance to evolve and differentiate itself, like past tittles have, if the team is busy being overwhelmed with remaking most of the prior roster while simultaneously trying to expanding it. At some point that direction becomes unsustainable and has to shift so resources can be free'd up to produce more meaningful content for the new tittle.

Now please, stop being rude. It's not necessary. If you want to ignore me, then listen to Sakuari raising his concerns on the subject earlier into Smash 4's development.

RomanceDawn

Smash 5 will have less of a chance to evolve and differentiate itself, like past tittles have, if the team is busy being overwhelmed with remaking most of the prior roster while simultaneously trying to expanding it. At some point that direction becomes unsustainable and has to shift so resources can be free'd up to produce more meaningful content for the new tittle.

Now please, stop being rude. It's not necessary. If you want to ignore me, then listen to Sakuari raising his concerns on the subject earlier into Smash 4's development.

Just want to chime in on that article you linked to for a moment. What he says does ring true more today than it did during 3DU's development but after all of that said what did we get?

Pretty much the exact same game we all know and love with a few new modes and mini games. That plus 20(count em, twenty) brand new move sets attached to brand new characters with a few returning characters like Pit and Bowser gaining some major over hauls. That was more characters than the original Smash and Melee as far as brand new moves and animations are concerned.

Sakurai may not want to focus on just making new characters but we know his work ethic, and he knows what we expect of him. He can focus on a lot of things he thinks will be the next hotness but all the while he will be making new characters. I'm going to low ball and say we get just about everyone from the last game plus 10 more at least.

When it comes to a new direction I'm not even really sure what Sakurai really meant by that because Smash is still Smash.

Note: In my count above I didn't include, Lucina, Dr Mario or Dark Pit.

Duderino

Just want to chime in on that article you linked to for a moment. What he says does ring true more today than it did during 3DU's development but after all of that said what did we get?

Pretty much the exact same game we all know and love with a few new modes and mini games. That plus 20(count em, twenty) brand new move sets attached to brand new characters with a few returning characters like Pit and Bowser gaining some major over hauls. That was more characters than the original Smash and Melee as far as brand new moves and animations are concerned.

Sakurai may not want to focus on just making new characters but we know his work ethic, and he knows what we expect of him. He can focus on a lot of things he thinks will be the next hotness but all the while he will be making new characters. I'm going to low ball and say we get just about everyone from the last game plus 10 more at least.

When it comes to a new direction I'm not even really sure what Sakurai really meant by that because Smash is still Smash.

Note: In my count above I didn't include, Lucina, Dr Mario or Dark Pit.

Oh I completely agree that Smash 4 did wind up delivering more character content than Sakauri initially let on in this article. It speaks volumes to the kind of pressure they were under.

As you mentioned, his concerns then are still valid. Perhaps even more so now that they've gone well beyond the limit of what Sakauri considered manageable. It's a major testament to what the Smash 4 team accomplished, but the expectation now, unfortunately for the next team, is to exceed that. Perfect recipe for an even more troubled, strenuous development requiring a more rigid schedule.

I very much doubt Sakauri, after Smash 4, has changed his opinion on this matter. If anything the stress he's gone through has probably cemented it. Yes, Sakauri does ask a lot of himself and his team(s), as do the fans, but he's obviously been thinking about their limits for a while now. We on the consumer end don't get to define what that ceiling is, though many here would clearly like to. Perhaps that's why mentioning the word "reboot" illicits such a strong response, even though it would grant them some much needed flexibility.

Top Bottom