• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's Famitsu news (June 13, 2007)

Sagitario

cvxfreak said:
Oh god, two cameras for the GunCon 3?

I'm no tech whore (in the professional sense) so please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those cameras essentially equivalent to the sensor bar? Not exactly the same of course since I doubt the GunCon 3 is motion driven.

The camera is actually in the Wiimote...
The sensor bar is just a bunch of LED so the camera can track the position...

Trakdown

I really hope that cord on the camera is just pulled taught and tied back, or those with big screens are going to be screwed. If it's that short, there's no way it can reach.

Terrell

151584461220070613085803.jpg

WHOA, was it ever announced that this game has a release date of Winter 2007? Because it's written right there.

Troidal

Huh...there is a 3rd party lightgun that works on LCDs (and HDTVs?) and you do put two sensors at the left and right of the screen. Guncon 3 probably uses similar technology.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
wow, I like waking up on Wednesday and seeing this thread :)
I hope Famitsu stops being jackasses pulling my Famitsu-day to Friday...

Namco blowout this week! Tekken, Soul Calibur, Time Crisis...after these announcements, I wonder what are they going to do with the next 'Tales of' since their other franchises have gone X360/PS3 and Wii is getting a SC spinoff while they get SC4...with Sword of Legendia announced for Wii sounding (its name) like a spinoff-sequel and not like the real next Tales of, I really wonder :/

Oh, and I want to know what the hell is the New RPG for PS3 that Namco has on its website since many months ago :(

The short version is that Namco's guys have choose to develop games almost only for the western market and ignore the japanese market.
No DS support, no real big games for the Wii: Namco is doing all they could to ignore the new situation. :lol

It will be interesting to see if this "avoid" strategy works and if yes, how much time? But this is an old story.
They have made a choice. We'll see if this is a long term strategy.

Inaba: I understand what you are saying, but I think that if you consider the Wii controller and you start making a game that takes advantage of the controller, then you might make a game that overuses that controller. I think making a game for a controller is a mistake. I think you make a game that is an interesting game and then if that controller makes the game more interesting then you implement those features. You don't make a "controller game" -- you make a game and then the controller makes it more interesting. I think a good example of this is The Eye of Judgement on the PS3. If you look at that game, it's about using a camera and cards and making monsters appear in your hand. That's not a game where they set out to say "oh we're going to make a camera game." It's a game that they probably had the idea for, thought about the abilities of the PS3 and then decided how to go about making that game a reality. That's the approach we want to take with our games in the future.

Classic. Big. Mistake.

Sony, Microsoft and all major Third Parties think since a lot of time that first you make the game and then you implement the controller.

Nintendo FIRST implement the controller and THEN build the game around it.

If this policy continues we'll never see good games from Thirs Parties on Wii.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
neo2046 said:
no one posted yet?

SEEDS Inaba interview
-- Kamiya and Mikami are working on a big title(s)
-- no PS2 support, projects will tend to be multi-platforms

Tekken 5 DR ONLINE (PS3, PSN download)
-- 2800 Yen, 1000 yen if people has downloaded the previous Tekken
-- FREE online match
-- online ranking
-- date are not decided yet

Time Crisis 4 (PS3, 2007)
-- Guncon 3 also revealed
-- AC mode 100% port
-- Mission mode: Rush will be the main character

PS3 Folks Souls - 8/9/8/8

Sounds like great news for me. Glad to see SEEDS is supporting the PS3. I will definitely buy their games day one. Tekken 5 online??? Awesome, I still play it on my ps3 and psp. I'll be sure to buy this one to play online.

I want to see the next gen guncon 3, man I hope it looks good.

Good score for Folks souls, totally buying the american version though, unless the american cover sucks.

azrael p.o.s. said:
The countdown timer is now down to 9 days! You know what that means?!?!

These will be 9 of the longest days in my life.

Then add in some Japan Time in there and it will be even longer (or shorter)

F-Pina

The wire on the Guncon is ridiculous.
And here i was thinking about using a gun that i can roll on the floor and cover behind the couch :D

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Developers like Namco and Sega not showing their shooting game s on the Wii are nerds. It's OK they release Time Crisys 4 on the PS3, but release all the older ****ing great Time Crisys on the Wii. It would be easy cash in and more accessible to everyone that GunCom games.

ram

tanasten said:
Developers like Namco and Sega not showing their shooting game s on the Wii are nerds. It's OK they release Time Crisys 4 on the PS3, but release all the older ****ing great Time Crisys on the Wii. It would be easy cash in and more accessible to everyone that GunCom games.

you can play them on ps2 with two g-cons and even for less money...

Hero

Guncon 3 looks hot.

Can anyone translate or sum up what the Hajime No Ippo game reviews? I'm curious as to what they had to say. I'm going to get it regardless.

neo2046 said:
Time Crisis 4 (PS3, 2007)
-- Guncon 3 also revealed
-- AC mode 100% port
-- Mission mode: Rush will be the main character

Ruh Roh my friend is going to be pissed when he finds out that there won't be a 360 version.

Aggelos

Phoenix Fang said:
Ruh Roh my friend is going to be pissed when he finds out that there won't be a 360 version.

It has to be so, because this joke has to stop (where a significant part of the XBox360 userbase wants to arrogate/unsurp every PS3-2 exclusive game). There has to be an end on this joke....

mabuza

Banned
Aggelos said:
It has to be so, because this joke has to stop (where a significant part of the XBox360 userbase wants to arrogate/unsurp every PS3-2 exclusive game). There has to be an end on this joke....
it will never end. get used to it. in fact dont be be surprised when they start asking first party sony games to be on their of choice as well

Aggelos

mabuza said:
it will never end. get used to it. in fact dont be be surprised when they start asking first party sony games to be on their of choice as well

If that's the case, then the only thing I can say is: "Divine retribution!"

Salazar

Aggelos said:

I can almost understand people not liking it when 360 owners dismiss or ridicule the PS3's exclusive list. But to get irritated by the fact that a lot of us now routinely covet sections of it ? Are you really snarling because of what somebody else wants ?

xcomp

I can understand the good 36/40 score for Itadaki Street because the board game is really fun! Just wondering if this DS version will be as hard as the PSP game... The AI players always seem to get the right dice throws :lol

So, no news about the Bandai-Namco's Code Geass DS game? I'm hoping it'll be an adventure game with 3D mech battles and an original story.

http://www.geass-game.jp/

1181644727935ko2dc4.jpg

And on other bits of news, the Japanese version of Ace Attorney 3 will be getting a bonus 4 faced cover. Something you can probably use if you have the the import copies of the earlier games only and waiting to get the fourth English only one :D

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070613/gsbp.htm

gsbp01eo0.jpg

gsbp02zh9.jpg

Aggelos

Salazar said:
Are you really snarling because of what somebody else wants ?

I am not snarling because of what somebody else desires, I am criticizing the phenomenon that arised by the not-expectated sales of PS3 and by the fact that PS3 lost some exclusives (DMC4, VF5, etc.). A phenomenon that implies PS3 is gonna to lose every third-party exclusive sooner or later and eventually is going to be suppressed.
For instance it was posted 994987987 times in this boards the rumour "MGS4 on Xbox360" .....

I any case a big "YAY!!!" for TC4+Guncon3 on PS3
and big "YAY!!!" that SC4 is going to have a PS3 version afterall, because some ugly rumours said that opposite.....

Parl

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Classic. Big. Mistake.

Sony, Microsoft and all major Third Parties think since a lot of time that first you make the game and then you implement the controller.

Nintendo FIRST implement the controller and THEN build the game around it.

If this policy continues we'll never see good games from Thirs Parties on Wii.

What is it with this paradigm of thought? It's ridiculously conservative. How can you build a game properly without knowing your input possibilities?

You can't sit there and design a FPS which relies heavily on the the user turning around really quickly, or it'll become extremely difficult, if the input doesn't allow such a thing. Mouse does, an analog setup won't, unless it's extremely sensitive, then it becomes difficult to do minor movement, etc.

You can't sit there and think, "I'm gonna make a sports game where in order to control it, you physically replicate the actual sport to some degree, which will make it intuitive and easy to play for non-gamers" without motion detection of some kind.

Games should be designed taking all game experience dimensions into account, including user input, which would be different for each controller. Games shouldn't be designed with the way it controls as an afterthought unless the actually interactivity aspect is fairly minimal to the experience, like in a turn-based RPG, where often, control is taken for granted. But designing Super Monkey Ball and saying, hey, let's make one for the SNES, or designing Brain Training and going, hey, let's put this on XLA (I know that won't happen) is an absolutely ridiculous concept.

Likewise, the concept of designing a game around a controller (whatever that's mean to mean) is often useless too. It'd probably mean the game experience is nearly enough entirely about interactivity. Thinking in a way like "fun things to do in a game which this controller will allow" is okay though.

Another way to explain it would be: Let's say horror games weren't scary at all during the day (which isn't exactly true), and then all of the a sudden, Earth became cursed with globally eternal daylight, horror games will lose a lot of their appeal.

wsippel

Banned
ethelred said:
Inaba's made it pretty clear he's not interested in the Wii and doesn't care to develop for it (which is fine) -- I don't know why some people insisting on continuing to believe that that support was coming despite his politely phrased utter distaste for the machine. This should, hopefully, put the nail in the coffin of that incessant speculation. No Seeds on Wii.
That's Inaba, though. But Mikami has his own team/ studio, and he's free to develop for Wii. He's also working on a game together with Suda, and Suda only has Wii and DS projects in the works right now as far as we know...

Orlics

Aggelos said:
I am not snarling because of what somebody else desires, I am criticizing the phenomenon that arised by the not-expectated sales of PS3 and by the fact that PS3 lost some exclusives (DMC4, VF5, etc.). A phenomenon that implies PS3 is gonna to lose every third-party exclusive sooner or later and eventually is going to be suppressed.
For instance it was posted 994987987 times in this boards the rumour "MGS4 on Xbox360" .....

I any case a big "YAY!!!" for TC4+Guncon3 on PS3
and big "YAY!!!" that SC4 is going to have a PS3 version afterall, because some ugly rumours said that opposite.....

It's more of a case of, "why wouldn't x game be on 360 as well?"

In the case of MGS4 and FFXIII, it's because they are very high budget games built from the ground up for the PS3. Time Crisis 4 doesn't have an excuse.

KurowaSan

cvxfreak said:

I'm no tech whore (in the professional sense) so please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those cameras essentially equivalent to the sensor bar? Not exactly the same of course since I doubt the GunCon 3 is motion driven.

judging by the blue/purple light dots, i'd say they are in fact just leds. and yeah, it will most likely work like the wii.
this is basically the only way you can get gun games to work on LCDs, the way they worked on CRTs is not possible on LCDs or plasmas.

Parl said:
What is it with this paradigm of thought? It's ridiculously conservative. How can you build a game properly without knowing your input possibilities?

You can't sit there and design a FPS which relies heavily on the the user turning around really quickly, or it'll become extremely difficult, if the input doesn't allow such a thing. Mouse does, an analog setup won't, unless it's extremely sensitive, then it becomes difficult to do minor movement, etc.

You can't sit there and think, "I'm gonna make a sports game where in order to control it, you physically replicate the actual sport to some degree, which will make it intuitive and easy to play for non-gamers" without motion detection of some kind.

Games should be designed taking all game experience dimensions into account, including user input, which would be different for each controller. Games shouldn't be designed with the way it controls as an afterthought unless the actually interactivity aspect is fairly minimal to the experience, like in a turn-based RPG, where often, control is taken for granted. But designing Super Monkey Ball and saying, hey, let's make one for the SNES, or designing Brain Training and going, hey, let's put this on XLA (I know that won't happen) is an absolutely ridiculous concept.

Likewise, the concept of designing a game around a controller (whatever that's mean to mean) is often useless too. It'd probably mean the game experience is nearly enough entirely about interactivity. Thinking in a way like "fun things to do in a game which this controller will allow" is okay though.

Another way to explain it would be: Let's say horror games weren't scary at all during the day (which isn't exactly true), and then all of the a sudden, Earth became cursed with globally eternal daylight, horror games will lose a lot of their appeal.

It was just my opinion of course.

In particular, what I mean is that when you start developing a game, rarely you begin to think at the controller. You first think at the story, the characters, the graphics and so on and then, at the end, you simply adapt the controller to the situation.
With the Wii this approach is not valid anymore, because you risk to have a game that doesn't fit well with the Wiimote or that is "forced" and has clumsy controls.

Instead, you should try to start with the controller in mind. Do you believe that Super Mario Galaxy has been build on the environments ? "So, let's make Mario fly around galaxies this time". I don't believe so. I think it is more likely that they have experimented with the controller first and then they use these ideas in the game.
The same for FPA like Metroid prime III. Why until now no Third Party hasn't made a good FPS game ? Because they have implemented the controller at the end, quickly and badly.
And the result is that Nintendo's games are still the best on the Wii. Wii Sports is a typical game where you build the game around the controller. For the same motivation, I think that in Smash the best controller configuration will be the Gamecube and not the Wiimote.

Zelda is a rare exception, because the result is wonderful even if the Wiimote has been implemented later (but this required an additional year !).

So, what I say is NOT that the controller has to be the enitre focus of a game, but that Third Parties should start to think differently. I know it is difficult, but the results will be far better.

Parl

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
It was just my opinion of course.

In particular, what I mean is that when you start developing a game, rarely you begin to think at the controller. You first think at the story, the characters, the graphics and so on and then, at the end, you simply adapt the controller to the situation.
With the Wii this approach is not valid anymore, because you risk to have a game that doesn't fit well with the Wiimote or that is "forced" and has clumsy controls.

Instead, you should try to start with the controller in mind. Do you believe that Super Mario Galaxy has been build on the environments ? "So, let's make Mario fly around galaxies this time". I don't believe so. I think it is more likely that they have experimented with the controller first and then they use these ideas in the game.
The same for FPA like Metroid prime III. Why until now no Third Party hasn't made a good FPS game ? Because they have implemented the controller at the end, quickly and badly.
And the result is that Nintendo's games are still the best on the Wii. Wii Sports is a typical game where you build the game around the controller. For the same motivation, I think that in Smash the best controller configuration will be the Gamecube and not the Wiimote.

Zelda is a rare exception, because the result is wonderful even if the Wiimote has been implemented later (but this required an additional year !).

So, what I say is NOT that the controller has to be the enitre focus of a game, but that Third Parties should start to think differently. I know it is difficult, but the results will be far better.

I mainly agree. In other words, shoe-horning is a load of tosh, and if one decides to make an iteration of a certain game series or genre on Wii, they need to change the game drastically, because the game will interact in a different way, whatever you're controlling will work in a different way, and the difficulty of the game will be affected, etc, etc, etc.

With Smash Bros, having a Wii version that still seems like Smash Bros, but takes the controller into account could be one where analog is to move around, but many of the attacks are done by flicking the Wii-mote in a certain direction and the buttons used for other stuff. The problem is that there'll be a delay because of the gesture. For this reason, I don't think there's many good ways to use gestures for interaction in some types of games, like fighting even if the way it works it changed a lot, because of the delays.

This is why I think a lot of games would benefit from having a good collision detection system and real replication of what you're doing with the Wiimote, with the on screen actions. Say, a game where you go around with a sword, if you lift your Wiimote, up, your character does at the same time. It isn't a gesture system, but works like the baseball bat moves in Wii Sports baseball. I imagine this being a difficult thing to pull off though.

The good thing about motion control is that it seems much more interactive to less hardcore gamers and it works better for them.

ethelred

farnham said:
Games designed for the controllers like wii sports are not good according to Inaba.. He wants games like Zelda, Godfather or RE 4 Wii edition..

Except in the next question he goes on to say that he doesn't really think those kinds of long games would be fun with the controller.

JJConrad said:
I remember ethelred dragging out that quote months ago. I can't believe he's still repeating it. Ethelred is stubbornly projecting his opinion into this quote taking everything out of context.

No, I'm not taking anything out of context (the interview's right there, quotes are being copied and pasted, and it's for all the world to see, context-intact), and nor am I projecting my own opinions onto it. Sorry, but Inaba is quite clear in his disregard for the controller -- you can choose to ignore that if you like in the hopes that he secretly lurves it, but that doesn't change things.

It's funny that you say I'm just projecting my opinion onto Inaba -- I think Inaba is wrong. I disagree with him. His opinion is not shared by me! But he's still entitled to it, and he's expressing it as clearly as he can within the context of being polite and not making any offensive Itagakesque remarks that could potentially burn him in the future.

JJConrad said:
Ethelred's stance gets weaker when in the next question Inaba says that if the Wii had exsisted at the time they would have considered using it for Okami.

Did you even read the entire answer? He says they would've had to think about it... and then he goes on to think it out, and he concludes that the idea of playing a long action-adventure/RPG game with the Wii controller doesn't sound very fun!

"It's something to think about" is a polite Japanese non-answer that can hardly be taken as anything -- he uses the exact same answer when asked if the team will use different structures ("There's a lot of thinking that has to be done"), whether they'll try new gameplay concepts ("It is something we want them to think about"). It means nothing. His statements that he doesn't think Okami would've been fun on the Wii and that you can't design a game for a controller are the remarks where any fair reader needs to place the weight. This subsequent news that he intends to make a big game and focus on multiplatform (IE, PS360) is only further confirmation of his stance.

But go on, keep believing that every developer all the world 'round really loves the Wii just because of how it's doing on NPD.

wsippel said:
That's Inaba, though. But Mikami has his own team/ studio, and he's free to develop for Wii. He's also working on a game together with Suda, and Suda only has Wii and DS projects in the works right now as far as we know...

Suda's also said he's got a 360 project, but you're right, fair enough -- while I think it's highly improbable we'll ever see Inaba or Kamiya on the Wii, there's a very good chance Mikami could develop something on it.

CaVaYeRo

cvxfreak said:

the original sensor bar had two removable leds, so you could attach them wherever. It'd have given more precision, I still can't get why it's a single bar nowadays.

And no motion, you only use the camera thing.

titiklabingapat said:
I read somewhere that you actually have to use the pointer on where you want to punch and do the waggle. It sounds really crappy. The visuals and art style is awesome though.

For what I've seen, they have three control modes: pointer (where to hit and "drawings"), WiiSports-like and Classic Controller.

I prayed for a Wii Sports evolved-enhanced system, but seeing those numbers... :( :( :_(

Omg :eek:

Tekken DR just became the best game on the PS3 imho. I absolutely LOVE the game on the PSP (even managed to be 6th on the world ranking ^^ but that didn't last long :p)

jarrod

Banned
drohne said:
('multiplatform' and 'no ps2' kind of rule out wii between them)...
PSP? :lol

ethelred said:
No, I'm not taking anything out of context (the interview's right there, quotes are being copied and pasted, and it's for all the world to see, context-intact), and nor am I projecting my own opinions onto it. Sorry, but Inaba is quite clear in his disregard for the controller -- you can choose to ignore that if you like in the hopes that he secretly lurves it, but that doesn't change things.
To be fair, a disregard for the wiimote isn't a disregard for the platform entirely.... Inaba's just saying game concept has to lead feature implementation, not the reverse. And in the same interview he warns against supporting struggling platforms, which certainly paints Wii in a better light than PS360 at the moment.

We all know Seeds first project is 360 bound though, and they might be getting some of that Microsoft cash infusion that's been going around. Or they might be getting startup funding from (ex-SEGA head) Nakayama, who also favors 360 (see also: cavia, Artoon, AQI, Feel Plus).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
jiji said:
Is there anything about Kikikaikai 2 in this issue? I need confirmation on somebody else's report that the game's been canned. >_<

no! those first shots looked really nice. maybe it's been moved to wii along with shin chuuka taisen. that'd be...slightly better than outright cancellation.

Dali

ram said:
you can play them on ps2 with two g-cons and even for less money...

This doesn't hold up as a legit reason not to port. People have already proven that they will eat reprocessed shit for dinner if it is Wiireleased.
Did I just coin that? I want a nickel every time someone uses it if so.

Top Bottom