• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's Famitsu news (June 13, 2007)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
tc4 with guncon 3, tekken dr online, strong likelihood that seeds is working on ps360 ('multiplatform' and 'no ps2' kind of rule out wii between them)...good japanese news for once!

icecream

Public Health Threat
No More Heroes! 10 Days :D

4lxyrfk.jpg

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
In that picture with the Guncon 3, I can't tell if that handle with the dualshock triggers is attached to the guncon or if it's separate. There are analog stick(s) in place of the thumbcon (dpad on the guncon2).

cvxfreak

188964302820070613085830.jpg

I like it.

EDIT: Defensor, the description says front grip and back grip. Definitely protrudes from the side. Iiiiinteresting, seems semi-inspired by the Wiimote/nunchuck.

angelfly

Father_Brain said:
Which Inaba comments are you referring to? Google doesn't turn anything like that up, that I can see.

This one

1up interview said:
1UP: What are you thinking now that we're at the next generation of consoles? What is of interest to you?

Inaba: So the team at Clover -- we all have the opinion that we first need to think of an interesting game and as we make that interesting game we look at what hardware is doing what and how it is developing and which hardware it should go to. If you put a game out on hardware that is not selling well, then you cannot expect it to sell well either. You have put the game on the hardware that best suits the game that you are making and that is the approach that we are going to take in the future.

1UP: That's true for the most part, but the Wii has changed things a little bit because it affords so many new gameplay possibilities. Are you thinking about sticking with more traditional game concepts or are you thinking about something that might take advantage of the Wii controller?

Inaba: I understand what you are saying, but I think that if you consider the Wii controller and you start making a game that takes advantage of the controller, then you might make a game that overuses that controller. I think making a game for a controller is a mistake. I think you make a game that is an interesting game and then if that controller makes the game more interesting then you implement those features. You don't make a "controller game" -- you make a game and then the controller makes it more interesting. I think a good example of this is The Eye of Judgement on the PS3. If you look at that game, it's about using a camera and cards and making monsters appear in your hand. That's not a game where they set out to say "oh we're going to make a camera game." It's a game that they probably had the idea for, thought about the abilities of the PS3 and then decided how to go about making that game a reality. That's the approach we want to take with our games in the future.

angelfly said:
I don't know for sure, but I'm going to guess he's probably wrong about Eye of Judgement. I'm guessing they had the camera, were looking for a cool way to use it, and augmented reality seemed like a cool way to showcase it. Thus, a card game was born that had augmented reality monsters.

wow, I like waking up on Wednesday and seeing this thread :)
I hope Famitsu stops being jackasses pulling my Famitsu-day to Friday...

Namco blowout this week! Tekken, Soul Calibur, Time Crisis...after these announcements, I wonder what are they going to do with the next 'Tales of' since their other franchises have gone X360/PS3 and Wii is getting a SC spinoff while they get SC4...with Sword of Legendia announced for Wii sounding (its name) like a spinoff-sequel and not like the real next Tales of, I really wonder :/

Oh, and I want to know what the hell is the New RPG for PS3 that Namco has on its website since many months ago :(

lupin23rd

It could be Trusty Bell, but then I also thought the shooter would be Ace Combat 6 port / 7 and it looks like it's TC4 instead.

Maybe they are keeping some stuff exclusive and others multi-platform.

Didn't Namco recently (or not so recently) register another 3 Tales of names? Maybe we'll hear more in the coming weeks.

m

farnham

Banned
If you put a game out on hardware that is not selling well, then you cannot expect it to sell well either.

- Inaba

I would actually interpret this phrase to a commitment to wii.. it is the best selling hardware right now by far (more then 360 and PS3 combined) and they need the money..

the second phrase seems to be more about game development in general...

I understand what you are saying, but I think that if you consider the Wii controller and you start making a game that takes advantage of the controller, then you might make a game that overuses that controller. I think making a game for a controller is a mistake. I think you make a game that is an interesting game and then if that controller makes the game more interesting then you implement those features. You don't make a "controller game" -- you make a game and then the controller makes it more interesting.

- Inaba

Games designed for the controllers like wii sports are not good according to Inaba.. He wants games like Zelda, Godfather or RE 4 Wii edition.. Games that can stand on their own but are improved by a great bit because of the wii mote

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
angelfly said:
I remember ethelred dragging out that quote months ago. I can't believe he's still repeating it. Ethelred is stubbornly projecting his opinion into this quote taking everything out of context. It originated long before the system was launched, with his belief that only games designed for the controller would be made and that the controller could not possibly make "traditional" gameplay better. But considering Inaba used a camera game as an example of the type of game he wanted to make there is way to logically conclude that he is not interesting in making a game for the Wii.

Ethelred's stance gets weaker when in the next question Inaba says that if the Wii had exsisted at the time they would have considered using it for Okami.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
farnham said:
^
Games designed for the controllers like wii sports are not good according to Inaba.. He wants games like Zelda, Godfather or RE 4 Wii edition.. Games that can stand on their own but are improved by a great bit because of the wii mote

Wii Sports games were not designed for the Wii mote. These are actual sports. They were selected because they fit the Wiimote best.

Yeah, I remember me thinking shooting game would be Ace Combat, rpg Trusty Bell and sports Love Football (seriously).

Now we know the shooting is Time Crisis, sports is probably Smash Court Tennis (I think it was listed in some retailers lists...) but the RPG is still unknown if it isn't Trusty Bell.

Ahh, Namco loves to tease me :(

PD: Yes, they registered Tales titles 2 times but they haven't announced a Tales event yet (it was in June last year) and I seriously doubt they are waiting for E3 to announce it. That would be like shooting in your foot with a bazooka. Nevermind...its Namco, I can see it happening.

farnham

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Wii Sports games were not designed for the Wii mote. These are actual sports. They were selected because they fit the Wiimote best.
well i think i read in the developer interview that wii sports was originally a tech demo..

they had this new controller and wanted to make games for it.. eventually they made several techdemos which are now sold in the form of wii sports and wii play..

in the case of wii sports, the pong game in wii play, the duck hunt game in wii play as well as pool in wii play i think you could say both.. they are existing ideas of games that were rewritten for the wiimote specifically..

games like cow racing, find the mii, pose the mii or the training stages in wii sports however are games that are designes for the wii mote

Given that GTA was pretty big in japan, and given the famitsu review, do you think Saint's Row is gonna be a sleeper hit? (360 sales wise) I'm sure shadowrun will sell a bit as games like graw, battlefield 1942, PFZ have "cult" followings on 360 there.

Also, man Folksoul is gonna rock. The game looks fantastic, maybe every party and genji sucked so incredibley much cause they put all their good into this.

farnham

Banned
btw according to a ruliweb guy.. Soulcalibur legends was shown in playable form and the director is actually the director of SC II...(dunno where the info came from though)

farnham said:
btw according to a ruliweb guy.. Soulcalibur legends was shown in playable form and the director is actually the director of SC II...(dunno where the info came from though)

Any possible impressions or stuff about it?

I think not every score was posted so (yeah I know they are Famitsu scores but completion sake and blablabla):

Itadaki Street DS (NDS, Square Enix): 9 / 9 / 9 / 9 - (36/40)
Saints Row (Xbox 360, THQ): 9 / 8 / 8 / 9 - (34/40)
FolksSoul: Ushinawareta Denshou (PS3, Sony): 8 / 9 / 8 / 8 - (33/40)
Smash Court Tennis 3 (PSP, Bandai Namco): 8 / 8 / 8 / 8 - (32/40)
Mana-Khemia: Gakuen no Renkinjutsu Shitachi (PS2, Gust): 8 / 8 / 8 / 7 - (31/40)
Shadowrun (Xbox 360, Microsoft): 7 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (28/40)
Hajime no Ippo Revolution (Wii, AQ Interactive): 6 / 7 / 6 / 6 - (25/40)
Growlanser VI: Precarious World (PS2, Atlus): 6 / 7 / 6 / 6 - (25/40)
Black Cat: Kuroneko no Concerto (NDS, Compile Heart): 6 / 6 / 6 / 6 - (24/40)
Hello Kitty no Gotouchi Collection: Koi no DokiDoki Trouble (NDS, Rocket Company): 6 / 5 / 7 / 6 - (24/40)
Sumomomomomo: Chijou Saikyou no Yome (PS2, Marvelous): 6 / 6 / 6 / 5 - (23/40)
Go! Go! Minon (Wii, Success): 5 / 6 / 6 / 5 - (22/40)
Def Jam: Icon (PS3/Xbox 360, EA): 5 / 7 / 5 / 4 - (21/40)
Simoun: Shoubi Sensou - Fuuin no Remersion (PS2, Marvelous): 5 / 5 / 5 / 4 - (19/40)
Ore no Shite Agake (PS2, D3): 4 / 5 / 5 / 4 - (18/40)

ram

Pazuzu said:
Actually it looks just like a little nub (antenna?).
I Hope
I said nub

i really hope, you are right - the age of annoying cables is behind us now!

ziran

Getting a bad feeling about SC Legends, it has the potential to be good, but I think it's going to be another Namco **** up.

Inaba: I understand what you are saying, but I think that if you consider the Wii controller and you start making a game that takes advantage of the controller, then you might make a game that overuses that controller. I think making a game for a controller is a mistake. I think you make a game that is an interesting game and then if that controller makes the game more interesting then you implement those features. You don't make a "controller game" -- you make a game and then the controller makes it more interesting. I think a good example of this is The Eye of Judgement on the PS3. If you look at that game, it's about using a camera and cards and making monsters appear in your hand. That's not a game where they set out to say "oh we're going to make a camera game." It's a game that they probably had the idea for, thought about the abilities of the PS3 and then decided how to go about making that game a reality. That's the approach we want to take with our games in the future.
I don't care what system Inaba develops for as long as he actually does make interesting games, which is something he struggles with imo.

See the whole SC fiasco wouldn't be an issue if the Wii was getting a proper SC fighting game designed from the ground up for the Wiimote, made by the proper SC team.

But no, the Wii is getting a shitty sounding spinoff from the same team that did Death by Degrees. Wii owners don't want SC 4, they want SC Wii, not Death by Degrees 2!

Trakdown

So, question- I've been under the impression that normal light guns (i.e. Guncon 1+2) don't work with HDTVs. 1)Is this true and if so, 2)how they did work around it with the GunCon3?

AniHawk

ziran said:
Getting a bad feeling about SC Legends, it has the potential to be good, but I think it's going to be another Namco **** up.

These are the guys that did Death by Degrees. The writing's on the ****ing wall. Virtua Fighter Quest part 2.

There were some quality moments in Death By Degrees.

I couldn't find any and I played through the game but hell I could have sworn there was a great moment in there somewhere and my gaming taste was just too shit to notice it.

Hmm...not liking the analog nub thing on the front. :(

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
That doesn't look very hot :\ Well I guess it does, but that's because it's painted hot orange.

I thought the little thing in front was gonna hang down, having it go to the side looks stupid.

cvxfreak

Oh god, two cameras for the GunCon 3?

I'm no tech whore (in the professional sense) so please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those cameras essentially equivalent to the sensor bar? Not exactly the same of course since I doubt the GunCon 3 is motion driven.

Top Bottom