• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Ixian

last night i saw kaskade and nghtmre at a festival.

nghtmre was fucking wild and i've literally been waiting years to see him since i've missed all his shows/sets in chicago.

kaskade was also amazing as usual. so much generic big room but i was high as hell so it was appreciated lmao.
Were you at Lollapalooza? I can't believe people there were trying to mosh pit at Kaskade. x_x One of them broke out into a fight, which was the second time I saw a mosh break out into a fight that weekend (probably would've seen more of that if we tried getting closer to the front of the stage for other artists but the crowd was so awful).

Were you at Lollapalooza? I can't believe people there were trying to mosh pit at Kaskade. x_x One of them broke out into a fight, which was the second time I saw a mosh break out into a fight that weekend (probably would've seen more of that if we tried getting closer to the front of the stage for other artists but the crowd was so awful).

Ugh.... The moshpits are getting cringey and Yellow Claw, some Hardstyle producers are trying to make it a thing..... Can we please not? I get it (no I don't lol) but fuck..... It just doesn't belong in EDM.

For a certain crowd at certain festivals, sure it makes sense, but for a general music festival? Nah. Shit will pop off and people will get hurt because of the idiots there to just party or start shit (which are few and far between).

Aomber

Ugh.... The moshpits are getting cringey and Yellow Claw, some Hardstyle producers are trying to make it a thing..... Can we please not? I get it (no I don't lol) but fuck..... It just doesn't belong in EDM.

For a certain crowd at certain festivals, sure it makes sense, but for a general music festival? Nah. Shit will pop off and people will get hurt because of the idiots there to just party or start shit (which are few and far between).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_GxsBmRK8g

Ashhong

Alright man, convert me. Can you list some psy that will convert me? The more melodic the better..

Lol. Shit I'm just discovering it myself thanks to the Hardstyle scene trying their hardest to push Psy Trance. What made me a fan? I think it was Audiofreq's track, Stampede.... which lead to Sub Zero Project's The Project..... then I started talking about it here, Aomber recommended Vini Vici, and now here I am just looking around to discover more Psy Trance. Then I also started listening to Angerfist and I'm also discovering the Hardcore scene currently.

If anything, Aomber should be the one to convert you, hah! He should know the more Melodic Psy Trance stuff imo.

Aomber

So, believe it or not I'm actually fairly happy about this release. There's not a ton to say here but it's pretty classic Avicii work, I don't think this is gonna convert anyone who didn't like Avicii before, but for what it is there's some good tunes in here.

My favorite song by far on the EP is What Would I Change It To. Really nice song that just takes full advantage of Aluna's silky vocals, this is definitely the one song I'll be listening to a lot from this body of work, I love it when Avicii does stuff like this - I wish he did more but I understand it doesn't fall much into the "Avicii sound", no big deal though. So Much Better is also nice, the vocals get a little shouty for my likings, but nothing that detracts too much from what's otherwise a really smooth track.
Major nitpick: the biggest problem with So Much Better is that the original vocal (since this is a remix) was not well recorded at all and there's some weird production artifacts that really do not translate well due to the pitch shift to give it the squeakier sound that Avicii presents, but most people aren't gonna notice that.
My favorite stuff from Avicii tends to be the songs that don't have his "Nexus Lead Synths", or if they are in there, they aren't too much at the forefront, and I think these songs represent why that's the case.

That being said, the first few songs aren't my favorite to be honest. The songs themselves aren't bad by any means but the hooks in Friend Of Mine and You Be Love both use that familiar Avicii sound, BUT the sound design reaches into some higher frequencies than he's historically used. It just doesn't quite rub me the right way, doesn't ruin the songs or anything but I think these could have been blended with the verses a little bit better. Lonely Together is better than I was expecting it to be, but yeah the hook here just falls flat for me, it just doesn't have the impact I was anticipating at all.

EDIT: I'm not 100% sure this is accurate, but from Rita's IG it looks like Benny Blanco and Cashmere Cat contributed production to Lonely Together. Good producers, but that explains why the hook sounds so goofy, I couldn't see how those producers would work too well with Avicii's sound.

Anyway it's solid. In some ways it's more developed and well crafted than previous works, but in other ways the music itself & sound selection aren't quite as on point as something like True. True for me still remains his best & most consistent body of work. Anyway this is more or less what I was expecting to think of the EP having heard the previews on his instagram. The one thing I will say is that I think a lot of people are going to say that it's safe - that wouldn't be an incorrect statement, but for a mainstream EDM artist, I'm okay with safe. I would argue that safe is better than what some other mainstream EDM artists consider "experimenting" and releasing garbage music just to cater to what's popular.

MIPBj0E.jpg

If anything, Aomber should be the one to convert you, hah! He should know the more Melodic Psy Trance stuff imo.
I like psytrance for what it is but I'm not super familiar with specific tracks. The only guys I'm familiar with for that stuff is Infected Mushroom

DMczaf

About to see Kaskade at Jewel on Saturday. Hyped!

And then it's Above and Beyond and Seven Lions in Denver next month!!

Ashhong

I'm conflicted because I hate Tritonal so much, but love Seven Lions.

Do you think he will have a solo tour after? I guess I could just show up after Tritonal is done.

Lol. Shit I'm just discovering it myself thanks to the Hardstyle scene trying their hardest to push Psy Trance. What made me a fan? I think it was Audiofreq's track, Stampede.... which lead to Sub Zero Project's The Project..... then I started talking about it here, Aomber recommended Vini Vici, and now here I am just looking around to discover more Psy Trance. Then I also started listening to Angerfist and I'm also discovering the Hardcore scene currently.

Cool I'll give it a try lol

Oh yeah. Cool no worries. I know as a Minnesotan that I should love the snow and winter, but come on man :'( I'm not Minnesotan enough to go out and enjoy the winter!

Does Tritonal usually play "Prog/Electro" House during their tours and their shows?

-

Ran-D - Zombie (Official Video Clip) it's a bit old now, but it's still such a good rendition of Zombie imo. It just sounds like Hardstyle. Not Euphoric, not Rawstyle, just Hardstyle.

D-Block & S-te-Fan - By Myself more Psy Trance influenced Hardstyle.

DJ Isaac - Burn (Sub Zero Project Remix) more Sub Zero Project. This time remixing another Hardstyle track and adding more of that Psy Trance/Goa Trance influences to the Hardstyle scene.

I've also followed a couple of Psy Trance podcasts. It sucks because they're both in a language I don't understand, lol, but I'm still enjoying them nonetheless.

Ashhong

YEAH, f-off tritonal. im lucky im seeing Seven lions with Above and Beyond here in Colorado come September. It's going to be a real treat!

True. I'm seeing him at ABGT250 back 2 back with Jason Ross...maybe I don't need to go to this show

Louis the Child on tour though! Presale in 2 minutes for me in LA

True. I'm seeing him at ABGT250 back 2 back with Jason Ross...maybe I don't need to go to this show

Louis the Child on tour though! Presale in 2 minutes for me in LA

ABGT is going to be so uplifting, im jelous!!!!

So the full lineup at Redrocks will be
Above & Beyond
Seven Lions
16 Bit Lolitas
Luttrell

And an after party show with Seven lions at a nearby theater. I was thinking about getting a ticket for the after party (till 2am lol) but idk!!!

anyone chime in on if they seen 16 bit or luttrell and how they are?

Ya know..... This has occured in my mind before, and on Reddit, but..... Bigroom is essentially Hardstyle but slowed down and without the kicks, screeches, and reverse bass 🤔 Very similar buildups/kicks and drops/climaxes. It's also a no-brainer now as to why many producers close a Mainstage set with Hardstyle since they're similar to each other.

Coone is basically the one DJ that mixes them well since he remixes alot of Bigroom songs 😕 His style is basically Bigroom/Hardstyle combined.

The in-between is co-opted by Junkie Kid and he calls it 'Hard House'. I'm sure he wasn't the first to the name though (checking wiki confirms that he didn't). Shouldn't even be called Hard House since his tracks barely pass the House part, lol. Should be called Hard Room or something :shrugs:

Hasn't been much news on the mainstream side of things lately. Hardwell released his second EP, Garrix releasing some songs...... Those two are probably the biggest things lately for the mainstream side of things imo.

Not much going on for Hardstyle either.... We are now at that usual lull for mainstream EDM? It's a bit hard right now to gauge what is popping off right now for the mainstream. Pop-EDM is in that place where "it's nice and fun, but what now?"

What's everybody been listening to? Going back to older tracks? Going back to your usual tracks? I'll admit that I haven't diverged much in terms of musical diversity. Still listening to the same folks, and the same genres. There just haven't been much, in terms of motivation for me, to listen to the latest albums. When I listen to music I need to be in the right mood to LISTEN to music, ya know?

I can't even begin to mention the smaller scene so I won't mention that at all.

I went back to listen to Yellow Claw's Blood For Mercy and Los Amsterdam. Decent bangers.

cdyhybrid

Right. I need to find the Techno podcasts myself. I have a couple from A&B and Armin, but nothing for Techno.

John Digweed - Transitions
Adam Beyer - Drumcode
Slam - Slam Radio
Nicole Moudaber - In the MOOD
Max Graham - Cycles Radio (not always techno, some progressive and even some trance sometimes)
Umek - Behind the Iron Curtain

mr stroke

John Digweed - Transitions
Adam Beyer - Drumcode
Slam - Slam Radio
Nicole Moudaber - In the MOOD
Max Graham - Cycles Radio (not always techno, some progressive and even some trance sometimes)
Umek - Behind the Iron Curtain

Add

+ Techno Live sets Podcast (great mix of live sets every week)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
ABGT is going to be so uplifting, im jelous!!!!

So the full lineup at Redrocks will be
Above & Beyond
Seven Lions
16 Bit Lolitas
Luttrell

And an after party show with Seven lions at a nearby theater. I was thinking about getting a ticket for the after party (till 2am lol) but idk!!!

anyone chime in on if they seen 16 bit or luttrell and how they are?

I've seen 16 Bit Lolitas and Luttrell at the Anjunadeep at Sea party a few weeks ago. I like 16BL's productions a whole lot, but his DJ set was mainly plodding tech house and tech prog. Luttrell did a B2B with Yotto and that was pretty enjoyable. Lots of big, bass heavy prog with some anthems sprinkled here and there.

Anybody going to Electric Zoo this year? I'm just finishing breakfast, then heading into the shower to go over there.

mr stroke

I've seen 16 Bit Lolitas and Luttrell at the Anjunadeep at Sea party a few weeks ago. I like 16BL's productions a whole lot, but his DJ set was mainly plodding tech house and tech prog. Luttrell did a B2B with Yotto and that was pretty enjoyable. Lots of big, bass heavy prog with some anthems sprinkled here and there.

Anybody going to Electric Zoo this year? I'm just finishing breakfast, then heading into the shower to go over there.

if you don't see Prydz vs Mau5 and Sasha & Digweed and post a review you will be banned

Top Bottom