• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

DMczaf

Went to see Illenium at Jewel in Vegas for his debut as a Hakksan Group headliner last night.

Pretty fun, pleasant surprise hearing so much trap and melodic dubstep together in a nightclub. haha

Next week is Porter Robinson! Yay!
I continue to hate myself for missing his EDC set this year...

I don't know how I never discovered JillBoard..... Caught the Calvin Harris Music Evolution, and that was pretty cool. Kind of enjoying it so far lol.

Edit: oh yeah..... I listened to that Hardwell EP. It's what you would expect: Bigroom, Electro House, and his Hardstyle track from last year. Is it enjoyable? If you're into those genres, sure, but I'm only really into Hardstyle and his track with Atmozfears was decent. There are a total of 5 tracks and it's decent imo. It's standard Hardwell. Are they bangers tho? Eh. Just eh.

Hardwell & Friends EP Volume 1 (Spotify Link)

Aomber

I'm just gonna leave this here.

1jTtliM.jpg

I was in Vegas last weekend. Stayed at the MGM.

Went to Hakkasan on Thursday night for Tiesto. Good opening DJ who got the room moving and then Tiesto played a set crammed full of dance hits. Club was really busy and full of energy. Love that place, such a pretty club. Partied, danced, and drank till 3:30am

On Saturday we went regular poolside at MGM and chilled out. Good poolside house DJ there with a nice mix of EDM, rock, R&B, etc.

Then we went to Omnia that night to check out Fergie and Zedd who both had good sets. Incredible space there. That chandelier is amazing the way it drops down and can change. Huge crammed room full of beautiful women.

Would have loved to have gone to Wet Republic but wasn't age or body confident enough.

If ever you go to Vegas and want to go clubbing buy the VIP bar cards online before the show. Women are about $115 and men are $150. It covers the cost of the ticket and you'll probably drink about $120 worth of booze anyway given drinks idle at $18 for singles. You also get in priority and don't have to wait in a long line. The staff also treats you better.

Ashhong

Went to see Illenium at Jewel in Vegas for his debut as a Hakksan Group headliner last night.

Pretty fun, pleasant surprise hearing so much trap and melodic dubstep together in a nightclub. haha

Next week is Porter Robinson! Yay!
I continue to hate myself for missing his EDC set this year...

Because illenium is the goddamn man!

New Avicii coming out next week too! Excite

Aomber

Steve Angello - Breaking Kind (feat. Paul Meany) (Official Audio)

Steve Angello - Rejoice (feat. T.D. Jakes) (Official Audio)

Yeah, these songs are way too edgy for me lol. The first track isn't terrible but it's just "there", sure it's got a nice electro bassline but it's executed so poorly into what's otherwise a dull song. Both the tracks sound straight out of some dramatic cheesy movie trailer, and what's with the really cringy 4 minute "motivational speech" in the second track? Can't say I was interested in this album in the first place, doubt I'll be checking it out if these are the debut tracks.

I get that 128 poppy house stuff isn't popular anymore but it feels like a lot of the EDM guys who were in a trend don't know how to get on their feet to do something new. I appreciate that he's gone and done his own thing, but I mean, this is cheesier than Imagine Dragons.

Anth0ny

I was in Vegas last weekend. Stayed at the MGM.

Went to Hakkasan on Thursday night for Tiesto. Good opening DJ who got the room moving and then Tiesto played a set crammed full of dance hits. Club was really busy and full of energy. Love that place, such a pretty club. Partied, danced, and drank till 3:30am

On Saturday we went regular poolside at MGM and chilled out. Good poolside house DJ there with a nice mix of EDM, rock, R&B, etc.

Then we went to Omnia that night to check out Fergie and Zedd who both had good sets. Incredible space there. That chandelier is amazing the way it drops down and can change. Huge crammed room full of beautiful women.

Would have loved to have gone to Wet Republic but wasn't age or body confident enough.

If ever you go to Vegas and want to go clubbing buy the VIP bar cards online before the show. Women are about $115 and men are $150. It covers the cost of the ticket and you'll probably drink about $120 worth of booze anyway given drinks idle at $18 for singles. You also get in priority and don't have to wait in a long line. The staff also treats you better.

Yeah Vegas is incredible if you're into electro house, it's like a god damn festival every weekend with the DJs on residence there.

Speaking of festivals, Veld is this weekend in Toronto. It's basically half EDM half hip hop at this point, but it should still be a fun time.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I gotta ask, Americans talk about 'EDM' lot, what do they mean by it, is it like, what we call dance music in Europe, or is it specific genres?

Also it's a tragedy that you have some really great DJs over there that get ignored, while importing mediocrity like Tiesto, Calvin Harris and Aviici.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I'm really happy and surprised at just how much Hardstyle was played at the Tomorrowland Mainstage along with some Psytrance. EU has their shit on lock. *cough*USA*cough*

We might be seeing the rise of Hardstyle and Psytrance erupt in EU, and it might trickle over to the US. Might.

Really shows the difference between the US scene and the EU scene, doesn't it?

To be fair, Europe has been ahead in dance music since Detroit House failed to make much impact in its homeland. I blame the Americans getting into MDMA decades later than us :p

TIL people still go to Ibiza, god I'm old, but is was immense in 1997 :p

Aomber

I gotta ask, Americans talk about 'EDM' lot, what do they mean by it, is it like, what we call dance music in Europe, or is it specific genres?

Also it's a tragedy that you have some really great DJs over there that get ignored, while importing mediocrity like Tiesto, Calvin Harris and Aviici.

So, technically EDM stands for "Electronic Dance Music", which you'd think would encompass all dance music, but most people you ask won't be thinking of it like that. Usually EDM is associated with basically the mainstream stuff – whatever's being played on the mainstage, on the radio, etc. It's become a really ambiguous term because people are still referring to the biggest Pop EDM producers as EDM, but it's a gray area as to whether any of the top artists are even making dance music anymore.

This thread is really non-specific though, we'll talk about anything here.

For me, yeah I use it as a term for nearly all Dance Music. But for a large majority it is used for Bigroom and what's popping right now. I often hear people talk about Trance or Techno like they don't fall under the EDM tree, hell even some folks don't want Hard Dance to be labeled under EDM because of the negative connotations associated with EDM.

Like Aomber said..... It's a gray area when the current sounds don't necessarily sound like Dance Music.

Haven't listened to my local radio station in a long, long while and I was surprised to hear some Bounce music. I had thought that it wasn't such a big and known genre, but if it's getting plays here in the Twin Cities then I guess I was wrong. It's also "The Party Zone" on a Friday night so that could explain why it's getting more play than usual.

Now..... How do I get them to play some Psytrance, Hardstyle, and Techno 🤔

Sai-kun

Banned
last night i saw kaskade and nghtmre at a festival.

nghtmre was fucking wild and i've literally been waiting years to see him since i've missed all his shows/sets in chicago.

kaskade was also amazing as usual. so much generic big room but i was high as hell so it was appreciated lmao.

Aomber

nghtmre was fucking wild and i've literally been waiting years to see him since i've missed all his shows/sets in chicago.

kaskade was also amazing as usual. so much generic big room but i was high as hell so it was appreciated lmao.

image.php

Ashhong

Man I feel the opposite of you. Nghtmre is trash to me. Generic ratchet music

When I saw Kaskade just last month he had a few generic big room but not too much. His own songs are rarely big room and are goddamn classics.

Though maybe Kaskade at a festival plays differently. I can't trust any artists festival set these days

Aomber

Veld after party is Deadmau5 and Diplo

fffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkk i gotta go

Oh man my buddy saw mau5 do an afterparty in TO one year and he did a 4 hour technomau5 set, best set he's ever seen

You DEFINITELY have to go, he treats Toronto well :D

for most of those you'd have more fun making a thread in the mainroom rather than this thread

Hot Chip, The Knife, Jamie XX, Calvin Harris, Thom Yorke, Cvrches, Passion Pit, MGMT

these are mainstream artists

lol. yeea, it's not the best list, but it gives you the general idea.

gaf also needs a synthwave thread

you may enjoy Public Service Broadcasting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHIo6qwJarI

I'm really liking this. good find 👍

Sai-kun

Banned
Man I feel the opposite of you. Nghtmre is trash to me. Generic ratchet music

When I saw Kaskade just last month he had a few generic big room but not too much. His own songs are rarely big room and are goddamn classics.

Though maybe Kaskade at a festival plays differently. I can't trust any artists festival set these days

oh hell yeah, it was ratchet but i fucking loved it haha. it was a really fun set.

and yes, it was at a festival so it was way more bigroom than he normally plays i'm sure. it was great to sing along to his classics though.

Anth0ny

jesus christ diplo is the ultimate crowd pleaser. dude went off at veld after party and the crowd was LOVING it. even after 2 long ass days of festival raving people were still going nuts. I somehow made my way to the front of the club and you can actually see me on diplo's snapchat right now. woooooo

joel came on at around 2am, and you can tell the crowd was totally spent from the diplo set so people began filing out. I stuck around and it was awesome. perfect way to wind down from the craziness of the weekend.

fun weekend!

Top Bottom