• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up with player counts in PC games?

KonradLaw

The games do sell. That’s not really what this thread is about. It’s about games having legs.

Which makes me wonder how stats for console CoDs are. Is there any way to track them? Do the populations mostly move to new entries on consoles?
I mean, on PC it's very irregular. Some die off, while some have really good legs. CoD2 has about as much players as Advanced Warfare for example. And Infinite Warfare gets beat by Modern Warfare 2-3, Black Ops II and III and ties with World at War

Another problem with BF1 and Titanfall 2 is that they are locked into Origin by EA. There is a substantial number of PC gamers who won't install a client other than Steam. How much that hurts player counts? Hard to tell, but Steam would definitely draw in more players to these games.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
in case of the EA games it might propably help ig they would be available to buy. Either sell them on steam or dont, but then dont expect me to buy it from some niche client noone asked for (origin).

Actual

Personally, I prefer playing on consoles because I'm too slow with a mouse to compete in shooters, even though I have a gaming PC that makes games look and perform better than my PS4 Pro.

Herne

None of my friends bought Battlefield 1 and I wasn't having fun with it, so back to Battlefield 4 I went (stupid naming conventions) instead. There's probably just so much choice out there that the traditionally "big" games on consoles just don't compete for very long on pc. Mount & Blade Warband still sees 10K players every day despite running on a thirteen year-old (and older) engine that was designed by one guy and his wife and not having had any updates in years.

MUnited83

For you.
If it has great games and is a good client, people will come there eventually. Just look at Battle.net.
Eh, Battlenet is far from a good client. All this damn time and it doesn't even have proper worldwide friends list on the client yet. Battle.net games sell despite the client : they sell because the games are made by Blizzard and Blizzard makes huge great games, that usually are updated for years on end and continue to have support. Meanwhile EA doesn't give much of a shit. They just move on to the next blockbuster and ignore the older one.

DragonNC

No DEDICATED SERVERS = NO PLAYERBASE , easy as that .
That's why COD , Battlefield & rest of the crap console ports don't work on PC.

PC game selection is indeed varied, but player distribution seems very clustered and not spread. It looks like a small number of services are taking the majority of the players (such as PUBG, LoL, WoT, etc), see the dropoff from CS:GO to TF2:
yIoAlCT.jpg

My gut feeling after being a pc gamer for 25 years is:
Th Top 100 of pc games are a lower % of the total than the Top 100 of console games. That's what I wanted to say before. There are many more small games played.

Top Bottom