• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ's bankruptcy sale details: Auction on January 22nd, Will Allow Piecemeal Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

BD1

Banned
I guess I didn't even consider that the publishers could bid as a consortium to get ahead of Clearlake and then dived the IP among themselves at a later date.

Waaghals

If only Nintendo would focus on the west and buy some of these IPs..
Failing that ( incredibly unlikely) option, I think a lot of THQ's franchises would fit Ubisoft well.

A platform holder buying THQ would be the least desirable outcome.
Firstly the studios and franchises would be platform exclusive, which would deprive many gamers of access to the games.

And secondly they would be stuck with whatever console or platform the buying company is currently pushing, warts an all.

Pooya

I'm curious about what happens to Turtle Rock's game, Evolved, the most. The IP is owned by THQ as it was described in the document but the studio is independent. If someone buys the IP rights then Turtle Rock is forced to work for that company and their terms which might be different than what THQ offered or the said company can buy out whatever work done so far and give it to one of their own studios or the title might not be picked up at all if it's in very early stages or uninteresting to the parties involved and considering the studio isn't tied like the other THQ IPs. I imagine 'developer of L4D' has some pull though, it will be interesting where this one ends up.

Glass Rebel

I'm curious about what happens to Turtle Rock's game, Evovled, the most. The IP is owned by THQ as it was described in the document but the studio is independent. If someone buys the IP rights then Turtle Rock is forced to work for that company and their terms which might be different than what THQ offered or the said company can buy out whatever work done so far and give it to one of their own studios or the title might not be picked up at all if it's in very early stages or uninteresting to the parties involved and considering the studio isn't tied like the other THQ IPs. I imagine 'developer of L4D' has some pull though, it will be interesting where this one ends up.

That's the name? I thought it was 'Wild', don't remember where I read it though.

Derrick01

Banned
I care about two things:

1. South Park: Stick of Truth being released as intended, Steamworks on PC.
2. Relic being able to continue doing PC only Steamworks enabled strategy titles

Any hope for either? :\

Hard to say what will happen if EA or Ubi buys South Park. I would hope it's so far along they don't have time to take it off steam or anything.

From Article: "What this means is that anybody offering more for the whole of the company can take THQ from the cushy speed agreement made between company executives and Clearlake. If those bids exceed Clearlake's total (and Saints Row is definitely getting any player most of the way there) that's it for THQ."

Clearlake can always increase it's bid. $60.5 million feels low, which is part of the reason the situation is the way it is... Not sure what their ceiling is, of course.

Stewox

Banned
Somekind of fund could be set up for Relic to get them spun off to independence. Employees could be encouraged to contribute and they would have split up ownership afterward.

Darksiders would fit with nintendo, but this is just my 2cent, i never played it so its not expert opinion

Green Yoshi

Nintendo, wake up and buy Darksiders + Vigil Games.

This.

I think that ZeniMax/Bethesda will buy South Park and Ubisoft will buy Darksiders and Company of Heroes 2.

Metro: Last Light could become an exclusive launch title for the new Xbox.

Nintendo is not going to buy a studio only to have all the talent leave to join the inevitable new start ups from studio heads that form after this is all over.

They sure as hell are not going to buy an IP that they can't immediately capitalize on with a team ready to go. That is not how they make games.

That said, how crazy would it be if they did! Omg!

evangd007

Nintendo, wake up and buy Darksiders + Vigil Games.

Although Vigil is local to Retro, Nintendo already has a Zelda clone. It's called Zelda.

Volition is the better target for Nintendo as they make up for their deficiencies better. While the Bayonetta 2-esque response would be entertaining if such a thing were to occur, I don't think that Nintendo will bother paying a lot of money for only the IP rights and whatever skeleton crew would remain after the rest of the team immediately tendered their resignation post-sale. The only reason why the Monolith deal went down is because Nintendo more or less asked them, "If we bought you, would you all work for us?" and the answer was yes. Plus NoA doesn't have the kind of autonomy required to throw the kind of money around that would be necessary to make such a sale.

This.

I think that ZeniMax/Bethesda will buy South Park and Ubisoft will buy Darksiders and Company of Heroes 2.

Metro: Last Light could become an exclusive launch title for the new Xbox.
I think there's some bad blood between Obsidian and Bethesda. I don't see this happening.

duckroll

Ignoring the THQ auction, you just caused me to realize Bethesda has enough money to buy Obsidian just to close them down if they wanted.

No they don't. Obsidian is a private company. How would they buy then just to close them down? Who would agree to it? It's just a silly conclusion to make.

No they don't. Obsidian is a private company. How would they buy then just to close them down? Who would agree to it? It's just a silly conclusion to make.

Yes, I know they're a private company. Probably shouldn't have said something that stupid. I should go to sleep.

Dawg

Hilarious comments. Oh no, EA, please don't save THQ games that we want. Please, oh please just let them die!

2327032-video-game-memes-papea-kills-off-developers_super.jpg

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The auction is still on for tomorrow, right? Haven't heard any news since the last update.

farnham

Banned
A platform holder buying THQ would be the least desirable outcome.
Firstly the studios and franchises would be platform exclusive, which would deprive many gamers of access to the games.

And secondly they would be stuck with whatever console or platform the buying company is currently pushing, warts an all.

On the otherhand.nintendo quality control is very good and those devs could work on nintendo ip too

farnham

Banned
Although Vigil is local to Retro, Nintendo already has a Zelda clone. It's called Zelda.

Volition is the better target for Nintendo as they make up for their deficiencies better. While the Bayonetta 2-esque response would be entertaining if such a thing were to occur, I don't think that Nintendo will bother paying a lot of money for only the IP rights and whatever skeleton crew would remain after the rest of the team immediately tendered their resignation post-sale. The only reason why the Monolith deal went down is because Nintendo more or less asked them, "If we bought you, would you all work for us?" and the answer was yes. Plus NoA doesn't have the kind of autonomy required to throw the kind of money around that would be necessary to make such a sale.

If anyone would do it it would be someone from noj although i doubt nintendo has a m&a department
Nintendo is not going to buy a studio only to have all the talent leave to join the inevitable new start ups from studio heads that form after this is all over.

They sure as hell are not going to buy an IP that they can't immediately capitalize on with a team ready to go. That is not how they make games.

That said, how crazy would it be if they did! Omg!

There are clear advantages to stay with nintendo if the option is to stay or to go indie

Don't let Nintendo anywhere near the auction. I want to see THQ games on next gen consoles, hopefully running at a better framerate than SR3 ran at.

Moonlight

Banned
You honestly think that Nintendo would be at all interested in literally any intellectual property or studio that THQ owns?

They make all kinds of bad decisions. So yeah, I wouldn't put it past them.
What's the use of owning an IP without talent, many great games series died because they were mismanaged look at Rare or Hudson, I think Nintendo knows that if they aquired an IP like SaintsRaw per say without proper talent to support and handle this IP then there're better off saving that money for something useful.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What's the use of owning an IP without talent, many great games series died because they were mismanaged look at Rare or Hudson, I think Nintendo knows that if they aquired an IP like SaintsRaw per say without proper talent to support and handle this IP then there're better off saving that money for something useful.

Saints Row seems to have done just fine without "proper talent". It's not a series that's the beloved brainchild of a particular person or tight-knit team, such as Amy Hennig with Uncharted or the Houser brothers with GTA. The only two THQ IPs I'd be wary of falling into unrelated hands are Darksiders (which is dead anyway) and Company of Heroes.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They've already said repeatedly all games currently in production will be completed on schedule. No fear!

Even if THQ did fall through on South Park, Viacom is funding the project, IIRC, so it's just a matter of finding another publisher with a retail distribution network (e.g. EA; specifically EA Partners).

Moonlight

Banned
They make all kinds of bad decisions. So yeah, I wouldn't put it past them.
They make very specific kinds of bad decisions. They're a very safe company with a safe business model that wouldn't be at all comfortable with investing in a financial corpse. Especially a western one.

Very interested to see where the WWE license ends up. I'll hope for EA. Only other product I really care about is the South Park RPG and that should still release on schedule in March right?

pants

Very interested to see where the WWE license ends up. I'll hope for EA. Only other product I really care about is the South Park RPG and that should still release on schedule in March right?
I can see WWE making/buying their own studio :I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom