• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ's bankruptcy sale details: Auction on January 22nd, Will Allow Piecemeal Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The OP has been updated with more information:

Distressed Debt said:
After adjourning its first hearing today, THQ reconvened at 3:00PM and announced that a compromised was made among various parties. A form of order has yet to be presented but the general takeaways:

Bids are due 9am January 22nd
Auction will be held 3pm on January 22nd
Sale Hearing January 23rd at 9am
The auction will allow for bidders to bid on only certain assets (titles, studios, etc) in the auction

Other details from the hearing concerned the minimum overbid which was reduced as well as the extension of Clearlake Capital's DIP term loan to January 25th (as an over-advance line).

In the morning hearing, it was announced that Clearlake Capital's bid would remove the $10M 2% note they originally had offered in exchange for extending the auction deadline.
One thing to note: It remains to be seen how much secured debt (and for that matter assumed liabilities) will there actually be on the auction date. It was noted in the hearing this morning the company has begun the "slow pay" its bills which would alleviate need for cash but in theory increased assumed liabilities to a purchaser. As has been noted in the hearing, Clearlake can pick and choose which liabilities its assuming, but their counsel did note that it would be a more concrete number (to determine overbids) at the auction.

Currently bonds are trading in the 15-16 context. I had heard from traders on Friday that bonds were difficult to find (the issue is only $100M) but some bonds have traded this morning.

For bondholders, the only recovery (under Clearlake's stalking horse bids) they were going to receive was the $10M promissory note which seems to have been pulled away. If any of the parties involved (so far EA, Warner Brothers have been named in court) bid for all or just some of the titles, there is a chance bond holders could see a recovery here. Exact bid procedures have yet to be filed so I do not have a good assessment on how bids will be evaluated.

For instance, what happens if two studios are purchased for an aggregate consideration more than Clearlake's bid but the remaining studios need to be wound down? That may actually drain resources from the estate for wind down expenses.

For what its worth, when I first saw Clearlake's bid I wanted to be an LP in their fund because they would make a fortune off their purchase price. Given the way cash flows will begin to pick up (and possibly roll in if they are successful, not to mention cash already overseas) at THQI after their two releases in the first half of this year, with which a lot of developmental costs have been already spent, the return to Clearlake would have been impressive.

A few questions remain: Where are the massive swings in potential unsecured liabilities (from the first day affidavit) from Europe arising from? No one has given me a good answer on that. Why hasn't bond holders (or strategics for that matter) stepped up with their own DIP?

As we get more answers, we will update readers, especially after new items hit the docket.
Source: http://www.distressed-debt-investing.com/2013/01/distressed-debt-thq-bankruptcy-update.html

Busty

Banned
Nintendo published Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge just a few months ago.

I had forgotten about that. You are correct but it still doesn't change my mind that Nitnendo buying the Saints Row IP would just never happen.

I can't understand what the upside for them would be apart from Nintendo having the IP bragging rights for a few months.

wsippel

Banned
But why should they when that is the area that their competitors are providing for that particular audience.

Nintendo have their specific market all to themselves. Why ruin this good thing they have going on?
Because that image only exists in your head. Nintendo produced and published one of the bloodiest games last gen with Reginleiv. They published Razor's Edge and produce Bayonetta 2. And don't forget the infamous vibrator scene in Captain Rainbow. Or the "cannibalism" thing in Pandora's Tower. Or whatever twisted shit the Fire Emblem guys come up with on a regular basis.

ElfArmy177

Am I the only one who thinks these games will only be MADE if EA buys them?

everyone hates on EA so much but they make some of my favorite games. Its sad that without them, most of them would never be made.

EA is the only one that will take a chance with the IP's. I also believe EA us the only choice that gives saints row a chance to be made. Noone else is gonna spend the money to fund it because... They don't have it.

then again, if a new saint row fails ea will absorb the IP and fire the dev... So there is that...

DocStar

Neo Member
Is that it? A Conker game ten years is the sole precedent set for Nintendo possibly being open to publishing more 'mature' titles?!

But why should they when that is the area that their competitors are providing for that particular audience.

Nintendo have their specific market all to themselves. Why ruin this good thing they have going on?

That's like saying, why should BMW make a sportive car when Mercedes Benz and Audi cater to that audience.

If they want to broaden their audience - especially by acquiring hardcore gamers off of Microsoft or Sony - such deals as seen with Bayonetta 2, NG3: Razors Edge and even some not yet announced titels would be needed!

It's sad to see THQ go out like this I just hope whoever ends up getting their IP's treats them well and just doesn't burying them. I'd also like to see Red Faction make a comeback.

AFAIK THQ published in Europe because Nintendo of Europe didn't want to touch it with a bargepole. Nintendo of America did release the game, and then proceeded to acknowledge its existence.

IIRC, the official reason was that it was deemed prohibitively expensive to localize it into multiple languages, and an English-only release conflicted with NOE policies.

Is that it? A Conker game ten years is the sole precedent set for Nintendo possibly being open to publishing more 'mature' titles?!

As others have pointed out it is far from the sole precedent, it was just the most obvious example (considering MS censored a product that Nintendo didn't), & it was more to show exactly how out of date your thinking is( & before you ask I don't think Nintendo will be interested in anything at this auction, but its not because it doesn't fit their image).

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Warner brothers seems like the best bet. Hopefully they grab South Park, and Saints Row. I wouldn't want any of the Big three grabbing anything either.

ezekial45

Banned
Is it a package deal when it comes to IP and their respective developer? I'm worried that an IP like SR/Red Faction will land at one publisher, while Volition will go to another.

I disagree: Activision would be worse, in my opinion (although we're basically comparing Satan with Lucifer here).

I think I'd still take Activision, imo they are at least fairly up front about being a comic book villian parody but EA is in denial about it.

Busty

Banned
Warner brothers seems like the best bet. Hopefully they grab South Park, and Saints Row. I wouldn't want any of the Big three grabbing anything either.

I doubt that WB would want to publish a Viacom IP. If any title is up for grabs to be published by EA I'd have thought it was the South Park game.

sangreal

I doubt that WB would want to publish a Viacom IP. If any title is up for grabs to be published by EA I'd have thought it was the South Park game.

I doubt WB cares about that. See: South Park the movie. The studios mix things up all the time

Busty

Banned
I doubt WB cares about that. See: South Park the movie. The studios mix things up all the time

Nope. WB once co-owned Comedy Central and at that time had a share in the IP. IIRC WB and Paramount couldn't agree who would distribute the South Park film (which they were co-financing) so it actually came down to two envelopes to settle it.

One had the US rights to the South Park movie and the other the International rights. Two executives from the media giants picked an envelope each. Paramount got US. WB got Int.

Ridiculous I know but true. Comedy Central and the South Park are now wholly owned by Viacom.

Radix

Neo Member
So will studios like Relic still have money to run normally until auction? This isn't looking good for CoH2 and the beta that was set to release in the middle of the month.

sleepykyo

Five companies are interested in evaluating THQ's assets for purchase, but Clearlake doesn't want to let them do it piecemeal. The judge doesn't seem too favorable to the sentiment.
Metro and Darksiders to WB. And Saint's Row to EA please. If Clearlake loses.

If EA acquires Saints Row/Volition, I'll slit my wrists.

What could be so bad about EA getting ~

Just imagine, Saints Row going through focus groups to appeal to teens. SR4 will be a military shooter where the saints have to take out terrorist groups in the middle east.

It'll be amazing!

Really? Aren't you supposed to be the glass is half full type?

Fine Darksiders and Saint's Row to WB and Metro to EA.

AHA-Lambda

For what its worth, when I first saw Clearlake's bid I wanted to be an LP in their fund because they would make a fortune off their purchase price. Given the way cash flows will begin to pick up (and possibly roll in if they are successful, not to mention cash already overseas) at THQI after their two releases in the first half of this year, with which a lot of developmental costs have been already spent, the return to Clearlake would have been impressive.

I assume this refers to Metro and CoH2, what about South Park? Wasn't that still expected for release in the first half of the year?

Are Crytek still working on Homefront 2? If so, it wouldn't surprise me if they buy the IP to shop around to other publishers. This is assuming that they think the game they're making is going to be pretty good.

Stewox

Banned
Omg

We need to make a campaign to get somebody to get Relic and Coh off EA hands.

We must act now to avoid what could be the PC gaming sacrilege of 2013, a disaster.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Am I the only one who thinks these games will only be MADE if EA buys them?

everyone hates on EA so much but they make some of my favorite games. Its sad that without them, most of them would never be made.

EA is the only one that will take a chance with the IP's. I also believe EA us the only choice that gives saints row a chance to be made. Noone else is gonna spend the money to fund it because... They don't have it.

then again, if a new saint row fails ea will absorb the IP and fire the dev... So there is that...
EA is probably still jelly of how Rockstar is so successful with Grand Theft Auto. They tried open world games with The Godfather, but that didn't work. If they can get Saints Row, and Volition, they could build on the franchises' reputation and take it places.

Also, dildo smacking.

Loxley

I'd actually be totally fine with Warner Bros. Interactive acquiring Darksiders and Saints Row. They seem to be one of the few publishers out there that people don't seem to have too big of an issue with, unlike EA, Ubi, Actvision, and Bethesda.

Saints Row is probably going to be the one IP that everyone guns for though.

Big-E

Who has the Freespace ip? Interplay? For some reason I thought Volition had it but it is not on the list.

sleepykyo

I was joking.

Oh. In that case back to hoping EA gets it. Though I still imagine that it'll get dialed down from the Third.

WB already has Batman for an open world game. Bethseda rpgs are already open world. Ubisoft has AC. And so and so, so it is just EA where Sab and so forth didn't cut it.

chixdiggit

Damn, I remember when THQ made nothing but the worst of the worst movie licensed games. They turn it around and can't make a go of it... sad. I just really hope EA doesn't end up with any of it.

Derrick01

Banned
Five companies are interested in evaluating THQ's assets for purchase, but Clearlake doesn't want to let them do it piecemeal. The judge doesn't seem too favorable to the sentiment.

Metro and Darksiders to WB. And Saint's Row to EA please. If Clearlake loses.

What could be so bad about EA getting ~

Really? Aren't you supposed to be the glass is half full type?

Fine Darksiders and Saint's Row to WB and Metro to EA.

EA would turn Metro into another Call of Duty clone, or take the developers and turn them into a medal of honor or off year battlefield studio.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
EA would turn Metro into another Call of Duty clone, or take the developers and turn them into a medal of honor or off year battlefield studio.

And that's a very optimist take, it could be a lot worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom