• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ's bankruptcy sale details: Auction on January 22nd, Will Allow Piecemeal Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get this sentiment, but Relics RTS games would make a good addition to EAs roster. They currently lack a starcraft / activision competitor, and Relic would be great to provide that imho.

I don't want to assume that EA will ruin every franchise they ever own.

Have you read the C&C preview thread? EA has turned it into a StarCraft clone in terms of gameplay mechanics.

DocStar

Neo Member
pretty much, WB wont shit on the IPs and studios we love like EA or Ubi.

Another one who would be in a pretty good position - at least for an acquisition of Relic - might be SquareEnix. I don't think that they are interested in a IP like Saints Row. They got their own Open-World-IP which is here to stay. Please god, get Volition and Saints Row a good home.

On another note, how serious could someone of the big 3 could get involved in an acquisition at this stage?

Nintendo - i think - is completely out / the THQ IPs simply don't cater to their audiance.
Microsoft - Darksiders as their modern / adult take on Zelda or Saints Row (but that would alienate their relations to Rockstar i guess?!)
Sony - Darksiders and Saints Row as mentioned above?

Saty

Is it common to live stream these auctions? lol. I'd like to see what happens when the host will go 'and now we move to Homeworld'.

I will say again that Destroy All Humans! will be a good purchase by Nintendo or anyone making touch controlled\ asynchronous games and wanting to appeal to a broader market. DAH! had colorful gfx and sense of humor.

A top-down WiiU game like that where you control the UFO's tractor beam on the gamepad is pretty much a no-brainer and there a lot of two-screen or single screen touch potential.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
NOT EA... not EA... anything but EA please....

this is what I'm saying,EA will just destroy the hell out of the entire thing,they already running most of their ips into the ground

yearly Saints Rows that just copy GTA and throw away everything that made it unique
yearly Darksiders that copy God of War, because GOW sells.
yearly Red Faction that copy Call of Duty but on Mars,because that how EA work.

all on a client that you don't even want to install on your PC.

EA buying THQ or any of its studios or games will be the worst thing ever.

DocSeuss

Is it common to live stream these auctions? lol. I'd like to see what happens when the host will go 'and now we move to Homeworld'.

I will say again that Destroy All Humans! will be a good purchase by Nintendo or anyone making touch controlled\ asynchronous games and wanting to appeal to a broader market. DAH! had colorful gfx and sense of humor.

A top-down WiiU game like that where you control the UFO's tractor beam on the gamepad is pretty much a no-brainer and there a lot of two-screen or single screen touch potential.

I want both Homeworld and Impossible Creatures. I will have two thousand dollars when financial aid hits and would honestly bid, even though there's no way in hell that'd actually get me the IPs.

dubq

Same here, as long as EA isn't in charge. Bring back Aki!

Aki is a developer. EA is a publisher.

Anyway. It wouldn't shock me if WWE just went the self-published route. WWE has the media empire and the capital to become their own game publisher. They already do it for films with WWE Studios. I could see them holding onto Yukes as the developer, as there is already a relationship there, and just publishing it themselves.

DocStar

Neo Member
this is what I'm saying,EA will just destroy the hell out of the entire thing,they already running most of their ips into the ground

yearly Saints Rows that just copy GTA and throw away everything that made it unique
yearly Darksiders that copy God of War, because GOW sells.
yearly Red Faction that copy Call of Duty but on Mars,because that how EA work.

all on a client that you don't even want to install on your PC.

EA buying THQ or any of its studios or games will be the worst thing ever.

AND EVERYTHING WILL BE DEVELOPED BY:

- Bioware Volition / Saints Row
- Bioware Vigil / Darksiders
- Bioware Volition Team Mars / Red Faction

yay, slap Bioware on it and it will sell ...

I HOPE NOT! :(

DocStar

Neo Member
Aki is a developer. EA is a publisher.

Anyway. It wouldn't shock me if WWE just went the self-published route. WWE has the media empire and the capital to become their own game publisher. They already do it for films with WWE Studios. I could see them holding onto Yukes as the developer, as there is already a relationship there, and just publishing it themselves.

You might be onto something. Wouldn't be such a bad idea. Do the WWE games generally sell well?

Busty

Banned
Am I the only thinking that EA can outbid anyone and so they're getting whatever they want?

Sight unseen I'd have thought Time Warner would be easily be able to outbid EA.

I've said it before but Time Warner never pay 'sticker price' for anything and will go after any acquisition they see as a bargain.

In saying that I don't see WB wanting the WWE or South Park licensed games or the Homefront sequel so perhaps EA will get those and Warners will hover up all the IPs and studios.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
you forgot about Clearlake Capital..

Clearlake wanted to do this in a manner that would net them significant upside, hence the incredibly dubious looking plan that got denied by the court.

I'm not sure they would still be interested with the much more long term (and potentially much larger monetary sum) kind of viewpoints a game publisher is going to take when viewing these assets.

DocStar

Neo Member
I'm hoping for a megaton Nintendo swoop in and purchase Saints Row :)

That is something, some members have already mentioned. Despite the fact that I - currently - could not imagine a Saints Row on a Nintendo plattform, I wouldn't be terribly surprised by this because it probably would take Nintendo more monies to get Rockstar porting GTA V or heck - even a slightly gimped version of GTA VI onto WiiU.

Saints Row could be their crazy take at the open world genre :)

JoshHood

I'm intrigued about who would pick up Homefront.

EA already has Battlefield and Medal of Honor (despite the state of the latter), as well as stuff like Crysis and Army of Two. Activision obviously has Call of Duty and now Destiny. Ubisoft doesn't really have a staple shooter series, but they have the Tom Clancy games, and Rainbow Six Patriots looks to be in some ways thematically similar to Homefront. Microsoft of course have Halo and Gears, Sony have Killzone and I don't know that they necessarily would want or need another FPS franchise.

The only one really left is Warner (or someone like Bethesda or Square I guess). Then again, EA could see it as a stronger series to alternate with Battlefield than Medal of Honor, and they'd still have the best part of two years before it would need to be ready in that scenario, plus, as others have said, they already have that working relationship with Crytek (assuming they stay on as developer).

Busty

Banned
That is something, some members have already mentioned. Despite the fact that I - currently - could not imagine a Saints Row on a Nintendo plattform, I wouldn't be terribly surprised by this because it probably would take Nintendo more monies to get Rockstar porting GTA V or heck - even a slightly gimped version of GTA VI onto WiiU.

Saints Row could be their crazy take at the open world genre :)

Which is why it would be a good idea for them to buy it to diversify their lineup. Either them or Square imo.

But Nintendo have an image to maintain. It would be like Disney buying up Saints Row and releasing it alongside Epic Mickey.

Why would Nintendo make a rod for their own back like that. Try and get it published on the WiiU certainly. But buy, develop and publish it themselves?

Never. Going. To. Happen.

I'm intrigued about who would pick up Homefront.

EA already has Battlefield and Medal of Honor (despite the state of the latter), as well as stuff like Crysis and Army of Two. Activision obviously has Call of Duty and now Destiny. Ubisoft doesn't really have a staple shooter series, but they have the Tom Clancy games, and Rainbow Six Patriots looks to be in some ways thematically similar to Homefront. Microsoft of course have Halo and Gears, Sony have Killzone and I don't know that they necessarily would want or need another FPS franchise.

The only one really left is Warner (or someone like Bethesda or Square I guess). Then again, EA could see it as a stronger series to alternate with Battlefield than Medal of Honor, and they'd still have the best part of two years before it would need to be ready in that scenario, plus, as others have said, they already have that working relationship with Crytek (assuming they stay on as developer).

I have a feeling that the Homefront IP in it's current form may be too much of a 'hot potato' for a company like WB/Time Warner. The whole United Korea invading the USA angle wouldn't really fly with a global media company that is trying to expand into Asia in a big way.

Clearlake wanted to do this in a manner that would net them significant upside, hence the incredibly dubious looking plan that got denied by the court.

I'm not sure they would still be interested with the much more long term (and potentially much larger monetary sum) kind of viewpoints a game publisher is going to take when viewing these assets.

If they bid for Volition/Relic and the Saints Row/COH IP don't they get the profits of the latest game yet to be released? and on top of that is DLC which would get them at least a majority of what was spent..

Clearlake Capital portfolio is pretty huge.. $2.7 billion capital in business services, communication, consumer products/retail, defense/public safety, energy/power, healthcare, industrials, media, and technology so i think that they could be a serious threat if they are participating in the auction

someone on must know more about this.. lol someone call Michael Pachter

DocStar

Neo Member
If they bid for Volition/Relic and the Saints Row/COH IP don't they get the profits of the latest game yet to be released? and on top of that is DLC which would get them at least a majority of what was spent..

Clearlake Capital portfolio is pretty huge.. $2.7 billion in investments in business services, communication, consumer products/retail, defense/public safety, energy/power, healthcare, industrials, media, and technology so i think that they could be a serious threat if they are participating in the auction

someone on must know more about this.. lol someone call Michael Pachter

Someone get the Pach in here. We need infos, NOW! :)

But Nintendo have an image to maintain. It would be like Disney buying up Saints Row and releasing it alongside Epic Mickey.

Why would Nintendo make a rod for their own back like that. Try and get it published on the WiiU certainly. But buy, develop and publish it themselves?

They published Conker over a decade ago, why does this line of thinking still exist?

DocStar

Neo Member

But isn't Bayonetta 2 also a huge departure for their "image"? Also what is their "image"?
Yeah, some still say - Nintendo is a kids machine etc. but shouldn't they strive for something more? Something more hardcore oriented?

But we'll see. In the end, everything would be better than EA or Activision buying any of THQs assets. Maybe Ubisoft will buy UDraw ... would be a good fit.

UDraw, developed by Ubisoft - ENHANCED for UPlay. lol

wsippel

Banned
Also, Nintendo should get the Vigil team to come over and work on Zelda or something.
God no!

Also, they don't need the studio. They can simply continue hiring former Vigil guys, which is something they already do for some time. They have a studio in the vicinitiy after all.

wsippel

Banned

This isn't the 90ies anymore. Nintendo stopped giving a shit about their "family friendly image" a long time ago.

And by the way: Disney did Starship Troopers and Pulp Fiction. ;)

Busty

Banned
They published Conker over a decade ago, why does this line of thinking still exist?

Is that it? A Conker game ten years is the sole precedent set for Nintendo possibly being open to publishing more 'mature' titles?!

But isn't Bayonetta 2 also a huge departure for their "image"? Also what is their "image"?
Yeah, some still say - Nintendo is a kids machine etc. but shouldn't they strive for something more? Something more hardcore oriented?

But why should they when that is the area that their competitors are providing for that particular audience.

Nintendo have their specific market all to themselves. Why ruin this good thing they have going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom