• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ's bankruptcy sale details: Auction on January 22nd, Will Allow Piecemeal Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

And once again everyone wants Nintendo to buy THQ. What are you people smoking?

Nintendo wouldn't know what to do with Relic, Volition doesn't fit with Nintendo's image as a company and they don't need Vigil because they already have Zelda as an IP.

Dawg

Maybe Rockstar will buy Saints Row and then proceed to not do anything with it.

"heh, so much for competition"

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I wonder what sort of interest THQ's back catalog of dormant IP will bring. I'm specifically interested to see who picks up the Destroy All Humans IP.

Quentyn

What about the games that are obviously in production, but haven't been shown? I mean, they'll have to show Saint's Row 4 to bidders, right?

Yea, they will have to show them to potential bidders. EA at least, has already visited multiple studios.

Interfectum

I wonder what sort of interest THQ's back catalog of dormant IP will bring. I'm specifically interested to see who picks up the Destroy All Humans IP.

Destroy All Humans IP comes with the ALF Blu-ray Special Edition just to sweeten the deal.

AHA-Lambda

Take 2 or even Activision would be my personal choices...EA and Ubi would just take a fat dump on any of these IP's with their bullshit DRM.....

2641935_o.gif

Maybe Rockstar will buy Saints Row and then proceed to not do anything with it.

"heh, so much for competition"

Could that be considered against anti-competitive practices?

Then again we have EA with 99% of all sports franchises under it's belt >_>

This is bad right? The old deal was shady as shit, but at least it meant that THQ got to keep the lights on. With this, IP will just go to the highest bidder. Am I being cynical thinking that most of the employees at THQ studios will get fired or laid off once the bidding is over? EA or Warner might want the Saints Row IP, but do you really think their corporate bean counters will care about the employees at THQ's studios? Pretty much everything will live on in name only or am I being too negative?

Interfectum

This is bad right? The old deal was shady as shit, but at least it meant that THQ got to keep the lights on. With this, IP will just go to the highest bidder. Am I being cynical thinking that most of the employees at THQ studios will get fired or laid off once the bidding is over? EA or Warner might want the Saints Row IP, but do you really think their corporate bean counters will care about the employees at THQ's studios? Pretty much everything will live on in name only or am I being too negative?

I think most are hoping the publishers bring the talent with the IP. I mean, Saints Row as an IP is worthless IMO. It's the developers that made it what it is.

Twinduct

Well fuck ... really hope relic gets sold to a decent company ... or just break off and kickstarter Homeworld 3! Who owns the license? Activision?

Recall

I'm optimistic with a change coming to the WWE games. It is about time really, I think they've drilled their style of it into the ground. But to be fair I can't see EA doing anything drastic with it either.

JustinBB7

Oh god EA, leave them alone. I'm not gonna buy anything that's Origin only. Leave South Park/Metro/Saints Row alone please please please.

Proelite

Valve
Relic
Valve
Relic
Valve
Relic

I don't care if Company of Heroes takes 4 years to make because of Valve. Knowing Valve, they'll probably green light Homeworld.

Relic RTSes exclusively on Steambox / Steam. Perfect sense.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm optimistic with a change coming to the WWE games. It is about time really, I think they've drilled their style of it into the ground. But to be fair I can't see EA doing anything drastic with it either.

Same here, as long as EA isn't in charge. Bring back Aki!

Acosta

My prayers go to Relic... please, land in a good home (and the buyer better get the rights to Homeworld in the pack).

EA has an AWFUL track managing PC darlings, I hope they stay the fuck away from them even if I know they are the most realistic option. Sega would be nice because I think they have been good to CA, but I guess they have no money. Ubi would use them to grunt work for other games. Square Enix would be ok I think because they would let them do what they normally do (AND WE WOULD GET HOMEWORLD 3 WITH VISUAL WORKS CGI OMG!). Dunno, really worried.

Chris Roberts should buy Volition to make them work in Star Citizen :)

All the best for the workers, hope they land on their feet from this mess.

So piecemeal purchases basically confirms THQ death unless clearlake buys all of it?

THQ, as we know it, is over. If Clearlake buys it all, as was the original plan, it's a new prviate company (that could be called THQ, if they wanted). As far as I've understood, this is the best option there is if you want to see the games continue and upcoming / unannounced games see any light of day.

AHA-Lambda

So, if no one buys all of THQ, there will be no THQ after Jan 22nd?

Correct but no one is going to do that.

Personally, the only publishers I'd trust with this would be Warner Bros, Square-Enix and Bethesda. MAYBE Ubisoft.

M.D

THQ, as we know it, is over. If Clearlake buys it all, as was the original plan, it's a new prviate company (that could be called THQ, if they wanted). As far as I've understood, this is the best option there is if you want to see the games continue and upcoming / unannounced games see any light of day.

What happens if no one is interested in one of the studios or IP's ? I guess that's highly unlikely, but it would be interesting if no one put a bid for one of their assets

Who said there not going to use Yukes again? Yukes is probaly working on the next game.

Yukes has it in them to make great wrestling games, they just need better guidance. I'm just guessing here but aren't Yukes just following THQs direction when it comes to the WWE games?

If the Warhammer 40K license automatically goes back to Games Workshop due to THQ's bankruptcy, for there to be any more 40K games from Relic someone would have to first buy Relic, then want to go after the 40K license. Fuck!

EA Better not buy this. . . I hate EA they tick me off. . . . Activision better not buy it either. . . I agree valve or Clearlake is the only right answer for this.

It really doesn't make sense, 2K already have GTA, Mafia and L.A. Noire.

What? GTA is Grand Theft Auto right? Rock Star owns GTA and L.A. Noire. Not sure about Mafia.

Hey You

It really doesn't make sense, 2K already have GTA, Mafia and L.A. Noire.
Yeah, but then They wouldn't have to worry about competing against each other. They would do their own thing GTA more serious driven, SR over the top silliness/fun. Technically 2K has Mafia and R* has GTA and LA. Take Two would get profits from both franchises instead of just GTA.

I don't see a problem with Mafia and GTA being owned by the same parent company.

Heck even SR by a R* studio wouldn't be a huge deal. I'm sure some want to work on a less serious GTA game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom