• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Major full-fledged" Assassin's Creed Sequel Confirmed for 2012

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
gdt5016 said:
You know, lets say the ACs are 30 hour games. Is it really that big a deal if you spend a 30 hour chunk on the same franchise every 365 days?

The games keep getting better, so it's not really milkage in the way we've come to know it.

This is the truth, as long as the games stay consistently good I am more than happy for a dosage of AC every year.

TheExodu5

Banned
DennisK4 said:
And they are. A whole year.

:|

Well, at least Brotherhood has been fantastic from what I've played so far. I fully expect to get burnt out on the series, but I'll get around to each game at some point...

ghostmind

Here's how I see it:

Assassin's Creed 3 in late 2012 to cap off the series as it has been, and then a break in 2013 while the new consoles are releasing, and then either a new storyline in late 2014 or something completely different then.

iNvid02

LiK said:
That was a comment by an art director and he has no power.

aren't ubi in the gutter and need to release annually because they need the moolah?

i dont think they will voluntarily stop the annual releases, until an assassin's creed game
is received horribly that is. if people are buying and enjoying it and reviews are good, great
actually then they'll just keep on pumping em out.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Those of you skipping Brotherhood and Revelations just a note, you are missing some major story that is leading up to AC3. Be sure to read up on it.

I would suggest playing them all though, each one seems to be better than the last. I for one am fine playing a new AC game every year.

It really kind of annoys me when people say "The games keep getting better" as a reason that annualizing the series is fine.

That's entirely a matter of opinion. I didn't think Brotherhood was better than 2 except in the same way that a week old burger was better with ketchup. I mean, yeah, extra stuff, woo. But it was still better when it was fresh.

ShockingAlberto said:
It really kind of annoys me when people say "The games keep getting better" as a reason that annualizing the series is fine.

That's entirely a matter of opinion. I didn't think Brotherhood was better than 2 except in the same way that a week old burger was better with ketchup. I mean, yeah, extra stuff, woo. But it was still better when it was fresh.
And I think it's annoying when people want the series to take a break when I have enjoyed each entry more than the last

Trick_GSF said:
So shocked my penis nearly fell off.
Laughed.

But yeah, it sucks. Yearly Assassin's Creed. Right with call of duty and FIFA.

If the quality is good, whatever. I don't care. I loved 2 and brotherhood, but I'm not buying revelations because of the other flood of games this last weeks and future weeks.

Peff

ShockingAlberto said:

Definitely. The extra stuff being better is also debatable (chain-takedowns is a horrendous solution to boring combat and the Assassin's Guild was super shallow).

LiK

iNvidious01 said:
aren't ubi in the gutter and need to release annually because they need the moolah?

i dont think they will voluntarily stop the annual releases, until an assassin's creed game
is received horribly that is. if people are buying and enjoying it and reviews are good, great
actually then they'll just keep on pumping em out.
So far every main AC game on the consoles has been excellent so I'm fine with more. I think Ubi is probably getting more money from the Just Dance series which looks like less effort to make.

Like the hat? said:
And I think it's annoying when people want the series to take a break when I have enjoyed each entry more than the last

Wouldn't have enjoyed them more if they had one more year of dev time to improve over the previous game? Look at what they did between AC -> AC2

DaBuddaDa

Net_Wrecker said:
Wouldn't have enjoyed them more if they had one more year of dev time to improve over the previous game? Look at what they did between AC -> AC2
You can still get that if you go AC2 -> Revelations, except now you have a tasty nugget called Brohood in the middle too.

ultron87

Net_Wrecker said:

That's theoretically what some main element of their team has been doing since 2 (or at least Brotherhood) came out. They have a ton of people working on this franchise, so there is almost assuredly a group that has been working on AC3 for quite a long time.

ShockingAlberto said:

Ugh

Ketchup is disgusting

ultron87 said:
That's theoretically what some main element of their team has been doing since 2 (or at least Brotherhood) came out. They have a ton of people working on this franchise, so there is almost assuredly a group that has been working on AC3 for quite a long time.

Let's hope so or else AC3 will just be AC2 Ver. 4.0.

sangreal said:
Interesting. I've considered all of them full-fledged. Made a huge mistake skipping brotherhood at first thinking it wasn't, actually.

Well all of them have been reusing the same engine from Assassins Creed 1. Animation, physics, assets etc..

I guess the new game will be built from the ground up taking advantages of the new technology from the years since.

Net_Wrecker said:
Maybe taking a year between each would have led to slightly better quality but if that was the case I'd only be playing my 3rd AC next week instead of my fourth

I love the idea of a 12-12-12 release, especially since its essentially about the end of the world. Fits in quite nicely to the real world culture of believing in 2012 nonsense. These games keep getting better and better, so I have no issue with an AC3 next year. Bring it.

Mest30

Banned
I, for one, don't care about the yearly releases. Can't wait for the one next week and will buy 3 next year, too. As long as I enjoy the game, I will continue to buy.

Sai-kun

Banned
It's only milking if the quality of the games goes down with every new one. That's...not the case with AC, so bring on the sequels :)

I love the games. Got distracted and a little burnt out on Brotherhood (although that's my fault since I went on a collectathon and I'm not a collector - just loved the environment) but am looking forward to revelations, probably follow the story missions more-so than the side missions this round.

I don't know why people are saying they're milking it. Every game has been an improvement on the previous. Plus, besides multiplayer, the games are about 30 hours or so. So it's like 11 months in between playing them for a majority of people.

More good games is good. Especially if the story develops in a good manner. I'm excited for Revelations because it ends a certain time period and characters.

Sai-kun said:
It's only milking if the quality of the games goes down with every new one. That's...not the case with AC, so bring on the sequels :)

Pretty much.

guek

Banned
wii u exclusive

lol

Well, they did say the wii U AC game wouldn't be revelations so this is probably it (multi-plat of course)

ultron87 said:

2+ years per game. Undoubtedly a year or two more on AC3 since they need to essentially rebuild the brand with another main historical character and iconic setting. (Would definitely be cool to play as some of the other hero candidates as suggested in AC2).

We might normally need to wait a few years per game but Montreal is basically doing in-house outsourcing to Singapore, possibly Annecy...I can't remember the whole list but they're all in the credits. It's a ton of people but it gets the job done and seems to work as well as IW/Treyarch worked for Activision.

solarus

I kind of wish they would have held out for the next-gen of consoles for AC3 (which I'm guessing this must be) but I guess this will have to do.

Ceebs

I am fine for more AC, but for the love of god do not listen to all the people who think there should be MORE Desmond sections. Keep the focus on the past, not the nonsensical present day stuff.

DrXym

English civil war, war with the Dutch, the restoration, Oliver Cromwell, Samuel Pepys, Isaac Newton etc. The game would practically write itself.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
solarus said:
I kind of wish they would have held out for the next-gen of consoles for AC3 (which I'm guessing this must be) but I guess this will have to do.

As much as I would like to agree, the prospect of timeline parallelism between real life and the Assassin's Creed lore is too enticing.

Milking this series doesn't concern me too much when the games have, so far, all been excellent. Was expecting at least one year between Revelations and the start of a new chapter though.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Yenrot said:
5 in 5 years?

2007 Assassin's Creed ( PC/PS3/360)
2008 Assassin's Creed: Altaïr's Chronicles (Android/DS)
2008 Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines (PSP)
2009 Assassin's Creed II (PC/PS3/360 )
2009 Assassin's Creed II: Discovery ( DS/iOS)
2010 Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (PC/PS3/360)
2011 Assassin's Creed: Revelations (PC/PS3/360)

Peff said:
Definitely. The extra stuff being better is also debatable (chain-takedowns is a horrendous solution to boring combat and the Assassin's Guild was super shallow).

It's the exact same combat system as Batman with a different control scheme. You have counters, attacks, stun moves and gadgets, all of which can be used at any time, and you can attack any enemy from any direction by selecting them.

And the Assassin's Guild WAS shallow, which is why it's much deeper in Revelations, as elaborated on in the OP. But you guys hate extra stuff and improvements, so that wouldn't interest you.

Ceebs said:
I am fine for more AC, but for the love of god do not listen to all the people who think there should be MORE Desmond sections. Keep the focus on the past, not the nonsensical present day stuff.

The Desmond sections are no more 'nonsensical' than the history storylines. They all deal with with the same pesudo-scientific subject matter and conspiracy theories.

And the main trilogy IS Desmond's story, so I'd be willing to be the last third of AC3, if not more, would center around Desmond.

Wilbur

Banned
I'd like it if they maybe had like, 2 or 3 hours in loads of different locations; like Desmond has to rush through different ancestors in the Animus to find clues, as opposed to spending ages in one.

Top Bottom