• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Major full-fledged" Assassin's Creed Sequel Confirmed for 2012

Midou

gdt5016 said:
You know, lets say the ACs are 30 hour games. Is it really that big a deal if you spend a 30 hour chunk on the same franchise every 365 days?

The games keep getting better, so it's not really milkage in the way we've come to know it.

This is my logic, I fucking love AC2 and brotherhood was more of the same, if I could play one yearly release, I'd rather have it be Assassins Creed than some shooter franchise.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Totobeni said:
It's just that some people like them, some people got tired of them same as Call of Duty.
Call of Duty is the same shit over and over again with a shorter and shorter campaign that serves at its only differentiating factor. AC series are basically completely new locations and stories for 30 hours with a multiplayer mode that is basically going to end up the same every year.

3 better finish off the Desmond storyline. The series has an almost Lost-esque story/mystery aspect to it, I'm fine with more titles but I hope they wrap up the existing main things before running it into the ground.

They should make one that takes place in the 1940s in which the ancestor is an infantryman, let's say one who participated in all of the most important battles of World War II. In the interim between then and the Renaissance, the Assassins have substituted their hidden blades for "regular guns" due to pragmatism beating out the romance of a now-less-useful hidden blade. The Assassin can still do parkour, but finds that standing on a top of a building usually gets his head asploded by a German sniper. Also get rid of the third person view, first person is more immersive.

Call me Ubi.

Irish

Assassin's Creed III is what is coming in 2012. The devs have been saying this for a while now. The planned break will be coming after that, in order to rev up a large next-gen title.

Parts of the motherfucking gigantic AC team have been working on it since before ACII was released.

webrunner said:
Please be jack the ripper please be jack the ripper please be jack the ripper

What part of "Assassins Creed" lends itself to the player taking the role of a serial killer?

Conciliator said:
They should make one that takes place in the 1940s in which the ancestor is an infantryman, let's say one who participated in all of the most important battles of World War II. In the interim between then and the Renaissance, the Assassins have substituted their hidden blades for "regular guns" due to pragmatism beating out the romance of a now-less-useful hidden blade. The Assassin can still do parkour, but finds that standing on a top of a building usually gets his head asploded by a German sniper. Also get rid of the third person view, first person is more immersive.

Call me Ubi.

Um, no thanks to "The Saboteur Part Deux"

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Irish said:
Assassin's Creed III is what is coming in 2012. The devs have been saying this for a while now. The planned break will be coming after that, in order to rev up a large next-gen title.

Parts of the motherfucking gigantic AC team have been working on it since before ACII was released.

Pretty much.

2007 Assassin's Creed
2009 Assassin's Creed II
2010 Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
2011 Assassin's Creed: Revelations
2012 Assassin's Creed III

I could see AC IV releasing next gen and a break after AC III. They'll need time to get to grips with the new hardware and they'll want to give the consoles time to grow a user base.

I kind of hope Assassin's Creed III is single player only.

Let the major, numbered, entries be entirely single player focused and give multi-player modes to the non-numbered games.

If that even makes sense.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
milk.jpg

+

shaking+baby.gif

Turns Into

Milk-Shake.jpeg

Which is like this series:

assassins-creed-logo.jpg

Delicious!... So Far!, but the Milk might be going bad soon =/

Quick

Banned
I had my doubts with Brotherhood, being so closely released after II, and the same with Revelations now, but Brotherhood was an excellent game with a solid story.

Bring on Assassin's Creed III.

Would be weird/cool if all this time, Desmond is being controlled by another subject using the Animus. Whoever the subject is is reliving Desmond reliving Altair/Ezio's timeline. That's some Inception kind of shit, man.

Troidal

Not a fan of Ezio or the setting so I've basically skipped everything since ACII.

Finally glad to see it move away from that.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
From what I heard (and my usual contacts are *very* quiet about this one), AC3 will have a brand new engine that a rather big team at Montreal has been working on since a bit before AC2 was released. I assume (my opinion, I know no details at all) it will be an engine like Frostbite 2 that's created for high-end PC and next-gen consoles in mind, and scaled down for the rest of this generation.
I still think the engine powering the current AC games (Anvil) is still up there with the best engines of this generation, so the prospect of something even better is quite interesting, to say the least :)

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Blimblim said:
From what I heard (and my usual contacts are *very* quiet about this one), AC3 will have a brand new engine that a rather big team at Montreal has been working on since a bit before AC2 was released. I assume (my opinion, I know no details at all) it will be an engine like Frostbite 2 that's created for high-end PC and next-gen consoles in mind, and scaled down for the rest of this generation.
I still think the engine powering the current AC games (Anvil) is still up there with the best engines of this generation, so the prospect of something even better is quite interesting, to say the least :)

Sounds great if true. Having these engines crafted ready for "next gen" will probably make game development a lot more cheaper than it once was, when developers entered the high definition era with this current generation. I just hope having these engines ready for use make development for new IPs less of a risk due to production cost on team sizes, etc.

Brotherhood showed that Ubisoft can throw enough resources at these games that such an short dev cycle isn't an negative so I'm down for another AC next year if it lives upo to the quality of Brotherhood/Revelations. My only negative is that it's diverting resources for an Prince of Persia (2008) sequel, I wished that they'd been able to alternate the two franchises but the people spoke when they ignored the last two games :(

Acheteedo

I enjoyed Brotherhood a lot... but my interest in new AC games is waning, these annual releases are going to burn out what could have been a long living franchise.

Sai

Dang, Ubi. Let us come up for air. :p

Since it's 2012, it must be AC3.

I'm actually kind of hoping for a revamp centered around Desmond for the third installment.

BroHuffman said:
Didn't we already have confirmation of AC3 2012 a while ago?

No no, they added another yearly ep (after next year's, so one more before 3) in Spring. They are play testing a way to use the parkour animations on threes because they are game designing the American Civil War to go along the French Revolution for 3.

Dreaver

I don't get the hate for 'milking the franchise'. The series has been improving a lot with every new entry. New Mechanics every game are a nice improvement. Story-wise it's getting way better as well (the endings are getting more epic by every game). Ezio was quite a dumb character at the start of Assassins Creed 2. He looks pretty badass in the new Revelations.

I do have to admit I am a bit sick of Ezio and Italy. I'd love to see England or France as a next entry.

Edit:
I do think/hope (like others said) they will take a break from Assassins Creed after 3 until 2014 ~ for next gen.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
ZombieFred said:
Sounds great if true. Having these engines crafted ready for "next gen" will probably make game development a lot more cheaper than it once was
I wouldn't hold my breath for that - the costs in content-driven games of this scale is already biased towards making tech only a small fraction of the total.

For that reason too, it's usually the new IPs where implementing tech-rewrites is more viable as well (no massive teams to retrain on a deadline).

spend some more time on the game ffs, Brotherhood was buggier than the previous ones... had to restart the game 2-3 times because a mission or section of a mission just wouldn't trigger. and there was some other jank too.

you're churning them out too fast Ubi.

Sai

astroturfing said:
spend some more time on the game ffs, Brotherhood was buggier than the previous ones... had to restart the game 2-3 times because a mission or section of a mission just wouldn't trigger. and there was some other jank too.

I played Brotherhood a ton, and I've never experienced anything like this. Seemed to be the most polished of the three, to me.

I did have a few issues with AC2 though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
astroturfing said:

AC3 isn't going to be pumped out in a year. The reason Brotherhood and Revelations can be done in such a short time is because they have a mountain of reusable assets across the previous entries. The same resources don't exist for a game that will presumably feature an entirely new setting with an entirely new Animus protagonist.

I imagine AC3 has been in "pre-production" since AC2.

Dreaver said:
I don't get the hate for 'milking the franchise'. The series has been improving a lot with every new entry. New Mechanics every game are a nice improvement. Story-wise it's getting way better as well (the endings are getting more epic by every game). Ezio was quite a dumb character at the start of Assassins Creed 2. He looks pretty badass in the new Revelations.

I do have to admit I am a bit sick of Ezio and Italy. I'd love to see England or France as a next entry.

Edit:
I do think/hope (like others said) they will take a break from Assassins Creed after 3 until 2014 ~ for next gen.
You haven't seen much on Revelations have you?
It takes place in Turkey.

-Stranger-

Wow i can't keep up, i only just finished Assassins Creed 2 earlier this year.
I have Brotherhood still sitting on my shelf, and two more sequels coming out.

I think AC3 should be the last game.

Dreaver

thewesker said:
You haven't seen much on Revelations have you?
It takes place in Turkey.
Ezio is still italien. I also loved the Italien cities in 2 & Brotherhood but I am done with Italy.

-Stranger-

Really this new game would be Assassins Creed 5, i don't understand how Brotherhood & Revelations aren't ''true sequels''

That's crap

Ithil

Khezu said:
Skipped brotherhood and will skip Rev, will buy the true sequel next year.

Nothing against either of the AC2 expansion games, I just don't want to burn myself out on the series.
Be prepared to be lost plotwise, as Desmond's story continues in both games, not just Ezio's.

Ithil

-Stranger- said:
Really this new game would be Assassins Creed 5, i don't understand how Brotherhood & Revelations aren't ''true sequels''

That's crap
Because they didn't move to a new time period, with a new Assassin, they continued Ezio's story instead, while mildly advancing the main plot with Desmond.

-Stranger-

Yeah i see, so Revelations will Assassins Creed 2.8

Anyway I'm going to have to start Brotherhood soon as the ending to AC2 was pretty crazy.

red731

I can't wait and don't care if they are putting game after game year after year.
They have so many studios all over the world that they can pull quality stuff yearly.

I am having fun and great time with all AC games, I like how I can follow the story of Ezio from his birth to his...end? I will get Revelations in a week so I can finaly find out!

Must...track...down...master...assassin...and...his...secrets! ALTAIR!!

El-Suave

No complaints here either - every single AC game was a great single player experience that has been varied and interesting enough to warrant a full game.

Even the multiplayer can be fun although I don't use it personally.

Monarch

Banned
AC III, to my knowledge, has been in production for more than 2 years and just like blimblim said, it uses a new engine. I don't know the specifics of said engine though.

This makes no sense to me. Since Revelations is suppose to be the last Ezio/Altair game...how the hell is Ubisoft making a brand new game with presumably a brand new protagonist/era/city?

There just isn't enough time in the space of a year to do that? Unless they've had one of their other studios quality working on a new entry all this time...

Ithil

Criminal Upper said:
This makes no sense to me. Since Revelations is suppose to be the last Ezio/Altair game...how the hell is Ubisoft making a brand new game with presumably a brand new protagonist/era/city?

There just isn't enough time in the space of a year to do that? Unless they've had one of their other studios quality working on a new entry all this time...
I'm very much doubting they are planning to just start it after Revelations is gold.

They've presumably been working on it in the background since AC2 was done.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Criminal Upper said:

Ubisoft's Montreal studio is *huge*, they have a team working on the ACB/ACR games (many of them from the PoP 2008 team, more than likely), and another working on AC3 for a long time. Now that ACR is done, they will more than likely be merged into one huge team, along with the 5 other Ubisoft studios now working on the AC franchise.

Ithil said:
Because they didn't move to a new time period, with a new Assassin, they continued Ezio's story instead, while mildly advancing the main plot with Desmond.
Ithil said:
Be prepared to be lost plotwise, as Desmond's story continues in both games, not just Ezio's.
Lol, sorry but you kind of contradicted yourself.

But I agree with both - it didnt move time periods so its not a true sequel. But it did advance Desmonds story line so it actually is. I just contradicted myself as well. Shit.

Smo21

Blimblim said:
Ubisoft's Montreal studio is *huge*, they have a team working on the ACB/ACR games (many of them from the PoP 2008 team, more than likely), and another working on AC3 for a long time. Now that ACR is done, they will more than likely be merged into one huge team, along with the 5 other Ubisoft studios now working on the AC franchise.

True. Wasn't the AC:B team like 300+? Im gonna assume AC3 is gonna be enormous. Ubi basically does troll math and instead of having 100 people take 2-3 years that just multiply

LiquidMetal14 said:
I hate to sound like a hater but yea. If some gaffers on the Steam chat remember, we talked about this a day or two ago.

THIS DOES NOT NEED TO BE A YEARLY FRANCHISE. Give it a rest for a year, damn.
It was easy to keep it yearly with AC2, ACB and ACR because they were sticking with the same established characters, time period and rough setting. It strikes me as odd that they are releasing a "full" sequel in a single year development time (unless they've been working on it for the past two years as well).

All the same, the people decrying it as milking need to fuck right off. Nobody was bitch about Uncharted "milking" its series with 3 games that are virtually identical in story, characters and gameplay structure. At least AC's story and characters progress, living out their lives and doing things that matter. At least AC's story wasn't blanketly ripped off from an Indiana Jones movie.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Ubi needs these games to come out as quickly as they are due to the plot begging to have a game out for the Mayan calendar date.

It's too bad that each game has gotten progressively glitchier as the dev time got shorter from one to the next. Brotherhood was a glitchy mess and the one+ year dev time really showed. Hopefully AC3 will be playable, at this rate.

Top Bottom