• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action |OT| Do Androids Drink To Electric Beats?

Kvik

Totally forgot this will be released tomorrow! Great OT title.

And for a total immersion purposes, whenever that "Drink" button pops up or flashing on screen, I will take a sip of my alcoholic beverage of choice as well in real life.

Let's hope I won't end up in an alcohol coma.

ar4757

Preordered it around a year ago, the demo/prologue totally sold me on it, as did the soundtrack. I forgot it was coming out tomorrow - so excited!

Milijango

This game doesn't show up in steam if you just type 'Valhalla". You actually need to type "VA-11" or "VA11". That seems like a bad thing.

But yes, this looks like a day one to me. Which is tomorrow.

Steel

Banned
This game doesn't show up in steam if you just type 'Valhalla". You actually need to type "VA-11" or "VA11". That seems like a bad thing.

But yes, this looks like a day one to me. Which is tomorrow.

It shows up for cyberpunk, though. Steam's search system is too literal.

pariah164

... And it won't run in full screen. What fresh hell is this? Like, the graphics freeze, but the audio keeps going. I can hear my cursor move around as well. It snaps back to normal once I get it back to windowed mode.

This is not a good start.

pariah164

VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action |OT| The Only Good Game To Come Out This Week
QONVIyz.gif

Ohhh man. It's so true.

Must admit, the game wasn't really on my radar but there was a fair bit of promotion for this on r/vita and now it's something I'm very much looking forward to, can't wait for the Vita port.

I'm guessing there's a decent chance of a LRG release too given the chatter that's been happening on Twitter lately? :p

Moonlight

Banned
Right, got as far as the first segment of the first day and called it quits when I hit the save screen. On that note, it's an amazing save screen. The splash screen going into it and the wobbly little sketches of characters in the background are perfect. The game absolutely delivers in pretty much every facet of its' presentation.

The game itself I'm really enjoying. Something like this absolutely lives and dies on how strong the writing feels, and I feel pretty confident about it right now. It's pretty well paced and the character writing convincingly conversational. It feels very hyper-aware of its' setting, and I don't strictly mean the retro-cyberpunk vibe (but it lives and breathes its' hallmarks) but the fact that you're having conversations across a bar's countertop specifically. There's an implicitly understood dynamic framing the interaction and already some notable differences I've seen in how clients can value that. It all works to create a really cool vibe that holds together the rest of the atmosphere this game tries so hard to nail.

It also helps that the game's not afraid to hit more intimately about things; not just conversational fluff about local celebrity gossip but stuff like why we think that stuff matters, or waxing over how natural lying is.

Which strikes me as the common thread that this game likes to ask so far, which is mostly just about people in general.

Something I'm wondering about is how much experimentation the game really allows for, though. I've been messing around with drinks and it's been a bit hit or miss as far as how clearly I'm doing stuff 'right' is in that I'm confident what I just did affected things in a less than binary way.

Some QOL stuff bites at me, though. Primarily just that the Jukebox takes a while to populate between the two seconds or so it takes to load previews and the fact you need to page through the whole thing. I love the entire soundtrack, so it's not a huge deal as I'm not especially particular about what I'm listening to in this game, but a button that automatically populated the jukebox would be cool.

The game seems a bit buggy, though. I haven't run into anything notable yet, but my game did freeze for a hot second which was, uh, briefly concerning. Hope that doesn't escalate into anything more later.

but anyways I've played this game for like 20 minutes so uh

Man, I know Garoad is into SMT, but this soundtrack is early SMT AS FUCK.

Hadn't heard any of the music since the prologue, really happy with it so far.

mdzapeer

Whats with the Fake dithering effect on the graphics? does this come with a CRT shader effect? I have a very hard time time playing pixel art games without a good CRT effect on them.

dkoy

Will have to give this a try later when I have more time. For now I'll just let it sit in my download folder since I'm too busy. What I played of the proof of concept was enough for me already though (the one where you play as Gilliam).

mankoto

Hearing that the game is bugging out is kinda concerning and confusing considering my time with the game was absolutely flawless. I did try and do a preview stream yesterday and the game kept crashing due to the new update. They said they fixed it when I told them about it and will release an update soon so I hope this will iron itself out

That said, this game is absolutely fantastic through and through and I can't wait to see what Sukeban's next game is.

epmode

Are those of us that paid $8 on itch.io months ago getting the soundtrack for the main game as well as the prologue?

Milijango

Just got through the first night. It seems like I'm in a for a treat; reminds me a bit of Papers, Please.

There's got to be a good way to shuffle Jukebox songs though, right?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I will wait for the PS Vita version although who knows how long that would take because when I asked the developer where's the PS Vita version in the E3 trailer the team that will be handling the porting process reply to me and said that it would happen sometime after they received the source code for the game meaning they haven't even begun to port the game yet.

SpotAnime

I preordered over a year ago for the soundtrack alone. I'll be double dipping on the Vita for sure.

For those of us who bought on itch, do we get a Steam key or no?

I will wait for the PS Vita version although who knows how long that would take because when I asked the developer where's the PS Vita version in the E3 trailer the team that will be handling the porting process reply to me and said that it would happen sometime after they received the source code for the game meaning they haven't even begun to port the game yet.
:(

epmode

For those of us who bought on itch, do we get a Steam key or no?

Yes, you should already have it on your itch.io page.

Incidentally, please let me know if you see a soundtrack for the full game on your page. I only see the OST for the prologue on mine. (This only applies to people that paid $8, not $5)

Top Bottom