• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action |OT| Do Androids Drink To Electric Beats?

mankoto

Just seems odd that they are, they're not from the same publisher or developer I believe, so why make the connection at all? Just a bit strange

Probably some sort of cross promo at play. I haven't played ROM so if I came across them in reference I wouldn't have known. That said,
YIIK
is blatantly referenced.

Bought, installed and played this immediately after coming home from work last night.

It's incredible how engrossing the characters are and how lived in the world feels.

Boss is best girl

Dio

Banned
Is this the second big 'from-4chan' game, then? The first being Katawa Shoujo hailing from /a/ and splintering off, and this coming from the amateur game development general threads on 4chan. I see this having a lot of appeal and growing in popularity as time goes by.

Is this the second big 'from-4chan' game, then? The first being Katawa Shoujo hailing from /a/ and splintering off, and this coming from the amateur game development general threads on 4chan. I see this having a lot of appeal and growing in popularity as time goes by.

Am I the only one weirded out that fucking 4chan of all places is able to birth games with so much humanity and pathos?

Giever

I pre-ordered this a WHILE ago from their website, and I don't even know if it was through itch.io. I don't seem to have an account on itch.io, or if I do, I have no idea what the login is. Hmm. :(

mankoto

Am I the only one weirded out that fucking 4chan of all places is able to birth games with so much humanity and pathos?
Just because it's known as an inhumane place doesn't mean that everyone there is inhumane. There are some genuinely good people there. Just let everyone be anonymous and everyone will shitpost up the place. It's just the nature of beast.

I pre-ordered this a WHILE ago from their website, and I don't even know if it was through itch.io. I don't seem to have an account on itch.io, or if I do, I have no idea what the login is. Hmm. :(

You don't need an account to get it. Just find your pre-order email and there will be a steam key waiting for you.

Molemitts

This has definitely interested me, I remember seeing it a while back. I think I'll pick it up some time soon. I love cyberpunk and it reminds a bit of Papers, Please, which I really liked, too.

I've put 3 hours into this and I love it.

Same universe. No direct connections, though.

I'm curious about this connection now. I've got Read Only Memories installed but unplayed.
Edit: I saw an answer above. It was next on my list to play anyway. I'm in a cyberpunk mood.

Giever

EDIT: Never mind! I think I must have pre-ordered it from Humble Bundle. I just remember downloading the demo from their site forever ago, so that's why I got confused.

Odrion

Banned
hmm

VrlSpWo.jpg

Probably some sort of cross promo at play. I haven't played ROM so if I came across them in reference I wouldn't have known. That said,
YIIK
is blatantly referenced.

Augmented Eye was a thing in ROM as well, and I believe the drinks were in the bar in ROM as well (I'm not well versed in fancy alcoholic drinks but most of these are probably real drinks anyway). I'm only on the first day so I'm not sure what other references might pop up.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Just seems odd that they are, they're not from the same publisher or developer I believe, so why make the connection at all? Just a bit strange

A few characters had cameos in ROM, and ROM sets up some of the backstory for the universe as others have mentioned. That's pretty much all I'm aware of.

I bought this game because of the great OP. looking forward to playing it when I get home. the art style looks fantastic.

Any idea on length and replayability?

jett

D-Member
This looks like the right kind of weird, and the music in the trailer was aces. Is it easy to play with a controller btw?

mankoto

Augmented Eye was a thing in ROM as well, and I believe the drinks were in the bar in ROM as well (I'm not well versed in fancy alcoholic drinks but most of these are probably real drinks anyway). I'm only on the first day so I'm not sure what other references might pop up.
Oh really? That's pretty interesting since I thought Augmented Eye was something they made considering they made this tie-in site as well

Protip: This game's screenshot button is F12.

Go to \Users\[User]\Appdata\Local to find the VA-11 HALL-A folder. The Appdata folder is hidden though so you'll have to set your folders to show hidden ones

I bought this game because of the great OP. looking forward to playing it when I get home. the art style looks fantastic.

If it wasn't for my idling, I'd say I beat it in about 20 hours? Maybe a little longer. As for replayability
it has 6 extra ending scenes. If you do everything absolutely perfectly, you will be able to see all of them (but one) on your first run though.

As far as replayability, you can apparently mess up on drinks and get people more or less drunk than they wanted, although I'm not sure to what extent that effects conversations (one person remarked that she liked my drinks and would come back later, so perhaps if I messed them up she wouldn't return). Hopefully over the next few days people can report back with how much things like that will have an effect.

I vaguely remember a friend saying that Risk of Rain was made by someone from that amateur something general.

If it wasn't for my idling, I'd say I beat it in about 20 hours? Maybe a little longer. As for replayability
it has 6 extra ending scenes. If you do everything absolutely perfectly, you will be able to see all of them (but one) on your first run though.
wow that's significantly longer than I thought it'd be. awesome

cj_iwakura

Crap, I know I have the prologue, but I don't have an .io account. Maybe I just never bought it? I could have sworn I did...

Bombless

When did this happen? I've only seen Dorothy once, on day 2, and she didn't mention anything about her mental age. Just wondering if this is from later in the game or if her dialogue changed based on what drinks she had

The mixing menu looks differently so it might be the demo or prologue? I saw the first part of that line when I met her in day 2 but the end of it was different.

I think that was it.

Did you search your email for va-11? You should have a receipt somewhere if you bought it already. Also, are you sure you have the prologue chapter and not the free demo? They're two different downloads. The prologue uses Renpy, I think the demo and full game are made in Game Maker (so you should have a renpy folder in the prologue's folder if you have it installed right now).

cj_iwakura

Did you search your email for va-11? You should have a receipt somewhere if you bought it already. Also, are you sure you have the prologue chapter and not the free demo? They're two different downloads.

I'm not sure to be honest. It might have been the demo. If it is, I'm not sure why I didn't buy it.

But I could play it on my Vita and even get a delicious physical copy, it's worth the wait.
Indeed. One of my most anticipated titles of the year and I'm obstinate enough to fight tooth and nail to ensure my first time in Glitch City will be through a physical Vita cart.

Top Bottom