• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We’re Seth Rich’s parents. Stop politicizing our son’s murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSweeley

Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...4cf4dc-3fee-11e7-9869-bac8b446820a_story.html

The writers are the parents of Seth Rich, who was killed in the District in 2016.

Still, conservative news outlets and commentators continue, day after painful day, to peddle discredited conspiracy theories that Seth was killed after having provided WikiLeaks with emails from the DNC. Those theories, which some reporters have since retracted, are baseless, and they are unspeakably cruel.

We know that Seth’s personal email and his personal computer were both inspected by detectives early in the investigation and that the inspection revealed no evidence of any communications with anyone at WikiLeaks or anyone associated with WikiLeaks. Nor did that inspection reveal any evidence that Seth had leaked DNC emails to WikiLeaks or to anyone else. Indeed, those who have suggested that Seth’s role as a data analyst at the DNC gave him access to a wide trove of emails are simply incorrect — Seth’s job was to develop analytical models to encourage voters to turn out to vote. He didn’t have access to DNC emails, Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee emails, John Podesta’s emails or Hillary Clinton’s emails. That simply wasn’t his job.

Despite these facts, our family’s nightmare persists. Seth’s death has been turned into a political football. Every day we wake up to new headlines, new lies, new factual errors, new people approaching us to take advantage of us and Seth’s legacy. It just won’t stop. The amount of pain and anguish this has caused us is unbearable. With every conspiratorial flare-up, we are forced to relive Seth’s murder and a small piece of us dies as more of Seth’s memory is torn away from us.

To those who sincerely want to get to the bottom of Seth’s murder, we don’t hold this against you. We don’t think you are monsters, and we don’t think you are terrible people. We know that so many people out there really do care, don’t know what to think and are angry at the lack of answers.

We also know that many people are angry at our government and want to see justice done in some way, somehow. We are asking you to please consider our feelings and words. There are people who are using our beloved Seth’s memory and legacy for their own political goals, and they are using your outrage to perpetuate our nightmare. We ask those purveying falsehoods to give us peace, and to give law enforcement the time and space to do the investigation they need to solve our son’s murder.

Its such a disgrace that assholes on either end of the political spectrum have tried to politicize their son.

Burn in hell Sean Hannity, Wikileaks, Jimmy Dore, and Kim Dotcom

Palmer_v1

I feel so bad for his family. Like it's not bad enough that he died, people have to keep digging at it so the family can never fully move on.

entremet

It's not even politicizing, it's out and out bizarre conspiracy theories from crazy town being trumpeted by the same fools behind pizzagate, which is now being sourced by mainstream conservative news outlets.

I mean, Fox News, not a bastion of integrity, but them running this story is still very strange.

I think what is extra upsetting about this is the parents seem like they want/need closure to process their grief, hence all the references to 'letting the police investigate', 'lack of answers', etc. So these conspiracy theorists not only anger them through their direct exploitation of their son's death but it also reminds them that they're no closer to understanding why their son died that night either. And if the police assumption that it was just a botched robbery is true, they'll probably never get a definitive answer to that question that provides any closure. They'll just be dogged by people constantly talking about this conspiracy for the rest of their lives.

RinsFury

The alt-right has completely co-opted this poor mans death into their insane movement. Fuck every single of these guys, complete garbage excuses for human beings.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Wait, didn't Hannity just tweet that his parents and brother are begging him to continue his personal investigation?

Wtf?

Acorn

Being forced to constantly relive their loss is as close to hell as I can think of.

I'd say shame on them but they have no fucking shame. Dangerous losers & ghouls.

sk3

Banned
Their son's murder is unsolved. Would you not do everything you could to see your child's murderer brought to justice?

It'll be interesting what becomes of the Kim Dotcom stuff. He doesn't really have anything to gain by lying about it.

We're dealing with people who insist that the Newtown shooting where 20 young kids died was faked by actors in order to enact gun control. Don't ever expect decency or reasonable discourse from them.

Acorn

Their son's murder is unsolved. Would you not do everything you could to see your child's murderer brought to justice?

It'll be interesting what becomes of the Kim Dotcom stuff. He doesn't really have anything to gain by lying about it.
What the fuck?

This shit has been debunked repeatedly.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Did you skip over the entire point of the article where the parents are pleading for Hannity and everyone else to stop their bullshit "investigation".

Let's say someone kills your loved one and then right-wing loons insist it's part of a massive cover up not because they want to help, but because they think they can exploit your family member's death for political gain. You'd be appreciative of that?

Plumbob

He has a ton to gain if no one can prove he's lying.

Sheroking

Yeah, they are. By letting the police investigate the murder, not by following up on demonstrably nonsense conspiracy theories that have long since been discredited.

Don't ask people like Hannity to back off because they won't. You respond in the only manner they truly understand, you lawyer up and file a civil suit against him to hit him in his wallet. I guarantee you there are a ton of great lawyers out there who would love nothing more than to humble Hannity.

Vic_Viper

This won't stop Hannity. If anything, he'll double down.

"To those who sincerely want to get to the bottom of Seth’s murder, we don’t hold this against you. We don’t think you are monsters, and we don’t think you are terrible people. We know that so many people out there really do care, don’t know what to think and are angry at the lack of answers."

This line alone will give him the reason to want to continue on with his crap.

Beeks

His name in the media in 20-fucking-17. That's what he has to gain by it.

Plumbob

I mean, does "the Clintons murdered him" even pass the smell test?

As extremely public people, why would they murder someone?

You seriously fucking think Kim has anything real or useful to say? Solving their son's murder? Laughable.

No, I'm not clicking his site to fucking give him views and ad time (you have to scroll down, LOL). Stop doing conspiracy theories.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

You mean except internet celebrity and attention from stupefyingly gullible morons?

Permanently A

the_donald: "looks like they got to his parents and they're forcing them to say this! we gotta get to the bottom of this!"

No I'm not shitting you, I've seen comments like this.

Go fuck yourself. You come into the thread and READ NOTHING from the parents asking you conspiracy freaks to stop and continue feeding this shit. You are morally bankrupt or mentally ill. Once again, go fuck yourself.

SeanR1221

the_donald: "looks like they got to his parents and they're forcing them to say this! we gotta get to the bottom of this!"

No I'm not shitting you, I've seen comments like this.

Yup. The crazies will continue to double down.

How much did the DNC pay his parents to say this? Come on pedes! Let's show Seth some love!!!

BY2K

Membero Americo
Sounds like Hannity is gonna double down tonight.

DAjt9ooXkAAYTOe.jpg:small

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom