• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3: Ashes of Ariandel |OT|

Can this DLC get any worse? Gang-bang mobs, gang-bang boss and then the motherfucking platforming with archers. So fucking stupid and lame; it is not even hard but just badly designed. I wouldn't be surprised if the DLC kills DkS3 (at least there is the PvP area) instead of making it more active like DkS1 was in both aspects of PvP and PvE--people still do challenge/speed runs of DkS1 to this day.

I was really excited to get to play DkS3 again and find an incentive to do so but this DLC basically killed my interest.

It didn't kill DS3 and it won't...plenty of people really enjoyed this DLC and there's still a peak of 6,000 to 9,000 people playing every day on Steam.

Sanctuary

I plan on getting this eventually, but is it worth playing now, or should I just wait until the second DLC arrives and play both together? Read elsewhere that this first DLC was somewhat underwhelming, and a bit short.

So I reinstalled ds3 on my new secondary SSD, as I had uninstalled it to make room on my primary a while back for newer games.

And my save is gone....noooooo.

I wish I knew before that ds3 doesn't use steam cloud saves. UGH!

It shouldn't delete your saves. Do a search for DarkSouls in c:users<your user name>AppData

I plan on getting this eventually, but is it worth playing now, or should I just wait until the second DLC arrives and play both together? Read elsewhere that this first DLC was somewhat underwhelming, and a bit short.

It's not underwhelming, but it's not above and beyond like the other Soulsborne DLCs are relative to their base games. It's basically just more Dark Souls III. The boss is amazing though. Best boss in the game and one of the best in the series in my opinion. It is short though, so I'd probably just wait if you're willing.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Am I over-leveled for this DLC if I'm SL 139 on NG+?

Should I go to NG++ and start from there?

Mr_Moogle

Anyone else with the PC version of Dark Souls 3 having issues with the game crashing?

I'm at Farron Keep and the game keeps freezing. I know it's not my rig as its quite decent. (GTX 1070 + i5 4790K). I've got the latest Nvidia drivers installed.

I really want to buy this DLC but I can't do it if the game is this broken.

Anyone else with the PC version of Dark Souls 3 having issues with the game crashing?

I'm at Farron Keep and the game keeps freezing. I know it's not my rig as its quite decent. (GTX 1070 + i5 4790K). I've got the latest Nvidia drivers installed.

No crashes here. Try playing offline/online (depending on how you're playing now) to see if it makes a difference.

Yeah, I started up a new game for the first time in a while and I got a few crashes. A Google search suggested running the game in windowed mode which I did and it seemed to work. No issues in 5+ hours. I suggest using Borderless Gaming.

renzolama

LTTP on this one. I played through The Old Hunters DLC on BB up through the OOK fight earlier this year (without having fully finished the original campaign) and decided I needed a rest from hard soulsborne, so I finished the main DS3 campaign a couple times and didn't push any further (I didn't find many of the main campaign fights very difficult after spending a lot of time with BB). Earlier this month I decided to polish off The Old Hunters and run through Ashes. I surprised myself by doing pretty well off the couch with the remainder of Old Hunters / main BB campaign bosses; I finished Laurence, Wet Nurse, Gehrman, and Moon Presence with <= 2 attempts each.

Needless to say, I was feeling pretty shithot when I got into Ashes, but man, it's really kicked my ass. It felt like all the pushes between the major bonfires were very long and tedious, with lots of random gotchas like
tree enemies, avalanches, millknights, etc
, and
Sister Friede
put a serious whooping on me for a dozen attempts before I gave up and summoned the NPC to finish up the encounter and move on.

I'm not sure how I feel about the difficulty in Ashes so close to playing The Old Hunters (and before that doing a full run through the DS2 DLC in Scholar of the First Sin). It didn't feel like I had as much potential for skill experience/growth during the second and third phases of
the sister fight
, it was more about
randomly dodging big AOE attacks from multiple angles and getting a lucky hit in here and there.
It reminded me a bit of the second phase in the OOK fight from The Old Hunters, where I felt a bit dependent on the AI to pick the "right" attacks that I could counter rather than the
nasty, rapid AOE patterns I couldn't escape without some luck.

How does the soulsborne community feel about Ashes and the boss fights. Am I just whining because I got beat up after The Old Hunters boosted my ego, or is there some weird post-bloodborne difficulty stuff happening here that doesn't necessarily fit with the Dark Souls mechanics?

Edit: I also had a possibly irrational dislike of the fact that
the sister fight forced me to fight through an entire life bar three times, along with included cutscene / audio. That "surprise lol this isn't even my final form" stuff seems like it was phased out of souls for some time now, and I can't say I really appreciated it making a return.

Edit2: Hopefully I hit the spoiler tags appropriately - I'm admittedly lost as to what should count as spoilers in souls at this point.

Edit3: Honestly, after playing around with it a bit more, I think it's actually a solidly-designed fight that I just wasn't handling well due to the transition from BB back to DS. I guess I still don't quite have a good grasp on the nuances of the "fast" DS3 combat and getting my muscle memory back in good order for the dodging/counters/etc took longer than I thought it would.

The Flash

Banned
Just finished it. I remember people saying it was just ok when it came out but I thought it was great. My favorite area in the game now. Yeah it's a little short in terms of length but it's easily the best designed location and the most visually appealing imo. Hopefully the next DLC will be just as good albeit a little bit meatier in content.

Sande

Just finished it. I remember people saying it was just ok when it came out but I thought it was great. My favorite area in the game now. Yeah it's a little short in terms of length but it's easily the best designed location and the most visually appealing imo. Hopefully the next DLC will be just as good albeit a little bit meatier in content.
It's definitely good, just maybe not quite what you'd expect at this price point.

My main complaints with the DLC are the fly and corvian enemies and the second boss. The corvian settlement and cathedral basement are a pretty large chunk of the DLC and there's just nothing there combat-wise since those enemies are free kills. I get that not every area has to be about combat but you can't skimp out on it when the DLC is already so small. And the second boss is just really really lazy.

If those three things were on the same level as the rest of the DLC, Ariandel would probably be my favourite area in a Soulsborne game.

Ferr986

They are taking their sweet time already, especially if you compare it with how fast the DS2 DLC got released.

I guess the team working on this is really small (doesn't bode well for the lenght of DLC2, Ariandel was really good but also really short).

hopefully it's not too far from an announcement/trailer and then release.

I hope it's got more dense areas (or one incredibly dense area if its Londor/NLR only) then Ariandel had. The DLC probably won't be that long but if I get a moment or two where I'm like "Oh, that lore twist/revelation is cool" or a boss or two that makes me go "WHAAAAAT?" (like Freide's 3rd form. In a good and bad way) etc I will be happy.

I'm most excited for the final boss of the series. Soul of Cinder is perfect from a lore PoV and the fight is pretty cool without being obnoxiously difficult or anything, but whatever is last in DLC2 needs to be intense, tough and visually awe inspiring. Or it could be a joke fight vs the Furtive Pygmy having only 1HP.

DemWalls

They are taking their sweet time already, especially if you compare it with how fast the DS2 DLC got released.

I guess the team working on this is really small (doesn't bode well for the lenght of DLC2, Ariandel was really good but also really short).

Yeah, if AoA cost 10 bucks I could see this one being meatier, but since that's not the case and the Season Pass is 25, I expect something similar in size, maybe slightly bigger since this time they don't have to add an entirely new mode (the arena).

Also, slightly unrelated:

https://youtu.be/PJvxye_h1rY

I LOL'd at the inscriptions in Archdragon Peak.

Damn, having to slog through multiple phases on retries for this boss is going to be a bore. I would much rather have a few fully realized boss fights than one where you have to redo the same thing over and over to get another chance at the final phase.

OK, finished it up. Face, meet Heavy Greataxe +10. Maybe I'm a stubborn idiot and should have stopped trying, but I had 5-6 backstab whiffs on each attempt. That's very frustrating.

It took a couple more tries to down the boss solo, and while my level is higher (finished all the other content), it was still a challenging fight. While my overall opinion on the DLC is positive, it definitely wasn't as good as I could have hoped for. The "story" and lore did nothing for me this time. I usually read up every item and try to figure out what's going on, but I had no idea what I was doing, or why I was doing it the entire time, and that desire to figure it out wasn't there. The setting is beautiful to look at, but there are too many wide open spaced, filled with rather bland new enemies. I didn't experience any deaths due to the archers, but that trick is getting a little worn out with me. The boss fight was good, but possibly could have been amazing if they tweaked it, and maybe split it into two fights. So that's where I'm at. I had a good time, but I can't help but think it could have been much better, as From's DLC is usually fantastic.

Experien

That would be the general OT for DS3, but here is good too why not?!

Why do you think it goes against the Souls design?

Sorry, I did a search for OT and this is the one that popped up.

All of souls bosses/enemies are based on reading your opponent and getting the best of them. You can learn their moves and you could say it is about controlling the battlefield. Well with Nameless you can't since you can't know the battlefloor. You don't know where you stand, you don't know where he stands, it becomes a guessing game unless you are just right up on them.

All the other battles you mess up in, it is because you didn't position yourself or you weren't holding your shield up. Here you can't position yourself and just seems like they made this based on the cool idea of a storm and then gave up on finishing it and fixing the issue.

The guys with the axes on chains feel anti-souls with their chains going through walls as well.

tl;dr Screw the invisible ground.

I agree the arena can be a little disorientating, especially in the first phase for me, swinging and not being close enough to the dragon's head, that kind of thing.

Experien

I agree the arena can be a little disorientating, especially in the first phase for me, swinging and not being close enough to the dragon's head, that kind of thing.

Oh well, I was able to beat him with help of another person.

How is this DLC (to stay on topic) for someone who doesn't want to PVP?

Goldboy

The DLC is divisive.

Some people, like myself, totally love it but there are quite a few who don't. Most of the complaints regarding the DLC are based on the length, but personally it didn't feel that short to me. Hard to tell how much you'll like it before you play it since it's so polarizing.

Toxi

Banned

Short but mostly well-designed. Really good level design if you take your time to explore it. One mediocre boss, one really cool but kinda excessive boss that will likely take you hours to beat. Some fun weapons. Jackshit for spells; the Miracle is hilariously shitty.

I think it's best when you're not end-game level and the enemies pose a real challenge.

Sushi Nao

I did a ton of sign-laying and loved it.. I don't pvp unless I have to. PvE was great for me, some of the locations are *stunning.*

I got about 20 hours of play out of it. Maybe wait for the population bump at the next one?

Alo0oy

Banned
The DLC is divisive.

Some people, like myself, totally love it but there are quite a few who don't. Most of the complaints regarding the DLC are based on the length, but personally it didn't feel that short to me. Hard to tell how much you'll like it before you play it since it's so polarizing.

I loved the DLC, but the more I distance myself from it, the more I think the boss kinda dragged for way too long, it should have been split into two bosses. The length was fine IMO.

Experien

Short but mostly well-designed. Really good level design if you take your time to explore it. One mediocre boss, one really cool but kinda excessive boss that will likely take you hours to beat. Some fun weapons. Jackshit for spells; the Miracle is hilariously shitty.

I think it's best when you're not end-game level and the enemies pose a real challenge.

I stuck with my starting weapon, not sure if I would venture into new weapon territory. Got so used to it that by the time I found a weapon I thought was cooler, it was so underpowered that it wasn't worth the time. That is until the end but I wasn't about to take on final bosses with a weapon I wasn't comfortable with.

When is the best time to venture into it? My save is at the end (before/after the Lord of Cinder). That mean I am too leveled up to enjoy this as a challenge?

Also, how does this compare to other games? As in, I felt Dark Souls III borrowed very heavily from Demon's Souls and Bloodborne.

Kazuhira

The lenght is fine,about as long as AoTA tbh.
It's just that there's nothing memorable except for the final boss imo,i've had my fill of snowy areas with Irithyll so i was kinda tired of exploring a similar enviroment again.

Sushi Nao

When is the best time to venture into it? My save is at the end (before/after the Lord of Cinder). That mean I am too leveled up to enjoy this as a challenge?

Also, how does this compare to other games? As in, I felt Dark Souls III borrowed very heavily from Demon's Souls and Bloodborne.

I went in at 120 in NG. Lots of people feel that's overleveled, but it's just right for me.

I got a big Demon's feel from the architecture of one of the areas (mid-DLC location spoiler)
Corvian Settlement
but the snowy vibe is pretty unique.

taoofjord

I enjoyed the DLC for the most part. Aspects of the environment design felt a little low budget but it still looked nice. Bosses were good. I really enjoyed the story. I recommend checking out Vaati's recent videos on it.

iorek21

I don't know what's my problem with Dark Souls 3, really.

It's a great game, but it seems... uninspired? I think even the dlc is kind of lackluster when compared to DS2'S and Bloodborne's.

As much as I used to hate Dark Souls 2, its level design and combat changes, I've got more memories of that game than of DS3...

DS3 is beautiful and very polished, but everything in it is so... forgettable??

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

It's a great game, but it seems... uninspired? I think even the dlc is kind of lackluster when compared to DS2'S and Bloodborne's.

As much as I used to hate Dark Souls 2, its level design and combat changes, I've got more memories of that game than of DS3...

I like it a lot and just few days ago finally replayed it properly, this time with both dlc and all bosses. It's a great game but You just go forward, have some fan service and it's over. Still better than almost any other game out there but I also like Dark Souls 2 more

iorek21

I like it a lot and just few days ago finally replayed it properly, this time with both dlc and all bosses. It's a great game but You just go forward, have some fan service and it's over. Still better than almost any other game out there but I also like Dark Souls 2 more

Yeah... Dark Souls 2 may have its problems, but it's way more open for exploration. Being able to go from Majula to 3-5 different paths from the get go was a great idea (not on the same quality as DS1's Firelink Shrine interconnectivity, but still great).

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Dark Souls 3 is now my favorite of the Dark Souls series. Although, the Cinders MOD made it better in many ways.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Replayed the game and got the first boss in this DLC and just thought "Nah I'm good." Walking forward to experience gimmick boss fights isn't exactly the pinnacle of game design. At least in DS II I could choose more than one path.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Replayed the game and got the first boss in this DLC and just thought "Nah I'm good." Walking forward to experience gimmick boss fights isn't exactly the pinnacle of game design. At least in DS II I could choose more than one path.

There are. That "gimmick boss" was actually the last boss I faced in Ashes.

Top Bottom