• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3: Ashes of Ariandel |OT|

Edzi

Just found the optional boss area and officially finished the DLC. Took me about two and a half hours, and I've gotta say I'm pretty disappointed both from a potential lore pov and from a gameplay pov. It was a very shallow offering from FROM and I'm sort of worried about the final DLC now.

Nose Master

Can you progress if you murder NPCs?
I talked to the guard outside the house, talked to the lady inside a bit, and then "killed" them both. Did I fuck myself on progressing through the dlc?

takriel

Just found the optional boss area and officially finished the DLC. Took me about two and a half hours, and I've gotta say I'm pretty disappointed both from a potential lore pov and from a gameplay pov. It was a very shallow offering from FROM and I'm sort of worried about the final DLC now.
Never thought this possible from Miyazaki tbh.

So, im not sure if anyone tried this, but what happens if
you attack friede before the final fight? is the boss fight negated, or the game doesnt really care you killed her?A friend of mine mistakenly killed her, and is afraid it fucked his save.
They are like hunter dream npcs

Jombie

Not surprised but still disappointed to hear all this. I hope they at least knock the final dlc out of the park.

TitusTroy

would say it's probably the worst souls DLC. most dlc's in the series and bloodborne elevates the game to greater heights. this just feels like it maintained the status quo of the base game.

that's not necessarily a bad thing...I think the DLC is somewhat underwhelming only when comparing it to other From Software DLC...on its own it's still much better then most

I think it is good so far. Wish I could say I blew through this DLC in a few hours but I've actually died quite a few times.

I died multiple times in the tower. It is cramped which makes dodging tough. The run up to the tower isn't super difficult but it can be time consuming clearing the level again after a death, especially the milkwood knights.

Finally got the
captain's ashes
, moving on to the
chapel across the bridge.

Roussow

Jesus this main boss. I've got 100% completion everywhere else in the dlc, but good lord. This boss is next level, man. I've died a lot, more times than I'm proud to admit. Even at level 90(ish) on a new game, it's tearing me apart.

jb1234

I'm having a good time with it but I suspect I don't have a great deal left.

Just made it to the fifth bonfire, after the super difficult knight in the Chapel.

i did hate the
padding on that final fight
. felt tiring as fuck.

padding ayyy, im ready for this new flavor of salt.

Item distribution is kinda wack too.
Beat a hard ass red eye Viking looking dude on top of a tower and get a Titanite Shard for your troubles.
From Software at maximum levels of trolls.

Yeah i posted in the OT here, saying i thought i missed something, that did not feel like a dead end.

Like it so far, definitely weaker than other Souls DLC, still better than most games though so whatever

I'm having the "damn I need to go to bed but still want to play" thing going so there's that too.

Well, the posts in this thread don't sound very encouraging. I guess this will be the first Souls DLC I don't buy.

How is the PVP arena, is that part of the DLC good at at least?

The hell...
Grave Champion Fight
seriously? Thats it? The music is too damn good for such a piss poor
boss
. I feel From should of given the guy more HP or something or have him summon the
Great Wolf
sooner.

I've always had a blast with Souls games... until this DLC. I literally played it for half an hour then went back to Dragon Quest Builders.

=( I wonder what happened. AotA and The Old Hunters were fantastic. DS2 DLCs were a vast improvement over the base game. And this is the last game, as well. You'd think they'd want to end the series on a high note...

Jombie

=( I wonder what happened. AotA and The Old Hunters were fantastic. DS2 DLCs were a vast improvement over the base game. And this is the last game, as well. You'd think they'd want to end the series on a high note...

I think it was rushed and the pvp arena divided development.

I haven't fought the optional boss yet but I already hate it. Sulyvahn Beasts are one of the most bullshit enemies in the series and the wolf is just a bigger version. Why not a crow-themed boss or something? Just fucking lazy.

gogosox82

The hell...
Grave Champion Fight
seriously? Thats it? The music is too damn good for such a piss poor
boss
. I feel From should of given the guy more HP or something or have him summon the
Great Wolf
sooner.

Was thinking the same. Really disappointed with it.

silva1991

I played for like 15 minutes before I died yesterday and I was impressed.

the big map designed is pretty much the best in the dark souls series(compared to stuff like DS1 forest, Frigid Otskirts etc)

Only BB's forbidden woods compares imo.

New enemies are awesome and it seems like they have new movesets and animations for the most part which is good.

Anyways time to get back to it.

I think it was rushed and the pvp arena divided development.

I haven't fought the optional boss yet but I already hate it. Sulyvahn Beasts are one of the most bullshit enemies in the series and the wolf is just a bigger version. Why not a crow-themed boss or something? Just fucking lazy.

Well,
the wolf really didn't feel like a beefed up Sulyvahn Beast to me, and I'm not sure how you can call it fucking lazy...it's a decent fight, even if the main attraction is surprisingly easy. The wolf hits hard as a truck but doesn't feel impossible to dodge like the beasts did to me. Feels more like an amped up Vordt in terms of moveset.

Hmm. Just finished a couple hours ago. Put a good 7 hours into it, but it felt like 2/3 of a pretty darn good DLC. It didn't start very strong, but I came around to it,
only to have the end be a big nothing
* after the final boss.
Definitely the worst Souls DLC yet, but it's not bad. Just not amazing relative to the game, like all the other DLCs have been, as well as seemingly rushed. Some of the design reminds me of certain parts of Dark Souls 2, not that this is totally a bad thing.
I didn't feel super hyped for this to begin with and I simultaneously enjoyed it a lot and was pretty disappointed.

This just left me feeling very conflicted overall.

I know pretty much all the other Souls DLCs don't have real endings, but this has nothing at all, just it's so sudden and unsatisfying. Can't put my finger on it.

Hmm. Just finished a couple hours ago. Put a good 7 hours into it, but it felt like 2/3 of a pretty darn good DLC. It didn't start very strong, but I came around to it,
only to have the end be a big nothing
* after the final boss.
Definitely the worst Souls DLC yet, but it's not bad. Just not amazing relative to the game, like all the other DLCs have been, as well as seemingly rushed. Some of the design reminds me of certain parts of Dark Souls 2, not that this is totally a bad thing.
I didn't feel super hyped for this to begin with and I simultaneously enjoyed it a lot and was pretty disappointed.

This just left me feeling very conflicted overall.

I know pretty much all the other Souls DLCs don't have real endings, but this has nothing at all, just it's so sudden and unsatisfying. Can't put my finger on it.

Don't forget that Bloodborne was supposed to have 2 DLCs too, but FROM combined them into the big Old Hunters DLC instead (and props to Sony for allowing them to!)

From the sound of it, that's exactly what should have happened here.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Since I'll probably want to start a new character to play through all the game again, I think I'll wait until the second DLC is out and I'm done catching up with my backlog...

Alo0oy

Banned
I'm sitting at the office, and all I'm thinking about is the DLC. I should have taken the day off.

And I stopped playing at a really high note too,
I got the Onyx Blade and I didn't even get to try it.

Don't forget that Bloodborne was supposed to have 2 DLCs too, but FROM combined them into the big Old Hunters DLC instead (and props to Sony for allowing them to!)

From the sound of it, that's exactly what should have happened here.

Yes I do know that, but I have not played Bloodborne or its DLC.

I do think they should have delayed it and potentially combined both planned DLCs for this game also. But Bandai Namco would probably not have allowed for that.

pa22word

Got to the boss on a lvl 120 NG+++ build...

tumblr_inline_n6760sziol1r7blwi.gif

gonna be a long night ;-;

Yes I do know that, but I have not played Bloodborne or its DLC.

I do think they should have delayed it and potentially combined both planned DLCs for this game also.

You should never say you haven't played Bloodborne in a Souls thread, man.

People will jump on you about how it's the best game ever made.

Mostly because it's the best game ever made

IMO DLC is great, maybe is not Old hunters level, but the village level design was great, albeit as small area it has some nice touches and plenty to uncover.

You should never say you haven't played Bloodborne in a Souls thread, man.

People will jump on you about how it's the best game ever made.

Mostly because it's the best game ever made

I would play it, as I'm a huge Souls fan and Dark Souls and DkS3 are my favorite games, but I still refuse to buy a console for it or Demon's Souls. As tempted as I am.

I do think DkS3 quenched my thirst for Bloodborne enough, though.

Aurongel

Message on the ground in the cleansing chapel:

"Ahh... Bloody Expensive. Therefore moneybags required ahead."

😂

I would play it, as I'm a huge Souls fan and Dark Souls and DkS3 are my favorite games, but I still refuse to buy a console for it or Demon's Souls. As tempted as I am.

I do think DkS3 quenched my thirst for Bloodborne enough, though.

Understandable. I'd still try to borrow or rent a PS4/PS3 to play those two games. They're worth it.

FWIW: I played through DkS3 and I'd still jump at an opportunity to replay Bloodborne a third time. And I never replay shit anymore. It's seriously the best thing. DkS3 is no replacement for it.

(other people pls don't quote me to start a best Souls discussion)

jb1234

Had a pretty rough time with the
dude and his pet wolf boss.
Now I'm stuck on the main boss. About four hours of gameplay so far and since there's nothing else after this, I suppose I can give my impressions.

Eh. This was really hit and miss for me. I was generally enjoying myself but there isn't really a lot of content here, which is a shame. Definitely not worth the money I paid for it.

Alo0oy

Banned
I loved the verticality of the level design from what I played so far. Reminded me of The Valley of Defilement.

FROM needs to do more levels like those.

They need to tone down the bonfires though, it's a little excessive in this DLC (so far).

Veelk

Banned
You know that feeling where you have one last enemy in the area

and you're like "I got this"

and you're doing well and you get him down to his last legs

then he lands a hit

and it's stronger than you expected

and you die

and you have to rekill everything all over again

and you cry a bit

Lux R7

i have just completed the dlc and let's only say i disagree with the reviews. This is a solid 8,5/10. A gothic novel on screen, i loved everything (great final boss) and the atmosphere is just amazing.
Fantastic dlc, can't wait for the second one.

Ok i've killed the bosses...so even if i haven't finished exploring I can pretend I've finished the DLC....it's good, but a tad disappointing. In a weird way. I enjoyed the bosses, both
Champion Gravetender and Sister Freide/Father Ariandel
even if the first boss (optional) was a bit of a letdown compared to the arena.

The second boss was pretty epic, visually it felt like FromSoft stepping up their game and even if it was a very lengthy fight the boss wasn't especially tanky to make up for it, they had a lot of health (this is meant to be end-game tier stuff) but it didn't feel like they went into Bloodborne realms of HP.

I felt the level design was largely on point and a step up from most areas of the main game, with the
Corvian Settlement
being quite good with some twists and turns and density even if the area wasn't too big. It actually made me a bit disappointed in vanilla DS3 because so much of it was "Here's a big area (Farron Swamp) with items scattered about but not much density to the environment".

It's a shame FromSoft didn't get more time to work on Vanilla DS3 and it felt rushed because I feel like Ashes of Ariandel shows some ideas compared to the main game and largely has better level design and a higher level of difficulty, so the weaknesses of the main game stand out more. If the next DLC isn't due till February then I look forward to it, because it feels like FromSoft can still leave the Souls series on a relative high if it's not bereft of content in the way Ariandel is.

Also the lore stuff is really cool without it being world changing.

Edit: If i had to give it a rating...then 7.5 or 8. If this was the base level for the main game and DS3 only evolved from the ideas and world design then DS3 would be incredible.

Top Bottom