• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3: Ashes of Ariandel |OT|

Sooo in the
fly pit
, is it just the
armor set
there or is there more? Had a feeling I combed through it, found nothing more and just headed back upstairs, only to find it leads to
a shortcut to the cathedral

Not sure where to go now.

Timeaisis

So impressions? I really loved DS3, but I don't know how justified I feel for such short content.

I might just wait for the other DLC to come out and do them all at once.

I don't remember old hunter taking me more than 7 hours to beat, I don't see why all the conplaints.

just from playing the starting area and knowing how many bonfires and bosses are in it, it seems about the same size as the Artorias DLC but with more new enemies. i saw half a dozen new enemy types in that first area alone.

Sooo in the
fly pit
, is it just the
armor set
there or is there more? Had a feeling I combed through it, found nothing more and just headed back upstairs, only to find it leads to
a shortcut to the cathedral

Not sure where to go now.

There is a
hidden wall leading to a
invading dark spirit and some spells.
You have activated the
chain in the fly pit that leads to the
end boss?

Aurongel

Has anybody who's been playing since the update noticed any meaningful difference in the way poise feels?

No real changes to poise were made, don't believe that hype.

just from playing the starting area and knowing how many bonfires and bosses are in it, it seems about the same size as the Artorias DLC but with more new enemies. i saw half a dozen new enemy types in that first area alone.
Artorias probably had at least 1.5-2 subsections more than this DLC has but the enemies in this are definitely more interesting and fresh.

I think this DLC falls short for most people when it comes to bosses and the lack of clever shortcuts.

Pejo

Holy shit that (new enemy spoilers)
dude with the rapiers and throwing knives
wrecks my shit pretty handily. Especially the
stab and behind the back knife throw combo
. It just takes off so much damage and there's very little room to heal since it closes gaps so quickly.

I'm personally loving the DLC. I haven't beaten it yet, but I'm just enjoying doing a blind playthrough and exploring, which are my 2 biggest draws to the souls series anyways. I love the layout of the new zone, and those
witch trees
scared the shit out of me the first time they attacked.

Anyone else feel like the
girl
in the
attic
after you fight
Sir Vilhelm
is
Ariamis
?

No, I think she's come after. I feel like Ariamis came before Ariandel. Ariamis' painting had begun to rot, and so too has this one. You can see remnants of the previous painting in Ariandel's (Priscilla's Tower). The young girl is meant to inherit the power of painting worlds but Elfriede made Ariandel hold on and accept the rot instead.

Finished it, I must have got most if not all loot and it was a truly excellent experience,is short, but I feel it feels even shorter thanks to being that good.

New enemies are good and last boss is up there with one of the best one on the series. And overall the whole area has some top notch level design.

Also, so many lore questions.

So impressions? I really loved DS3, but I don't know how justified I feel for such short content.

Is short, (around DS2 DLC), but is really good, which makes it being so short a real shame, because what is there, is excellent and probably one of the most fined designed areas in a souls game.

Has anybody who's been playing since the update noticed any meaningful difference in the way poise feels?

Using the Astora Greatsword, there were a few times when I felt like I should have gotten staggered by an enemy but didn't. Anecdotal evidence, but I felt like I had more hyper armor when attacking.

Derpot

So I just finished the DLC (I think?). I did it on NG with a lvl 55 character.

Some thoughts:
- I love the area. There were awesome moments when I got surprised, scared, panicky (
when I saw the wolf pack the first time holy shit
), I sure had fun haha;
- The main boss was really, really amazing but damn hard. Couldn't beat it alone, I summoned a NPC (who was useless lol) and a player (
I screamed so hard when I saw there was a 3rd phase, what a big surprise
);
- The other boss was disappointing. Fight was too short and wasn't very hm "creative". Beat it alone on my third try;
- I have this feeling that something is missing, but maybe it's because of the lack of content. After I beat the bosses, I felt a bit like "huh that's it?".

Also, there is ONE THING that bothers me a lot:
After beating Friede and Ariandel, the Painter returned to her painting and talked about Gael who apparently had to bring something to her. I thought that maybe it was some kind of quest and I tried to look for Gael but he disappeared from the Cleansing Chapel at the Cathedral of the Deep.
Can we find him somewhere or is this truly the end? That can't end just like that, come on...

Levyne

Banned
Question, did anyone find any purpose to the Corvian NPC in the village area or the NPC in the starting cave? Or the artist in the second floor of where you first meet Friede?

The Corvian ends up disappearing, but the other ones just keep repeating their lines.

Anyone else feel like the
girl
in the
attic
after you fight
Sir Vilhelm
is
Ariamis
?

Thats what I thought...which would make the remaining
Daughters of the Witch of Izalith; Friede, Yuria and Ariamas. Especially the way she talks about having learnt from her Mother's mistake about trying to create a world with flame
or something to that effect.

Jesus fuck.
3 phases
are too fucking much.

Is this
lady and her father considered
the first boss?

NG+3 man :(

It is the only mandatory DLC boss and as far as we know at the moment there is one mandatory boss (although its more like the "content" of two) and one optional boss.

onionfrog

How do I get to
the chapel basement?

I've made it to the
the snowy mountain pass bonfire and opened the tree bridge shortcut to the top of the church building

I can't seem to figure out where to go in the snowy mountain area. It all looks the same to me. I just ended up going around in circles last night.

silva1991

Just beat the boss :D

not Ludwig or Orphan hard, but still amazing.

where can I find the optional one?

It is the only mandatory DLC boss and as far as we know at the moment there is one mandatory boss (although its more like the "content" of two) and one optional boss.

I'm very impressed with this boss. I hope the optional is half as good.

mellow

Did they not add trophies for the DLC? That seems lame if true.

I don't think the DLC for Dark Souls games ever had trophies? only Bloodborne

main boss was really cool and obviously Bloodborne inspired, other boss was disappointing, not particularly creative and didn't feel like much of a boss, all in all the DLC was pretty good but I'm really hoping the second will deliver something on par with DS1's and BB's

J4g3r

Butt bow upgrade.

29927361213_90b2932d51_o.png

Gbraga

- I have this feeling that something is missing, but maybe it's because of the lack of content. After I beat the bosses, I felt a bit like "huh that's it?".

Also, there is ONE THING that bothers me a lot:
After beating Friede and Ariandel, the Painter returned to her painting and talked about Gael who apparently had to bring something to her. I thought that maybe it was some kind of quest and I tried to look for Gael but he disappeared from the Cleansing Chapel at the Cathedral of the Deep.
Can we find him somewhere or is this truly the end? That can't end just like that, come on...

Miyazaki said this, in an interview to IGN JP:

There are a couple of different aspects in Dark Souls 3 DLC that we are trying to achieve, but one of them is a continuation of story between the 2 DLCs. This is something new that we are taking on.

I wonder how they'll make it work without locking content from people who only wish to buy the second DLC, but we'll see. They do add dialogue that many people will never listen to with the DLCs, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to add a few lines to Ashes of Ariandel when the second one comes out.

valouris

Guys, I have the Season Pass on Steam, but I can't seem to access the DLC

I am on NG+, and just yesterday I reached the
Cleansing Chapel
bonfire to be ready. My game is online, it is 1.08, 1.21, and it says ASHES OF ARIANDEL on the top left when I am on the starting screen. What is going on??

I already tried restarting the game, warping to Firelink and back, restarting Steam. Both Ahses of Ariandel and the Season Pass are "checked" in the game's Steam page.

mellow

Miyazaki said this, in an interview to IGN JP:

I wonder how they'll make it work without locking content from people who only wish to buy the second DLC, but we'll see. They do add dialogue that many people will never listen to with the DLCs, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to add a few lines to Ashes of Ariandel when the second one comes out.

those quotes from miyazaki sound good to me, considering how there was some new little story/lore bites in this DLC but felt like it was lacking something..right now I'd guess that the second DLC will be where people have speculated one of them would all along -
Londor and will show why Friede left the Church/Kaathe stuff maybe

Gbraga

Guys, I have the Season Pass on Steam, but I can't seem to access the DLC

I am on NG+, and just yesterday I reached the
Cleansing Chapel
bonfire to be ready. My game is online, it is 1.08, 1.21, and it says ASHES OF ARIANDEL on the top left when I am on the starting screen. What is going on??

I already tried restarting the game, warping to Firelink and back, restarting Steam. Both Ahses of Ariandel and the Season Pass are "checked" in the game's Steam page.

Maybe you need an item that most people have by the time they try to access the DLC and didn't think about it? You needed the Peculiar Doll to enter the Painted World in Dark Souls, maybe the Small Doll is needed? Try defeating the Deacons and then come back.

those quotes from miyazaki sound good to me, considering how there was some new little story/lore bites in this DLC but felt like it was lacking something..right now I'd guess that the second DLC will be where people have speculated one of them would all along -
Londor and will show why Friede left the Church/Kaathe stuff maybe

Yep, very possible.

It would be nice to visit the ruins of Millwood as an optional area, maybe somewhat similar to the Chasm of the Abyss, but still with its own identity, and having the Abyss Dragon as an optional boss.

Just beat the boss :D

not Ludwig or Orphan hard, but still amazing.

where can I find the optional one?

I'm very impressed with this boss. I hope the optional is half as good.
Yea as i said in review thread it's just harder to learn than the other bosses :p The skill cap for the fight is super high though, like you can skim by without working out the mechanics, but you are missing huge windows for punishment.

Optional one is trash though.

And yea we've been driving ourselves crazy trying to get an ending for the dlc, hopefully will find something now everyone is playing

My thoughts exactly. DS3 is one of my favorite games ever, but I'm too cheap frugal to justify spending $15 on only a couple hours of content. :(

silva1991

Great DLC, but the second big DLC better have more than 2 bosses.

I mean lets face it what makes most of us replay a souls DLCs? it's usually because of the awesome and challenging bosses there and not because we want to explore again.

Bosses are huge deal From :/

Yea as i said in review thread it's just harder to learn than the other bosses :p The skill cap for the fight is super high though, like you can skim by without working out the mechanics, but you are missing huge windows for punishment.

Optional one is trash though.

And yea we've been driving ourselves crazy trying to get an ending for the dlc, hopefully will find something now everyone is playing

I have always wanted a fight against both Artorias and Sif at the same time and this is what I got? a random NPC? the hell From. I don't mind random character, but it should have been special like Artorias, Maria, Fume Knight etc
-__-

Anyways great DLC with high quality content, but the lack of bosses really hurt it especially only one of them is good.

This DLC is not small. It might be a relatively short DLC, but the area itself is huge and feels like it goes through a lot of changes as you progess. Even though it's all the same snowy environment, the initally open area with wolves, hollows and the trees felt like a distant memory by the time I'd got to the
great hollow
-ish part. There's TONS of verticality, which is always a good thing in Souls.

The town area is another well laid out settlement type area, it really reminded me of the area before Ludwig in BB, with the rivers of blood. It's definately a short area with only a couple of troublesome enemies, but urgh what a troublesome enemy that one is!

I've yet to fight a boss but I feel like I've already explored a huge area. It's funny how an initial review or two can shape the prevailing view about something. From those first opinions I was expecting something far smaller than I what I've already seen, and again I've yet to fight a boss.

Q: Would you rather have a palette swap or gank squad-type boss so the DLC had an extra boss encounter, or would you rather they not do that kind of thing? (I say the latter).

Levyne

Banned
This DLC is not small. It might be a relatively short DLC, but the area itself is huge and feels like it goes through a lot of changes as you progess. Even though it's all the same snowy environment, the initally open area with wolves, hollows and the trees felt like a distant memory by the time I'd got to the
great hollow
-ish part. There's TONS of verticality, which is always a good thing in Souls.

The town area is another well laid out settlement type area, it really reminded me of the area before Ludwig in BB, with the rivers of blood. It's definately a short area with only a couple of troublesome enemies, but urgh what a troublesome enemy that one is!

I've yet to fight a boss but I feel like I've already explored a huge area. It's funny how an initial review or two can shape the prevailing view about something. From those first opinions I was expecting something far smaller than I what I've already seen, and again I've yet to fight a boss.

Q: Would you rather have a palette swap or gank squad-type boss so the DLC had an extra boss encounter, or would you rather they not do that kind of thing? (I say the latter).

You'll probably fight the two bosses back to back and then I wonder if your opinion changes at all. Like for instance, I was kinda expecting:

Reasonably Large Area ->Boss -> good size optional area -> Optional boss

Instead I got.

Reasonably Large Area ->Boss -> Optional Boss right after.

It ends abruptly and I think makes it feel small at the end.

myco666

So umm... I am lost. I have no idea where to go. Just beat
Champion
and have found
Earth Seeker
also.

Ferr986

I agree with you with the DLC not being as small as some people say, but I don't get this thinking. Even if it was a not very good addition, it was still more content to play. I'll rather have that than have nothing for sure.

Also, these small areas gave us one of the best DS2 bosses (Alonne).

Top Bottom