• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3: Ashes of Ariandel |OT|

Coda

What gesture do you do at the top of the cathedral where the painter is? And what does it do?

Or am I dumb and it's just people trolling me with their message haha.

Hikami

Alright so.. I'm pretty lost. Can't figure out how to get to the next boss.
(Already did
the boss at the bottom of the bridge.)

Last major thing I did was
find the path that led me under Ariandel Chapel to get the Pyromancy Flame thing..

Edzi

First phase of the final boss is so dumb and RNG.
She either stands there diddling herself eating a full stamina bar of attacks, or spams teleport.

You can dodge through all of her attacks. Also, she doesn't actually teleport, she turns invisible and jumps behind you. If you're far enough away from her and you follow the jump with your camera, you can see where she lands (there's a white snowy effect) and just walk up to her to punish.

Trace

Banned
so i fought
this cheap and horrible artorias\sif rip off, where do i go next ?? it's the only boss i killed

Alright so.. I'm pretty lost. Can't figure out how to get to the next boss.
(Already did
the boss at the bottom of the bridge.)

Last major thing I did was
find the path that led me under Ariandel Chapel to get the Pyromancy Flame thing..

Go to the other side of the bridge (not the chapel, other side), there should be a ladder down the side. Follow that. The other thing you might miss is a turnable wheel in the den of the fly things.

First phase of the final boss is so dumb and RNG.
She either stands there diddling herself eating a full stamina bar of attacks, or spams teleport.
She doesn't
teleport. She's just invisible,you can hear her footsteps in addition to anticipating her movements

Hikami

Go to the other side of the bridge (not the chapel, other side), there should be a ladder down the side. Follow that. The other thing you might miss is a turnable wheel in the den of the fly things.

That's the path that leads to the Village area right? I feel like I've explored all that already. Killed Vilhelm and the lady in the attic moved to the chapel. Found the shortcut elevator too and explored that area.

I thought the 2nd part was not as great. FROM just threw mobs upon mobs with bleeding mechanics to activate the final boss. There wasn't anything methodical about it. Either carry a torch or haul ass.

I should clarify that the level design gets much better, but I can definitely see how the mobs can get annoying and become a chore; I definitely felt that way at times.

Barakov

Finished it early this morning and it took me about 4 hours total. It was a pretty good ride. I'll probably go back in because there are some items I missed. It'll be interesting to what secrets there and what I missed.

Trace

Banned
That's the path that leads to the Village area right? I feel like I've explored all that already. Killed Vilhelm and the lady in the attic moved to the chapel. Found the shortcut elevator too and explored that area.

Have you done the cutscene that opens the secret area in the chapel?

BeeDog

Reached the final boss (and
didn't explore the optional area
yet) and called it quits for today. The DLC is alright I guess:

- The multitiered/vertical level design is great, but the tedious white environments and open fields became boring quite fast.
- I always hated some of the gimmicks like wolf ganking, fly ganking, etc. Really feels like they're running out of ideas badly.
- Quite poor and unrewarding item placement in general. This is supposed to be an endgame DLC, so please give me something better than Titanite shards.
- The crow ninjaz were the coolest enemies in the DLC, but it's also a shame they're reskinned skeleton ninjas from the base game.

Trace

Banned
Nope, haven't seen anything like that.

From the area with Vilhelm did you go outside the second floor and go off the roof to the right?

If I'm figuring out the wrong spot where you're stuck, have you been to the area under the chapel with a ton of the flies in it?

Hikami

From the area with Vilhelm did you go outside the second floor and go off the roof to the right?
Yeah that's where I'm at. I feel like I've explored the whole area there. Found the path that leads me underneath the chapel where all the bugs are but there wasn't a cutscene or anything.

Trace

Banned
Yeah that's where I'm at. I feel like I've explored the whole area there. Found the path that leads me underneath the chapel where all the bugs are but there wasn't a cutscene or anything.

Go down into the pit where all the bugs are, there's a usable wheel behind one of the pillars. That'll get you the cutscene.

So how is this compared to Old Hunters?

Not in the same league. New weapons aren't as interesting, it's not nearly as long and the bosses aren't as good.

Opa-Pa

So there's this scripted event right before the second bonfire that makes you fall from a cliff, but you can go back via an alternate path... The thing is that if you do, and then decide to keep going past that scripted event, if you jump down on your own, you die lmao. Good stuff.

eh, kind of. you can access it pretty early in the game. Not simple for a level 40 or 50, but this is dark souls we're talking about.

There's a message at the beginning that says you should have to at to at least finished Lothric Castle before tackling the DLC. I think From usually makes them accessible relatively early to not screw up people in NG+

TitusTroy

in the 2nd phase of the
Sister Friede
fight, who is better to target?...the big guy or the lady?...he seems easier to get behind and hit but what makes it tougher is that she seems to heal during the fight so I'm not sure who to target

MCD

in the 2nd phase of the
Sister Friede
fight, who is better to target?...the big guy or the lady?...he seems easier to get behind and hit but what makes it tougher is that she seems to heal during the fight so I'm not sure who to target

I say mix between the two.

I_D

Just finished it on NG+5 (with boss help).

I thought it was pretty cool, though a bit shorter than I'd hoped.

Those bosses, though, were super cool.

darksoulsiii2016-10-2qispg.jpg

xviper

killed the wolf\NPC boss and the father\daughter boss, anything left in this DLC ??
the Father\Daughter boss is pretty good, the other one i'd rank it in the worst bosses of all time

Beat it all today with a friend, really loved the final boss fight and the
scythe
you get with the boss soul is pretty cool for sure. Pretty happy overall with this dlc.

killed the wolf\NPC boss and the father\daughter boss, anything left in this DLC ??
the Father\Daughter boss is pretty good, the other one i'd rank it in the worst bosses of all time

Did you get all the weapons, armor and spells? There's also 2 Titanite slabs aside from the one you get for defeating the boss. Otherwise yes, that's all, now enjoy the PvP arena.

in the 2nd phase of the
Sister Friede

It seems that attacking the big guy is way more effective for lowering the HP bar, but you want to check what moves she's doing, she's pretty deadly.

xviper

Did you get all the weapons, armor and spells? There's also 2 Titanite slabs aside from the one you get for defeating the boss. Otherwise yes, that's all, now enjoy the PvP arena.

i'm not really a fan of collecting weapons\armor\spells, i just want to kill the bosses

where do i find the PVP Arena ? i doubt i will enjoy it since i already put 120+ hours on PVP in the base game and bored already, but i'll give it a try

i'm not really a fan of collecting weapons\armor\spells, i just want to kill the bosses

where do i find the PVP Arena ? i doubt i will enjoy it since i already put 120+ hours on PVP in the base game and bored already, but i'll give it a try

You get a key item for defeating the wolf and champion boss, burn it on the firelink bonfire and you'll have a new menu where you can access the arena

Hikami

Just finished the DLC.

I don't know why they keep thinking lots of enemies = challenging, it's just annoying.

So I first made me way to the optional boss and eh.. nothing too special about it. The arena looked great so it's a shame the boss for it wasn't that great. I liked the weapon he gives you though, used that for the majority of the DLC but switched to my Cathedral Knight Greatsword for bosses or tougher enemies. They could've made the wheel thing at the bottom of the chapel a bit more obvious I think, completely missed it and it seems like I'm not the only one. Only got stuck at that part.

Running it through my head again.. I can't really think of anything memorable from this besides the area you fight the optional boss in (it was beautiful) and the final boss fight.

As for the final boss, 3 phases and a bunch of annoying gimmicks..? come on now. It was fairly easy once you got the combos down and Friede could be parried/backstabbed easily.
I love the Scythe you get from Friede's soul though. It feels like a Bloodborne trick weapon. Which makes sense since the boss felt like something more suited for Bloodborne.. Now that I think about it that was just Icy Maria + crippled Laurence

Hope the second DLC is better. I look forward to using the scythe there.

I'd say it's my least favorite DLC in the series. Can't say I loved it like I did the others, this one's just a very weak "liked it" I guess.

JerkShep

I have conflicting thoughts on the DLC. I liked it more than I thought I would, the area itself is good and the story works surprisingly well considering how little interactions and "lore" is there. The final boss fight was really good but it was on the easier side of things. Admittedly, I was a bit overlevelled for NG+ (SL150-ish) but spread evenly across the boards, never used magic and had comparatively low HPs. The new weapons seems very interesting.

But there are a pletora of problem that are really weird
- Items placement makes no sense for what's supposed to be a late game area (developer messages in game say that you should have reached Upper Lothric), I found one Titanite Chunk in all the Painted World, wtf
- Weird bonfires placement and shortcuts: people already mentioned it, but there's an infamous point where you probably unlock 5 shortcuts to the same bonfire in the span of 10 minutes. In the same way I unlocked four bonfires in my first 30 minutes of game and another soon after with the death of the optional boss. It seems to me there was supposed to be a lot more in between and somehow things were cut.
- Enemy variety is great but some of the more interesting enemies are used only in a couple of instances and for most of the time you're facing lame ganking squads of wolves, insects, or followers.
- It's probably the shortest Souls DLC even without considering the coop areas in DaS2
- Last but not the least, the optional boss is garbage. It's almost on the same level of the bosses of the coop areas in 2. Ancient Wyvern has a new rival for worst boss of the game. Even lore-wise if felt really tacked on and that arena is wasted for this trash. This is not even close to something like Sanctuary Guardian, Laurence, Alonne or hell I would even say Living Failures.

I'm intrigued by the possibilities left open for the second DLC but as it stands, Ashes of Ariandel seems a low effort job by From and it saddens me a bit considering the quality of all the other pieces of downloadable content they released so far.

Derpot

About the lore, I was quite surprised to learn a bit more about
Sulyvahn, who was born and raised in the painted world. Is his "aversion" to the Fire due to the influence of Sister Friede who convinced Ariandel to embrace the rot? I don't know, I just thought about it.
I wonder if there will be more because that character is pretty important in DS3 story.

So very confused on deciding if its a good dlc. Quality wise -amazing. But it was basically pull this lever for the last boss. Also reusing the cut the bridge for optional boss area idea, not to mention there's basically no exploring on the path towards the optional boss. To be frank it felt somewhat linear compared to froms other level designs. I still love from for all their work though. My battered-wife syndrom is practically real at this point.

Celeras

Banned
A little short I think, but the boss fight was fantastic. Solid learning curve and plenty difficult (NG+4, SL105).

A tough sell value wise if you don't care about the PvP additions but I'll pretty much buy all Souls content regardless.

Ame

So where is the Pvp Arena?

You have to beat the optional boss in the DLC. Once you defeat him you get an item (Champion's Bones) to burn at the shrine bonfire. Now you can access the PvP area, but only at the shrine bonfire.

Top Bottom