• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3: Ashes of Ariandel |OT|

Opa-Pa

My first "true" opponent of the DLC. Dude destroyed me twice before I could get a read on his moves. His rush attack is one of the most brutal I've seen on a normal Souls enemy.

They really are relentless. I thought I was going to finish the DLC in one sitting, but after unlocking a shortcut to a bonfire where there are many of these around I had to call it a day.

Nose Master

Finished it. Was fine. Final boss was excellent, the other boss was hilariously bad. Areas were meh, just kind of pooped an army of enemies in every zone and called it a day.

Hypron

Those
bipedal crow dudes with the claws
are so cool!

They do so much damage though haha

I'm on NG++ or +++ (don't remember exactly I haven't played the PS4 version since launch), my character has a ton of health but a few of their attacks kill me in one hit haha

Alo0oy

Banned
Man, the boss was fucking amazing. Too bad it was too fucking easy. Still loved the fight. Felt like a mix of Lady Maria and Ludwig.

Why does Freide have no poise whatsoever? And why can she backstabbed so easily?

Tarkus

Yikes! The game crashed trying to connect to my first undead match.

1 hr in and really enjoying so far.

Hikami

It's a shame you don't get the
scythe
til the end. Would've liked to go through the DLC with it.

Really missing bonfire ascetics from DS2 now. I could've just re-done the DLC in NG+ instead of having to go through all the other stuff to get there again.

ElFly

man, the snowy places get old faster than in skyrim

the geometric design of the level is good, great in some places, but honestly the monochrome environments kill it

Alo0oy

Banned
The Onyx Blade weapon art being a fire buff is so fucking stupid. First of all, it doesn't look like fire, second of all, after the buff the weapon goes through 3 separate defenses, meaning the buff adds absolutely no damage.

d00d3n

My first "true" opponent of the DLC. Dude destroyed me twice before I could get a read on his moves. His rush attack is one of the most brutal I've seen on a normal Souls enemy.

Do you get anything for killing two of these in close proximity inside the church btw? Besides the two items that you can easily get with suicide tactics, that is.

Alo0oy

Banned
Do you get anything for killing two of these in close proximity inside the church btw? Besides the two items that you can easily get with suicide tactics, that is.

No. They don't even drop chunks. If you're lucky, they'll drop large titanite shards lol.

Coda

I think we all kind of expected more from this DLC but I think if this was just any area in the main game we'd be totally cool with it. Personally I enjoyed it even though it has it's faults. Love the Valorheart weapon thought, decided to fully reinforce it and I love that it's a weapon with a shield and stance component built it. I bet the final DLC will be better and From Software is saving it for last probably.

Alo0oy

Banned
I think we all kind of expected more from this DLC but I think if this was just any area in the main game we'd be totally cool with it. Personally I enjoyed it even though it has it's faults. Love the Valorheart weapon thought, decided to fully reinforce it and I love that it's a weapon with a shield and stance component built it. I bet the final DLC will be better and From Software is saving it for last probably.

It's waaay better than any area in the game, easily. Significantly larger too, probably the equivalent of 3 areas.

d00d3n

No. They don't even drop chunks. If you're lucky, they'll drop large titanite shards lol.

Lol, would be so anticlimactic to undertake that battle and get nothing. It is the same unfairness as the dual monsters guarding the aldrich covenant, so you should at least get a ring of favor-sized reward for your troubles.

Lol, would be so anticlimactic to undertake that battle and get nothing. It is the same unfairness as the dual monsters guarding the aldrich covenant, so you should at least get a ring of favor-sized reward for your troubles.

The fight is pretty easy if you
run outside, climb up the ladder right next to the door, then take them on one by one. You can even get a cheap hit in by doing a drop attack then wailing away. The claw creature just stupidly waited outside for me while the other reset

d00d3n

The fight is pretty easy if you
run outside, climb up the ladder right next to the door, then take them on one by one. You can even get a cheap hit in by doing a drop attack then wailing away. The claw creature just stupidly waited outside for me while the other reset

Good idea! Was too scared to experiment with that encounter. I grabbed the two items with suicide tactics and went on my way ...

It's waaay better than any area in the game, easily. Significantly larger too, probably the equivalent of 3 areas.

Haven't gotten it yet, but you think this is best area in the game? That should make this DLC a huge positive for me. I don't care if it's only a few hours if it's some of the best content in the game...

JackelZXA

It seems like, content-wise, that it's equivalent to Archdragon Peak from the main game. (A big area with a shitty boss and an awesome top tier end boss) But I guess BIG SPOILER:
there's an npc asking for the Dark Soul of Man so she can finish her new painting
, I wonder if beating BOTH dlc's will unlock a super awesome ultra boss. That'd be an awesome reward to people who bought both.

Haven't gotten it yet, but you think this is best area in the game? That should make this DLC a huge positive for me. I don't care if it's only a few hours if it's some of the best content in the game...

I don't think it is, but that's clearly subjective. It's worth playing just to get more Souls content, regardless.

Alo0oy

Banned

It is by far the best area in Dark Souls 3 IMO, I don't think it's fair comparing it to The Old Hunters because that's an impossible standard to live up to. If you like a massive intricate level that is as large as 3 levels from the main game, you'd love the DLC.

It's not very challenging though, so if you want to be challenged, go below the recommended level (I feel like the recommended level is BS made up by Bamco, 70-80 is way too high).

d00d3n

It seems like, content-wise, that it's equivalent to Archdragon Peak from the main game. (A big area with a shitty boss and an awesome top tier end boss) But I guess BIG SPOILER:
there's an npc asking for the Dark Soul of Man so she can finish her new painting
, I wonder if beating BOTH dlc's will unlock a super awesome ultra boss. That'd be an awesome reward to people who bought both.

The area is much larger than that imo.

I can't think of a level from the main game that is better. Atmospherically, maybe Untended Graves is better.

I'd say I enjoyed Irithyll (even with my conflicted feelings over the dungeon) and Cathedral of the Deep more than the DLC area, definitely.

KLoWn

Phew, just beat
Sister Friede
, goddamn what a fight. It's probably my favourite in DS3.

I haven't found the other boss yet, so here's hoping it's as good.

Phew, just beat
Sister Friede
, goddamn what a fight. It's probably my favourite in DS3.

I haven't found the other boss yet, so here's hoping it's as good.

Don't get your hopes up, especially after having just experienced that particular boss fight.

gaugebozo

Why is there a message behind Friede that says, "stay calm and then Ahhh, like a dream..." that has 2982 appraisals already? Any ideas?

Sawneeks

Banned
Where do I go to find the 'optional'
soldier/wolf boss?
?

Already beat
the Father/Daughter duo but I'm not sure where to go.

Where do I go to find the 'optional'
soldier/wolf boss?
?

Already beat
the Father/Daughter duo but I'm not sure where to go.

Strike the bridge from the side of the cathedral, then climb down it once it snaps, and you'll arrive at a new location
. Finding the boss from there is pretty straightforward.

jb1234

I fucking hate
Friede. I hate her cheap-ass "I'm going to go invisible and then stab you in the back" mode. I hate her streams of ice that explode. I hate her fucking father. And oh boy, do I HATE her in her final phase.
I should just summon to get this over with because I'm getting bored fighting her over and over again but I've only had to summon once in a Souls game (Orphan) and I don't intend on having to do it twice.

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
Really disappointed with this DLC. I'm not usually one to say "this isn't worth the money I paid for it", but in this case I actually do feel that way. I'm playing it on NG++ and that's pretty much the only reason it has given me any challenge whatsoever. It's very short and easy, and if I played on my NG character I would've finished it even faster and with fewer challenges. The loot was almost universally garbage, the only welcome things being the new items. The level design just feels really lacking, quite a bit of it feels like they used some world generation tool, kept it mostly as-is, and then filled it out by dumping a bunch of randomly placed packs of enemies in it. I do like it when you get to the
Corvian Settlement
but that's a pretty short area. Still, it was the most well designed part of the areas, the only one I really enjoyed exploring. A big problem is that they just repeatedly make these huge open areas that are pretty meandering and empty, never really feeling like the open space has a design purpose other than lazy level design. It's all fundamentally very linear, so it just makes me wonder what the point of pseudo-open world even was.

The bosses... one's literally just an aggroed NPC, two normal enemies, and a mini-boss all in a pack with one of them staggered to show up later on. The other is From taking the worst lessons possible from Smough and Ornstein. A big part of the reason why Smough and Ornstein works is that it's an "unfair" fight where you have to fight against crazy odds... but you can surpass them because of the environment around you. The pillars in the room are central to the boss fight, they're your only line of defense and you have to utilize them effectively to survive the odds stacked against you. The Friede and Father fight doesn't give you that. It's just a big open area that they pump full of obnoxious wide-reaching AOE attacks. Plus, I gotta call bullshit on
the fake-out third phase. They used the titanite slab to make it appear like you won, all in the hopes that you'd sit there and get killed and have to redo it. Worse, you have to redo it from the beginning even though it'd make sense to treat that like Gehrman/Moon Presence or Throne Watcher&Defender/Nashandra/Aldia, where you can resume from that as a new boss fight.
All it amounted to, really, was an annoying moment where I got killed due to Dark Souls pulling a trick it's literally never done in 5 complete games and 5 prior DLC packs, and then I had to go back and waste my time starting from the beginning where I win this time because I know the trick is coming.

It just feels like they designed this as an afterthought, with their primary thought process being "how can we make this cinematic and cool" without giving any thought to the gameplay. I just didn't enjoy this DLC, I never really found myself having fun with these levels. I pretty much stomped this on NG++ but I didn't feel any satisfaction in that, I don't feel like I really accomplished anything other than beating a surprisingly long and unfair but still quite easy Dark Souls boss fight. I can't even imagine how much easier it would've been on NG. At least the new items are cool, I'm definitely excited to do a Javelin run in the future, but $15 for a new weapon pack combined with a mediocre level is not worth it to me.

leehom

Anyone help out a fellow gaf? I'm level 50 and find it extremely difficult to find people to summon and help me clear the new DLC.

Grisby

So I'm a bit stuck. (end spoilers I guess)The
little girl whose painting wants to see fire, but every fire thing I equip does nothing.

You could argue this would have been more appropriately priced at $10 USD but the actual content is solid. I was braced for something awful after reading some impressions here but this wasn't bad by any stretch. We'll see if the $25 price tag for both was justified after DLC 2.

As for the actual areas, I thought the
small village area was great. Felt like a mix of Fishing Hamlet from Old hunters and Undead Settlement.

The
Onyx Blade
is actually pretty good for my pyro build but it is a step down from the moonlight greatsword for damage.
The Onyx Blade weapon art being a fire buff is so fucking stupid. First of all, it doesn't look like fire, second of all, after the buff the weapon goes through 3 separate defenses, meaning the buff adds absolutely no damage.
It is dark damage, not fire. Same as the black fire orb.

What is your build? I'm definitely getting extra damage, an extra 90ish on the mobs
in the forest area
. It also makes it much easier to stagger

BizzyBum

Oh cool, just found out this game doesn't have Steam Cloud support. =(

Now I have to connect my old PC and transfer the saves.

#firstworldproblems

Tiops

Elsa and her dad are the hardest boss fight in the series to me. Never died so much to a boss, including Bloodborne DLC.

Top Bottom