• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3: Ashes of Ariandel |OT|

Alo0oy

Banned
The
Onyx Blade
is actually pretty good for my pyro build but it is a step down from the moonlight greatsword for damage.
It is dark damage, not fire. Same as the black fire orb.

What is your build? I'm definitely getting extra damage, an extra 90ish on the mobs
in the forest area
. It also makes it much easier to stagger

I'm pretty sure the buff adds fire damage, I tried using it on enemies that are weak to fire, and it's definitely fire. The extra damage probably depends on the enemy's resistances, but any weapon going through 3 defenses will gimp you on PvP.

I'm pretty sure the buff adds fire damage, I tried using it on enemies that are weak to fire, and it's definitely fire. The extra damage probably depends on the enemy's resistances, but any weapon going through 3 defenses will gimp you on PvP.
The extra stagger (and the black flame) is exactly like the black fire orb. The blade itself does dark according to the stats screen

If it is doing fire damage, it must be Chaos i.e. scaling with faith/int because I'm definitely seeing a damage increase on my pyro build.

Alo0oy

Banned
The extra stagger (and the black flame) is exactly like the black fire orb. The blade itself does dark according to the stats screen

If it is doing fire damage, it must be Chaos i.e. scaling with faith/int because I'm definitely seeing a damage increase on my pyro build.

Yeah, the scaling doesn't change, unbuffed you get a "dark infusion" effect on struck enemies, when you buff it, you get a fire effect. I'm not concerned about the scaling, since both Dark & Fire scale the same, I'm concerned about 3 separate damage types going through 3 separate defenses, making the buff easily mitigated.

TitusTroy

what the hell?...I finally
beat both stages of Sister Freide and now there's a 3rd fucking stage??
...ridiculous...the first 2 parts already made me spend most of my Estus and wore me out...Part 3 seems even harder then the first 2 also...this fight is too hard

KLoWn

Found the other boss (
Graveyard person & Wolf
), killed 'em first try. Pretty bummed lol. If I could go back I would've killed this boss first, since after the awesome last boss this felt kinda meh.

Overall I liked the DLC, kinda short, but I already knew that going in.

Well that was short, but I did enjoy every second of it so I don't have many complaints here. The last boss reminded me of
Lady Maria from Bloodborne
quite a bit, and
it having three phases was a surprise, haha
. A good experience overall, I just wish it had lasted longer. Can't wait for the next DLC next year :)

...ridiculous...the first 2 parts already made me spend most of my Estus and wore me out...Part 3 seems even harder then the first 2 also...this fight is too hard

Using
range/a bow is very effective during the second phase.
It may help you save Estuses.

KLoWn

I just want to say how much I love to have the bonfire right outside the boss room. FUCK running through half the area just to get back. Fuck it hard.

The first two phases go by pretty fast once you've gotten the hang of it, and you can probably get by by just using 1-2 estus sips max (if any) when you've learned their movements.
Also, hit the big fucker in the ass when he starts blowing fire everywhere, he takes a lot of damage.

Roussow

Overall I quite enjoyed the dlc, my only criticism is its slightness, although it's totally worth it for that boss fight. How's everyone enjoying the arena? It a decent avenue for those who want to dabble in pvp without getting super invested in the meta?

TitusTroy

The first two phases go by pretty fast once you've gotten the hang of it, and you can probably get by by just using 1-2 estus sips max (if any) when you've learned their movements.
Also, hit the big fucker in the ass when he starts blowing fire everywhere, he takes a lot of damage.

is Phase 3 about the same difficulty as Stage 1?...I found stage 1 really easy but Stage 3 seems much harder...seems like it's all about conserving Estus for stage 3

Gbraga

The boss fight was amazing, really loved it. Up there with my favorites in the game, possibly number one, but I need to do it more times.

The optional boss was... weak? I like the idea, actually, but a riposte deals so much damage that it was a joke. Is the soundtrack up on youtube already? I honestly don't really know what the theme for that boss sounds like, didn't have time. They should buff the optional boss, for sure.

KLoWn

Can you do/give anything to the little girl when you've killed both bosses?

is Phase 3 about the same difficulty as Stage 1?...I found stage 1 really easy but Stage 3 seems much harder...seems like it's all about conserving Estus for stage 3
It's somewhat harder, but just as the other phases, once you've learned her attack patterns she becomes pretty easy. But even if I say that I died a few times because I panicked when she rushed me lol.

tesqui

I need help! (late DLC spoilers) I just opened the shortcut back to the
Ariandel Chapel.
I go talk to
Friede and she tells me to stay away.
I thought she was supposed to open up the passage to the boss fight?

Robot Pants

Last boss is definite pain in the ass but still nothing compared to orphan of kos.

As a melee character for the final boss, good god. The window to attack is so small.

Overall I really liked it. However I really wish this DLC had touched on the Sable Church of Londor, because I'm very interested in that.
Two missing parts of the puzzle from the main game were Londor and Gertrude. I was hoping each DLC would touch on those subjects instead of Ariandel. Ariandel seems like a waste.

Here's to hoping the next DLC is massive and covers both subjects.

Also this song better appear in the next DLC or it's one of biggest wastes in video game history: https://youtu.be/WTjDsaT64HY

GonzoCR

Ariandel Chapel.
I go talk to

In the
basement full of those insect-things, there's a device you need to activate

KLoWn

Ariandel Chapel.
I go talk to
Nvm. Read it wrong.

Gbraga

Can you do/give anything to the little girl when you've killed both bosses?

She has some extra dialogue, but no item as far as I know. Even killed her to see what happens after finishing the DLC. Kinda disappointed no NPC dropped anything.

Coda

Did my first 3v3 match and won! It was more fun that I was expecting! Plus damn the Crow Talons are amazing and I already +10'ed them. They're beast now.

Wolverine would be proud...

giphy.gif

Veelk

Banned
Okay, I managed to get to the final boss before calling it a night. Will finish up the DLC tomorrow, but
I tried for like half an hour to beat her and no dice.

Let me just say that I am not a fan of sequential bosses like this, and I am DEFINITELY not a fan of 2 on 1 fights unless their done really, really well. And I don't think Sister Friede and Big Daddy qualify. Either one of them are way too lethal to not keep an eye on at all times, but Freide moves way too fast to keep an eye on both of them. I did manage to beat them once, but then Blackflame Freide slaughtered me in the third round. I don't think I've ever actually used up all 15 of my flasks now that I have them fully upgraded, but it was like critical hit -> heal -> critical hit like 8 times in a row.

I love the fight when it's just Freide and me alone even if her disappear move is annoying as all hell, but it just gets stupid once Daddy joins the fight.

Gbraga

Overall I really liked it. However I really wish this DLC had touched on the Sable Church of Londor, because I'm very interested in that.
Two missing parts of the puzzle from the main game were Londor and Gertrude. I was hoping each DLC would touch on those subjects instead of Ariandel. Ariandel seems like a waste.

It kinda does, though? It's not major, but that's natural for how little stuff we have in this DLC. Yuria even gets new dialogue after you finish it.

You even get to fight the eldest sister.

Given how Miyazaki said there's some story continuation between the DLCs, but just the fact that they can be purchased separately means they can't make it so you access the second through the first, I'd even say that Londor is even more likely now. But you never know...

I don't think Ariandel was a waste at all, it brought a lot of interesting discussion to the table. Sulyvahn's origin, and possibly the reason why Outrider Knights use frost weapons, and seem to be the only who have them. The iterative design of the Painted World, and the cycle of rot and fire that seems to be going on. As the world rots, it seems like the inhabitants get a bit less kind. It can definitely be seen as some insight into the infamous line from Priscilla, imo. Then you have the Farron Followers, some sort of "who watches the abyss watchers" stuff, and their presence along with Millwood Knights may be indicative to what happened to their land that made them flee. They were sworn enemies to the Abyss Dragon, the Farron Undead Legion deals with the spread of the abyss, it doesn't seem that far fetched that maybe they were driven out of their home by the Abyss Watchers themselves, fighting the spread of the Abyss at any cost, even if there was some sort of stable relationship between Millwood and the Abyss. Even though they faced the Dragon, they still lived there just fine.

I don't know, there's a lot to talk about, imo, even though there isn't a lot of content.

I hope they'll give us some hint as to
what happened to Priscilla
in the next one :p

There was even a mention
of aureoles in the Way of White Corona's description, that could be a hint to more angel stuff to come in the next one.

There's also the small bit of lore behind the arena, with undead using the fights to keep their sanity, to have a purpose, but that's just flavor text.

Jeez this DLC is tough.

Wolfies hunt in packs, and big wolfie is aggressive af, then the knights in the ruin area are bulky as.

Are you able to sneak past the wolves? Died against the third knight and cbf getting back.

Gbraga

Jeez this DLC is tough.

Wolfies hunt in packs, and big wolfie is aggressive af, then the knights in the ruin area are bulky as.

Are you able to sneak past the wolves? Died against the third knight and cbf getting back.

Just run, they'll give up on you very quickly. By the time you reach the ruins, you'll be alone. And if for some reason they chase you all the way, get to the ruins, quit and load. The enemy positions will be reset, and you'll be good to go.

Just run, they'll give up on you very quickly. By the time you reach the ruins, you'll be alone. And if for some reason they chase you all the way, get to the ruins, quit and load. The enemy positions will be reset, and you'll be good to go.

Neat.

Went behind the tower, turned around and a knight had chased me, tried to roll past and fell off the edge. RIP

Its been a while since I felt pity on my enemies the Dark Souls 1
Infested Crows
are a hit of nostalgia for me

The DLC is so cheesy you can easily run past everything without any pentalty, unless you want to get that shiny item over there then the real Dark Souls starts.

Robot Pants

It kinda does, though? It's not major, but that's natural for how little stuff we have in this DLC. Yuria even gets new dialogue after you finish it.

You even get to fight the eldest sister.

Given how Miyazaki said there's some story continuation between the DLCs, but just the fact that they can be purchased separately means they can't make it so you access the second through the first, I'd even say that Londor is even more likely now. But you never know...

I don't think Ariandel was a waste at all, it brought a lot of interesting discussion to the table. Sulyvahn's origin, and possibly the reason why Outrider Knights use frost weapons, and seem to be the only who have them. The iterative design of the Painted World, and the cycle of rot and fire that seems to be going on. As the world rots, it seems like the inhabitants get a bit less kind. It can definitely be seen as some insight into the infamous line from Priscilla, imo. Then you have the Farron Followers, some sort of "who watches the abyss watchers" stuff, and their presence along with Millwood Knights may be indicative to what happened to their land that made them flee. They were sworn enemies to the Abyss Dragon, the Farron Undead Legion deals with the spread of the abyss, it doesn't seem that far fetched that maybe they were driven out of their home by the Abyss Watchers themselves, fighting the spread of the Abyss at any cost, even if there was some sort of stable relationship between Millwood and the Abyss. Even though they faced the Dragon, they still lived there just fine.

I don't know, there's a lot to talk about, imo, even though there isn't a lot of content.

I hope they'll give us some hint as to
what happened to Priscilla
in the next one :p

There was even a mention
of aureoles in the Way of White Corona's description, that could be a hint to more angel stuff to come in the next one.

There's also the small bit of lore behind the arena, with undead using the fights to keep their sanity, to have a purpose, but that's just flavor text.
It's funny cause right after I posted, I started reading item descriptions.
Foot. Mouth.

Pejo

Gold Member
Undead Match is amazing, just started playing matches tonight. So much fun!

Is this the new PVP? How the hell do you access it? I looked around all over and could only see a Colosseum from the bridge.

Also, (weapon spoiler)
I don't even care if I'm an edgelord, those fucking dual scythes are instant main weapon tier. I was already using Great Corvian scythe, but that special moveset, fuuuuck, so cool - and the stance. Only thing that would have been better is if you got that stance where she runs the handle of the scythe down her arms.

Tingle

Is this the new PVP? How the hell do you access it? I looked around all over and could only see a Colosseum from the bridge.

Also, (weapon spoiler)
I don't even care if I'm an edgelord, those fucking dual scythes are instant main weapon tier. I was already using Great Corvian scythe, but that special moveset, fuuuuck, so cool - and the stance. Only thing that would have been better is if you got that stance where she runs the handle of the scythe down her arms.

To get to the arena
you need to beat the hidden boss, which can be accessed by breaking the bridge leading to the cathedral, then climbing down it.

And all of the new weapons are great. I've been toying with both of the new Corvian Knight weapons, and am loving both. The claws seem good, but the reaper/claw combo seems a bit weak, even at +10. The throw attack does basically nothing, ~20-40 damage, but its fun anyway.

Copper

Finished it today! I really enjoyed it and will be playing PvP and experimenting with some builds. I really like that they have incorporated menu driven PvP interface setups. I hope to see more arenas added in the future. It makes matchups like 3 v 3 teams possible which is really cool. Although I wish there was a way to view how I did compares to everyone else on the team. It only shows the top player. Magic builds are actually really useful in the brawl and team matchups.

As far as the actual DLC content, I feel that a lot of people's enjoyment will vary depending on how they experience/ explore it. Highly wouldn't recommend going in under leveled. You'll definitely want max estus. I ran though at SL 75 and it seemed just right.

I need Lady Maria/ Sister Frede fan art now

Last boss thoughts:
Probably one of the coolest fights I've played in a souls game. The first phase forcing you to listen carefully to predict her movements was awesome. I'm glad they didn't just make her Pracilla 2.0. The dynamics; especially those Arial strikes were so fun to watch. Normally I'd be put off by a 3 phase fight, but since it was so close to the bonfire I didn't mind at all.

I realize the DLC is a little on the short side but I'll wait until the second part comes to make any final judgments on the game.

I think it was a smart move by From to release this now with the PvP update to keep the community active.

Nose Master

Not that bad, really.

She doesn't really do much of anything during phase two, and he speeds off away from her constantly. Don't lock on, and just keep an eye on her when she spams the ice line aoe. I only hit her when she attempts to heal and when the big guy is diddling around and she's actually attacking me, which is super rare in the second phase. You can go ham on chair-butt, he can't hit the broad side of a barn outside of blowing on his soup and when he pours it on his face.

knitoe

Ok the boss is cool at first but now it's just starting to get on my nerves. It's way too fucking long.

Yeah. The 1-2 part is easy. Just takes to long to get to the next phase. Even FROM knows it, and that's probably why the bonfire is right by the fog door. The 3rd part with the boss having unlimited stamina, constantly spamming attacks and giving you little time to counter. Those bosses are just cheese and I hate them.

So far I dont really like the world design, the first part is practically a a copy paste of Oolacile from Dark Souls 1 DLC.

The forest part is just ....not really interesting , worthless loot and mostly traps.

The town is really something else, because you "met" that place before in
DS1

My main complain is like the cant do something new without relying on the old stuff, at least Dark Souls 2 went on its own mythology of getting the crowns this one is just clueless of what do to

Jombie

I honestly don't know if I have the patience to deal with the final boss. It's the opposite of everything I enjoy about Souls bosses. It's gratuitous.

Astral

I honestly don't know if I have the patience to deal with the final boss. It's the opposite of everything I enjoy about Souls bosses. It's gratuitous.

It's that second phase that fucking ruins it. It could've been such a cool battle if that was completely omitted.

Top Bottom