• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prototype 2 |OT| There's a Prototype 2?

clemenx

Banned
Oh hey. I would've bought this if it was day 1 for PC. 3 months later I'll be showing you the middle finger, Activision.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
A little game by Sucker Punch came out around the same time and it was much much better.

Really? I don't remember any game by Sucker Punch that let me run up buildings, super jump around, toss guys in the air, let me have quick 5 minute beat-em-up sections when I wanted to before going back and jumping and gliding around the city in a crazy platformer kind of way.
I most certainly don't remember any Sucker Punch game doing that better than Prototype. If I'm wrong, please tell me so I can go to the store right now and buy it.

d0c_zaius, how does it feel for that kind of thing? Just running around, jumping between buildings, etc? Can I still get from one side of the open city to the other without ever touching pavement?

Unicorn

So, does this have the multiplayer that the first one was supposed to have, but they cut even though they had an additional 6 months for the game, then promised it would be in the sequel. Well, here's the sequel and I haven't heard any mention of co-op or multi...

d0c_zaius

Really? I don't remember any game by Sucker Punch that let me run up buildings, super jump around, toss guys in the air, let me have quick 5 minute beat-em-up sections when I wanted to before going back and jumping and gliding around the city in a crazy platformer kind of way.
I most certainly don't remember any Sucker Punch game doing that better than Prototype. If I'm wrong, please tell me so I can go to the store right now and buy it.

d0c_zaius, how does it feel for that kind of thing? Just running around, jumping between buildings, etc? Can I still get from one side of the open city to the other without ever touching pavement?

you will be satisfied by the movement, except for moments where the camera works against you. stopping on a dime or landing on a specific spot is also pretty annoying with the way the glide handles, but its not a new problem.

I'm not sure if it was in P1, but I remember in Hulk you could hold down jump to prime a large jump while in the air, and it seems there is no jump charging anymore. You still have the movement basics but now they can be upgraded with mutations. There is no more xp for unlocking moves, its all done with collectable sets and missions. Unfortunately it looks like a lot of the "cool" moves were removed and now everything is just for a utility or purpose (sad to see no more flying elbow drop). Running, gliding and building hopping is the same though and it feels great.

I agree as well, while INfamous visually was more polished, the gameplay for Prototype ran circles around throwing grenades and plasma bolts. If infamous is a weird open world third person shooter, P2 is definitely a melee focused open world action game with options (vehicles and weapons).

Unfortunately there is very little that is new here that wasn't done to death in P1.

So, does this have the multiplayer that the first one was supposed to have, but they cut even though they had an additional 6 months for the game, then promised it would be in the sequel. Well, here's the sequel and I haven't heard any mention of co-op or multi...

of course it doesn't.

Unicorn

you will be satisfied by the movement, except for moments where the camera works against you. stopping on a dime or landing on a specific spot is also pretty annoying with the way the glide handles, but its not a new problem.

I'm not sure if it was in P1, but I remember in Hulk you could hold down jump to prime a large jump while in the air, and it seems there is no jump charging anymore. You still have the movement basics but now they can be upgraded with mutations. There is no more xp for unlocking moves, its all done with collectable sets and missions. Unfortunately it looks like a lot of the "cool" moves were removed and now everything is just for a utility or purpose (sad to see no more flying elbow drop). Running, gliding and building hopping is the same though and it feels great.

I agree as well, while INfamous visually was more polished, the gameplay for Prototype ran circles around throwing grenades and plasma bolts. If infamous is a weird open world third person shooter, P2 is definitely a melee focused open world action game with options (vehicles and weapons).

Unfortunately there is very little that is new here that wasn't done to death in P1.
This is super sad news. The best thing about prototype and Hulk was the chargability of every action. (Yeah, you could prime the next jump while airborne in P1 just like in Hulk). The removal of different attacks is abhorrent as well. It already had less interactions than Hulk did, but dialing it back further... WTF Activision/Radical (whoever made these decisions).

Overall, I enjoyed InFamous more than Prototype. However, I can't deny the ridiculousness of prototype that kept me coming back. With that said, I didn't buy the first one and I certainly am not buying this one. I for one shall be the savy consumer and rent this.

And yes, totally blindsided by the fact that this game is coming out already. The marketing department needs to step it up outside of a live action trailer once in a blue moon on television with a glimpse of a release date at the end.

Gileadxv

Banned
This is one of those cases where I believe the game would gather more traction if the DLC was free to those who purchase the game new, rather than typical paid content. A game like this really needs the "wow!" factor of spectacular absurdity of power, and at first glance it seems that this aspect is at the mercy of micro transactions, which may pay off short term by capitalizing on those who have been following the game, but at the expense of long term sales due to the wasted potential for word of mouth.

But, then again, I'm no analyst, so what do I know! I purchased the first game and enjoyed it, although some of the boss fights felt cheap, and it had worn out its welcome by the time the credits rolled (hence forth known as the "Kingdom's of Amalur: The Reckoning" syndrome). I don't have my 360 anymore, so I'll likely wait for a super sale on Steam.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Just saw some Prototype 2 ads all over DC (yes dccomics.com) and other comic news/reviews sites.

That actually very smart,Activision might do stupid things sometimes but they know how to do marketing for sure.

Still think Prototype was the better game. IMO Infamous mostly got better press because it had more polish, and it was a an exclusive.

Exclusivity has nothing to do here, Infamous 1 was the superior game in everything from the gameplay to the city to the story and the cast and everything.

However infamous "exclusivity" and the fans war between infamous 1 and Prototype did actually pushed Prototype 1 sales numbers since people got it as the only available alternative,I think if Infamous was multiplat no one will ever care about Prototype at all.

Vorg

Banned
Exclusivity has nothing to do here, Infamous 1 was the superior game in everything from the gameplay to the city to the story and the cast and everything.

However infamous "exclusivity" and the fans war between infamous 1 and Prototype did actually pushed Prototype 1 sales numbers since people got it as the only available alternative,I think if Infamous was multiplat no one will ever care about Prototype at all.

Well, Infamous (one) is just as repetitive as Prototype. It's a lot more polished but I honestly don't know if it's the better game. At least in Prototype you don't feel weak the whole time.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
Just an FYI, I will be purchasing this game tomorrow to give some impressions for those who still care, or for those that are on the fence.

d0c_zaius

You thought Zeke and Cole were appealing characters?

um, ok I guess.

but gameplay? no way. One game has moves designed around doing crazy shit in an open world (directly based on the amazing Hulk game), and the other is Sly Cooper with third person shooting mechanics forced into a super hero gimmick. Of course this preference is subjective, hence Prototype vs INFamous for ever and ever.

Both main characters are unappealing/unlikable and a bore to follow. It's a shame that Radical thought they could fix that in P2 by adding a super rage head that throws out random catchy phrases that feel totally forced and out of place.
how can you not roll your eyes when he says hes going to skullfuck someone?
. While playing, I spent most of my time as a bad guy or random dude so I guess it doesn't matter, but it did make all dialogue laughable. It would have been cool to have it like Saints Row, where I can make a character and pick from vocal tracks. The compelling thing that had me finish this game fast was upgrading, but even then I would have liked to have the old system and all the extra moves back.

I'm still hoping Radical get contracted to make a super hero game (or fuck it just do Hulk again), or find some creative direction. They also need to update/scrap their engine and approach next gen fresh (but keep the gameplay), if they survive this bomba..........:(. Because even though the game has faults and is very unimpressive, the (Hulk: UD) gameplay is the best representation of what a super hero game can be.

oh I have to say I really enjoyed the
new weapon
and the way some of the combat mechanics are refined. It's worth noting that while the main story has limited mission types (almost feels like Assasins Creed 1) it is because other missions are locked away in the city until certain dates, which is cool I guess but also very annoying. If these were open at the start, I would have had more time during the main game as well as added more variety.

inFAMOUS had way more thought put into it as a game rather than it being a boring gore simulator structured around missions. I guess your preference depends on whether you prefer meaningless romp through a city or a game with more polish and attention to design.

well they obviously have different focuses, but I don't see how you are gauging their "thought" levels without some high-tech scanner.

for myself, one game has fun gameplay, the other doesn't. Maybe thats meaningless for you, but not everyone.

The Lamp

inFAMOUS had way more thought put into it as a game rather than it being a boring gore simulator structured around missions. I guess your preference depends on whether you prefer meaningless romp through a city or a game with more polish and attention to design.

Anyway, I can't believe this game comes out tomorrow. I completely forgot about it. I'll wait for reviews.

Whelp got this coming from Amazon tomorrow. I'm in the mood for some destruction because the last 2 weeks were basically hell for me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Just an FYI, I will be purchasing this game tomorrow to give some impressions for those who still care, or for those that are on the fence.

I plan on getting it tomorrow as well, but I may avoid this OT for a while when people who aren't even going to play it are talking about a comparison that shouldn't even exist. The developers don't have beef; I have no idea why the users need to.

I don't think it was better than the first and I don't think it was worse either. It definitely leaves something to be desired in the graphics department and the framerate issues are pretty annoying. Too be honest, once you've done the coolers moves 3 or 4 times they get kind of stale. It feels too much like the first game IMO.

Sidzed2

The whole prototype -v- infamous debate was sort of a "good taste" litmus test to me, in that one game was really good, albeit with room to improve, and the other was an example of a great concept executed poorly. One was obviously better than the other, and players' preferences between the two serve as a useful barometer.

Vire

All I know about this game is that the commercial is incredibly stupid. Talk about missing the point entirely.

What a bastardization of such a beautiful song.

This is super sad news. The best thing about prototype and Hulk was the chargability of every action. (Yeah, you could prime the next jump while airborne in P1 just like in Hulk). The removal of different attacks is abhorrent as well. It already had less interactions than Hulk did, but dialing it back further... WTF Activision/Radical (whoever made these decisions).

yeah, the whole 'rage building... SMAAAAASH!" was kind of the point. Weird that they would remove that feature, although I guess it could have been done to avoid 'confusion' with Hulk aka Marvel / Disney telling them they will get sued if they don't.

At least, I can imagine that being the case.

mujun

The whole prototype -v- infamous debate was sort of a "good taste" litmus test to me, in that one game was really good, albeit with room to improve, and the other was an example of a great concept executed poorly. One was obviously better than the other, and players' preferences between the two serve as a useful barometer.

I would disagree completely. I think the debate is more a "where your taste lies" litmus test.

d0c_zaius

well I know bulletstorm isn't for everyone when it comes to the dialogue (in the beginning for me especially), but what they were trying to do worked for the most part.

When Heller says some shit sometimes, it just feels like they are trying too hard. They hyper serious tone doesn't mesh with the writing sometimes or even some of the gameplay.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Got it. Playing it. I like it a lot.

But then again, I didn't like inFAMOUS, but I absolutely loved Prototype. After playing Prototype, inFAMOUS seemed extremely dull, washed out, limited, and boring to me. Prototype was just so insane, frenzied, and hyperviolent - one of my favourite games.

This is Prototype, but better. Not MUCH better, mind you - if you didn't care for the first one, then this has absolutely nothing to offer you. But, if you liked the first, this is a pretty damn good way to continue the franchise. Violent, dark, bleak, and very, very entertaining.

But then again, I didn't like inFAMOUS, but I absolutely loved Prototype. After playing Prototype, inFAMOUS seemed extremely dull, washed out, limited, and boring to me. Prototype was just so insane, frenzied, and hyperviolent - one of my favourite games.

This is Prototype, but better. Not MUCH better, mind you - if you didn't care for the first one, then this has absolutely nothing to offer you. But, if you liked the first, this is a pretty damn good way to continue the franchise. Violent, dark, bleak, and very, very entertaining.

Awesome can't wait to play it now.

Jaroof

Got this.. been playing it for a few hours.

Gotta say that the collector's edition box is pretty badass.

But anyways.. I like the progression system. There seems to be loads of upgrades, and there's actually a leveling system in this game. It works really smooth.
Graphics look much better than the first.
Did anyone else laugh at the new dodging animation?

The game is too easy. Only if you're someone who plays for achievements/trophies will there be a second playthrough, otherwise the game is a rental.

Speaking of achievement/trophies....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgnXx4shNbA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp8smf4GbpA

The first one was never really too hard to begin with, even on higher difficulties. BUT, it was still incredibly fun. The sense of movement and freedom is still unmatched. The only qualms I had with the first Prototype were some of the button combos to do moves. Hitting X and B on a controller is not exactly intuitive. I guess they really had to use every button combo they could think up as there were soooo many moves you could do in the game.

Coolwhip

Banned
6.0 Graphics
The city looks good, but the drawn distance isn't great, animations look old, and the kills don't seem high-def.

From the IGN review. Kills don't seem high-def? Anyone have an idea what that even means?

Jaroof

6.0 Graphics
The city looks good, but the drawn distance isn't great, animations look old, and the kills don't seem high-def.

From the IGN review. Kills don't seem high-def? Anyone have an idea what that even means?

I really don't understand it.. silly complaint.
Also, the draw distance is pretty great. Even my brother was impressed with it, and he's not impressed by much most of the time. He commented on it multiple times.
And really, a 7.0, when the first game got a 7.5?
I've only played a few hours, and I'm already enjoying it more than the first.
Eh, whatever. Different strokes for different folks.

ArjanN

Thanks for the impressions.

kr2t0s

Game Informer gives it an 8.5

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/p...-s-latest-emerges-from-prototyping-phase.aspx
Prototype 2 has officially redeemed this franchise. The mechanics feel the way you wished they would have in the first installment, and it’s a rush to abuse your incredible powers any way you see fit. If you’ve stayed away from the first game because of the lackluster word of mouth, don’t hesitate to jump right into the sequel. A slick video catches you up on everything right out of the gate so there’s no excuse to miss this taste of ultimate viral power.

I played Prototype first and liked it better, but the graphics in infamous were much better than Prototype's. Infamous was crisp with a lot of color and looked very comic book-ish, while Prototype was the one with lots of muddy textures and browns.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Thought I'd drop back into the thread and post some longer impressions for you guys. I've played through about five or six hours of Prototype 2 now. I like it. I don't think it is necessarily going to be to everyone's taste - it is very reminiscent of the first. Lots of 'go here, kill/eat this guy' kind of stuff - but the thing that sells it for me is that it is an equally visceral experience. That it is repetitive is probably a valid question - this isn't Skyrim, it is a game in which you kill people. A lot. And, frankly, that's the beginning and end of it.

But, as with the original Prototype, if you like a game where the REAL objective is the create as much chaos as you possibly can, you'll enjoy this. At the end of the day, the 'missions' are really just excuses for you to go apeshit and destroy everything you possibly can, and the sequel expands on the original's repertoire of death. To be honest, the violence is kicked up to even more ridiculous extremes here - you tear people to pieces, bisect them, rip them into tiny pieces, and carve your way through hordes of enemies, and innocents. You throw cars at homeless people, pull helicopters out of the sky and throw them into OTHER helicopters, and run vertically up walls at high speeds while dragging someone behind you by the face.

All of which are tricks that the original played - but in the sequel, the action is faster, more savage, and more frenetic. The engine has been streamlined, and the controls feel far more fluid to me - possibly as a result of upgrades to the engine. The upgrades seem somewhat more interesting as well, and the challenges are a lot of fun.

The downside is, of course, the story. The story is a pile of horseshit. Cliched, B-movie nonsense with horrible voice work - but, at the same time, there is something effective about the way the game acknowledges what you're doing: you may be ripping a group of soldiers to pieces with your massive biomechanical claws, and you'll hear radio chatter: "OH MY GOD HE'S KILLING US", etc. It adds a nice dimension to the game. But, ultimately, if you play stuff like Prototype for the story, you're crazy. This isn't Ocarina Of Time - it's a very flimsy skeleton, upon which to hang buckets and buckets of gore.

So, again, if you enjoyed Prototype, you'll enjoy this. It is closer to Just Cause 2 than GTA, and that's as it should be. What I mean by that is that it is a giant sandbox of murder, which occasionally throws a chunk of plot at you to bind everything together, but ultimately, the fun you have is dependent on the fun you are willing to create for yourself. Personally, I can spend hours just running around trying to create as much mayhem as I possibly can - others may be looking for something with more depth, in which case, star far away from this game.

Anyway, for those of you on the fence, I thought this might be helpful.

george_us

Exactly what I wanted to hear Optimus. I kind of liked the story in the first one though. Had a sense of chaos that was appropriate for the game. Can't wait to get my hands on this.

Top Bottom