• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

teiresias

This Marshmallow-to-Nougat update pop-up will be the death of me.

Does anyone know how to disable it?

I3OVaHm.png

I've looked online and gone through the settings and I've only managed to stop the notifications in the notification bar.

Why would you not want your Moto (Z variant?) to upgrade to Nougat anyway? It brought nothing but good things to my Moto Z Play.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Flossy is a legit reviewer. He's the one true non-PR guy out there. Everyone else gives negative bullet points a calm, understanding spin so the phones keep coming.

Noema

This Marshmallow-to-Nougat update pop-up will be the death of me.

Does anyone know how to disable it?

I3OVaHm.png

I've looked online and gone through the settings and I've only managed to stop the notifications in the notification bar.

Update to Nougat. That'll stop the pop-up from appearing.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Hasney

Android O beta on my Pixel C has Galaxy S4 levels of memory management. I really hope it's just due to an unoptimised beta.

IronRaven

Ty4on

So I've been reading about how it's better to charge your mobile phones, tablets or any lithium ion battery devices up top 80%. I mean, maintaining a battery between 40-80% is what's suggested than going all the way down and charging back up to 100%.

Any of you guys stick with this? I'm just trying to see what's the best way to maintain the battery capacity for my S8+ or any of, other devices.

Yup. For most of my current phone's life I had an alarm at 85% charge and never charged it overnight. Still doing alright on the original battery more than three years later.

Basically the bigger the cycle it goes through the more wears the battery. So going from 100 to 0 drains it more than going from 75 to 25 twice. That's why you should charge it often. You shouldn't keep it plugged in though because holding it at a high charge for a long period of time also wears it. Basically the higher the charge the more it wears them; that's why all new electronics are at ~50% charge out of the box.
They have some charge because if they ever hit actual 0% (way below what the battery managment will make you hit when draining it) the battery will die.
One last thing that I learned while studying EVs is that you shouldn't charge a cold battery. That can be really painful for them. By cold I mean like freezing so your phone is rarely going to hit those temps, but maybe worth keeping in mind if you forget it in the car on a cold day you should let it warm up. Ideally you want to charge it at 20C or 70F. A ton of apps report battery temp including CPU-Z.
Does this even have optical zoom? Doesn't seem to mention that anywhere.
Nope, it says "26.5mm lens"

which is garbage and not really true, but either way it's not a zoom

IronRaven

Those specs are trash for $400. That camera better be amazing lol.

Speaking of amazing cameras, I was taking some graduation photos recently with my phone and a friend of a friend was there doing the same thing. I look some pictures and she asked to see my pictures. I showed her and she was amazed by the quality of the photos from my 6P. She had an iPhone 7 and thought her photos didn't look as good.

The camera on the 6P continues to amaze people.

Jeffrey

Speaking of amazing cameras, I was taking some graduation photos recently with my phone and a friend of a friend was there doing the same thing. I look some pictures and she asked to see my pictures. I showed her and she was amazed by the quality of the photos from my 6P. She had an iPhone 7 and thought her photos didn't look as good.

Didn't 6p get a lot of the vudoo hdr magic from the pixel with nougat?

Jzero

Yeah literally the best non DSLR camera I've had. Even my G6 can't compete with Google's GOAT HDR+

The oversharpening going on with the LG G6's photos is honestly the worst thing about it. They're very acceptable otherwise. And at least it's quick.

Hasney

AJ came across as making that thread because he didn't get the reaction he was after here. So technically, it was all your faults. You should have cried or something.

Look at how much he tried to get a reaction out of anyone:

I use Tweetbot on iOS so I don't care about your crappy Android apps.

My Elephone P9000's digitizer got busted tonight when I dropped a smartphone (on something hard) for the very first time in all these years. I couldn't even see the scratch in the screen until 15 minutes later when the light hit it at just the right angle. I'm so salty about this after years of marveling at people walking around using screens that have been absolutely crushed to the point that you can no longer even view half the screen.

A week after they pushed out Nougat too!

I'm trying to see if I can get a used OnePlus 3T for under $400 here in Japan, but it'd be pretty dope if the OnePlus 5 dropped in the meantime.

The Elephone P9000 was an awesome budget "flagship" phone, btw. It's a shame that company hasn't released any worthwhile devices in the past year, but it's great that they continue to push out updates for that particular phone.

Without disabling the apps, how do we stop the background usage? Like I want certain apps to work only when I open them. However, even with mobile data background usage, the apps give me notifications and I guess in some sort of way, they keep running in the background?

phones handle that themselves already these days. 100% doesn't mean 100%, but like 90% or something and it handles stuff itself.

Anyways, samsung mentioned in their research on making sure note 7 thing doesn't happen again, they figured out a way to make them batteries last longer. Expect 90+% capacity in 2 years.

No promises on your phone being slow as shit, or heavy battery drain from android P though!

Yup. For most of my current phone's life I had an alarm at 85% charge and never charged it overnight. Still doing alright on the original battery more than three years later.

Basically the bigger the cycle it goes through the more wears the battery. So going from 100 to 0 drains it more than going from 75 to 25 twice. That's why you should charge it often. You shouldn't keep it plugged in though because holding it at a high charge for a long period of time also wears it. Basically the higher the charge the more it wears them; that's why all new electronics are at ~50% charge out of the box.
They have some charge because if they ever hit actual 0% (way below what the battery managment will make you hit when draining it) the battery will die.
One last thing that I learned while studying EVs is that you shouldn't charge a cold battery. That can be really painful for them. By cold I mean like freezing so your phone is rarely going to hit those temps, but maybe worth keeping in mind if you forget it in the car on a cold day you should let it warm up. Ideally you want to charge it at 20C or 70F. A ton of apps report battery temp including CPU-Z.

Nope, it says "26.5mm lens"

which is garbage and not really true, but either way it's not a zoom

Yeah so that is what I've been reading. Like when the phone says it is charged to 100%, at least these modern devices, it is only charged to a certain 90-95% or so.

Also have been reading how these devices are meant to be charged multiple times, like a 30min to 60min runs. So it is best to keep the devices between 40%-80% which would be optimum and charge as often so that you retain the longitivtiy of the battery.

Up until now, I've been doing the bring the battery down to 20% or so and then head back up to 100% but starting with my S8+ and possible other new devices, I will do the multiple charges during the day policy. I guess that way you don't drain out of the battery at any given point and you retain the capacity for longer life.

RoKKeR

I've gotta say, the ability to type questions/commands to Google Assistant makes me want to use it way more than if it were only voice commands.

Ty4on

I'm guessing they will use tech similar to what DXO used in the DXO One to stitch together multiple exposures in low light.

I don't really have much PP experience, but DXO's own RAW processor gives me pretty good results.
I just use it because they had a free promotion and I'm a cheapskate...

Ty4on

the "good looking" one has a ton of noise in it

It's still a phone camera
It's much nicer noise though. The left one has a smudged noise pattern like a lot of phones while the right one has a uniform pattern, almost as if it's unprocessed.

You can also see in the cables that there's a lot more detail while the cables are almost completely removed by the NR in the left picture.

Dobsie

Without disabling the apps, how do we stop the background usage? Like I want certain apps to work only when I open them. However, even with mobile data background usage, the apps give me notifications and I guess in some sort of way, they keep running in the background?
Servicely

Top Bottom