• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Jzero

Fuck i want it, I'll wait for the gray version since I have to sell my G6 first.
Their Essential Home looks good too.

Mandelbo

No mention of a headphone jack on the site though... If it had one I'd be very tempted to make it my first android

i've been lurking here for months now looking for a potential new phone later in the year xP

Quasar

Nope. But it's really fucking nice:

Bummer. And so my choices for my next phone are basically pixel2 and nothing else. Unless I jump ship. Which is on the cards if there's any fire to the diabetes monitor rumours. That alone would get me to switch.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Bummer. And so my choices for my next phone are basically pixel2 and nothing else. Unless I jump ship. Which is on the cards if there's any fire to the diabetes monitor rumours. That alone would get me to switch.

OP5 could be legit.

Mindwipe

Samsung is usually very good with giving 2+ years of updates to the s and note line. That is one of their upsides now. LG and Motorola will still try to fuck you and not give updates even on flagships though past one year if any at all.

I'm starting to think I got a faulty s8. Gets really hot, injustice 2 froze up on me on first boot and crashed, and the os keeps freezing on me and becoming non responsive once in awhile. Is this happening to you Jeffrey?

That happened to me with Injustice 2 as well, on my Pixel C, had to hard reboot the device and then uninstall it and reinstall it to restore normal behaviour.

Injustice 2's code base is just a piece of crap, I don't think it's device specific.

My S8 still seems nice and lag free (comparing it to a Pixel, which I've got), with the continued caveat that I'm someone who's pretty much okay with 30fps in gaming.

intro_last_frame_with_ui.jpg

essential-phone-hero.jpg

dock_phone.png

$699.00. better reserve quick dudes

https://www.essential.com/
It looks good, but the cutout for the speaker ruins the design and having your own magnetic charging dock in 2017 is just stupid. It's 2017 and we have 2 wireless charging standards, so drop this proprietary nonsense.

E: I will say though, the Ocean Depths color option is really, really nice.

Mindwipe

There's lots I like about the Essential, but 5.7 inches? Nah. Too big.

Also the camera cutout looks like it will be a pain in the ass (so the screen isn't 16:9 safe?) - the bezel should be at the top, not the bottom, Samsung generally got that right on the S8. The blurb about the camera does not fill me with confidence. Calling out that it can shoot in black and white? Lol. No headphone jack is also a dealbreaker.

Also the camera cutout looks like it will be a pain in the ass (so the screen isn't 16:9 safe?) - the bezel should be at the top, not the bottom, Samsung generally got that right on the S8. The blurb about the camera does not fill me with confidence. Calling out that it can shoot in black and white? Lol. No headphone jack is also a dealbreaker.
Not to mention the other proprietary accessory connector that will never be used again, like with the LG G5 and Moto Mods. It's stupid, gimmicky nonsense.

Quasar

It looks good, but the cutout for the speaker ruins the design and having your own magnetic charging dock in 2017 is just stupid. It's 2017 and we have 2 wireless charging standards, so drop this proprietary nonsense.

E: I will say though, the Ocean Depths color option is really, really nice.

Really don't like how obvious the front camera is and how it ruins the edge to edge appearance.

reKon

Banned

Also the camera cutout looks like it will be a pain in the ass (so the screen isn't 16:9 safe?) - the bezel should be at the top, not the bottom, Samsung generally got that right on the S8. The blurb about the camera does not fill me with confidence. Callings​ out that it can shoot in black and white? Lol. No headphone jack is also a dealbreaker.

The dimensions of the phone is 141 mm in height and 71mm in width. So it's fine there. The 5.7 screen size is nothing.

It's a dual camera setup. The monochrome camera is what allows for better range.

Jeffrey

intro_last_frame_with_ui.jpg

essential-phone-hero.jpg

dock_phone.png

$699.00. better reserve quick dudes

https://www.essential.com/

Looks dope. But even if it's rubin, I'm not gonna drop $700 on a Kickstarter phone. Also why does it want my name and address on a reserve page lol.

Bezeless top is ultimately pointless on Android when basically every not Samsung app have a black top bar area.

Also no headphone jack.

And no one makes modules for moto and lg. No one making one for a startup

Jeffrey

No AMOLED screen with HDR tech it looks like.

Man this phone basically is the LG G6 in a parallel universe in which sd835 wasn't supply constrained and moto mods sold well.

Price is too high regardless.

I gambled on oneplus because it was $350 for OPO 64gb.

$700... I'm good.

Maybe if reviews are good? Wonder how the phone looks like with dbrand skins.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Man this phone basically is the LG G6 in a parallel universe in which sd835 wasn't supply constrained and moto mods sold well.

Price is too high regardless.

I gambled on oneplus because it was $350 for OPO 64gb.

$700... I'm good.

Maybe if reviews are good? Wonder how the phone looks like with dbrand skins.

I'm sure MKBHD will gladly let us know

Jeffrey

Won't be surprised if the One Plus 5 launches at $479 or $499.
Which is fine. They built street cred over the years.

Will there even be cases or screen protectors for this? Oh wait you don't need it anymore because apparently titanium is drop proof!

LeleSocho

Banned
This Essential looks freaking great.
I'm a fan of the aspect ratio, the fact that is in titanium means that is more resistant than the other aluminium phones and as hoped it's near stock android, the design is elegant and simple and awwww yisssss no amoled.

A real no bullshit phone.

Need some advice and I figured I could ask here:

So my I'm upgrading from my 2 year old galaxy S4 and my new phone is on the way. My only issue is that my S4s power button stopped working this past weekend and the phone died but still charged. After some messing around with the power button i turned it on and did everything in my power to keep it charged since the power button wasn't working and i wouldn't be able to turn it on if it died again.

Well today it just cut off by itself even though the battery was at 50% and now not only does the power button still not work but now it doesn't even charge. So I assume my problem is a boot loop and from what videos ive watched I would have to solder on a new power button. All I want is to cut the phone on long enough to recover pictures from it then I couldn't care less what happens to it.

So basically is there any easier way to recover my data without attempting to solder a new button on? (i've never soldered anything before) I also took it to a repair shop but they were going to charge me $35 just for a diagnostic and I don't want to spend that much for him to tell me what I already know.

You didn't already have Google Photos running in the background, automatically backing up your stuff?

The Essential phone looks really good design wise with the exception of that awful front facing camera cut out. The specs are really good but nobody's paying that much money for a new brand like that when the Pixel and iPhone are going to be very similar at likely close to the cost.

Jeffrey

Need more info on the OS. If they say they are working with Google and are doing day and date updates as pixel, that would interest me.

The render has the pixel launcher so hopefully that means something.

Rubin phone looks nice for the most part, but I'd rather they have a tiny bit of bezel at the top for the earpiece and camera to fit instead of the cutout. Or just flip it around and have bezel up top and none on the bottom. And not that I could afford it anyway, outright, but if I could, the lack of a headphone jack kills my interest in it.

Jeffrey

Exactly what I thought. Although I think the Rubin phone looks better.

Yeah. It's pretty expensive for a phone without an ip rating. $700 and no waterproof. Lol
It's expensive for a phone from a company you never heard about.

I honestly have no clue what they are expecting from sales of this phone, maybe a few thousand?

Weird they are even launching in US first. No one buys phones off carrier, let alone one this pricy

I honestly have no clue what they are expecting from sales of this phone, maybe a few thousand?

Weird they are even launching in US first. No one buys phones off carrier, let alone one this pricy

When hype goes to one's head you get something like this. They will be the next nextbit.

IronRaven

At this point, I'm just going to wait for either the OnePlus 5 or the Pixel 2. I will hold onto my 6P until it finally dies horribly on me.

Since they were charging that much, they could've at least aim for parity with the S8. The lack of a headphone will not fly with enthusiasts.

It's going to be weird when the Pixel 2 and iPhone 8 come out and you have multiple devices (G6, Essential, Pixel 2, iPhone 8, S8A) that look incredibly similar to one another. I doubt even Apple will be able to do a much to differentiate the iPhone 8 design from their competitors.

IronRaven

It's going to be weird when the Pixel 2 and iPhone 8 come out and you have multiple devices (G6, Essential, Pixel 2, iPhone 8, S8A) that look incredibly similar to one another. I doubt even Apple will be able to do a much to differentiate the iPhone 8 design from their competitors.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Top Bottom