• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Lg G6 H870DS version available for under £390 through eglobal. 64gb/Dual Sim/Quad DAC version. HK import so if anything goes wrong a few months down the line you're probably up shit creek but still.... if it doesn't that seems to be a bargain (although knowing LG its probably gonna drop even further).

That or the V20 for £299. Newer/sleeker/waterproofed vs Bigger/Feature Packed/Removable battery. :/

AJ came across as making that thread because he didn't get the reaction he was after here. So technically, it was all your faults. You should have cried or something.

Look at how much he tried to get a reaction out of anyone:
But we already had that discussion for Falcon Pro 3

Veedot

Need some advice and I figured I could ask here:

So my I'm upgrading from my 2 year old galaxy S4 and my new phone is on the way. My only issue is that my S4s power button stopped working this past weekend and the phone died but still charged. After some messing around with the power button i turned it on and did everything in my power to keep it charged since the power button wasn't working and i wouldn't be able to turn it on if it died again.

Well today it just cut off by itself even though the battery was at 50% and now not only does the power button still not work but now it doesn't even charge. So I assume my problem is a boot loop and from what videos ive watched I would have to solder on a new power button. All I want is to cut the phone on long enough to recover pictures from it then I couldn't care less what happens to it.

So basically is there any easier way to recover my data without attempting to solder a new button on? (i've never soldered anything before) I also took it to a repair shop but they were going to charge me $35 just for a diagnostic and I don't want to spend that much for him to tell me what I already know.

asdad123

Bought a regular Pixel to downsize from the XL. Really enjoying this size a lot more. I don't think I can do larger phones anymore. Hopefully the next pixel comes in a smaller size also.

If anyone is interested in a 32gb XL in Really Blue, send me a PM :) I'm in North Jersey

Jeffrey

Bought a regular Pixel to downsize from the XL. Really enjoying this size a lot more. I don't think I can do larger phones anymore. Hopefully the next pixel comes in a smaller size also.

If anyone is interested in a 32gb XL in Really Blue, send me a PM :) I'm in North Jersey
I have $150 in my wallet.

23qwerty

Mr.Shrugglesツ;238458867 said:
So I just came across something I didn't know was a thing. Apparently some devs update apps and want you to pay are the fact?
as long as you can continue using the old version for free I don't see the issue

or hell, even if you can't.

Jeffrey

I don't get how any business can sustain free new feature updates.

I get billed quite a bit an hr to write new code. Who does this for free?

Noema

Without disabling the apps, how do we stop the background usage? Like I want certain apps to work only when I open them. However, even with mobile data background usage, the apps give me notifications and I guess in some sort of way, they keep running in the background?

Not really. Apps can get push notifications via Firebase Cloud Messaging . It's similar to the way push notifications work on ios. The app doesn't have to be active in order for you to receive push notifications, heck, it doesn't even have to be connected to the internet. My work for instance blocks Tinder but I still get notifications for it via FCM.

Soodanim

GAF, I've been out of the phone game for a while, and want to upgrade from this no working vibration having, laggy, ageing battery Z3 Compact. How far away are some decent £200-300 phones?

Aside from a worse than ideal camera, only weak waterproofing, and no compass in the UK (a senseless omission), the G5 Play looks like a good contender and pretty close to what I'm looking for from a phone.

I was also looking at the A5 2017 despite its lack of notification LED and it having the Samsung back button layout, but at that point I'm moving towards "Fuck it, I'll just get an HTC 10" at a rapid pace.

Sway me one way or the other please, GAF. I was super tempted by the OnePlus 3 before they discontinued it in favour of the more expensive 3T, but the 5 is probably going to be above the £400 mark, isn't it?

I'm not a fan of the cheap Chinese brands - I want something I can easily get sorted if anything goes wrong.

Jeffrey

op3t camera was decent in normal light, mediocre in low light. improve low light performance will definitely put it up there with the big dogs.

its stupid LG screwing everything up lol. G6 camera is pretty great, and carriers are basically giving them out for free.

saw that you can get them unlocked with no catch for $500 now lmao.

GAF, I've been out of the phone game for a while, and want to upgrade from this no working vibration having, laggy, ageing battery Z3 Compact. How far away are some decent £200-300 phones?

Aside from a worse than ideal camera, only weak waterproofing, and no compass in the UK (a senseless omission), the G5 Play looks like a good contender and pretty close to what I'm looking for from a phone.

I was also looking at the A5 2017 despite its lack of notification LED and it having the Samsung back button layout, but at that point I'm moving towards "Fuck it, I'll just get an HTC 10" at a rapid pace.

Sway me one way or the other please, GAF. I was super tempted by the OnePlus 3 before they discontinued it in favour of the more expensive 3T, but the 5 is probably going to be above the £400 mark, isn't it?

I'm not a fan of the cheap Chinese brands - I want something I can easily get sorted if anything goes wrong.

Honor 8 is available for £289 (inc free portable charger) at the official Vmall store: https://www.vmall.eu/uk/honor-8-pearl-white-free-powebank-white-uk-302179/bundle/

reKon

Banned
op3t camera was decent in normal light, mediocre in low light. improve low light performance will definitely put it up there with the big dogs.

its stupid LG screwing everything up lol. G6 camera is pretty great, and carriers are basically giving them out for free.

saw that you can get them unlocked with no catch for $500 now lmao.

Where?

If there ends up not being any bootloop issue in the long run, it would make for a fantastic cheap buy

You are going from Samsung to Samsung to Samsung. Of course you aren't going to notice anything wrong. I was blind to the jankiness of Samsung's software until I started using stock Android. Once you do that switch it's hard to go back.
True, but if the performance was anything truly annoying (consistent app crashes, performance bogging down to a crawl, freezes, etc.) it would definitely be annoying enough for me to want to switch.
Even if I don't have a lot of different Android phones, I do own a Nexus tablet, iPad Mini, and Nvidia Shield Portable which I use fairly regularly and I've owned an iPhone for a little while before I got my Note 4, so I'm not completely without reference to compare.

I do know Samsung isn't as smooth as the competition (I played with a Moto Z Play recently and it was definitely nicer, even with the lower specs), but with what I use my phone for on a regular basis (internet, podcasts, navigation,calls/texts, and games) the improvement to smoothness isn't worth losing SD card support if I got a Pixel, or losing the headphone jack by going with an iPhone, or losing Wifi calling if I got a Motorola (which does suck, I'm on T-Mobile and they don't offer Motorola phones or support Wifi Calling if I got one from Amazon or elsewhere).

Maybe this fabled Rubin phone will have everything I need/want from an Android phone. full feature support with my network, all the hardware features I need, AND great performance.

Verizon or Google version?

Husker86

Had to get a tablet for an app I made for my wedding and after much deliberation went with the Samsung Tab S3. Just started setting it up so can't speak to performance, but man, this is a beautiful piece of hardware.

Jeffrey

Lol so HTC has some boobs related marketing thing with the HTC 11 squeeze tech. One of the top posts on Android subreddit if you are interested.

Jeffrey, convert the s8 to the unlocked version. Seems to work well. Haven't tried on mine yet, but did it to a s7 edge I had before. https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS8/comments/6dtr4f/bloat_free_flash_for_snapdragon_s8_available/
Man the only reason I'm using this s8 is wifi calling, getting rid of that ruins the purpose.

Do you notice performance increase?

Lol so HTC has some boobs related marketing thing with the HTC 11 squeeze tech. One of the top posts on Android subreddit if you are interested.

Man the only reason I'm using this s8 is wifi calling, getting rid of that ruins the purpose.

Do you notice performance increase?

I think it still has WiFi calling, at least for TMobile. Not sure about att. You could always reflash attached firmware if it doesn't. I haven't tried it yet on my s8 but I did it on a s7 edge and worked really well.

How many phones do you need?!

$350 sounds like a steal.

Lol I buy them and resell them. The G6 would be more to try out than anything else, since there wouldn't be much profit in reselling.

You already have an 821 phone, I don't see the point in another one unless you're giving it to someone else.

It's more just to play around with and resell, I don't think I could go to a phone with no root on a permanent basis. I'm gonna use the 3T until the OnePlus 5 hits and switch to that if they use a 1440p screen.

Jeffrey

just got this email from oneplus

Hi friend,

Can you take a stellar shot on your mobile? We want to see your best work!

In this Shot on OnePlus edition of The Lab, we're looking for 10 passionate mobile photographers to review our upcoming device. Rise above the rest, and you'll have the exclusive opportunity to win our next device before its official release.

Ready to give this a shot? Learn more about entering.

They are really confident with that dx0 camera eh?

Let's hope other aspects of the phone are improved too lol. go 1440p, or ditch AMOLED.

just got this email from oneplus

They are really confident with that dx0 camera eh?

Let's hope other aspects of the phone are improved too lol. go 1440p, or ditch AMOLED.

Yeah this 1080p amoled screen they are using on the 3t is already hurting my eyes. If they won't go 1440p they need to go back to lcd. This OnePlus contest is a scam where they give people with the most Instagram followers a phone so they can advertise it for them to their followers.

Menaged

My father encountered the boot loop issue in his Nexus 5x. He bought it from Amazon Us about 18 months ago. Who should we contact? LG? Google? We don't reside in the Us so I guess this makes things a bit more complicated...

Dobsie

G5 plus is good, also look at lenovo p2, massive battery but middling camera. Still a steal at £200.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Hopefully the Rubin phone is at least offered for sale in Australia.

Nope. But it's really fucking nice:

intro_last_frame_with_ui.jpg

essential-phone-hero.jpg

dock_phone.png

Plus, it's an all-out flagship phone that is launching first in the United States. It's got all flagship bells and whistles: the top-end Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 system chip with 4 gigs of RAM, and a whopping 128GB of on-board storage. But it's also different than many flagships in its philosophy: it ships with no junk bloatware, and it does not even have a logo, a welcome change from popular flagships where you often have overwhelming stamps and logos all over the place.

$699.00. better reserve quick dudes

https://www.essential.com/

Top Bottom