• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

So seeing as how almost every "flagship" phone being announced so far this year is going the tiny bezels route, there's no way the new Pixels will still have big bezels, right? I know it's Google and all, but still.

Saiyan-Rox

Just had my phone go nuts in the O beta nothing would open without crashing for some reason so I sent the feedback and went on to the site to unenrol from the beta to find my pixel XL wasn't listed...odd so I had to do a factory reset via the recovery menu. Set it all up again and it showed back up on the site so downgraded to Nougat to find all my Google backups were gone...all of it :S wtf? It's like all traces of me owning a pixel XL have vanished.

dukeoflegs

I have an issue with the message app that comes with android phones. Every time my brother sends me a picture and I try to open the message I get a pop up that says "restart messenger", I'll click ok, and try to open the message again but get the same pop up. I only get these errors from him and from his phone, everyone else has sent me a picture or message and all is good.

I have an Xperia XZ and he has a Pixel.

Has anyone else had this issue? I've tried searching google but can't find anything.

Hmmm, the battery was awesome during the first week; I got 6 1/2-7 hours of SoT. But now I get 5. Still lasts me all day but I noticed it and it bothers me.

Might be an app causing wakelocks. Disable or uninstall anything you don't need, especially all of those useless google apps it comes with like hangouts and duo.

That Essential phone runs CDMA? Like, Verizon CDMA?

That cutout at the top of the screen means I could never use that phone, but i sure hope Verizon compatibility is a trend that becomes more common.

Husker86

It absolutely should've been dead years ago, but Qualcomm keeps the damn thing alive. I can't wait until every carrier in the US is GSM.

Wouldn't it be a huge waste to convert to GSM when LTE is what everyone uses and what all new upgrades are? I mean, I can't ever see Verizon or Sprint having a 3G GSM network. DO carriers still roll out 3G towers?

That Essential phone runs CDMA? Like, Verizon CDMA?

That cutout at the top of the screen means I could never use that phone, but i sure hope Verizon compatibility is a trend that becomes more common.

The Xiaomi Mi Note 2 International version has all US bands and technology including CDMA2000 for Verizon and Sprint

Jeffrey

Watched whole video.

Essential shipping in 30 days. Hopefully reviews soon?

Rubin basically said the phone is running stock android. If there are promises of updates on the nexus cycle I'll drop 700. Fine.

Phone is 16:10 so videos will be cropped so the camera won't interfere.

Jeffrey

AnS0Irl.png

fuck it. Lets go boys. (no real commitment, dont need to put a cc down or anything).

You see this is what happens when oneplus just teases their shit and not just show it off. No way its gonna look as good as this, and with rumors saying its gonna get up to $600+, not really gonna be that much of a value buy either.

oh right you can pick up the blackberry tomorrow on amazon and best buy

reKon

Banned
AnS0Irl.png

fuck it. Lets go boys. (no real commitment, dont need to put a cc down or anything).

You see this is what happens when oneplus just teases their shit and not just show it off. No way its gonna look as good as this, and with rumors saying its gonna get up to $600+, not really gonna be that much of a value buy either.

for the culture

Jeffrey

Got no email from them. Nothing in spam

Wonder how LG feels. They led with the minimum bezel phone for the West but within a few months, g6 looks years behind the competition and carriers are pretty much giving them away for free.

S8 is selling twice as fast as S7. Note 7 bomb gave Samsung street cred I guess

Jeffrey

AnS0Irl.png

It's not gonna be $600+. $450 max.

LeleSocho

Banned
If you see the Recode interview you will understand why the Essential is essentially (heh words are funny) the only true alternative to the Pixel if you are on the Android side of things.

The company's ethos is to not have any bloatware on their phones, in general let the user decide what they want in their devices and to opensource every new advancement hardware and software they are going to implement.
I liked that Rubin talked about potentially putting low yields innovations in their phones at least for the first years.
This is the best thing to happen to Android since Google decided to get serious with the phone situation, it's a response to all the complains people on the internet make.

Godspeed Rubin, best of luck with this thing.

What the fuck are you doing releasing a phone called "Essential" charging $700 for it and yet it has no waterproofing, headphone jack, a measly 3,000mAh battery and what looks to be proprietary wireless charging. I can already faintly hear MKBHD whispering "Poor use of space" in the distance.

What the hell is up with companies releasing modular devices with stripped down features. This is like when LG released the G5 and removed things like the excellent DAC from the V10 so they could try and sell it as a "Friend".

LeleSocho

Banned
What the fuck are you doing releasing a phone called "Essential" charging $700 for it and yet it has no waterproofing, headphone jack, a measly 3,000mAh battery and what looks to be proprietary wireless charging. I can already faintly hear MKBHD whispering "Poor use of space" in the distance.

What the hell is up with companies releasing modular devices with stripped down features. This is like when LG released the G5 and removed things like the excellent DAC from the V10 so they could try and sell it as a "Friend".

What are you babbling about?
The phone occupies the same volume of the Galaxy S7 which has the same battery size and everyone was ok with it... heck the S8 which is bigger in size has the same 3000mah battery... The price is the standard for flagship products and uses even more premium materials than anybody else.
If they use the 60ghz thing for wireless charging it has already been said that it's going open source so not proprietary, headphone jack is the obvious step forward to save space inside the phone... the only right thing to lament is no waterproofing but for all the others it's the opposite of "poor use of space" or bad.
How about you research stuff before spouting rage?

Top Bottom