• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Samsung came by the office peddling their Knox stuff. I asked them if there was a way to make my s8 run better and they chuckled. Then I told her my Huawei was quicker and she looked absolutely offended lol.

Which is surprising. There's no Huawei presence in the US.

Where do you work? I'm super curious. :p

Sony is the bess.

So Sony sent in some kind of Bluetooth high-quality codec?

Burke: Yeah, LDAC. So the default codec we had, literally forever, is called SBC. It's a pretty crappy codec, and we wanted a better codec.

It seems weird that Sony would just give a thing to Android and not charge a licensing fee.

Burke: Yeah, it's super cool. I think they're trying to bootstrap an industry, and they'll make their speakers and headsets so they'll make the other side of it. They offer the code under the Apache License, I want to say. A lot of these people will do license-free anyway for the source. But, yeah, LDAC is pretty good, and then there's APTX as well. These are just higher-definition codecs.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...at-about-project-treble-os-updates-and-linux/

I don't see any reason any phone needs more than 4GB of RAM at this point in time. Maybe next year or after, but not this year. Once VR and shit becomes standard then we can talk.

NeOak

When you have shit like a Lumia 635 running Windows 10 Mobile with no lag in animations with fucking 512 MB of RAM, the need for "6GB RAM phones just so it is more fluid" it's totally ridiculous and idiotic.

Android is a fat cow of an OS, and stuttering with more RAM than $999 4GB laptops with cheap SSDs is ridiculous.

I mean, dude. The S835 can open the start menu in the Windows 10 ARM edition just fine and fast. Android? Yeeeeeehhhhhh, wait while stuff is closed.

Jeffrey, you weren't kidding about the Phone app on the S8. Samsung, dafuq did you do?

reKon

Banned
So with T-Mobile DIGITS, my Int'l unlock Galaxy S7 Edge has Samsung Pay and the ability to do Wi-Fi with my T-Mobile number (didn't really ever need Wi-Fi calling here, but cool).

I won.

this_guy

That always mattered, remember the Google Play Edition phones from a couple of years back? Why do you think they were created in the first place?

....um, why do you think Google Play Edition phones were discontinued?

I mean, people on the internet said they wanted those phones, but no one actually bought them.

That always mattered, remember the Google Play Edition phones from a couple of years back? Why do you think they were created in the first place?
You mean the phones that were discontinued after a year because nobody wanted them? If stock Android mattered than Samsung wouldn't be at the top of the premium Android phone sales.

Jeffrey

honestly, most android phones are fine these days, in terms of 'smoothness'. Heck 625 can handle near aosp about as smooth as the top end. Even LG is generally fine.

It's just samsung that's the exception lol.

this_guy

honestly, most android phones are fine these days, in terms of 'smoothness'. Heck 625 can handle near aosp about as smooth as the top end. Even LG is generally fine.

It's just samsung that's the exception lol.

I'm more excited about the premium mid-range phones nowadays: OnePlus 5, Axon successor, Honor 9, Moto Z2 Play and new Moto X will all perform well enough and cost roughly half of the flagships.

Jeffrey

what are decent bluetooth earbuds that have an app or something on android that displays the battery life?

I don't think stock, touchwiz, or any skin matters to anything but a very tiny minority of people these days.

True, but this is a site where people argue over framerate and resolutions of games :p

In the end its your own money, so what matters to ya should be important, regardless of what other people think!

Groof

what are decent bluetooth earbuds that have an app or something on android that displays the battery life?
can't speak for a lot of brands but Sony has an app for their headsets that do this. p barebones app though, all you can do is set events and it can be slow to update the battery life.

LeleSocho

Banned
....um, why do you think Google Play Edition phones were discontinued?

I mean, people on the internet said they wanted those phones, but no one actually bought them.

You mean the phones that were discontinued after a year because nobody wanted them? If stock Android mattered than Samsung wouldn't be at the top of the premium Android phone sales.

why? alternative success.

Those phones were only sold unlocked at full price (aka not subsidized), only online and only in the US... no wonder very few people ended up buying them

XAL

So I'm have a major fucking problem with my S8+, started last night.

I download an update and it just sits at 100% downloaded and does not install.

I have to restart the phone and open and close the play store a few times for it to install.

Sometimes I can't open apps.

When I click on a notification from my notifications it takes make back to home screen and proceeds to not open an app.

What fucking do.

Scanned my phone for malware and whatnot, nothing found. Cleared app cache. No difference.

LeleSocho

Banned
I want the performance,still think it looks like ass,especially the notification color and the settings.

Not saying any oem mastered it, but doesn't hurt for them to try.

I'm not against OEM's skins either actually i think it's great for diversification but they all seem to always lose that memo about design coherence and general performance.

I don't think stock, touchwiz, or any skin matters to anything but a very tiny minority of people these days.

I don't get that feeling in store honestly. So many costumers go nuts and their brain malfunctions if they don't see, for example, an app drawer button...

I have a good portion of costumers that seemingly can't deal with switching skins and it matters a bunch to them.

One has gotta wonder how the hell did those people were able to go from a feature phone to a smartphone...

Edit: I had a Samsung user a couple weeks ago that wouldn't let go of Samsung phones because you could swipe left or right in a contact in the contact list to either message or phone them instantly. Had to spend 90 minutes with him making him see that even though Huawei phones can't do that, they can do 20 things Samsung phones can't. Eventually he did buy the P10 Lite instead of the A3, but my God did I just feel like slapping him the whole way through.

Top Bottom