• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Loving Zelda BOTW so far, but....

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
So i grabbed this game along with a Switch a few weeks back. I'm loving the atmosphere, music, graphics, everything. I thought the weapon breaking was going to annoy me, but it hasn't due to the regular abundance of weapons laying around. Link does seem quite weak though right now, as i have quite a few one hit deaths. I'm hoping that gets better as i progress further.

The game gives you a ton of freedom to do anything you want in really any order that you want. And that really is kind of the issue i'm having with it at least right now. I'm somewhat still near the beginning with my main quests being to

-Decipher the locations of the pictures in today's world
-Destroy the 4 main baddies (forgot the names at the moment)

So since my gaming time is somewhat limited to an hour or two at night during the week at night, and i have other games i play too, i really want to have productive sessions when i play.

At this point in time with Zelda, i'm finding my time is mainly wandering around the map trying to find shrines so that i can build up my hearts. I have 6 hearts now, and i havent done anything with stamina yet....how important is that? I only tend to battle enemies that are the normal ones and i avoid the bigger ones because of the previously mentioned one hit deaths, or theyre armored and i cant damage them. So, am i doing anything wrong? I love the game so far, but i don't really feel like im progressing much and i feel that what's stopping me is the weakness of Link.

Mediking

Man... the beginning of the game is so good.

Invest in stamina...

Go to Gerudo first. TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gdt

Just do what you want. I explored the map and focused on stamina first. After did a main quest/temple. Then back to exploring. And etc.

trixx

The beginning was soo good for me. Legit addicted. 95 hours later and I've taken like a month and a half break from it. Will get back to finishing it, eventually.

Neiteio

For dungeon order, I recommend:

- Start with either the Zora dungeon (eastern region) or Rito dungeon (northwestern)

- After those two, do the Goron dungeon to northeast (volcano)

- Then do the Gerudo dungeon to southwest (desert)

I focused on hearts at first and was really annoyed trying to explore due to lack of stamina so focus on stamina, stamina, and more stamina. Now the game doesn't annoy as much since I can pretty much go wherever. I'm short on hearts but every guardian beast you beat gives you a heart container, the countless (unlimited?) items you pick up refill it, and you can make recipes to give you extra hearts if you need them.

phanphare

Banned
if you want to have productive sessions set goals for yourself when you start up. that's typically how I'd play. if I left off doing something I'd pick up where I left off, if I came to a stopping point I'd explore for a bit and see where I'd like to go and what I'd like to do. getting to high ground and scoping out the surrounding area is a good idea to see where you want to go.

also once you've figured out what you want to do be flexible about it. let yourself get sidetracked along the way.

If certain enemies are kicking your ass, either go somewhere else or avoid them.

As for stamina, I alternated between upgrading health and stamina.

lyrick

So since my gaming time is somewhat limited to an hour or two at night during the week at night, and i have other games i play too, i really want to have productive sessions when i play.

Gaming is a hobby, not a job. If you refrain from entertaining the idea that your queue of entertainment has deadlines and simply enjoy your time with it, you will probably increase your enjoyment of the hobby.

Just play the game the way you want to, The game was designed with player freedom in mind, and not centered around any notion of optimization or preferred path. Whichever way you maximize your own enjoyment from the title is the correct way.

My one tip is to talk to all of the kids playing in Hateno village during the day.

One of them leads you to a very important item.

For dungeon order, I recommend:

- Start with either the Zora dungeon (eastern region) or Rito dungeon (northwestern)

- After those two, do the Goron dungeon to northeast (volcano)

- Then do the Gerudo dungeon to southwest (desert)

Listen to this guy. Having cleared the game, I would recommend Rito as the first dungeon.

Timeaisis

Just go where your curiosity takes you. It's very hard to waste your time in BotW, as most everything leads to something worthwhile.

I've finished nearly all the main quests except for the damn memories thing. I can't find four of them.

I'm considering buying the expansion pass just so I know where I've been on the map.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Thanks all!! So it sounds like i need to invest in some stamina lol....i'm ready to do my next upgrade (might have enough for 2), so im going to put those into stamina.

One other Q....is there an easier way to get rupees? So far ive only got them from finding them under random rocks and by doing sidequests.

I focused on hearts at first and was really annoyed trying to explore due to lack of stamina so focus on stamina, stamina, and more stamina. Now the game doesn't annoy as much since I can pretty much go wherever. I'm short on hearts but every guardian beast you beat gives you a heart container, the countless (unlimited?) items you pick up refill it, and you can make recipes to give you extra hearts if you need them.

You realize there's a way to exchange hearts and stamina, right? Assuming you at least follow the first few waypoints (Kakariko and Hateno village) it's not hard to find

Outrun

Play the way you want to play.

It was all about the Master Sword for me, so I played appropriately.

I focused on stamina a bit more than health. You can get some good armor to sort of reduce your 1 hit deaths, and don't forget to cook a lot.

As for Link feeling a bit weak, two things help with that. First, Korok seeds and where you spend them help you
by increasing the amount of weapons you can carry
. Second, stop avoiding bigger/tougher enemies, because they tend to have better weapons. Once you start getting better weapons you can take on stronger enemies who tend to have even better weapons, so that might be why you think Link is too weak right now.

If you're having trouble beating tougher enemies, one good trick to get their weapons (besides stealth) is
either hit them with an electric weapon/arrow or drop electric chu jelly near them and blow it up. Almost every enemy will drop their weapon if they're electrocuted.

Thanks all!! So it sounds like i need to invest in some stamina lol....i'm ready to do my next upgrade (might have enough for 2), so im going to put those into stamina.

One other Q....is there an easier way to get rupees? So far ive only got them from finding them under random rocks and by doing sidequests.

The easiest way I've found is by mining. Selling your amber/opal and other gemstones is a really quick way to get rupees, although you'll likely need to hold on to some for some upgrades along the way.

BotW has an actual economy.

It's very rare to find "wild" rupees outside of treasure chests.

What this means is... you gotta sell shit if you want money.
What *that* means is... PICK. UP. EVERYTHING.

Anteo

Remember that there is only one main quest: Defeat Ganon. You dont need to do anything else. So grab the hylean armor, upgrade it to level 2 at least, get between 8 or 10 hearts and gi raid the castle. Finish the game
and sell it to someone else.

WhatNXt

One of the things I have always liked about the Zelda and Metroid series is that the games have a capability curve - your progress is rewarded with greater resilience and power. In a sense, the games get easier the further you progress. This is more true in BOTW than it was in other recent entries.

RE: the stamina wheel - and hitting shrines to up your hearts:
Having solid red hearts is important for one particular thing in the game, but for everything else you can supplement your hearts and stamina by cooking meals. The abundance of animals and vegetation in the game should make cooking easy. The only thing to bear in mind is that when an ingredient specifies it has some kind of status boosting effect - you musn't combine different types. So if one ingredient says it boosts your stamina, don't combine that with another ingredient designed to boost health.

The opening part of the game has an optional quest where you can discover the recipe the woodcutter uses to resist cold, and he will reward you with a warm doublet (clothing) for your efforts. However, you can cook any dish with the peppers, or equip a torch and make your way up to the tallest mountain on the plateau, and he will reward you with it all the same. No recipe puzzle required. Climbing the mountain with just a torch is more difficult than the alternatives, as Link will break his torch when attacking enemies, or douse the flame when he drops from a ledge or starts a climb. But that's one example of the way this game leaves the exploration and execution of it's quests entirely up to you.

I wasted a lot of time when I first played through - so I know what you mean about wanting to have productive play sessions. For a productive first play through, my initial advice would be this:

• When you leave the plateau, follow the instructions you're given and head to the duelling peaks. At the first stable, find a horse (spotted ones are easiest to tame when your stamina is low) and register it.
  • Proceed to Kakariko Village and speak to Impa there.
  • It felt to me as though the next 'intended' ports of call from there were Hateno Village, and
    Zora's Domain
    respectively. If you want to know how to get to the latter, the easiest route is to take the exit to the west of Kakariko Village and proceed across the shallow marshland North and North East.
  • Do every shrine you come across. If you find any moderate or major "test of strength" shrines and your health is still low, you don't have to do those right away. Placing the sheikah stone on the slate that opens the shrine door is enough to allow you to fast travel there later. Discovering a shrine by physically approaching it also stops the annoying noise from the sheikah sensor. Bonus!
  • When you get your sheikah slate's abilities in full - use the Camera on rare items. For example, before you blow up a rare mineral deposit, photograph it. This will come in handy later, and help you collect enough rupees to buy some of the more status resistant clothing available in the game.
  • Ore (acquired from mineral deposits) is intended for sale. I hoarded a lot of mine on my first play through, thinking there might be some greater good to come from it later. Don't do that. Sell it to Beedle or other store owners, and buy things you might need.
  • Search the husks of dead Guardians
  • You can repel Guardian attacks with a well timed parry of your shield. Its dangerous early on in the game, but if you get the technique down, killing the stationery guardians is a piece of cake.
  • It's ok to run away from enemies you're not ready for. Lynels, mobile Guardians and others are all beatable - even with a tree branch - but it's risky. Some of these things you can sneak by, others you can run from, and if you need a last ditch escape, you can fast travel to safety - even when falling.

Hope that helps! It's an amazing game

mcfrank

Kill the stone taluses that you find and then sell the gems they drop. When you see rock formations that sparkle bomb them or use a rock crusher weapon on them and sell the gems.

My tip is to not fast travel much. Just wandering is the most fun & you will eventually always stumble upon a shrine & multiple koroks.

I don't get the Gerudo love.

Hylian7

You do whatever the hell you want, and the game encourages that. I personally invested in Stamina early on, it was absolutely worth it. You may want to go fight harder shit, so maybe hearts is what you want in that case. Personally I'd recommend stamina.

I have a friend that played the game, and he told me many stories of "Yeah I was doing this thing, and then I was on the other side of the map an hour later because I saw something else interesting." breathofthewild.txt

When you're exploring the map, every session is "productive". Progression here isn't like traditional Zelda. You're exploring, you're finding Shrines, Koroks, weapons, armor, shields, bows, food, etc. You just do whatever you want and you're still progressing.

Hylian7

You realize there's a way to exchange hearts and stamina, right? Assuming you at least follow the first few waypoints (Kakariko and Hateno village) it's not hard to find

What's funny is when I played it, I missed it for a while. It wasn't until I needed more hearts for a certain thing that I had to look hard for it and find it. You can probably guess what it is I needed the hearts for.

-Decipher the locations of the pictures in today's world
Look for horse stables, a certain character will give you a hint for each picture. You will find them naturally as you explore.

-Destroy the 4 main baddies (forgot the names at the moment)
If you're lost look for paths in your map. If you go to
Kakariko
Village and
follow the north path
you will find one pretty soon.

I still can't figure out where the fuck to hand in my korok seeds after getting that dude his maraccas.

I'm backed up here.

nickerous

Put in over 130 hours so far. Beat the game, but still so much I haven't found. Just discovered that
you can get an extra stamina wheel by eating a delicacy at one of the stables....east Akkla, maybe?

So much in this game....not even counting the DLC...

Greddleok

The initial parts of the game are my favourite. Once you've done the main quest it gets a little boring, but man, that sense of openness at the beginning is just incredible. Unrivalled by anything I've ever played before.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Great tips you guys, i really appreciate it!!!! Gonna dig back into it tonight. Good to know that i'm not doing anything wrong lol I am going to invest in some stamina for the next couple shrines at least, for sure!

One last Q....are there any unbreakable weapons at all? And along those lines....if im in a shrine and use my sword to smack a switch to activate it, does that count against it's deterioration or is that only in battle?

BotW is a game you should negotiate on your own terms, OP.

The ONLY tip I will give you is to try to spam Lizalfos for those Lizal Tri-Boomerangs and preserve them for important battles. They're quick, durability is good, and they do considerable damage, plus you can throw them.

Seriously, do what you think you should. Don't listen to other people telling you what to do.

Part of the game's charm is that each playthrough is unique because it's up to you on how you want to complete each task. Don't be afraid to try something out--dying isn't a big deal.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Had similar feelings early on. Game clicked with me once I forced myself to head to a divine beast. I started with Zora. Gave me just enough structure to help get me into the game full stop.

WhatNXt

One last Q....are there any unbreakable weapons at all? And along those lines....if im in a shrine and use my sword to smack a switch to activate it, does that count against it's deterioration or is that only in battle?

Unbreakable weapons? Yes.
Well, one. It still becomes temporarily unusable if used in a certain state - which it is in most of the time, but the recently released DLC allows you to essentially make it unbreakable. If you can beat an incredibly tough challenge that is.
You will also find weapons in the game that have increased durability.

Does hitting switches count towards deterioration? Yes. It would normally take a lot of hits, but they count. There are some shrines that require you to use stasis on balls and other objects, and then hit them with your weapons. I've had my weapons break in those scenarios.

I've developed my stamina and hearts more or less at the same rate. However stamina is must have for being able to make long climbs and being able to reach high points means you'll be able to discover shrines, towers and interesting looking places more easily. Those places tend to yield rewards so a bit of extra stamina seems to be worth the investment

Top Bottom