• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Loving Zelda BOTW so far, but....

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
My one tip is to talk to all of the kids playing in Hateno village during the day.

One of them leads you to a very important item.
The one who asks you to show him different weapons? I only did the first one, is it worth completing that side quest?

13ruce

Banned
Just do whatever you feel like man.
Awesome game the freedom can be much but once you dip in and do what you want it's amazing.

I recommend doing the divine beasts or atleast 1 if you are a bit worn out on exploring etc. I especially recommend either doing the Gerudo or Zora one first those 2 are pretty darn good.

SoulUnison

Banned
I absolutely don't recommend doing the southwestern or Death Mountain regions first, as they introduce fairly complex traversal and/or the necessity to have a stock of climate-appropriate meals/elixirs/equipment.

Only spoiler I'll give: The bosses are super easy, dont over prepare. If you think you're doing too much you probably are, and then you'll walk into Ganon and it'll be disappointing.

Crayolan

Stamina is much more valuable than hearts because enemies will be 1-2 shotting you for a long, long time. The secret to getting over that wall isn't getting as much health as possible, it's learning the combat and knowing the best way to handle each enemy.

Stamina on the other hand will let you run for longer periods, climb more terrain, and greatly increase your damage output (once you figure out a certain move). If you don't like the high difficulty, investing in some hearts will help ease it just a little bit, but don't neglect stamina entirely.

As for what to do and where to go, just a pick a place and try to figure out how to get to it. Every new area you discover is progress. Remember, you don't need to any of the things you listed in the OP. All you need to do is get stronger until you feel confident enough to take on the final boss.

Elfteiroh

Reading thread like this makes me very happy that Nintendo suddenly decided to make the dream game I hoped for all my life... I now can explain clearly what I want in a game, and point to something that succeeded doing that, instead of being dismissed as a mad dreamer...

Kremzeek

i kinda followed the main story quests, doing 2 of the major bosses, then last weekend decided i wanted to unlock ALL of the towers in all regions so i could see everything and have good teleports.

was super fun just trying to figure out how to get to all the towers.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
i kinda followed the main story quests, doing 2 of the major bosses, then last weekend decided i wanted to unlock ALL of the towers in all regions so i could see everything and have good teleports.

That's what ive been doing too along with finding alot of the shrines along the way. You've all inspired me to get back into this tonight for sure. Thanks again, that's why i love it here lol

Jarlaxle

I filled up all 30 hearts before I invested anything into stamina and had no problems traversing the world.

As others have said, do what you feel like. I might suggest taking on the Rito dungeon. Shouldn't really be a problem for you with 6 hearts and you'll gain another full heart there and you'll feel like you've made good progress.

Kangi

First thing I did off of the plateau was go due south, pick up some good weapons by the tower, and spend a bunch of time around the stable before taking my newly-cooked food into the jungle where I promptly died a lot to thunder lizards.

It was great.

I wouldn't rush into doing the dungeons. Set your own path and build yourself up a bit.

You should use bows to take down tougher enemies. You should be able to beat most blue enemies with head shots. Don't forget to burn grass for updrafts or jump off cliffs to paraglide and activate bullet time shooting.

Invest in pricey elemental arrows sold in towns by selling gemstones and any monster part you are hoarding. You can cook food and sell them for way more money.

You should also head to Hateno Village if you haven't upgraded your Sheikah slate.

After that, go back to Karkariko village and talk to Impa. Then talk to the painter guy who leads you to the fairy fountain. There are 3-4 fairies you have to use stealth to take. They are like auto-revive you if you die.

Also, pick up veggies and enemy parts near forest or ponds. Use stasis to scan for both in the field. Likewise, use magnesis to scan for metal weapons or even treasure chests in ponds, lakes, and rivers.

I also recommend you do the Zora Divine Beast first. If you explore the region between Karkario and Hateno village, then you can't miss it. You will get an ability afterwards that makes you survive way longer in combat.

Edit: Looks like you already upgraded part of your Sheikah slate. I recommend upgrading it fully. Especially the
stasis since you can only freeze inanimate objects right now. hint hint

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, from time to time I get the urge to paint the map a little more. I'm currently exploring the southern/southeastern regions, before doing the
Rito and Goron Divine Beast quests
. By doing that I randomly completed a side quest I had been given in
Zora's Domain
and also managed to catch and tame a new horse, which is much better than the one I had before (it's also blue, and looks totally cool).

I'm pretty low on shrines though. Think I haven't beaten 40 yet, which is weird because I tried to explore many places. No idea where to find them.

Yeah, from time to time I get the urge to paint the map a little more. I'm currently exploring the southern/southeastern regions, before doing the
Rito and Goron Divine Beast quests
. By doing that I randomly completed a side quest I had been given in
Zora's Domain
and also managed to catch and tame a new horse, which is much better than the one I had before (it's also blue, and looks totally cool).

I'm pretty low on shrines though. Think I haven't beaten 40 yet, which is weird because I tried to explore many places. No idea where to find them.

Some shrines are well hidden in caves and are hard to find without the Shrine sensor. A lot of them require a shrine quest too. Best way to find the others is to go somewhere high and look from above at nighttime. The lights on the shrine will give them away.

At daytime, look at the sky for where birds are circling. Shrines may be there as well.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Some shrines are well hidden in caves and are hard to find without the Shrine sensor. A lot of them require a shrine quest too. Best way to find the others is to go somewhere high and look from above at nighttime. The lights on the shrine will give them away.

At daytime, look at the sky for where birds are circling. Shrines may be there as well.
Yeah, there's one near a waterfall that I couldn't find, even with the sensor. I didn't think of searching at night, that's a good tip. Didn't know about the birds either, thanks!

No. the one who
leads you to the statue that lets you swap stamina and heart upgrades.
Oh right, I did that one and found that.

ozfunghi

I think i must have balanced my playthrough rather well, since i finished the game at 105 hours, and never had a dull moment. I gradually improved health and hearts. When i felt like just exploring, i would do some towers, look for korok seeds, search for shrines or the locations of the pictures/memories. Or do some hunting and cooking. Mix that up with side quests that are related to the main quests and i had a very pleasant and meaty experience with Zelda. Really refreshing. I didn't even get to making potions and only met the
creepy monster guy
once. Didn't even bother with the "supergear". I didn't even do any of the mazes either, so i finished the game at my own pace and progressed when i wanted to, not because i felt i had to. When i finished the
lizard
titan, i was ready to face Ganon, but decided to visit the
Koroks and the Deku tree
first, as well as the island where you have to face the
"wildernis trial" where you get stripped
. Just because i didn't want to finish the game yet.

Linkyn

For dungeon order, I recommend:

- Start with either the Zora dungeon (eastern region) or Rito dungeon (northwestern)

- After those two, do the Goron dungeon to northeast (volcano)

- Then do the Gerudo dungeon to southwest (desert)

This is pretty accurate. My order was Rito - Zora - Gerudo - Goron. Goron and Gerudo are not recommendable at first because you need to deal with environmental obstacles in order to get to them. I'd personally go for the Rito first because of its reward.

Other than that, if you come across a shrine, do it (unless it's moderate / major test of strength). There's a shrine near every major settlement and stables for fast travelling. Tame a wild horse to get around more quickly if you can. If you come across something that looks a bit out of place, see if you can't find a Korok. Avoid central Hyrule. Try not to sell any monster parts when attempting to buy a piece of armor, they'll be very useful later on.

ReyVGM

One other Q....is there an easier way to get rupees? So far ive only got them from finding them under random rocks and by doing sidequests.

If you explore the map, you'll come across these black rocks that give you gems when you destroy them. Sell those for easy cash.

One last Q....are there any unbreakable weapons at all? And along those lines....if im in a shrine and use my sword to smack a switch to activate it, does that count against it's deterioration or is that only in battle?

All weapons break. Just don't use them to hit stuff. You can use arrows to hit switches (and then you can pick the arrow up again), or bombs.

Top Bottom