• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: "Microsoft's final sales pitch for Xbox One X falls flat"

...It was hard to make head or tail of what Microsoft's Gamescom show had set out to achieve. In an hour and a half of reheated E3 trailers and recaps, there was perhaps one announcement of a genuine exclusive for Xbox: a vertical console stand for the day one edition of the Xbox One X, as unpackaged by Major Nelson in an abandoned office on the other side of the world.
It all brought up the same question that kept recurring again and again - who is this thing for, and what's Microsoft setting out to achieve with the Xbox One X? Its mantra, repeated ad infinitum in official material, is that this is The World's Most Powerful Console, and of that there's little doubt. It's the world's most handsome, too, a beautifully designed and improbably minuscule slab of technology that'd sit proudly under any television set, but while Microsoft's engineers have hit it out of the park, there's the nagging feeling that elsewhere in Redmond things aren't running quite so smoothly.
...At this point in the console lifecycle, Microsoft needs more than prettier versions of multiplatform games if it's to make serious inroads into Sony's considerable lead this generation.

It needs new and exciting games, and just one reason to make the Xbox One X essential - an Uncharted, or a Breath of the Wild, to make the console's case for it. Forza Motorsport 7, as fine as it looks, doesn't quite cut it - alongside Gears of War and Halo, it feels like yesterday's news, and not the shot in the arm that's needed right now.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-21-microsofts-final-sales-pitch-for-xbox-one-x-falls-flat

Ouch

mindsale

Talk about Eurogamer biting the hand that feeds them with exclusive breakdowns of the tech.

Couldn't agree more though. Has nothing on offer.

mjc

Kind of on point, but they were never gonna have a bunch of announcements yesterday. It wasn't E3.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
A boon for the fans, with a little exclusive vertical stand thrown in to boot. Given the hits the brand has taken over the past few years, staying upright might be all that can be asked for right now.

Ha, oh shit.

I kept watching for the punchline..... It didn't happen.

Good luck selling the X to new (non-xbox one owning) consumers Microsoft, you're gonna need it.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I want the console, but...where are the exclusive games? It's like they gave up on game on development .

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I still don't understand why people thought they were going to suddenly drop a whole bunch of new games at gamescom.

They never said they would.

I'd say it's an amazing system for someone who doesn't yet own a current gen console and has the money to afford it. Or perhaps the most hardcore of current Xbox users who already have lots invested in that system

But other than that...yeah it's a really hard sell. I really don't know who they're after with it.

MisterR

Yep. MS has remembered everything, except the most important part of a game console, the games. The time for best looking version of multiplats is at the start of a generation. That boat has long since sailed and there isn't a singe Xbox exclusive that is essential to have.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yep. MS has remembered everything, except the most important part of a game console, the games. The time for best looking version of multiplats is at the start of a generation. That boat has long since sailed and there isn't a singe Xbox exclusive that is essential to have.

Come on now... Don't turn this thread into garbage on the first page.

Lime

Unless you're into Forza or Halo or Gears of War, I have seen little to no reason to get an Xbox console, especially when you're not in the US and if you're missing out on the valuable exclusives of other consoles.

There were true 4K editions of Disneyland Adventures, Rush: A Disney Pixar Adventure and Zoo Tycoon, all perfect for the discerning seven-year-old in your household who throws a hissy fit at the mere mention of checkerboarding.

LOL

...At this point in the console lifecycle, Microsoft needs more than prettier versions of multiplatform games if it's to make serious inroads into Sony's considerable lead this generation.

I have the exact opposite take. People are buying consoles for multiplatform games more than exclusives. Having the best tech to match the new TV to play Battlefront 2 or whatever is in line with the market.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

There's not a PC, Switch or PS4 exclusive that's essential to have, either.

Rellik

Unless you're into Forza or Halo or Gears of War, I have seen little to no reason to get an Xbox console, especially when you're not in the US and if you're missing out on the valuable exclusives of other consoles.

And if you have a PC and can actually use the terrible Windows Store then there is even less reason.

Tizoc

I know nobody plays the BC 360 and OG Xbox games but come on man, that's one main attraction to the system for me.

Xater

I mean, they are Not wrong. MS doesnt really have a games lineup to excite. Battlegrounds is a nice get, but that is not good enough if the rest of your lineup is uninspired and has a release schedule you can predict way in advance.

MisterR

Come on now.

What Xbox One exclusive is essential to have. Which one is one of the games that will define this generation? They have some solid exclusives, but as Eurogamer mentions, Forza, Halo and Gears feel like relics at this point.

Peroroncino

There were true 4K editions of Disneyland Adventures, Rush: A Disney Pixar Adventure and Zoo Tycoon, all perfect for the discerning seven-year-old in your household who throws a hissy fit at the mere mention of checkerboarding.

Yooo, this article is pure gold haha.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
What Xbox One exclusive is essential to have. Which one is one of the games that will define this generation? They have some solid exclusives, but as Eurogamer mentions, Forza, Halo and Gears feel like relics at this point.

Sunset overdrive.
Ori and the blind Forest.
Killer Instinct.

N7.Angel

Can't say it false, I'm still getting one cause I can't resist new hardware and have the money for it but I can see why people that have lower income would think more about what's good for them at gaming standpoint and the PS4 Pro has a better library of games at a lower price, I can already see a drop price for the holidays too.

Sunset overdrive.
Ori and the blind Forest.
Killer Instinct.

two of them aren't exclusive and can be play on any PC.

I do agree theyve made a fantastic piece of hardware but at 500 i cant help but agree with eg, theres just no draw for me personally.
Ignoring the fact that i have a gaming pc, itd still be very uninteresting to me as a ps4 pro owner.
Atm all i grasp is that it does what the pro does but shinier and lacks the edge in software support while costing a fair bit more.

jelly

Microsoft are putting on a brave face, no doubt about that.

You can't show games that don't exist and I'm sceptical they are even thinking beyond Halo, Gears, Forza, Minecraft. That's my worry.

Still, something like Read Dead, Battlefront plays best on Xbox One X, that's something, how much that translates into more Xbox sales, I'm not sure, it's a hardcore device right so not a lot?

A boon for the fans, with a little exclusive vertical stand thrown in to boot. Given the hits the brand has taken over the past few years, staying upright might be all that can be asked for right now

giphy.gif

I am grabbing a One X and I thought that showing was bad.

I know Gamescom isn't an E3 level event but when Sony has two major events in the calendar year to show off games maybe it's a good idea to prioritise a second event for major announcements.

The real fear is that they really do have nothing new to announce.

ps4 pro has been out almost a year and they still cant communicate to the masses why purchasing a ps4 pro over a std ps4 is worth it

the pitch is much better for the X1x simply because of the shit specs of the X1s compared to the base ps4

Yeah I might have been interested if there were some damn games.

As it is I'll probably just be buying a One S on black friday, and that's only because Sony fucked up by not putting a 4K blu ray drive in the Pro.

Top Bottom