• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else dislikes Nintendo's current love for washed out color schemes?

Is that a good reason? Because real-life? Most games have weather with good colors

Yes because the game is very much based on actual sightlines and visibility as a tool in exploration/navigation. Most games just have arrows pointing you everywhere. If you've put any time into the game you should understand this.

Yes because the game is very much based on actual sightlines and visibility as a tool in exploration/navigation. Most games just have arrows pointing you everywhere. If you've put any time into the game you should understand this.

We're talking about colors here, not sightliness or visibility. You can still have opaque fog / haze without blanching the screen. And yes I put about 130 hours into the game so don't try that angle.

You said most games have good colors during weather and I said you're wrong. Also it would help if you actually played Breath of the Wild because it's such an overblown issue.

I was referring to the fact that saying "because that's how it works in real-life" excuses it while I think not. Games are not IRL.

ramparter

Banned
How "washed out" BotW looks is almost entirely dependent on time of day and weather.

And Mario looks plenty colorful already.
To be fair I still think its too washed out, I d rather it were more Wind Wakery.

But choosing Mario to make his point? Lol.

OP you could have used Mario Kart 8, for a mk title the game could use more color.

We're talking about colors here, not sightliness or visibility. You can still have opaque fog / haze without blanching the screen. And yes I put about 130 hours into the game so don't try that angle.

So you just want to see blotches of nondescript color through whatever weather/lighting is affecting visibility? Trying to understand how you think seeing colors is somehow separate from seeing the environment in the first place.

Odyssey looks fine to me

super-mario-odyssey_2ktuzg.jpg

wtf Nintendo is this drab colorless shite is this Mario Act Zero the gritty reboot

kubev

I thought that was the point

Fog is one thing.
Forcing the player to follow a short character who's running through tall, aliased grass from a distance with washed-out colors and bad (bilinear) texture filtering ensuring that anything that's further than ten feet in the distance looks absolutely horrible is another.

exfatal

Here are a few screencaps i got myself during my play through

<3 <3 <3
C7bBFDwU8AcTGD2.jpg:large
Cloudy day with my deer friend
C7bAracU0AAJozb.jpg:large

C7bAanzVoAAcVhk.jpg:large

C7bAMR5VAAABnV2.jpg:large

C7a_8yvUwAAxrmW.jpg:large

C7a_LrSV0AIRkBX.jpg:large

i love this dance
a bit cuter when the little girl does it though
C7a-0PFVAAAwUZ0.jpg:large

C6nVH0UVoAE0veb.jpg:large

Sry Op but your honest opinion is wrong game colors look great.
but im sure you'll ignore this just liek all the other post proving you wrong right?

So you just want to see blotches of nondescript color through whatever weather/lighting is affecting visibility? Trying to understand how you think seeing colors is somehow separate from seeing the environment in the first place.

I'm saying you don't need to blanch the whole game frame, no one is talking about "blotches of nondescript color". For example there is still fog and clouds in bright afternoon, where the game looks the best, in the mountains and such.

Xbro

Fog is one thing.
Forcing the player to follow a short character who's running through tall, aliased grass from a distance with washed-out colors and bad (bilinear) texture filtering ensuring that anything that's further than ten feet in the distance looks absolutely horrible is another.

Sounds like some beef. You know that during that particular quest you can just hang back and wait for him to talk right? You can see the dialogue boxes through everything.

I don't see how that would assist me in getting my point accross?, i did the same for all my examples. Used Google images for ALL of them.

Complete bullshit. When you googled for Mario, what results did you get? Obviously Google doesn't give them out one by one, you had at the very least say, ~20 to choose from. You then just so happened to pick out specifically an old pre-reveal screengrab of horrendous quality and use that as your "evidence" here. Ask yourself why you wouldn't choose any of the countless results of the actual game as it has been revealed?

Complete bullshit. When you googled for Mario, what results did you get? Obviously Google doesn't give them out one by one, you had at the very least say, ~20 to choose from. You then just so happened to pick out specifically an old pre-reveal screengrab of horrendous quality and use that as your "evidence" here. Ask yourself why you wouldn't choose any of the countless results of the actual game as it has been revealed?
Especially when he previously had access to good quality screenshots that he then "corrected" in another thread.

Things aren't adding up.

Platy

And the ps3 examples are amazing. One is a game nobody played and other is a game known for the lack of colors.

It would only be more hilarious if it had an Unfinished Swan screen in the ps3 side

spekkeh

Banned
why does BotW take place in Beijing

hideous
At least three of those shots, and nice of you to include obvious spoilers by the way, are intentionally hazy to convey a sense of scale. It's raining in the other two. This followup clearly shows the reason for the haze.

They could have made this game look a lot better with a little less chemical smog everywhere (and this was just me, totally not a game visual design professional, toying with contrast for like 1 minute per pic)

zelda_temple-1200x675.jpg

cqairUw.jpg

The temple of time feels like an imposing structure in the first shot and a maquette in the second one.

(also the second is really ugly yeesh)

The nice thing about Zelda is that everything looks really far away but then when you travel towards it, you get places pretty quickly. The haze plays a part in this.

-shadow-

Rather Breath of the Wild has a hazy/washed out look to it depends on multiple factors in game. Time of day, location and weather. I don't really see it in any of their other games outside of maybe Wind Waker HD due to the ridiculous amounts of bloom in that game.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Wait... you're telling me that i need to play a game before i can have an opinion on how it looks?, i have watched dozens of YT videos, streams, reviews you name it. So excuse me but i have a very good grasp on how it looks, night time does look better but could still use work. Also... another hostile reply, funny.

Oh, boy now this gave me a good laugh.

OP clinging on to some screenshots and videos he's seen of foggy areas turning that into the whole game ->>>> Hasn't even played the game.

From OPs past posts it just seems like he is mad that he can't play Zelda on his PS4/X1/PC and is lashing out in frustration.

Vinnk

OP it's your google that is broken. I got much better results for both of those games. Unless your search was:

"Extremely washed out Zelda Breath of the Wild screenshots"

Fake edit: Holy crap, when I search for "washed out Zelda" your shot is the 5th hit!

OP is dead wrong. Zelda is gorgeous. Mario, Splatoon, Arms, Mario Kart are all super colourful and bright. OP doesn't have a Switch and hasn't played Zelda.
Ignore post and move on.

massoluk

Banned
Wait... you're telling me that i need to play a game before i can have an opinion on how it looks?, i have watched dozens of YT videos, streams, reviews you name it. So excuse me but i have a very good grasp on how it looks, night time does look better but could still use work. Also... another hostile reply, funny.

The thing is I and many others have also watched dozen of YT videos, streams, reviews you name it and you are legitimately the first person I have seen with this issue

People don't reach the conclusion "Nintendo games are washed out" after seeing Mario, ARMS, or Splatoon.

RedFyn

Im assuming this is what you mean?
wiiu_screenshot_tv_01c7ung.jpg

There are times where it looks fine and times where it looks great. I don't think it ever looks bad though. As I said before, the neon colors really pop in this game and it's easy on the eyes. I think its also much better in motion with the wind blowing through the grass as the clouds float by. It just adds a lot to the look and makes it so much better.

And yeah, the weather definitely plays a part. It looks gorgeous during a bright sunny day.

My only other SS just because
wiiu_screenshot_tv_01bekjx.jpg

Nanashrew

Banned
At least three of those shots, and nice of you to include obvious spoilers by the way, are intentionally hazy to convey a sense of scale. It's raining in the other two. This followup clearly shows the reason for the haze.

The temple of time feels like an imposing structure in the first shot and a maquette in the second one.

Correction, it doesn't rain in the desert :p

That's a sandstorm the camel is surrounded by.

But yeah, the elephant is splashing water all over the place, of course it's going to create some mist and haze.

Kurt

And this isn't ?
dark-souls-3.jpg

You are looking in it to much.
It''s far from true that nintendo games are washed out.
It's true that they are more colorful, which is a good thing (variation).

spekkeh

Banned
Correction, it doesn't rain in the desert :p

That's a sandstorm the camel is surrounded by.

But yeah, the elephant is splashing water all over the place, of course it's going to create some mist and haze.
No but a Titan is meant to look big. If you don't add haze, especially on a mobile screen, it will just look like a blown up scale model.

Dremorak

Banned
C6dXAD_VAAEZyNA.jpg

C6dW5eXUwAA833D.jpg

C7TqqYWVsAEE5t7.jpg

It may appear a little washed out when its raining/overcast, which the areas near the start are... but holy hell does it look beautiful in general.

Mistle

So from switch to FB to imgur the compression sucks.. but it should be enough to demonstrate. Yeah the games weather can get hazy at times, but it's not a constant and personally I feel it adds to the aesthetic of the game. There's heaps of colour in BotW and the game is stunning.

RedFyn

C6dXAD_VAAEZyNA.jpg

C6dW5eXUwAA833D.jpg

C7TqqYWVsAEE5t7.jpg

It may appear a little washed out when its raining/overcast, which the areas near the start are... but holy hell does it look beautiful in general.
Great shots. I keep wanting to take more SS but the time it takes to do so means less playing so I don't.

That's taken directly from there.

They were showing art, that has nothing to do with what he said.

....try to read directly after that

And another technique, the one we're talking about today

True, (there usually are also birds in BotW) but you can't have birds everywhere, it would look ridiculous. Better to add some subtle progressing washing out into the engine.

I mean birds are just one example, the important thing is to have a scaled anchor visual if only momentarily so that the mind can properly scale the object, can be passing birds, but it can also be grass, trees, mushrooms on a cliff, etc.

I am seeing this trend with Nintendo games where the color schemes are washed out and they seem to be overdoing the... bloom lighting? (WW HD), this seems to be continuing with BotW and the new Mario game, i think it does their games a disservice. They would look much better with more contrast while dialing down the bloom lighting.

Thoughts?

There is way to brighten up the colours that have been talked about in this thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1353442

Basically in Switch System settings Turn RGB from Auto to Full, it's night and day if your TV supports it

Top Bottom