• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there any reason to think a mainline Animal Crossing is not coming to Switch?

This is my paranoia talking, but after finally saying goodbye to New Leaf, along with my 3DS, and trading up for a Switch, I started to wonder if Nintendo's focus for the series hasn't shifted to the upcoming mobile game.

My fear is that the mobile game does exceedingly well and development for a mainline entry for the Nintendo Switch becomes less of a priority.

Totally unfounded, I realize, but I'm thinking discussion here could also deal with the timeframe in which we might see an announcement for a new AC, along with what can be done with AC on the Nintendo Switch. What would you guys like to see for AC on Switch?

No chance. It may not be for a year or 2 but there is no way AC skips the switch all together. It has the potential to be close to the best selling game on the platform. They'll continue to do what they've done with other mobile games, leverage the increase awareness of the brand on mobile to push the game on their dedicated device.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I expect AC Mobile this Fall/Holiday and AC Switch Spring 18 at the earliest...but more likely Summer 18, taking the Spot that Splatoon 2 has this year.
Nintendo isn't going to abandon a 2M+ sellers.

If by +2m seller you mean +10m - yeah.
But anyway the answer is the same for every big Nintendo IP - of course the new maingames will hit Switch.

kizmah

I just don't see the mobile game be a full fledged AC with all the bells and whistles. But I do see it as a great promotion for a full on Switch title. This hybrid console is the perfect home for Animal Crossing.

AC: New Lead sold like 10 million copies.

I think it's reasonable to believe they are working on a Switch version.

Edit: don't think mobile will play a big factor, but I'm saying this not knowing what they are going with that game. Who knows, but I'm sure console AC isn't done

Shahadan

I'm way more excited for the Switch version than for whatever the mobile game is going to be.
Shame we're not going to hear about the Switch version for a while

Bluth54

I wonder if there was a mainline Animal Crossing ever in development for the Wii U that Nintendo decided to push back to the Switch.

Zedark

I expect them to release a mainline AC game the season after the mobile game releases. So, that'll be Q1 or Q2 of CY2018. There's no reason to fear it disappearing from Nintendo hardware, as that is not the goal of Nintendo's mobile plans, and furthermore foesn't seem to affect pokémon and Fire Emblem all that much.

Does Nintendo hate money all of a sudden?
250px-MetroidPrimeFederationForceBoxartNorthAmerica.png

kitsuneyo

I wonder if there was a mainline Animal Crossing ever in development for the Wii U that Nintendo decided to push back to the Switch.

There was that Plaza thing on Wii U. They have it all ready for HD. Switch is portable. It's gotta be a safe bet.

KJRS_1993

An Animal Crossing on Switch would hugely speed up my getting one, and I doubt I'm the only one. They'd be daft not to.

Animal Crossing isn't some niche franchise that only 5 people care about, like F-Zero, it's consistently been a multi-million selling series. Nintendo would have to really hate money to not continue making Animal Crossing games on their systems

Nah, they'll definitely make one, especially after skipping the Wii U.

They made that big New Leaf update last year and Splatoon 2 is almost out, so next Q3/Q4 2018 is a solid bet. I don't think it will be announced at E3, though. They might save the reveal until closer to release.

Cartho

Of course not - why would Nintendo not put one of their biggest sellers onto their shiny new hardware? I mean I know it is well suited to mobile platforms but then again so is Hearthstone and you don't see Blizzard just saying "FUCK IT LOL" and ditching the PC as the primary platform for it....

ZeroX03

Banned
Of course it's coming. They're not going to waste those shiny HD graphics on the Plaza app and Amiibo Festival. It'll sell millions to boot.

I think a new mainline entry is definitely coming, although like Pokemon, I wouldn't be surprised if it was on both, 3ds & Switch. My partner is a huge AC fan, basically deep in the core demographic for it, and wants it on her 3ds if it comes. Yea though, I don't think there's worry it won't happen, or that it'll be mobile only. They experimented with the spin off games the last few years and opted for an expansion to New Leaf in the meantime but my guess is they took away that they should work on a full new entry next.

The last mainline game on dedicated hardware made like half a billion dollars in revenue. AC is among the most safe of Nintendo IPs.

In fact, I doubt the expansion into mobile will prevent any Nintendo IPs from having mainline games on Switch.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It hasn't been announced so no one can say whether it is coming or not.

They dont have to announce it for us to know that its coming. Every big Nintendo IP will be on Switch.

Oersted

Smartphones games are ads for the main games.

Pokémon Go was followed by the very successful Sun and Moon for 3DS, Super Mario Run will be followed by Super Mario Odyssey and was used to advertise Mario Maker and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe(both selling really well) and Fire Emblem has already a new mainline entry announced for Switch.

Maybe because smartphones? Personally, it seems like the perfect platform for this games...

You should have read OP.

TheJoRu

The mobile game doing well will only be further incentive to go big on a new mainline game for Switch. The point of their mobile strategy is to bolster their dedicated gaming platforms (while providing some extra revenue), so it's with that in mind that they'll develop the Animal Crossing mobile game, and any success will be used to try to make the next AC on dedicated platforms an even bigger seller.

EDIT: I expect the next Animal Crossing to be announced at E3 for a 2018 release, and then released spring 2018 in Japan and summer 2018 in the West.

Top Bottom