• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Earthbound prototype cartridge found at yard sale

Whoa, so it even still has a developer's save on it? Wouldn't the battery be dead by now?

Likely would be but is still working in this case thankfully.

Hoping he doesn't plan on selling it, but hope there will be rom dump.

I can't even imagine what rich collectors may try to offer on this.

PSqueak

Banned
Whoa, so it even still has a developer's save on it? Wouldn't the battery be dead by now?

I think it's...weird they assume it's the dev's save file, he found it among a stack of common games, likely this "Barbara" person gave it to someone they knew for their kids and the save file is just from whoever owned all the other common games.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Dump the rom online and sell it 😍😍

(Sell the cart not the rom)

Triple Dash

Neo Member
Awesome. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would make it the 2nd prototype cart of the game that has been found in the past 20 years?

iclash

Nice, John Hancock. He's a regular guest on Metal Jesus Rocks. His game collection, esp Sega stuff, is like nothing else.

opoth

Banned
If it's anything like the prototype floating around the Internet from years ago, the game may
be unfinishable. They had to hack out protections in a couple places in the existing version.

nusilver

I think it's...weird they assume it's the dev's save file, he found it among a stack of common games, likely this "Barbara" person gave it to someone they knew for their kids and the save file is just from whoever owned all the other common games.

Except the name on the file is "Erich," an uncommon spelling of that name, and Bethesda's Erich Waas was a game tester/counselor at NOA during that time. Coincidence? I doubt it.

drspeedy

Except the name on the file is "Erich," an uncommon spelling of that name, and Bethesda's Erich Waas was a game tester/counselor at NOA during that time. Coincidence? I doubt it.

How... He was? But how in the world does GAF go this deep... I'm sometimes amazed, like the epic "Geist nudity thread".

You people are amazing

Glad this stuff is still being found. I'd be happy just finding Earthbound complete. An Eartbound prototype would completely blow my mind.

Top Bottom