• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beta_fuse

Playing in tablet mode using the joy cons is giving me an input lag. I tried it for the first time yesterday and it was pretty obvious during my BOTW session. Gonna be tough to play games like Smash and timing-based games like Rhythm Heaven in that mode.

Can't wait for Mario Kart to come out. I need something pick up and play. Zelda is kinda demanding it to play in longer bursts. Plus the new battlemode looks really fun in the Nintendo Minute video.

deleted

So, after 2.5 weeks with the Switch I want to give my review for now.

There's just so much to love about the Switch:

The OS (fast and to the point, no commercials that get thrown in your face, no gimmick like the Miis that makes everything slow...) - I know that there are a few things missing, but for now, I'm really satisfied with the foundation that's there. Future updates will hopefully improve in functionality without taking away the snappiness.

The Pro Controller
- it's a bit on the expensive side, but it feels the part too. It's a fantastic controller, maybe the best for it's time since the 360 controller. No analog triggers, but so far that doesn't matter with the game selection that's there.

The portability factor - I was pretty sure to use the Switch 90-100% as a home console, but man does the ease of portability change things. Train rides just burn by and so far the battery didn't die on me either. I get a good 3 hours of Zelda out of it, maybe a little more.

The Screen - taking it along wouldn't be the same without the great screen.

The ease of use of your personal play-style - Pro Controller, Joycon-Grip or 2 single Joycons. It's easy to change up and all versions work great. Played a lot of 2 player KoF and Tetris this weekend and the grip felt comfortable faster than I thought it would. Even worked great on KoF which I wouldn't have guessed.

Buuut the are just some baffling decisions and quality missteps that I'm just not used to by Nintendo.
I still have a working SNES, GCN, the Wii and the Wii U. Most of them launch day purchases and all of them feel great from a quality standpoint. The Switch however does not:

The Joycon Issue - I got it while playing with the Grip 1.5m away from the console without anything in the way. And I lost several Puyo Puyo Tetris games because of it. Kinda big handed guy, but it should work nonetheless. Not really sure how to proceed, but I guess/hope this will get sorted out.

The Screen scratching issue - I bought a screen protector, so it doesn't really affect me, but if I had bought a different protector, it would have most likely melted by now.

The Color issue - the back of the console is covered in different versions of 'black' by now. Simply because I held it. And not to an excessive amount either. No idea how it will look after a year of use, if this is a thing after 2.5 weeks with 4 train rides. The SNES got kinda yellow after a few years - I get that, it happens, but after 2 weeks of normal use? That just sounds like an oversight.

So while I couldn't be happier from an OS/Software or Concept standpoint, I'm really not sure about the hardware and the longevity of these 1st generation Switches.
If you can hold out for these issues to get fixed, hold out, but I'd say the Switch is definitively a fresh concept executed to the point and should be considered for anyone that likes gaming on the move and is excited about a return to form from Nintendo.

PSFan

If you can hold out for these issues to get fixed, hold out, but I'd say the Switch is definitively a fresh concept executed to the point and should be considered for anyone that likes gaming on the move and is excited about a return to form from Nintendo.

I wouldn't say it's a fresh concept at all. More like Nintendo made an already existing concept easier to execute. Laptops and tablet/smartphone devices have been able to display on a TV for quite some time. Either wirelessly or wired, or even with a dock.

I wouldn't say it's a fresh concept at all. More like Nintendo made an already existing concept easier to execute. Laptops and tablet/smartphone devices have been able to display on a TV for quite some time. Either wirelessly or wired, or even with a dock.

This is like saying consoles back in the day weren't a fresh concept because home computer's already existed, or handhelds weren't a fresh concept because you could play games on your phone or calculator. In the realm of traditional videogames, which we're obviously limiting this to, it is

tommyguns

I wish the joy con physical connection to the switch itself was as smooth as the connection of the joy cons going onto the joy con grip. Seems to attach much smoother on the grip than the console itself

PSFan

This is like saying consoles back in the day weren't a fresh concept because home computer's already existed, or handhelds weren't a fresh concept because you could play games on your phone or calculator. In the realm of traditional videogames, which we're obviously limiting this to, it is

Um no? I can play traditional multiplat video games on my laptop, with traditional controls. Either on my TV or on the go. And I've been able to do that long before the Switch was revealed.

mojo2

Neo Member
Um no? I can play traditional multiplat video games on my laptop, with traditional controls. Either on my TV or on the go. And I've been able to do that long before the Switch was revealed.
You're comparing the form factor of a laptop to the Switch... Seems like you have no clue about it in practice.

Ok I need help. How do I disable the parental controls restriction for accessing internet settings? Every time I go in to internet settings it says this festure is restricted bt the parental controls app and I'm forced to enter a pin to temporarily disable the restriction. This is getting really annoying. I don't see any option to permanently disable this restriction.

Maybe your parents don't want you meeting with those settings, little guy.

PSFan

You're comparing the form factor of a laptop to the Switch... Seems like you have no clue about it in practice.

The screen on my laptop detaches from the keyboard to become a tablet. The power, hdmi out and other ports are on the keyboard. So I "dock" it in my keyboard, much like how the Switch docks. Seems like you're the one without a clue, really.

Ok I need help. How do I disable the parental controls restriction for accessing internet settings? Every time I go in to internet settings it says this festure is restricted bt the parental controls app and I'm forced to enter a pin to temporarily disable the restriction. This is getting really annoying. I don't see any option to permanently disable this restriction.

Yea, that part is ridiculously annoying. I only downloaded the app to keep track of many hours I played different games, but knowing now that that information is available on the profile screen makes the app useless for me.

TheFuzz

Looking at my office keyboard, the oft-used keys have those glossy spots on the finish where it's been used heavily. I guess we can expect this to happen to the switch. I really hope they release a matte white finish like the n3DS.

Try Fast RMX in the meantime. It's essentially F-Zero.

I love F-Zero and Wipeout, and was looking forward to Fast RMX. I got it two days ago, on the first night I played a few races and kept losing, couldn't get a good grip on the controls/difficulty... wasn't having fun and went back to Zelda.

Then last night before starting Zelda I thought "hey, maybe I should play some Fast RMX" then I remembered not having fun the night before and I didn't want to play it, I even felt regret for buying it. Played Zelda for a few hours instead.

Then just as I was about to turn off and sleep, I spotted Fast RMX on my home screen and fired it up... I don't know what happened but this time I was placing 1st place on most races, 2nd place at worst, and I was having a total blast! Purchase redeemed.

Moral of the story: don't judge a game too soon :p

On another note, don't get why developers keep putting chromatic aberration in their games and make it default. Game looks a lot better without it in my opinion.

On another note, don't get why developers keep putting chromatic aberration in their games and make it default. Game looks a lot better without it in my opinion.

I agree but at least this game lets you turn it off. I guess there's someone out there who likes it, somewhere.

fantomena

My Switch arrived today. Some questions:

1) Can I rearrange the game icons?

2) How do I make a US eSHop account?

3) Should Zelda take long time to download? Have a 100/100 Internet and it takes 30 min to get 10%.

4) What is this for? Don't understand.

http://imgur.com/a/URFJt

aBarreras

3) Should Zelda take long time to download? Have a 100/100 Internet and it takes 30 min to get 10%.

i can only answer for 4,

is the joy con grip, you can put both joy cons there to make a more traditional controller,

and those are the joy con straps, just like wii remote straps, are there so the joy con wont fly out when you move them swiftly

also, has anyone left joycon stop making a good loud CLICK when insterting it on the grip or the switch? mine does not make that loud sound anymore.

im not talking about how the switch does the "click sound"

Future

Switch concept is awesome. What they nailed is:

- controllers attached to tablet itself making it the best gaming tablet around
- instant separation of controller OR second separate controller that connects quickly. So controller "switching" is just as fast...no fumbling through Bluetooth menus
- Great sleep mode.
- resolution switch when going to docked to handheld is painless and fast

Just really solid and makes you "switch" non chalantly and more often than expected. Good shit and super flexible. I kinda want a second dock now for a separate tv just to make switching even more convenient. And the controller on the tablet itself: more companies can easily copy that. It really makes it a gaming machine first

deleted

It's fresh in the same sense WoW was fresh when it came out. It's connecting the parts that were there before in a way that's seamless, easy and affordable.

Gaming on the go is nothing new, gaming at home neither, even connecting both isn't, but the way they managed to put all of it together from the Dock, the OS up to the control options make it stand out and fresh.

Crazyorloco

I fly 4000 kms a week for work and I've just done my first flight with a switch and SWEET LORD BABY JEBUS was that not the best flight of my life!

Zelda + Switch + battery pack + headphones = some sort of gaming time warp...

Next time, I'm bringing the joy con grip FTW

Yeah, that's pretty much my set up too. I enjoy traveling even more now. The switch makes gaming on the go feel like a premium experience. I freaking love it. I can't wait for more games. I think i'll be ready to leave my 3DS alone for good soon.

This one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3ASPNV/?tag=neogaf0e-20

1. No
2. Go to accounts.nintendo.com. Create a new account, with the Country as United States
3. Try 5Ghz band if you're not already.
4. The JoyCon Grip...you put the JoyCons in it.

Kyzer

Banned
Wasnt there someone here who successfully added electrical tape to the joycon rails in order to make the fit more snug? Need guidance

nickerous

Is there a grip for the portable mode joycons? I know about the grip for when they are detached, but what about while attached. I love the Switch, but after a while, my left hand goes numb. My thumb and index finger are fine, but the rest go to sleep after playing for a while. Anyone else have this issue? It is worth noting that I have massive hands. No issues with the right hand though...

I am trying to decide between

-I am Setsuna and Disgaea?

I've never played a Disgaea game before.

I am also going to get FAST.

Disgaea isn't coming out until May so might as well get I Am Setsuna for now and Disagea later.

If you absolutely have to choose.. I would still go with Disagea because you're looking at ~100 hours of gameplay (or more).

I am Setsuna is like a 15 hour game or some bullshit.

nickerous

also meant to say I took the wife and girls to see Beauty and the beast and there was a switch add before the movie. Pretty good marketing there Nintendo

I got roped in to seeing that Friday. No switch commercial here, but I worked at the theater in 1998 and remember splicing in the Ocarina of Time commercial before movies. Still have the 35mm film from that commercial somewhere. Good times.

Hmmmm. I had my first crash on the Switch. Not sure if it was Zelda or the system.

Playing in Handheld mode on the train, I was playing Zelda. I spoke to Beedle in Rito Village and a message came up saying "An Error has occurred. Please restart your system". I restarted and reloaded and everything seemed fine after that.

That's after 50 hours of Zelda.

Yea happened to me except I put ~90 hours into Zelda, ~15 into Shovel Knight and ~10 into Binding Of Isaac. Woke Switch up from sleep mode (with Isaac cartridge in), and it turned off after like 30 seconds. Thought it went back to sleep but nope - got that message (console was docked so I saw when I took it out).

We're probably fucked. Bet you that error is gonna start happening more often :'(

Ninja Dom

I'd like Nintendo to allow us to email screenshots from the album. I send postcards of my Zelda journey to my sister and posting to Twitter to grab the shot then deleting the tweet is tiresome.

I found out in another thread that you can copy your screenshots to the Micro SD then email them from your comp with that Micro SD in it.

marrec

Banned
Aw shit, I have to fly to Montreal in a week and my Waterfield case won't be in by then...

I'm going to have to get an inferior case for the trip :-/

But everything is out of stock...

Ninja Dom

Playing in tablet mode using the joy cons is giving me an input lag. I tried it for the first time yesterday and it was pretty obvious during my BOTW session. Gonna be tough to play games like Smash and timing-based games like Rhythm Heaven in that mode.

That's odd. I prefer tablet mode over handheld mode when I don't have access to a TV. No input lag for me. Do your joy-cons have enough charge?

What silly nonsense to argue about. No ones interested in a argument about the switch versus your laptop.

It will unlink your Nintendo Network account, and you will lost any funds you have. Outside of that, you're free to swap regions. The game will be registered to your EU account. You might have to swap regions in the future for any DLC that might be released, however.

I did this to pick up Shovel Knight from the Mexican eshop, where it was almost $10 cheaper then on the US store.

So, I could change my United States Nintendo Account to Japan, buy PuyoPuyo Tetris, and then switch it back to United States and still be able to play it? To me that is probably better than having a separate Japan account on the system (which I did to get the demo).

Losing wallet funds isn't a concern for me -- ain't got any. Can I just re-link my Wii U/3DS Nintendo Network ID afterwards?

Ninja Dom

Yea happened to me except I put ~90 hours into Zelda, ~15 into Shovel Knight and ~10 into Binding Of Isaac. Woke Switch up from sleep mode (with Isaac cartridge in), and it turned off after like 30 seconds. Thought it went back to sleep but nope - got that message (console was docked so I saw when I took it out).

We're probably fucked. Bet you that error is gonna start happening more often :'(

Mine occurred also about a minute after coming out of sleep mode.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
They really marketed the shit out of this during the NCAA tourney games. Great move by Nintendo IMO as that hit's a huge chunk of the gaming age demographic, as well as families.

I can't even count how many times I saw the Switch ad with having games on constantly (and usually playing Switch handheld other than when my team was playing or working while watching) Thursday-Sunday.

linkboy

So, I could change my United States Nintendo Account to Japan, buy PuyoPuyo Tetris, and then switch it back to United States and still be able to play it? To me that is probably better than having a separate Japan account on the system (which I did to get the demo).

Losing wallet funds isn't a concern for me -- ain't got any. Can I just re-link my Wii U/3DS Nintendo Network ID afterwards?

That's what I did with Shovel Knight. Changed my region to Mexico, bought/installed the game, then changed my region back to the US.

Japan might be a bit different with foreign credit cards, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom