• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K18 |OT| 1,000 VC needed to enter thread.

atr0cious

I had thought switch wasn't until the 18th for some reason.
Same, lol. I was even stalking the Twitter trying to figure it out.

For switch games: SW-3499-6684-7486

I plan on trying to get good at this as I'm only buying it to play with a friend, so feel free to add me for a quick ego boost.

Just waiting for the postman to deliver this :(

Can't remember if I made a SF or PF in the prelude but iirc he was a 6'10 pure lockdown defender because FUCK scoring points.

I only played mypark on 2k17 but I wouldn't mind giving Pro-Am a go if we can get a few more players so Xboners give me a shout.

I'm glad there's an OT for this cause I have a question I want to ask.

So I don't watch modern basketball anymore. Last time I used to watch hard was in early 2000's. I also have not a played a modern basketball game since Live '03 (which had my favorite player on the cover). I've dabbled with a few 2K's, but at best I played one full game and at worst, a few minutes. Anyway, I guess my question is, how impenetrable is this series/this game to someone in my situation?

Bern mulling over this for a while, but I didn't want to create an entire thread about it.

I don't watch basketball at all, all my basketball experience came from NBA Jam in the 90's and then a couple of NBA Street games.

I picked it up without too many problems, some of the strategy took a little bit longer but it's not impenetrable by any means. You actually paid attention to basketball at some point in your life so you already have a huge head start over me.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Put in a full 48 minute game last night on Switch and I'm starting to like it more and more as I go along.

There's a different feel to the player locomotion this year that I was having a hard time identifying. Things feel a bit "slower." For a while, I wanted to blame the different feel on the cut to 30fps, but it seems like that was misguided. Also, I think I needed to adjust a bit to using that shorter analog stick on the Joycon.

Seems like defenders are less of an immovable object this year. I seemed to have an easier time taking people off the dribble whereas, in the past, it felt like defenders were able to cut off driving lanes and magically stop the ball way too easily. I played as CHA vs POR and Kemba felt like a beast with the ball in his hands.

StereoVsn

I caved and will pick up from BestBuy after work. Then comes the agonizing decision time for my Center build. Had a 7'3" rebounding/post scorer in Prelude but he was a bit too slow for my taste.

The amount of VC that would take you to 85 is supper annoying (190K). Haircuts and other things I am not worried about as you earn enough during play.

Sanjuro

CZ36Yk6.jpg

Are compression shirts glitchy for anyone else? It's really bad for my player and everyone else on the team with compression shirts. I swear these dudes can never get accessories right.

Sanjuro

He's on the splash screen exactly like this, but my Euro cover still has the Cavs uniform on it. Is this an updated cover for USA? 2nd print run?

This might be the first 2K game I've gotten in a decade. Last time I played, I couldn't do anything because the animations were trying to be too cute where it affected gameplay.

I'm guessing the cover is probably shipping now, but won't be available for pre-orders?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
so whats the best way to get acquainted with the games mechanics?

play a bunch of games before creating my player ? i have no idea what position / build to make

Very, very impressed with the Switch version. Kudos to 2K for a feature complete and great looking game. The lack of 60fps/cloth physics sure are a shame, but not at all detrimental to the game, which plays like a dream.

Zafir

play a bunch of games before creating my player ? i have no idea what position / build to make

Mine hasn't finished downloading yet but in previous games there was some training stuff, doing that and maybe just playing a quick match or something should help you get to grips with the controls.

When I first played I jumped straight into career mode without understanding the controls or rules, and screwed up the starting match which determined what team you got put in. I think I ended up in one of the worst teams, lol. So yeah, I'd get to grips with the controls/rules first.

BDGAME

I have to wear glasses, but are you sure about that? The Wii U face modeling looks like clay.

I only see on my phone right now.
The skin, the details in shirt, the lighting looks better on Wii U. Maybe a better screen can make justice for the switch's version.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

Yeah, I think that's probably your best bet. Check out the "2KU" training mode under "Play Now" too. That should teach you most of the inputs for advanced post/shooting/dribble moves. When playing MyPlayer, you're locked to your character but, in a regular game, you control all 5 players. If you want to practice playing a single character in Play Now, there should be a player lock option somewhere in the controller settings in the pause menu that will allow you to pick a position to lock your control to. This will give you an opportunity to focus on different player types and also practice playing off the ball on offense and defense. Definitely try out the different positions because it would be a bummer to pick a 7'3" C only to find out down the road that your favorite thing to do in the game is dribble circles around dudes with a 6'0" PG.

atr0cious

Everything I've read about the career and player systems has been intimidating. I tried to get into 16 on my pc, but could never meet my game goals so I had a bum as a player. I tried to play as a PF though, so I'm going to see if just a different position will help.

I feel wrong buying this on Switch...

By the time I get this on PS4, MyPlayer is going to be soooo behind. The grind looks very long just from watching YouTube and I refuse to buy VC, especially if I'm double dipping.

Downloaded Switch version. Excited to play but even more excited to see so many new people interested in trying it because it's on switch. Can't wait to see 2K official reaction.

Also be careful when buying digita version. The trend of putting different priced versions of the same game nearly got me to purchase the most expensive version as that's the first to pop up. I can see somebody hitting buttons too quickly and buying the 100.00 game over the 60.00 version.

Especially worrisome on a Nintendo system. I prefer higher priced SKUs if the same game to be accessible as a sub menu WITHIN the standard version Eshop screen. It just feels like trickery on these digital marketplaces the way it's currently done.

Switch Screenshots:

sS9Vq9h.jpg

BOsfUJb.jpg

gwVeYLs.jpg

BbnLkZn.jpg

Don't let anyone tell you this game looks bad.
Tried it in docked and portable mode and it's razor sharp, great colors, smooth and no jagged edges like Mario Kart 8.

Love this game. THANK YOU 2K!!!!

jon bones

Mine hasn't finished downloading yet but in previous games there was some training stuff, doing that and maybe just playing a quick match or something should help you get to grips with the controls.

When I first played I jumped straight into career mode without understanding the controls or rules, and screwed up the starting match which determined what team you got put in. I think I ended up in one of the worst teams, lol. So yeah, I'd get to grips with the controls/rules first.

Yeah, I think that's probably your best bet. Check out the "2KU" training mode under "Play Now" too. That should teach you most of the inputs for advanced post/shooting/dribble moves. When playing MyPlayer, you're locked to your character but, in a regular game, you control all 5 players. If you want to practice playing a single character in Play Now, there should be a player lock option somewhere in the controller settings in the pause menu that will allow you to pick a position to lock your control to. This will give you an opportunity to focus on different player types and also practice playing off the ball on offense and defense. Definitely try out the different positions because it would be a bummer to pick a 7'3" C only to find out down the road that your favorite thing to do in the game is dribble circles around dudes with a 6'0" PG.

thank you! v helpful

Tubobutts

After previously only playing MyCareer as a guard of some sort, making a 7'3 athletic center with the longest wingspan makes your stats sucking matter less.

I only buy 2k to play MyCareer mode and I cannot believe that the story trappings they put around it get cornier every year. I've been playing since I got off work, almost 4 hours ago, and I've only gotten through two regular season matches so far. I wasn't going to mention it until seeing the thread tagline, but I kept getting pop-ups in the corner about a VC sale currently ongoing in the middle of my matches, which is just...what the fuck?

2k14 had it right: just let me play a rookie showcase game and get drafted according to my skills, man. And stop calling me DJ. My nickname is Garbage Man. And why is my 6'10" power forward shorter than almost everyone in all the cutscenes?! It's killing the immersion. /s

Aside from those complaints, the game feels more or less identical to the previous two years, at least on PC. Which is fine.

Edit: Why is every comment in this thread about the Switch version? Am I in the wrong thread?!

ron_bato

Played about 3 games with my friend online. And the net code seems much improved this year. In fact, we get zero lag, and its the most responsive its ever been for me. Fuck yes.

I have not tried playing anyone through play now online yet though.

Crazyorloco

Edit: Why is every comment in this thread about the Switch version? Am I in the wrong thread?!

I get a good feeling the switch version is going to sell decent.

I forgot how hard the game is when you first start my player. Also it seems I can't change the length of the game to 12 minutes after my player has been created? Does this happen to anyone else? (in any version Xboxo/PS4/switch).

PikkonX

This runs and looks amazing on Switch. I'm playing with my coworkers now and I quickly learned that I know nothing about how to truly play. One of my coworkers is a damn expert. I'm hitting 2K University as soon as I get home.

This runs and looks amazing on Switch. I'm playing with my coworkers now and I quickly learned that I know nothing about how to truly play. One of my coworkers is a damn expert. I'm hitting 2K University as soon as I get home.

It's such a great game. Everyone who don't buys it because of the 30fps is misses out on a gem.

Game looks bad on ps4 in my opinion how are y'all saying it look amazing in switch? Character models all seem either off or downgraded from previous years. Graphics and character models got to be the most disappointing thing for me this year

BDGAME

Switch Screenshots:

sS9Vq9h.jpg

BOsfUJb.jpg

gwVeYLs.jpg

BbnLkZn.jpg

Don't let anyone tell you this game looks bad.
Tried it in docked and portable mode and it's razor sharp, great colors, smooth and no jagged edges like Mario Kart 8.

Love this game. THANK YOU 2K!!!!

Now we're talking!
Amazing shootings you put.

Game looks bad on ps4 in my opinion how are y'all saying it look amazing in switch? Character models all seem either off or downgraded from previous years. Graphics and character models got to be the most disappointing thing for me this year

I wouldn't say it looks bad, but I'm playing in "4k" on the highest settings on PC and it looks largely indistinguishable from 2k16-17 to me.

StereoVsn

Hmm... didn't seem that way during Prelude on the Pro, not sure about regular PS4. Graphics seemed fine although lack of haircuts and facial hair was annoying due to VC lock-in.

I haven't played the full game yet but I did like the gameplay changes especially on defense. Renounding and blocking seemed better, weight and height actually mattered a lot more, animations seeemed more fluid, shot percentages got tapered off.

I will see if anything got screwy tonight but hope for the best.

tookhster

Apparently, you can't even preview a haircut before you buy it with VC.

And it gets worse..... you don't even get to keep the haircut after you bought it. Yes, you read that right. You have to buy the same haircut again if you switch back.

Had this been any other game in any other genre, there would be an outrage over the microtransaction practices of this game, but since it's 2K, people just eat the shit up.

I only buy 2k to play MyCareer mode and I cannot believe that the story trappings they put around it get cornier every year. I've been playing since I got off work, almost 4 hours ago, and I've only gotten through two regular season matches so far. I wasn't going to mention it until seeing the thread tagline, but I kept getting pop-ups in the corner about a VC sale currently ongoing in the middle of my matches, which is just...what the fuck?

And this along with the VC bullshit is why I went with Live 18 for the time being. I've had it with 2K's cringefest with the cutscenes and all the BS you have to go through inbetween games. Go to the 2K subreddit and the first page is full of people complaining about waiting 10+ mins watching unskippable cutscenes. Your player this year sounds like the corniest guy ever.

Schnozberry

Copying my post from the other thread because I think it's pretty dead:

I'm happy with tmy Switch purchase. I played a game before I went to work this morning, both docked and undocked, and I think it looks and plays great considering the hardware.

For people who had a previous version for the XB1 or PS4 (I have a PS4 Pro), the adjustment to 30fps took me most of a game to get accustomed to. The animation timing is a bit different and it'll throw you off for a bit. After a while it was fine, though, and I think it was worth it for the trade off to play portable. I'm going to try and get through a game or two on my lunch break and see how it feels.

Hmm... didn't seem that way during Prelude on the Pro, not sure about regular PS4. Graphics seemed fine although lack of haircuts and facial hair was annoying due to VC lock-in.

I haven't played the full game yet but I did like the gameplay changes especially on defense. Renounding and blocking seemed better, weight and height actually mattered a lot more, animations seeemed more fluid, shot percentages got tapered off.

I will see if anything got screwy tonight but hope for the best.
I'm playing on a regular ps4, it doesn't look particularly good. Definitely not a step up, then again maybe my expectations too high

jon bones

is the face upload feature in Switch?

i see articles saying it will come later, but isnt that useless bc ill already have myplayer by then?

FX-GMC

I get a good feeling the switch version is going to sell decent.

I forgot how hard the game is when you first start my player. Also it seems I can't change the length of the game to 12 minutes after my player has been created? Does this happen to anyone else? (in any version Xboxo/PS4/switch).

Its in the options accessible from the main menu.

Shari

is the face upload feature in Switch?

i see articles saying it will come later, but isnt that useless bc ill already have myplayer by then?

You can alter your char appearance at any given time and you can upload your face multiple times to get it just right.

It actually works pretty good, had to retry because lighting wasn't appropriate on my first set of pictures but had a pretty good end result on my second batch.

chaislip3

Very impressed so far. Gameplay is the smoothest it's been, load times are much faster, and the servers are actually holding up.

I had to up the 3pt shooting in the sliders because wide open shots just weren't falling but other than that it's been a blast.

Top Bottom