• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading (March 2009)

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Musashi Wins! said:
Canticle is a treat. Enjoy.

It definitely was. The whole 3rd portion of the books imagery will stay with me for a long time. Certain culminating scenarios even longer. Wonderful, wonderful book.

Time to start on this...

xfw495.jpg

Uncle

The ones in finnish are:
-Watchmen
-Life of Pi
-Information: The New Language of Science

Still in the mail:
-Last Argument of Kings
-The Name of the Wind

I went on a bit of a spending spree. Started with The Blade Itself.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Just finishing up:

2w7ihrt.jpg

Nights of Villjamur by Mark Charan Newton. A cool, noir-ish fantasy – should rank high on the list of debuts being released this year.

Hoping my copy of Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie will arrive soon.

aerts1js

I'm about halfway through this now, it's so good. No shit, though, right? Can anyone recommend me some more post-war American classics. I'm really in the mood for this shit right now, but I'm malnourished and can't make decisions for myself.

This bad boy is next:

Might do some more Vonnegut and Murakami after.

I finished Dorian Gray a few weeks ago, definitely a great read. I also finished A Thousand Splendid Suns a couple days ago and I would recommend that as well but the book that i'm currently reading is

Catch22_cover.jpg

aidan

Cyan said:
On to:

200px-Ghost_Brigades.jpg

Good, though doesn't quite live up to the previous volume. That seems to be a recurring theme lately.

Love Scalzi. I discovered him last summer and just devoured the first three OMW books. None of them are quite as good as the first, but damn fun in their own right.

thomaser

FINALLY finished Robert Musil's "The Man Withous Qualities" a couple of days ago. Both volumes took around two months to read. Great, great book, one of the grandest I've read. Musil never finished it before he died, and it's easy to understand why when you read it. There are just too many loose threads. The last parts he wrote suffers from this - it's like he got in a rut and didn't know how to continue. I loved it anyway.

41KDQM4TVHL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Now, I've started "Snow" by Orhan Pamuk, who won the Nobel Prize of Literature three years ago. A Turkish journalist travels to Kars, a small city in the mountains near the border to Armenia. He goes there to cover the municipal elections, and to find out why so many young women commit suicide there. I'm just a small part into it, and it already has a very bleak, tense atmosphere. The last chapter I read was very powerful, and I won't spoil anything by saying how. Everything is struggling between opposing forces: east vs. west, secular vs. religious, Islam vs. Christianity vs. atheism... Very good so far, have high expectations for the rest.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So I just finished
031286504x01lzzzzzzz.jpg
yesterday.
I fucking loved it. The book is really different than the movie.
I think I like the book better
The only problem I have with the book is that it's short. The one I have has a bunch of other tales by Richard Matheson right after I Am Legend and so half way through the book (pages wise) at around 160, I feel the story coming to an end. I think though, I've got so much book left, how is it going to keep going. Then it ends, and I'm disappointed that the rest of the book isn't I Am Legend. That doesn't take anything away from the story however, it hooked me and I finished it in a few short days. I loved it.

Next I think I'm going to dive into my backlog and read...

n41375.jpg

It's a long one, but I'm out of school and have a lot of time on my hands so I'm hoping to fill it with some Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy.

Cdammen

Stranger on a Train: Daydreaming and Smoking Around America with Interruptions

I'm only 80 pages into it but I like it so far. Self-revelations and strange meetings coupled with great writing makes this book an interesting read. I'm also reading this on my commute by train so it fits perfectly. I also generally really like journal-esque writing. I'd also recommend Bruce Feiler's Learning to Bow: Inside the Heart of Japan... it being a travel/observation/realization book like Jenny Diskis'.

I'll soon be reading Pappersväggar by John Ajvide Lindqvist (they guy who wrote Let The Right One In) and then maybe I'll finish a documentary book.

Can anyone recommend some good sci-fi? I was thinking of reading Ender's Game... but I dunno much about this genre, I've only read Douglas Adams' books.

Ryu

51PZSeT1ScL._SS500_.jpg

Got it Saturday. About 200 pages in now. It's certainly not great so far. But it's interesting to have some of the future war stuff fleshed out a bit. Timothy Zahn needs a thesaurus for this. Everyone grits or furrows their brow or something. There has to be another way to describe discomfort.

aidan

Cdammen said:
Can anyone recommend some good sci-fi? I was thinking of reading Ender's Game... but I dunno much about this genre, I've only read Douglas Adams' books.

Ender's Game is fantastic.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Cdammen said:

If your looking for Sci-fi, definitely get this

Philip K. Dick: Four Novels of The 1960s (Library of America): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1598530097/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I also just found about this

The Ascent of Wonder: The Evolution of Hard SF: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0312855095/?tag=neogaf0e-20

992 pages of various Science Fiction stories

FnordChan

Last week I finished Post Captain, the second book in Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series. It was just as good as Master and Commander, if not better, which is to say it was a damn fine read. I'm looking forward to picking up H.M.S. Surprise in the very near future.

First, however, I decided I should work on the ol' backlog a bit. I'm currently about a third of the way through The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. So far it's as good as everyone makes it out to be.

Next up will be Jim Butcher's latest Dresden Files novel, Turn Coat, due out on April 7th. Woo!

FnordChan

Vinci

Danish
Anyone know of a really good Einstein biography? My wife is looking to read one and I thought I'd ask in here.

Where do you guys go to keep up with what's coming out and what's worth reading? I know that there are thousands of books that I should probably be reading and more are coming out all the time, but I have no idea where to go to find out what they are.

Really, it's threads like this or asking people at the library that does it for me.

Now I'm gonna start reading Murakami's work. Should I start with Kafka on the shore or Norwegian wood ?

Norwegian Wood is infinitely better, but less surreal. I love everything I've read by him, so I might be biased. After those two I'd get Wind-Up Bird Chronicles, Dance! Dance! Dance!, and maybe one of his short story collections.

I just finished:
blindwillow.jpg

And have read 1/3rd so far of:
making_of_the_atomic_bomb.jpg

mjc

I'm reading this for a literature class, but I'm enjoying it alot.

51XPYhRHtAL._SS500_.jpg

Next up is The Name of the Wind.

Top Bottom