• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading (March 2009)

mr stroke

ARTIE.jpg

Just finished it. Didn't think I would care for it much but came out loving the book. Fast read that is heartbreaking and funny at the same time.

Trying to figure out what to read next....

Gaf seems to love "Generation Kill" so maybe that?

Undeux

Just finished The Count of Monte Cristo for fun along with Ethan Frome and John Locke's Second Treatise of Government for class... now moving on to Graham Greene's Quiet American for the fun side, and I don't even want to know for class.

Anyone read anything else by Dumas? Are The Three Musketeers and its sequels worthwhile?

29dhaph.jpg

This will be my biggie for the month, really enjoyed Simmons' 'The Terror,' and a Charles Dickens mystery thriller from him sounds simply delightful.

yonder

0486270629.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Just finished A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen and it really struck a chord with me. I could see some of myself in Thorvald and that made me regret a few things that I've done, which was unexpected. I can definitely see why it's so famous and revered.

0141441496.jpg

Just about to start Lady Chatterly's Lover by D.H. Lawrence. I've heard a lot about this one; let's see if it's any good.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
^ Ooh, I love A Doll's House. So good.

Kinda slow going, but I'm reading this.

2i96oeq.jpg

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I just picked up that Susan Jacoby book too.

I'd love to hear some impressions about "Drood". The premise is awesome.

I'm reading some more Schopenhauer, and waiting to get "Use of Weapons" by Banks from Amazon.

Also, this

51vlaa96THL._SS500_.jpg

Ceres

Banned
At some point I'll start reading it this month:

2jc7ggp.jpg

I finished Elantris finally after originally picking it up about a year and a half ago. Finished the last few hundred pages in a week once I really got into it.

bengraven

I don't know what to start.

I want something Neil Gaiman-ish (can't find Graveyard Book) or old school fantasy (Mervyn Peake, CS Lewis, Frank L. Baum, etc).

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
bengraven said:
I don't know what to start.

I want something Neil Gaiman-ish (can't find Graveyard Book) or old school fantasy (Mervyn Peake, CS Lewis, Frank L. Baum, etc).

Have you done His Dark Materials yet?

Baker said:
10wiat0.jpg

I'm about half way through and it's awesome. I'm going to start that Fire and Ice book everyone keeps harping about once I'm done.

Just got to the section 'Total War' last night. It's amazing how believable Brooks makes everything! Loved the interview with the astronaut and how each interview carries something over from the previous.

bengraven

Wow, just read the first three pages of The Book of Lost Things and I'm heartbroken. The second paragraph must have been written and re-written a dozen times; either that or Connelly is the new poet novelist. It was brilliant and sad...

Not only because of the death of the mother, but also because I will NEVER be able to write something so beautifully.

Jill Sandwich said:
Have you done His Dark Materials yet?

I read the first 100 pages and really liked it, but was more into some old Robert Howard Conan collections at the time, so I borrowed it to a friend. I'm still waiting for that to come back. Can't wait to try it again.

I really want to find Gormengast (sp?) by Mervyn Peake after seeing a recommendation in one of these threads a year or so ago, but I can't find a copy anywhere. Have to check online.

TheWiiCast said:
Just got to the section 'Total War' last night. It's amazing how believable Brooks makes everything! Loved the interview with the astronaut and how each interview carries something over from the previous.

Yeah, I finished it last month. I think the book needs to be a trilogy of stories that take place during the War. I mean, there are MILLIONS of stories that can take place during that 10 or so years that can be retold.

Salazar

Rereading:

A Feast for Crows.
A Corner of a Foreign Field: A Social History of Indian Cricket, by Ramachandra Guha.
Brewer's 'Rogues, Villains, and Eccentrics'.
The Dice Man.

thomaser

Still reading Robert Musil's The Man Without Qualities. Have been at it since early January. It's long and difficult, what can I say? It's so clever and interesting and witty that I just have to keep turning the pages, though. Around a third to go of the whole two-volume work, so it will probably turn up in the next reading-thread as well (I think this is the third or fourth it's been in so far).

By the way, mac, I'll definitely pick up Flannery O'Connor's Wise Blood sometime. Sounds brilliant!
And for fans o' Flann O's, I very much recommend Flann O'Brien's The Third Policeman. A surrealistic must.

MaritalWheat said:
This will be my biggie for the month, really enjoyed Simmons' 'The Terror,' and a Charles Dickens mystery thriller from him sounds simply delightful.

Glad to hear "The Terror" is good, I am going to be picking it up real soon.

I'm working my way through The Stand by Steven King. I'm also almost donewith Olympos by Dan Simmons. I'm in a scifi mood right now, so my next book is "Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton, its sequel Judas Unchained, Spin by Robert Charles Wilson and then Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons. I hope I picked some good books.

BigAT

2crwzsi.jpg

I just finished reading Michael Lewis' The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game. It was quite enjoyable, it explores the evolution of the Left Tackle position in football through the story of Michael Oher, who went from living in one of the poorest areas in Memphis to being a soon-to-be multi-millionaire when he gets drafted in the first round of the upcoming NFL draft. It was also quite interesting in that there is actually some overlap between this book and Bruce Feldman's Meat Market in that both books have some insight on the Ole Miss football program around 2004-2005. Both books are great reads for anyone interested in collegiate football.

104romr.jpg

I just started reading The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt, which should keep me busy for a while. Roosevelt has always been my favorite president and I wanted to get more insight on his life beyond just the textbook version.

-Kees-

2ly0j2p.jpg

Started reading it last week, about 1/3 of the way through. My new years resolution is to not take so damn long to read one book.

Science and Culture in Traditional Japan (A.D. 600-1854) - Sugimoto and Swain

Yeah, it's a book I picked up for a required outside reading for a class but pretty interesting stuff.

nyong

Banned
Just finished

ceremony.jpg

Read half of this today...

TropicOrange.jpg

Both books for a comparative literature course. A novel every week(ish), so I have not had time for pleasure reading, not that these books are not enjoyable.

Tapiozona

Banned
A bit of a sucker for fantasy books and recently got into a new series that has me completely hooked..8 books in a month or two so far and going strong..reading this one now...

Fafnir

Just finished reading:
51-YzL74HnL._SS500_.jpg

Will start on the next book in the trilogy after finishing All Star Superman Vol. 2

51-9S2bqhtL._SS500_.jpg

mr stroke

Fanboydestroyer said:
I'm working my way through The Stand by Steven King. I'm also almost donewith Olympos by Dan Simmons. I'm in a scifi mood right now, so my next book is "Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton, its sequel Judas Unchained, Spin by Robert Charles Wilson and then Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons. I hope I picked some good books.

I am in the mood for some SciFi as well and everyone on GAF seems to have read-

HYOPER.jpg

Whats the consensus on this?
the Amazon reviews are all over the place from "the best scifi of the last 20 years" to "uneven"

?

newsguy

Just finished The Watchmen (just in time).

I have a question for those who have read both the Zombie Survival guide and World War Z. I read and enjoyed most of the Zombie Survival Guide but the back end of the book that tells the different stories of encounters bored me to death and I didn't finish it. Is WWZ more engaging than those parts, because if it's written in a similar fashion I do not want.

Karakand

mr stroke said:
the Amazon reviews are all over the place from "the best scifi of the last 20 years" to "uneven"

?
He writes for people that read books. If you don't read a lot I wouldn't really recommend him.

Just finished

24wbmo0.gif

Working through

15yw85j.jpg

Seriously. Who in the hell makes covers for science books? They always look like they were hastily put together for some powerpoint slideshow.

2m7f4id.jpg

I'm actually going to finish it this time. Usually I quit about 150 pages in.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
mr stroke said:
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x166/MRSTROKER/HYOPER.jpg

?

It's generally considered great, but it didn't do much for me. There were certainly some very good parts, but I didn't feel it stood up as a whole. Also, it ends on a very, very silly cliffhanger, so you should get the second book at the same time.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
newsguy said:
Just finished The Watchmen (just in time).

I have a question for those who have read both the Zombie Survival guide and World War Z. I read and enjoyed most of the Zombie Survival Guide but the back end of the book that tells the different stories of encounters bored me to death and I didn't finish it. Is WWZ more engaging than those parts, because if it's written in a similar fashion I do not want.

World War Z was much more interesting to read than the ZSG. I don't remember if the parts in the end were written in a similar fashion.

Top Bottom