• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman |OT| The World is Ready for You, Gal Gad [SPOILERS]

That was my main problem with the ending.
It felt like they were going for a different theme for the rest of the movie till the "love overcomes all" turn.

My take is
Diana's beliefs are challenged upon learning Ares was preying on human nature and they're more complex than the stories she heard of heroes and villains. You have hints of it across the movie, say with Chief mentioning people like Steve robbed his people of their land. So she comes to term with the complex nature of man and why love has potential to overcome the complexities.

AndersK

Glad to hear it's turning out to be good, CBM-Bros. Especially because it's female-led.
Enjoy it, until those select few turn up to inform you of its absolute objective turribul-ness. This is, after all, a CBM-thread.

I hope you have shots for every 'forced'.

Hot damn. I might go see this in the cinema. Cap 1 is the secret mvp of the MCU.

ReiGun

My take is
Diana's beliefs are challenged upon learning Ares was preying on human nature and they're more complex than the stories she heard of heroes and villains. You have hints of it across the movie, say with Chief mentioning people like Steve robbed his people of their land. So she comes to term with the complex nature of man and why love has potential to overcome the complexities.
Further,
love overcomes makes sense given Steve's sacrifice. He refused to let Diana be the one to sacrifice herself because he loved her and believed she could save the world. Steve, who himself was a corrupt man (his job is to be a spy [aka a liar, the antithesis of everything Diana stands for]
was able to make the ultimate sacrifice and save thousands because he loved her.

I do think that could have been better weaved into the overall narrative, but the pieces were there and I didn't feel like it was out of place.

My take is

Further,
love overcomes makes sense given Steve's sacrifice. He refused to let Diana be the one to sacrifice herself because he loved her and believed she could save the world. Steve, who himself was a corrupt man (his job is to be a spy [aka a liar, the antithesis of everything Diana stands for]
was able to make the ultimate sacrifice and save thousands because he loved her.

I do think that could have been better weaved into the overall narrative, but the pieces were there and I didn't feel like it was out of place.

But the way Steve's character was built up to the point,
he would have done it even without Diana. It wasn't a redemption arc for him. Even at Themyscira, when he wasn't in love with Diana yet, he was driven with the urge to not be the person who chooses to do nothing. An urge to fight against the horrors he had seen.That's why I think "he did it for love" makes no sense. That should have been the turning point for Diana. That, while Ares showed her that humans were willing to commit those horrors even without direct control by him, there were still humans who choose to not take that path.

a916

I thought the turning point was
realizing love overcomes all. Once she decides to spare Doctor Poison

But
I'm not sure how that let's her over power Ares, she powers up after Steve dies, then obliterates everyone, then as Ares eggs her on, she discovers compassion,
and ... clobbers Ares. Each on their own are fine, and the entire thing is good to watch,
but I don't know how they connect to be honest. That said, that's 10 minutes of a stellar movie.

shira

what is this, sailor moon or something

yes please

f72722df2884efcc20517a1f44946bbf.gif
fItcJI2.gif

basically

Because I'm weak!

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I live for spoilers. Every book I read I either read the end first or look it up on Goodreads. I live on the west coast, so I follow the live threads from people on the east coast. I very rarely don't look at spoilers.

AndersK

I live for spoilers. Every book I read I either read the end first or look it up on Goodreads. I live on the west coast, so I follow the live threads from people on the east coast. I very rarely don't look at spoilers.

I don't know what to say, but i'm pretty sure this is the part where i call you a monster.

Well, whatever Gals your Gadot. But earnestly, can i ask why? I feel spoilerphobia is probably at the point of overblown hysteria, but to actively seek it?

Penguin

Also, and I guess we're use to this by now, but like literally just as I'm thinking "wow we haven't seen her in costume yet" the reveal happens. I wonder if it was just timed at the right time. They tease it enough.

And it's worth the wait

ReiGun

When Sameer said he wanted to be an actor, but ended up as a soldier because he was "the wrong color" to act....breh. That shit hit me hard.
mjcry1.png

When Sameer said he wanted to be an actor, but ended up as a soldier becauase he was "the wrong color" to act....breh. That shit hit me hard.
mjcry1.png

True. That line and Chief's "his people" line definitely hit hard. I actually would have loved it if the movie spent more time in that section.

Penguin

True. That line and Chief's "his people" line definitely hit hard. I actually would have loved it if the movie spent more time in that section.

I wouldn't be opposed to the sequel taking place in the same time frame with WW teaming up with the group and Etta.

But the way Steve's character was built up to the point,
he would have done it even without Diana. It wasn't a redemption arc for him. Even at Themyscira, when he wasn't in love with Diana yet, he was driven with the urge to not be the person who chooses to do nothing. An urge to fight against the horrors he had seen.That's why I think "he did it for love" makes no sense. That should have been the turning point for Diana. That, while Ares showed her that humans were willing to commit those horrors even without direct control by him, there were still humans who choose to not take that path.
Oh I didn't think her turn was about steves love for her at all. It was her seeing in Steve the capacity to love other people - people he didn't even know personally - even to the point of his own death. It showed her that love can overpower the complexities of human depravity and evil. He did it for love, yes -- love for people who were as corrupt and flawed as himself and who would otherwise perish.

Few things fell flat for me though. None of the humor really landed at all. I felt the Ares reveal basically came out of nowhere, because they wanted to have a twist in there. And this may just be a personal quibble, but I felt that Trevor's sacrifice was way too reminiscent of Cap's "sacrifice" in The First Avenger.
The humor really worked in our theatre (and for me personally).

I agree the reveal came out of nowhere to propel the final portion of the movie (I had that same quibble with GotG2). I don't think it's because they "wanted to have a twist," but rather that they couldn't find a better way of bringing about the revelation in the runtime of the movie.

Trevor's sacrifice, and more specifically the actor's performance in carrying it out, though, is head and shoulders above Cap's sacrifice in the first avenger. Multitudes of subtle yet intense emotions conveyed in such a short span of time.

This is a touch nitpicky, but I question just how useful this hydrogen based mustard gas.

It's an intriguing idea at face value, but hydrogen is so flammable (as the film establishes with the way the plane is dealt with) that it seems like any attack would quickly just turn into a firebomb. Seems a bit pointless, lol.

Penguin

This is a touch nitpicky, but I question just how useful this hydrogen based mustard gas.

It's an intriguing idea at face value, but hydrogen is so flammable (as the film establishes with the way the plane is dealt with) that it seems like any attack would quickly just turn into a firebomb. Seems a bit pointless, lol.
I thought the big thing was that it ate through face masks

Top Bottom