• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman |OT| The World is Ready for You, Gal Gad [SPOILERS]

Whoa...... that was pretty much perfect!

LOVED that scene when she's saving the village where you actually see the exact moment where she becomes WW and then the WW theme kicks in. Totally badass.

No one wants to see this movie with me on thursday =/ Asked a lady friend of mine, and she said she doesn't like WW, and thinks Xena is cooler... Even asked my Dad if he'd wanna go cuz we see a lot of comic movies together, and he doesn't want to either, because...he doesn't like WW either he says. wtf?

No one wants to see this movie with me on thursday =/ Asked a lady friend of mine, and she said she doesn't like WW, and thinks Xena is cooler... Even asked my Dad if he'd wanna go cuz we see a lot of comic movies together, and he doesn't want to either, because...he doesn't like WW either he says. wtf?

wtf? get better friends.

ReiGun

Dump 'em all.

Man, I hope the Amazons got some upgrades to their armor after getting their shit kicked in by WW1 guns...

maIWA2X.gif

or else this is going to be a bloodbath. :p

Penguin

So thinking on it a bit still eh on the 3rd act but happy that DC just went with it.

Marvel kind of dances around more.... out there elements. Like Thor is presented as another realm not necessarily gods. And Doctor Strange tried to underplay magic

WW is like, nope gods exist and they can come into our story if need be.

I thought the big thing was that it ate through face masks
It is, but I question the practicality of it since the gas would be so flammable. Like I said, it's a nitpick. I think the bigger problem is what the hell is going on with those gas pills Danny Huston takes. Dr. Poison says it will restore his "strength"... which apparently means superhuman strength?

I mean, the main reason I think is just a red herring, to make it seem like Huston is indeed Ares. But that's an indefensibly lazy reason, IMO.

So thinking on it a bit still eh on the 3rd act but happy that DC just went with it.

Marvel kind of dances around more.... out there elements. Like Thor is presented as another realm not necessarily gods. And Doctor Strange tried to underplay magic

The third act worked for me because of the Steve / WW relationship and how it plays out... managed to save it from being an average superhero CGI climax...

Gods are dead. Ares killed them. Wonder Woman is the last after she killed Ares.
Well unless somehow Poseidon survive for Aquaman movie.

ReiGun

DC's New Gods are the same as Marvel's Nordic Gods. They are aliens with alien tech. No magic.

Clarke's third law.

The New Gods have regularly been treated as, well, gods. They're often held up alongside the patheons of other gods that exist within the DCU. Entire stories have been built around their status as deities/living concepts as opposed to organisms. Where the DCEU takes them remains to be seen, but generally, their status is that of gods and not just funky aliens.

Clarke's third law.

The New Gods have regularly been treated as, well, gods. They're often held up alongside the patheons of other gods that exist within the DCU. Entire stories have been built around their status as deities/living concepts as opposed to organisms. Where the DCEU takes them remains to be seen, but generally, their status is that of gods and not just funky aliens.

Yeah but Greek Gods in this movie was told to be the creator of mankind making them literally our Gods. It's not specify that their powers are magic, science or biology, but they are different from alien "gods" for sure.
Is there any chance of Steve Trevor in the present? Time travel or freezing. Anything like that?

Absolute zero.

Yeah but Greek Gods in this movie was told to be the creator of mankind making them literally our Gods. It's not specify that their powers are magic, science or biology, but they are different from alien "gods" for sure.

Absolute zero.

It depends how they handle things, but the idea of multiple/confused cosmologies isn't a new one. I kind of expect them to handle things that way. Darkseid as a literal embodiment of tyranny works way better than Darkseid as a big grey alien asshole.

mrkgoo

Just got back from this. Loved some parts, others were just ok. Overall good.

Gal Gadot is distractingly pretty.

Not without flaws, but I like it a lot. The film feels like old fashion superhero films (such as Superman: The Movie, Spider-man 2, The First Avenger). The second act is the best part of the film, while the first act is okay and the third act is a bit weak but ultimately did not ruin the film.

Penguin

Gods are dead. Ares killed them. Wonder Woman is the last after she killed Ares.
Well unless somehow Poseidon survive for Aquaman movie.

Eh I've learned a lot in my life

And one thing I know is those gods lie

Awful beings so could be alive or in hiding!

Meowster

My dad is so excited to see this.. we are gonna go on Friday together and have a blast. So happy that it seems to be really good.

Ahasverus

Yeah, the movie makes it 100% clear that Ares has always looked like David Thewlis. I'm not sure if that's better or worse than making him transform fully into CGI creation, but it is a bizarre choice.
The mustache was weird haha. But can't hate on that. Count me in the camp of the ones that thought we were gotten big, beef blue skinned Ares. It was actually a good surprise.

His dialogue was just too damned hammy, hahaha, like it was literally from Superman '79. That and the very last shot are the only things I didn't like. The villains were too cartoonish ("It will be so.. terrible.. mwahaha")

The mustache was weird haha. But can't hate on that. Count me in the camp of the ones that thought we were gotten big, beef blue skinned Ares. It was actually a good surprise.

His dialogue was just too damned hammy, hahaha, like it was literally from Superman '79. That and the very last shot are the only things I didn't like. The villains were too cartoonish ("It will be so.. terrible.. mwahaha")
Yeah there's a good amount of camp in it, which led me to believe that the villain was also handled intentionally like that, mustache and all.

My sis got burned by SS and don't want to see the movie despite the growing reviews. The real reason is most likely she is busy now but she did make time to see GTOG vol2 lol. She will most likely watch it when it on home media, guess I will wait and watch together with my family then.

There are toy pictures
Toy-Fair-2017-Mattel-DC-029.jpg

The toy is missing the
2nd set of horns/tusks/moustache

Just saw it. Best DC movie since the Dark Knight. and best comic book movie in the last few years [I havent seen Logan yet, but have the 4K UHD on pre-order]
I understand the comparisons the the Christopher Reeves Superman movies, and surprisingly they do fit.
I also thought the new DC opening credit logo was kinda cool.

Only 2 things i didnt like about the movie. one small one bigger.
I didnt like how they have treated the Gods by having them all killed by Aries. and the other was that the final set piece, the fight between Aries and Diana and seemingly killing Steve Trevor was just too over the top and fell apart a bit. It was like some shit from the Avengers movies and didnt fit the tone of the movie.
I think killing Steve [if he is dead] was a mistake. he was great and played well off Diana.
They should of used Hephaestus as the one who made the sacred weapons. and had something about the Tartars pits.

Etta Candy was great and should of been used a bit more, The Aries reveal was done OK.

The action was great. I didnt have any issues with the slow-mo it felt like it was used well to show you more of what was happening rather than making it feel like a epic fight. The CGI at times was a little raw and stuck out too much, but generally not distracting.

I hope that this is the start of how DC movies will be handled from now on.

Patty Jenkins did a great job, and the cast was great.

They would be smart to get another Wonder Woman movie started soon, and have her as the heart of the DC universe. Looking forward to Justice League more because of how they developed the Wonder Woman character. But it was a huge mistake by not having this movie before Batman V Superman.

The toy is missing the
2nd set of horns/tusks/moustache

Just saw it. Best DC movie since the Dark Knight. and best comic book movie in the last few years [I havent seen Logan yet, but have the 4K UHD on pre-order]
I understand the comparisons the the Christopher Reeves Superman movies, and surprisingly they do fit.
I also thought the new DC opening credit logo was kinda cool.

Only 2 things i didnt like about the movie. one small one bigger.
I didnt like how they have treated the Gods by having them all killed by Aries. and the other was that the final set piece, the fight between Aries and Diana and seemingly killing Steve Trevor was just too over the top and fell apart a bit. It was like some shit from the Avengers movies and didnt fit the tone of the movie.
I think killing Steve [if he is dead] was a mistake. he was great and played well off Diana.
They should of used Hephaestus as the one who made the sacred weapons. and had something about the Tartars pits.

Etta Candy was great and should of been used a bit more, The Aries reveal was done OK.

The action was great. I didnt have any issues with the slow-mo it felt like it was used well to show you more of what was happening rather than making it feel like a epic fight. The CGI at times was a little raw and stuck out too much, but generally not distracting.

I hope that this is the start of how DC movies will be handled from now on.

Patty Jenkins did a great job, and the cast was great.

They would be smart to get another Wonder Woman movie started soon, and have her as the heart of the DC universe. Looking forward to Justice League more because of how they developed the Wonder Woman character. But it was a huge mistake by not having this movie before Batman V Superman.

It's a spoiler thread, dude.

I disagree with your two issues. I think getting rid of the Greek Gods is a smart decision given that the New Gods are coming up. Not only does it get a bit messy with numerous pantheons running all over the place, but it helps establish what kind of power level we can expect from gods in this universe.

As for Steve Trevor, I agree that he plays off Diana really well but you're talking about a 30-ish year old character in World War I. I don't think they're doing another period piece, so the dude's dead no matter what.

Agree that they could've spent a bit more time giving a bit of history to the weapons/equipment but I feel the same way about the Themyscira part as a whole. I can understand why they kinda rushed through that stuff though, cause even once they leave, there's still a lot more setup to come. Hopefully they expand on that stuff with the home release, even if it's just a list of deleted scenes.

I think my only problem with the movie is that the Aries reveal didn't really feel like it was earned. It just seemed like it came out of nowhere, for a character we'd seen in like 5 scenes prior to that. I think they could've done a better job with that.

Otherwise though, I loved it. Even the big CG fight scene at the end.

To quote myself from the review thread

I just got done watching WW with my coworkers at a theater I work at. It was amazing. Everyone who saw it loved it. A majority of us didn't care for MoS, BvS or Suicide Squad. A lot of us expressed the opinion that it restored faith that the DC universe could become good. I loved it, though I had some minor issues with it.

Overall fantastic. Best DC movie by a huge margin and one of the better super hero movies in general. Ares introduction was amazing and unnerving. Gal Gadot was impecable in the roll. It feels like DC has a blue print for how to do these things right. Some minor issues I had was the whole Born Sexy Yesterday aspect of Diana when they arrived in Britain and also with this being WW1 I can't help but feel really bad for the German soldiers going up against Diana. It's like watching a gorilla stomp on ants. It's not like WW2 where they're nazis. These are people conscripted into a machine that eats human lives on a scale never before seen and refusal to fight means death.

I disagree with your two issues. I think getting rid of the Greek Gods is a smart decision given that the New Gods are coming up. Not only does it get a bit messy with numerous pantheons running all over the place, but it helps establish what kind of power level we can expect from gods in this universe.

As for Steve Trevor, I agree that he plays off Diana really well but you're talking about a 30-ish year old character in World War I. I don't think they're doing another period piece, so the dude's dead no matter what.

Agree that they could've spent a bit more time giving a bit of history to the weapons/equipment but I feel the same way about the Themyscira part as a whole. I can understand why they kinda rushed through that stuff though, cause even once they leave, there's still a lot more setup to come. Hopefully they expand on that stuff with the home release, even if it's just a list of deleted scenes.

I think my only problem with the movie is that the Aries reveal didn't really feel like it was earned. It just seemed like it came out of nowhere, for a character we'd seen in like 5 scenes prior to that. I think they could've done a better job with that.

Some people still cry about unmarked spoilers if the movie isnt out yet in America.

I have always liked the when the old gods are in Wonder Woman stories. and expected them to play a bigger part.

The Aries reveal seemed to come as a shock but it was set up well with little moments thinking back about when he was used on screen.

I just didnt like how big they went with the final fight, and they hadnt gone so big and over the top. even with it being between a god and a demigod it felt like the end of Age of Ultron which i didnt like.

I think somehow Steve will be back. When i found out this was set in WW1 i was somewhat disappointing because of what it would mean for Steve Trevor in the current day movies. Chris Pine was great, and the chemistry between Steve and Diana will be missed, It seems like Bruce Wayne will be a possible love interest for Diana in the current day stuff.

One line i would of liked was when Steve regained consciousness on the beach, was him saying "My Angel" to Diana as another call back to the comics.

Act 1 did have some parts about the history of the Amazons rushed but if they went much deeper it would of been too long. Hopefully we will learn more about the history of them in future films

Some people still cry about unmarked spoilers if the movie isnt out yet in America.

I have always liked the when the old gods are in Wonder Woman stories. and expected them to play a bigger part.

The Aries reveal seemed to come as a shock but it was set up well with little moments thinking back about when he was used on screen.

I just didnt like how big they went with the final fight, and they hadnt gone so big and over the top. even with it being between a god and a demigod it felt like the end of Age of Ultron which i didnt like.

I think somehow Steve will be back. When i found out this was set in WW1 i was somewhat disappointing because of what it would mean for Steve Trevor in the current day movies. Chris Pine was great, and the chemistry between Steve and Diana will be missed, It seems like Bruce Wayne will be a possible love interest for Diana in the current day stuff.

One line i would of liked was when Steve regained consciousness on the beach, was him saying "My Angel" to Diana as another call back to the comics.

Act 1 did have some parts about the history of the Amazons rushed but if they went much deeper it would of been too long. Hopefully we will learn more about the history of them in future films
Steve's not coming back and I prefer it that way. It gave some weight to the events of the movie and to Diana's journey in understanding herself and humanity. The fact that they played so well off each other made it even more impactful to lose him. Him coming back would completely undo that impact.
LiquidSolid said:
Hopefully they expand on that stuff with the home release, even if it's just a list of deleted scenes.
Apparently it's been confirmed by Jenkins that they basically shot the shooting script and there are no additional scenes.

Alienfan

Really, really well done movie. The tone was perfect, it treated its emotional scenes with weight they needed, separating them from the humour (unlike Disney seem to be with Marvel at the moment). While still being funnier than Guardians 2. Wonder women was terrific as a character, to the point where I actually want to rewatch Batman v Superman just to see how her character has changed in a modern setting. Gal Gadot's facial expressions told their own story, you could tell what she was thinking just by looking at her face, she had such good range that sold me on wonder woman on a way that I wasn't expecting going in pretty skeptical of Gal Gadot. And the fighting, holy crap, it felt like magic. Expertly directed and choreographed I couldn't tell where the cgi doubles started and ended.

Which makes the final part of film so baffling with its junky Zack Snyder green screen effects. It was also so cliche, I'm not quite sure what happened (felt like it was written by a studio exec). The messaging was at complete odds with the rest of the film, I feel like there must have be some script changes. But whatever 85% of the movie was amazing.

They better not fuck her character up in Justice League.

Talking with friends who saw it this week, I'm reminded I would've liked to learn about Wonder Woman's suit. You can infer it's another gift of the gods but it's peculiar. Maybe it's what Hippolyta once wore.

Pachimari

Just came out of the cinema.

Gotta collect my thoughts. My first impression is, that Wonder Woman is a brilliant and safe film, which is is by no means a bad thing. The movie had a very solid foundation and setup, it tells it well and transitions you smoothly through the phases with stunning and hard punching visuals. It says something about the film, when the bad stuff are nitpickings, like "a few too many uses of slow-motion," and a "tad too slow a pacing through the second to third act." It is surely an Origin, an origin better executed and with more passion than other competing origin stories in its genre.

Before going into the cinema, I had read a few impressions about the third act and a fight that occurs, and coming out if the cinema I cannot quite agree with those not liking it. I can see it being a usual superhero CG fest that has to come by that time in the movie, but it was well executed, had very good reasons to occur, and the movie set it up as something that was needed, not just for peace, spectacle or reason... but for the greater good. To send a message, a message to herself. To shape herself, as Diana.

Penguin

Talking with friends who saw it this week, I'm reminded I would've liked to learn about Wonder Woman's suit. You can infer it's another gift of the gods but it's peculiar. Maybe it's what Hippolyta once wore.

Yeah that was an odd thing

They showed why the Lasso is important. The tiara was gifted to her. The sword made sense. Shield even

But why did she change her costume...

I thought something was off about him but my friends thought he was Ares right from when he funded them.

nOoblet16

So Wonder Woman isn't exactly a meta human but a proper God then?

What are Zeus and others like in DC universe? Are they Gods or just Demi Gods while there is still a superior God like the one above all in Marvel universe?

Just came out of the cinema.

Gotta collect my thoughts. My first impression is, that Wonder Woman is a brilliant and safe film, which is is by no means a bad thing. The movie had a very solid foundation and setup, it tells it well and transitions you smoothly through the phases with stunning and hard punching visuals. It says something about the film, when the bad stuff are nitpickings, like "a few too many uses of slow-motion," and a "tad too slow a pacing through the second to third act." It is surely an Origin, an origin better executed and with more passion than other competing origin stories in its genre.

Before going into the cinema, I had read a few impressions about the third act and a fight that occurs, and coming out if the cinema I cannot quite agree with those not liking it. I can see it being a usual superhero CG fest that has to come by that time in the movie, but it was well executed, had very good reasons to occur, and the movie set it up as something that was needed, not just for peace, spectacle or reason... but for the greater good. To send a message, a message to herself. To shape herself, as Diana.

I agree, the fight and the setup were good, specially after what happens right before.

There were some cool moments and I liked how Ares even used bombs and parts of weapons to attack Diana.

Ahasverus

So Wonder Woman isn't exactly a meta human but a proper God then?

What are Zeus and others like in DC universe? Are they Gods or just Demi Gods while there is still a superior God like the one above all in Marvel universe?
Literal Gods. There is a meta God (the abrahamic God, given Lucifer is an actual character) but doesn't interfere.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder Woman taught me that evolution is a lie

Producer Charles Roven on the script and story credits,

http://collider.com/wonder-woman-script-changes-writers-charles-roven/ said:
Really early on, before Patty came on the project, we put our toe in the water with two writers. They took completely different approaches on the material—one was the Crimean War and one was World War I, but a completely different World War I experience. We had quite a Writers Guild arbitration with a number of writers because we had a lot of writers, and then there were the preceding writers and the other incarnations of the development of Wonder Woman. But for our Wonder Woman we didn’t like the ultimate take on those scripts, even though they’re talented guys, and Zack [Snyder] and Allan Heinberg then collaborated on a story. We had a different director on at that time, and that director—which was OK’d by the studio—brought a number of writers on. We had more writers working with—everybody had knowledge because you can’t do it with the Writers Guild without telling everybody what you’re doing and everybody has to be OK—but we had more writers working at the same time than I’ve ever done. In the history of all the movies that I’ve done, it never worked out that way before.

“While there are things that most of [the other writers] contributed that are in the script, there wasn’t anybody who ended up making such a contribution that they were able to get a credit. A guy by the name of Jason Fuchs got the third position in the ‘Story By’ so it’s Zack Snyder, Allan Heinberg, and Jason Fuchs, but Allan Heinberg got the full screenplay credit. Even though after he wasn’t able to finish working—he had to go back to the TV series that he was working on—Geoff Johns and Patty did a tremendous amount of collaboration. But again based on the rules they weren’t allowed to get any credit, but they did a lot of writing that stuck. So that’s the long-winded version of the answer being that we had a basic arc of a story, but scene to scene it really came together when Patty got involved.

From another interview with Patty Jenkins,

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/complex-gender-politics-wonder-woman-movie-1008259 said:
Jenkins herself came to the Warners lot and pitched her version of a Wonder Woman feature back in 2010. She wanted to make it an origin story set against the backdrop of World War I, beginning with Princess Diana of Themyscira at age 7.

It's interested how that all lined up in the end.

In the comics, Hyppolita was Wonder Woman too. That is probably her old battle outfit.

There are various reasons why Diana has the outfit. Some which try to explain why she's wearing an American flag. But it's a question asked by a friend who isn't versed in comics and it is an omission for movie audiences.

Top Bottom