• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman |OT| The World is Ready for You, Gal Gad [SPOILERS]

What did people make of the "I can save today, but you can save THE WORLD!" line. I thought it was a bit cheesy, but Chris Pine sold the hell out of it.

She should ditch those bozos and hang with some real superfriends
Warner-Bros-Developing-Booster-Gold-and-Blue-Beetle-Movie.jpg
giphy.gif

ThatGuyfromMars

Neo Member
The "I love you" bit should have been cut. Just leave it at "I wish we had more time".

I actually wish they didn't show any of that conversation, leave it up to the viewer to interpret what he said.

While I loved the hell out of Wonder Woman, I didn't like what they did with Doctor Poison or whatever her name is. The porcelain or plastic parts on her face were neat and I felt like there was more to her than wanting to murder people with mustard gas, the scene with the fireplace showed a more complex character

His
death
scene was especially good, dude really made me feel feelings. My wife
cried
, of course.
I did too.

Sai-kun

Banned
im upset that her big motivation for going super saiyan was seeing a dude who she only knew for a week die

Smfh. Everything aside from the cringey romance was great.

How is that sexism? The lack of female superhero movies (and the terrible quality of the few that have been made) have made this movie a political football. There's a lot of people who really, really want this to succeed. In my opinion, it's pretty good, but not high 90s good, relative to what other superhero films have been getting. But like I said, if people liked it more than I did, that's fine too.
I think you're reading the tomato meter completely incorrectly. It simply means that as of now 93% of the critics that reviewed the movie that are counted on RT have given it a positive review. It's not a rating of said movie on a scale out of 100. It doesn't determine to what extent they enjoyed the movie, only that they did. Do you honestly think it's unrealistic that 93% of these critics liked the movie?

kris.

Banned
I feel like a fucking goon for not seeing the Ares twist coming. As soon as the camera panned on Thewlis in the room it hit me and I had a genuine "motherfuuuuuck" moment for a second.

Movie was great. Gal in particular was wonderful.

Crashdown

Neo Member
I just saw the movie, and dear lord, it is WAY TOO LONG. The middle of this movie draaags. I actually really liked the first thirty minutes or so, but the rest of it was pretty boring. Doesn't help that it basically apes the plot structure of Captain America and quite literally steals a Captain America setpiece for the finale.

Wonder Woman is only marginally better than the other DC movies, imo. Way disappointed over here.

Grisby

I enjoyed this. The third act hit the cg stick too hard, but everything else leading up to that was pretty fun. The first trench run leading into the town was hype as shit.

This didn't feel like a Marvel movie nor did it feel like any of DC's other outings (which is a pretty positive thing to say considering their last three attempts). I don't think the film was too dark in the way the other DC movies have been but at the same time it didn't give me that 'hey everything's alright, have a smirk and a joke' feeling that a lot of Marvel's films go for (I really most of the Marvel films I've see by the way, Guardians 2 was a lot of fun).

I think the thing that surprised me the most was how Wonder Woman and Steve's relationship blossomed. The two actors did a great job and I want to say it's one of the better comic book romances I've seen in a while. It's simple and I enjoyed the hero role reversal. Really reminds me of Superman and Lois in Donner's original film.

Would watch again.

I knew Huston wasn't Ares but didn't fucking clock Thewlis at all and I feel dumb about it

I also like how he was purposely not directly intervening, more influencing things behind the scenes or in his human form being extremely ineffective by design. He wanted to be shouted down. He expected Steve's shitty crew to fail and cause trouble. etc etc etc.

Also he clocked Diana before she even said a word in that meeting

Sean C

I feel like ultimately they don't care all that much about consistency with BvS at the expense of telling the story they want.
I agree, and I think that was the right choice.

When this movie was announced and they talked about a more optimistic tone, I was kind of confused in that they seemed to be locked into a rather pessimistic ending. I was kind of expecting Steve to die in some way that made Diana give up, and maybe that was Snyder's original idea for the film, since he has a story credit.

If so, as I said, a good idea to change it, because Diana ignoring all the horrific stuff that happened in the ensuing 100 years because her boyfriend died doesn't make her seem very heroic.

I think you're reading the tomato meter completely incorrectly. It simply means that as of now 93% of the critics that reviewed the movie that are counted on RT have given it a positive review. It's not a rating of said movie on a scale out of 100. It doesn't determine to what extent they enjoyed the movie, only that they did. Do you honestly think it's unrealistic that 93% of these critics liked the movie?
No, I know how the Tomatometer works, and in theory it's possible for 100% of critics to rate a movie positively while only rating it a 3/5 (which is reflected in RT and Metacritic's rating systems). But you don't usually see that. When a blockbuster gets above 90% (hell, when a movie in general does that), it's rare; only the very best of the genre manage it, generally. If you had asked me in isolation to guess this movie's RT score, I'd have said mid 80s. But like I said in the original quote, maybe people just did like it better than I did (and I quite liked it).

Astral Dog

Reading around online, and man, the internet is about to be really fucking weird about this movie.
The romance angle is going to turn quite a few heads im sure, but for the better i think we need more couples in animated/comic book movies that actually work together, not simply ignoring it or making predictably cookie cutter kisses.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but otside of the Ares madness, I think the most nonsensical part of this movie was that cocaine gas Dr. Maru created. Like if you have a gas that can turn dudes into supersoldiers, who even cares about creating a toxic hydrogen gas? :lol

kswiston

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but otside of the Ares madness, I think the most nonsensical part of this movie was that cocaine gas Dr. Maru created. Like if you have a gas that can turn dudes into supersoldiers, who even cares about creating a toxic hydrogen gas? :lol

They can rediscover it in the future and use it for DCEU Bane.

Ahasverus

Their kiss was amazing. The best in years. Felt earned as fuck. Nothing like "It's all downhill from there first kiss" in the ruins of Metropolis.

BTW, I realized the photo was important because it was the only proof of Diana's existence, given the gas killed all the village who saw her.

Also, WW should have just told Steve to take a knee and threw that plane into the atmosphere.

She was super disoriented from the explosion, but she was still telling him to wait and let her handle it. Almost guaranteed that if she tried Ares would've nuked the plane

I liked the scene where she got ice cream a lot.

I'm hoping there is a pizza scene in the sequel.

Between her and Supergirl, the heroines love ice cream

Rooster12

I just saw the movie, and dear lord, it is WAY TOO LONG. The middle of this movie draaags. I actually really liked the first thirty minutes or so, but the rest of it was pretty boring. Doesn't help that it basically apes the plot structure of Captain America and quite literally steals a Captain America setpiece for the finale.

Wonder Woman is only marginally better than the other DC movies, imo. Way disappointed over here.

It steals a setpiece from Cap?

None of the reviews I've read talked about that.

Sean C

The romance angle is going to turn quite a few heads im sure, but for the better i think we need more couples in animated/comic book movies that actually work together, not simply ignoring it or making predictably cookie cutter kisses.
I'd call this the best superhero romance of the current age of superhero films. It being "one and done" is a help there, since it can do a whole arc, so we don't have to worry about some bullshit like Tony and Pepper breaking up offscreen because Gwyneth Paltrow is too expensive of whatever.

I really, really hope that future movies leave this alone, because it was perfect as it was.

LOL, I thought the same thing. Doctor Poison can create a gas that turns dudes into superhumans, but has a hard time creating a gas that corrodes gas masks? I'm pretty sure we have existing chemicals that can do that.

It steals a setpiece from Cap?

None of the reviews I've read talked about that.
Steve Trevor's final act is eerily similar to Steve Rogers' actions at the end of The First Avenger.

ReiGun

I mean, yeah. The romance is definitely part of it. I've already seen some accuse Steve of mansplaining - which, to be sure, is a fair read even if it's not one I agree with.

But even further than that, we got people coming up with conspiracy theories about how the movie is only getting positive ratings because of the "SJW Agenda" or whatever, people debating whether Gal Gadot is a women of color, that foolishness with the Alamo, and all manner of other things.

One would hope the first Wonder Woman movie could just come out and not have people starting showing their ass, but here we are.

I felt that whole thing was a red herring for the audience. Doctor Poison explanation was something like, "these pills will restore your strength." Not "sniff this to get yoked." Inference being, these pills help Ares restore his godly powers.

kswiston

There was some rumor months ago that the Amazons in the film didn't know what sex was. At least that turned out to be false.

Sean C

Minor thing: Hippolyta says that if Diana leaves she may not come back, which...why, exactly? Steve and the Germans found it easily enough.

There was some rumor months ago that the Amazons in the film didn't know what sex was. At least that turned out to be false.
Yeah, I was concerned about that, because while I get that the movie probably can't be too explicit about the Amazons having same-sex relationships, actively nuking the notion by including dialogue of that nature would have been a wholly unnecessary action.

They do include a few allusions to it, most obviously Diana's comment about men not being necessary for pleasure. Though she didn't know the word "marriage".

Wait, now that I think of it, another quibble I had meant to make: the handling of languages in this movie is really weird. Now, that the Amazons shouldn't realistically be speaking English is something writers have developed a variety of patches for over the years when telling this origin story. The movie understandably wants to cut right to the chase, so the Amazons seem to be able to magically speak every language (seeing as they've had no contact with the outside world, but Diana displays several different contemporary dialects), which is fine. However, all the Germans speak English in their scenes, rather than German with subtitles, both on their own and when they're interacting with other characters meant to be speaking English. Which, okay, that's a somewhat dated approach, but it's not exactly unheard of. Except that we then get scenes where Diana and Sameer switch through several different languages, and it is subtitled.

ReiGun

Minor thing: Hippolyta says that if Diana leaves she may not come back, which...why, exactly? Steve and the Germans found it easily enough.

I figured the implication was Ares might kill her. Also, Steve and the Germans just kind of stumbled across the island. Diana may not know the way back.

kris.

Banned

I took it as more of a hey if you leave this place there's a possibility you won't come back kinda thing, not like she's forbidden from ever returning.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
For a protection supposedly created by the most badass of gods designed to protect those inside it being found by another god, that barrier was so flimsy even normal humans using boats can go right through it no problems, lol.

Sean C

There was a post I saw purporting to be a spoiler which claimed that Thewlis was Ares and that Huston's character was the Duke of Deception, one of Ares' minions from the comics, so while watching the movie I was expecting the reveal to be that there were supernatural forces working together to pit both sides against each other. That would have made more sense, I think.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So the Amazons leave the island, which is a huge deal according to WW's movie, have a massive battle but they never meet with Diana?

That would be pretty dumb.

I thought the movie was great, definitely best DCEU movie so far, and hopefully a sign of things to come. Gal was awesome, she played an amazing role as an optimistic, hopeful hero who genuinely wants to believe the good in people and save them all. Chris Pine outdid his own Kirk by far. He was charming, witty, flawed, and always trying to show Diana what the world is really like but also rekindle her belief in humanity's good. His
death
scene was especially good, dude really made me feel feelings. My wife
cried
, of course.

I see that DC/WB can do it. Please please please fix Superman now. There are already now two movie heroes that out-Superman Superman.

This is a spoiler thread, you good bro.

Quick

Banned
Quick review time: It's great.

Longer review:

I thought it was a great movie, and it might be one of the few times I want to see an extended version of a movie (I don't usually bite on Director's Cuts), only because I wish there were more scenes in Themyscira and more scenes with Robin Wright and Connie Nielsen. Also more London shenanigans with Diana blending in (this might've gotten old quick though).

On that note, the almost-2.5 hour runtime flew by for me. Bouncing from Themyscira to London to Belgium was a breeze. I had almost no issues with pacing - it moved along just fine. One of my favourite scenes is Hippolyta telling the story of the Gods to Diana in both a stylized flashback and a montage. Kill two birds in one stone - exposition and progression.

By the way, that animated painting flashback is amazing. So many parts of it I want in print to hang up.

Anyway, the story as it moves along keeps it simple - find Ares and kill him. Help people along the way. No further exposition needed. As I mentioned earlier, I do wish there were more scenes in Themyscira, because I don't think we got enough Hippolyta and Antiope.

One small issue I had was how conveniently the movie wraps itself up at the base. Wonder Woman killing Ludendorff and Ares immediately popping up kind of just ramped up. But it's not a big deal in the end.

Humour was restrained. Not laugh-out-loud stuff, but appropriately subdued. I think Pine's mastered being quippy with a semi-serious face from playing Kirk.

The movie had a lot of heart, and while it might've been cheesy, the conclusion that love conquers all (or something along those lines) was a great contrast to the setting. Diana almost never swayed from wanting to help people and I thought they nailed that well, especially when she finally decides to do something and kick ass in No Man's Land and going into the town.

On characters: they were great. No performance I can fully criticize since everyone did their part. Danny Huston's German villain is particularly campy, but in a good way.

Gal Gadot was very good. Diana was more than just the electric cello theme, if that makes sense. In Batman v Superman, she was the badass Amazon warrior, but Wonder Woman really rounds her out. Gadot's acting seems to be a focus of discussion on top of her physical appearance, but I thought she handled the material well. The character having a fish-out-of-water experience might be the best way to have depicted her.

Chris Pine is almost always reliable, and he's reliable once again here. Steve was a super likeable character. Pine and Gadot had great chemistry together. I think the fish-out-of-water experience with Diana works well with Steve essentially being her guide in the world. There isn't a lot of backstory on Steve, and thankfully there isn't a Katana-like attempt at explanation - his watch traps the souls of the women he sleeps with?

Sameer, Charlie, and Chief were excellent Howling Commandos partners for Diana and Steve. Each one gets their small moment - Sameer explaining the discrimination in the acting industry because of his skin colour; Charlie suffering from PTSD ("he sees ghosts"); and Chief, who didn't really involve himself with either side at first and just profited from the war.

David Thewlis had little to do, but the twist reveal of being Ares was awesome. Just when you thought Ludendorff was your guy - NOPE. Damn that was good.

Other stuff: Cinematography was great. The Amazons fighting in slow-mo was a nice touch, on top of the choreography. Really sold them as elite warriors in how they're all synchronized. It didn't feel like they were going through paces either.

The colour grading wasn't super gritty blue either. If anything, I thought it enhanced the look of the WW armour. The switch from the brighter yellows of Themyscira and the blues of Europe was a nice touch as well.

I admittedly wasn't paying too much attention to the score, but I'm happy that the WW theme was kept at a minimum. I don't hate it, but I didn't want it blaring and obscuring everything else. The Sia song in the credits was a nice bookend to the movie, I'm glad that comic book movies have moved on from grunge rock songs. Sells the whole love theme well vs. an Evanescence track or something.

Anyway, I hope this made a lot of sense. I really enjoyed the movie and I'll probably watch it again soon.

Poona

So just saw this.

I thought it was good but I guess I was expecting a bit more. Like where we're the creatures of Greek mythology? I didn't see any minotaurs, griffins or pegasus and so forth on themyscira (not even a kanga if you wanted to go the other way). Didn't see Diana's empathy with animals either, although they showed her having a bit on concern for a horse at some stage I guess.

Oh and a bit bummed we didn't see her return to themyscira after the war was over. It's like she just stayed hidden in america, or Europe or somewhere else in the world afterwards.

Also not much explanation for her costume or why she even bothers wearing a tiara with it too.

vypek

I saw it and enjoyed it for the most part. I disliked the acting of a few people. Namely, the line delivery of (chief?) didn't seem all that great. I think they used slowdowns too much and most of Area fight forward didn't look too good with all the CG. Other CG scenes weren't perfect but they didn't learn super hard into it like at the end.

All in all it was still good and an enjoyable movie

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Did it need an explanation? She's an Amazon. They dress like that.

It kinda is explained, too.

She wonders how women can fight in those dresses, and then rips one when she's trying to kick, so it's kinda obvious that her costume allows her to fight without being restrained.

Tiara was given to her by her mother, and she tells her it belonged to the greatest Amazonian, or something like that.

Top Bottom